Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes transfer request 13:46 - May 10 with 5792 viewsGeorge25

Any Truth? Or just Twitter rumours?
Downes transfer request on 13:58 - May 10 with 3934 viewswkj

Probably just rumours but highly plausible ones

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Downes transfer request on 13:58 - May 10 with 3914 viewsMrTown

I think there is some truth in it.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Downes transfer request on 14:00 - May 10 with 3857 viewsJ2BLUE

Whether he has or not, I would imagine he'd like to get out. He put a transfer request in last year and the last season has done nothing for his career. His problem will be anyone paying the asking price. Palace tried to take the piss last year and they'd probably offer less now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Downes transfer request on 14:02 - May 10 with 3781 viewsmarchy

Downes transfer request on 14:00 - May 10 by J2BLUE

Whether he has or not, I would imagine he'd like to get out. He put a transfer request in last year and the last season has done nothing for his career. His problem will be anyone paying the asking price. Palace tried to take the piss last year and they'd probably offer less now.

Yep. Them's the breaks when you sign a long-term contract, there's always a risk you might have to actually honour it.
Downes transfer request on 14:02 - May 10 with 3784 viewsPique

I could understand him putting in a request last year. Palace were in for him and the prospect of playing for Lambert in League One can’t have been that enticing an alternative.

But now...really? His boyhood club finally looks like it’s going to go somewhere with major investment and a new manager, and he wants to leave? Is anyone even in for him? He hasn’t exactly ripped up League One this year.

Hope it’s all just ITK nonsense, but if it isn’t then I find his decision making slightly bizarre.
Downes transfer request on 14:06 - May 10 with 3671 viewsJ2BLUE

Downes transfer request on 14:02 - May 10 by Pique

I could understand him putting in a request last year. Palace were in for him and the prospect of playing for Lambert in League One can’t have been that enticing an alternative.

But now...really? His boyhood club finally looks like it’s going to go somewhere with major investment and a new manager, and he wants to leave? Is anyone even in for him? He hasn’t exactly ripped up League One this year.

Hope it’s all just ITK nonsense, but if it isn’t then I find his decision making slightly bizarre.

Being ITK is a bit like cold reading. Anyone with a bit of common sense can quickly build up a following in this day and age. Unless you have some undeniable info like Greyhound then you can convince people by building on common sense.

Downes transfer request last year, still in league one = he wants out

It's believable enough for people to take at face value. Would be an interesting experiment to start a Twitter account claiming to be ITK and just exaggerating common sense ideas and see what sort of following you could build.

Truly impaired.

Downes transfer request on 14:08 - May 10 with 3611 viewsHerbivore

He's a West Ham fan so although he's been here since he was young, he doesn't have the emotional attachment to the club that others might. I can't really blame him for not wanting to waste another year of his career in the third division to be honest, assuming there is any truth in these rumours.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Downes transfer request on 14:09 - May 10 with 3545 viewsPique

Downes transfer request on 14:06 - May 10 by J2BLUE

Being ITK is a bit like cold reading. Anyone with a bit of common sense can quickly build up a following in this day and age. Unless you have some undeniable info like Greyhound then you can convince people by building on common sense.

It's believable enough for people to take at face value. Would be an interesting experiment to start a Twitter account claiming to be ITK and just exaggerating common sense ideas and see what sort of following you could build.

Yep, completely agree. With some common sense guesswork you’ll probably be right more often than not.
Login to get fewer ads

Downes transfer request on 14:09 - May 10 with 3525 viewsfooters

Downes transfer request on 14:06 - May 10 by J2BLUE

Alan Nixon's made a career out of it.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Downes transfer request on 14:10 - May 10 with 3502 viewsIpswichKnight

It’s obvious he’s regarded highly by other clubs and understandably he wants to play at a better level than League 1.

We also need to make money to spend money in L1 as FFP is all based on turnover. If someone offers us a reasonable deal good luck to him.
Downes transfer request on 14:12 - May 10 with 3409 viewsstopmoaning

Let him go, Ashton will make sure we get plenty of cash.
Downes transfer request on 14:14 - May 10 with 3373 viewsPique

Downes transfer request on 14:08 - May 10 by Herbivore

He's a West Ham fan so although he's been here since he was young, he doesn't have the emotional attachment to the club that others might. I can't really blame him for not wanting to waste another year of his career in the third division to be honest, assuming there is any truth in these rumours.

True, but at the moment he’s basically the main man in a team that is likely to be significantly invested in in the short term and a club that (we all hope) is about to experience a major turnaround. Personally I’m not sure I’d trade that in to be a Championship squad player (which is realistically where he’d probably end up at present).

But then I suppose I’m a fan, not a footballer, and I don’t have to make as much money as I can in the next ten years while the sun shines.

Still think it’d be the wrong call for him though. If a Prem side come in for him then fair enough, but that seems unlikely.
Downes transfer request on 14:15 - May 10 with 3296 viewsJ2BLUE

Downes transfer request on 14:12 - May 10 by stopmoaning

Let him go, Ashton will make sure we get plenty of cash.

From who? Last summer was the time to strike for Prem clubs after we didn't bounce back. As far as we know, one club came in for him and offered less than half what he's worth.

Unlikely that offer has gone up.

Truly impaired.

Downes transfer request on 14:16 - May 10 with 3279 viewsabracaDOBRA_

I'm pretty sure his stance won't have changed. We're still league 1 and he could be doing better, im sure he'll be moving on this summer for the right fee. Will be a shame
Downes transfer request on 14:16 - May 10 with 3277 viewsSharkey

I guess the boyhood club thing can work both ways. He’s been there for 15 years , and a lot of people would fancy a change of scenery at his age, to ‘flee the nest’.
Downes transfer request on 14:17 - May 10 with 3248 viewschicoazul

Could probably triple his money with a move.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Downes transfer request on 14:18 - May 10 with 3214 viewspointofblue

Downes transfer request on 14:08 - May 10 by Herbivore

The problem is, as said above, he took a step back in 20/21. It depends on how much we want and how much other clubs are willing to pay. How long has he got left on his contract?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Downes transfer request on 14:18 - May 10 with 3216 viewsclive_baker

It sounded like there were a few factors contributing to the transfer request last season, which aren't necessarily still a factor. The club was a complete car crash, Lambert had all but checked out and I can't blame Downes 1 jot for wanting out, especially having his head turned by Premier League interest. I guess it depends to what extent he's bought in to what Cook is doing here. It wouldn't surprise me greatly if he still wants to pursue a new challenge, but as J2 says I wouldn't have thought we would sell him for <£3m and there's no guarantee anyone will pay it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Downes transfer request on 14:20 - May 10 with 3157 viewsclive_baker

Downes transfer request on 14:18 - May 10 by pointofblue

The problem is, as said above, he took a step back in 20/21. It depends on how much we want and how much other clubs are willing to pay. How long has he got left on his contract?

2022 with an option to 2023, so we won't have our pants pulled down.

Downes transfer request on 14:20 - May 10 with 3156 viewsPique

Downes transfer request on 14:16 - May 10 by Sharkey

I guess the boyhood club thing can work both ways. He’s been there for 15 years , and a lot of people would fancy a change of scenery at his age, to ‘flee the nest’.

True, but I think if it was me (and again, I’m a fan, not a footballer) I’d want to achieve something with that boyhood club first, even if it is just a promotion to the Championship.

Dyer, Bramble, Jason Dozzell, Richard Wright etc all had good careers with us before they moved on for big money. Downes, though a very good player with potential, has achieved very little with Ipswich (one relegation). I’d want to set that right before I left.

But then maybe I’m just an old romantic.
Downes transfer request on 14:27 - May 10 with 3008 viewsstopmoaning

Downes transfer request on 14:15 - May 10 by J2BLUE

From who? Last summer was the time to strike for Prem clubs after we didn't bounce back. As far as we know, one club came in for him and offered less than half what he's worth.

Unlikely that offer has gone up.

Then he won't leave, and maybe will have to re-evaluate his worth!
Downes transfer request on 14:36 - May 10 with 2816 viewsclive_baker

Downes transfer request on 14:20 - May 10 by Pique

True, but I think if it was me (and again, I’m a fan, not a footballer) I’d want to achieve something with that boyhood club first, even if it is just a promotion to the Championship.

Dyer, Bramble, Jason Dozzell, Richard Wright etc all had good careers with us before they moved on for big money. Downes, though a very good player with potential, has achieved very little with Ipswich (one relegation). I’d want to set that right before I left.

But then maybe I’m just an old romantic.

I like the sentiment, but I think you would also be conscious that your career is short, and at 22 you've probably got 10 years to go and test yourself at the best level, with better players, the best coaches you can get access to and be the best version of yourself possible.

If Palace renewed their interest and offered a fair amount, you couldn't really begrudge him going for it. Not to mention the £1m a year salary he'll likely be making immediately.

He's older than Bramble and Dyer were when they left, and made more appearances for us than they did.

ITFC has let Downes down if he moves on, not the other way around IMO. If he's outgrown us, then we should've done more to grow with him over these past 24 months.

Downes transfer request on 14:39 - May 10 with 2759 viewsJ2BLUE

Downes transfer request on 14:27 - May 10 by stopmoaning

Then he won't leave, and maybe will have to re-evaluate his worth!

Agree.

Truly impaired.

Downes transfer request on 14:42 - May 10 with 2692 viewsHerbivore

Downes transfer request on 14:14 - May 10 by Pique

True, but at the moment he’s basically the main man in a team that is likely to be significantly invested in in the short term and a club that (we all hope) is about to experience a major turnaround. Personally I’m not sure I’d trade that in to be a Championship squad player (which is realistically where he’d probably end up at present).

But then I suppose I’m a fan, not a footballer, and I don’t have to make as much money as I can in the next ten years while the sun shines.

Still think it’d be the wrong call for him though. If a Prem side come in for him then fair enough, but that seems unlikely.

But we're being invested in as a League 1 side and a turnaround for us constitutes a genuine promotion challenge to get out of the third tier. Why would he want that when he could walk into a number of Championship sides next year and earn more money to boot? He's not a Town fan, and even if he was staying with us isn't sensible if a Championship or Prem side is genuinely interested in signing him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Downes transfer request on 14:49 - May 10 with 2578 viewsElderGrizzly

Downes transfer request on 14:17 - May 10 by chicoazul

Could probably triple his money with a move.

This.

Any move to Championship, or a stretch the PL is going to mean a huge pay rise which we wouldn't and couldn't match
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024