Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rhodes 08:47 - May 11 with 4396 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Rumours we have offered Jordan Rhodes three years. Thoughts?

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Rhodes on 11:24 - May 11 with 1017 viewsChurchman

Age 31, best years behind him. Goal scoring wise, he was brilliant for Huddersfield and Blackburn, but that was more than five years ago now. Experience is a good thing, but as with Waghorn, I hope we mostly try and move on from has beens.
Rhodes on 11:28 - May 11 with 1005 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rhodes on 11:22 - May 11 by jayessess

Coventry and Rotherham barely had any either.

Unlike City, well-run clubs at our level need to develop and improve players they bring in, both because they don't have the budget to get ready-made all the time and because it's how you sell players for big money and build your transfer budget.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 11:27]

...and Wycombe had 8.

As I said, Im not saying there has to be 4-5 in any squad, but as Man City and Wycombe have shown, its not a problem and signings shouldnt be judge on age alone.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Rhodes on 11:32 - May 11 with 996 viewsbluebud

Rhodes on 09:14 - May 11 by JackSted

The fact we are competing with Championship clubs for players says a lot about our owners and their ambition and I'm bloody excited

Excited or naive?
Rhodes on 11:33 - May 11 with 991 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Rhodes on 08:47 - May 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Just saw the FI stuff on twitter, not trying to troll anyone.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Rhodes on 11:41 - May 11 with 966 viewscatch74

Rhodes on 10:41 - May 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Bet you wouldnt turn a 31 y/o Waghorn away.

Ha ha - no I wouldn’t!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Rhodes on 11:43 - May 11 with 956 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Needs to play in a 2 to get the best out of him. This is not happening.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Rhodes on 11:47 - May 11 with 938 viewsjayessess

Rhodes on 11:28 - May 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

...and Wycombe had 8.

As I said, Im not saying there has to be 4-5 in any squad, but as Man City and Wycombe have shown, its not a problem and signings shouldnt be judge on age alone.

Wycombe were a bit of a freak occurrence and don't have anything like our longer term ambitions.

You can't build anything sustained with loads of veterans in your team. You should really be aiming for 2 maximum imo.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Rhodes on 11:54 - May 11 with 904 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rhodes on 11:47 - May 11 by jayessess

Wycombe were a bit of a freak occurrence and don't have anything like our longer term ambitions.

You can't build anything sustained with loads of veterans in your team. You should really be aiming for 2 maximum imo.

Happy to agree to differ.

I didn't suggest we have loads of veterans in our team. I said there is no problem with 4-5 in a squad.

Judge the value of a player on their fitness, ability and personality in my view.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Rhodes on 12:03 - May 11 with 889 viewsjayessess

Rhodes on 11:54 - May 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Happy to agree to differ.

I didn't suggest we have loads of veterans in our team. I said there is no problem with 4-5 in a squad.

Judge the value of a player on their fitness, ability and personality in my view.

Not worth thinking about their actual or potential value In £££? Or what their fitness and ability is likely to be at the end of the contract, not just the beginning?

We took a look at Ward and decided he was in great shape, fit as a fiddle and his fitness went after 6 games.

Rhodes on 12:39 - May 11 with 840 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rhodes on 12:03 - May 11 by jayessess

Not worth thinking about their actual or potential value In £££? Or what their fitness and ability is likely to be at the end of the contract, not just the beginning?

We took a look at Ward and decided he was in great shape, fit as a fiddle and his fitness went after 6 games.

You have to have a mix across the squad.

One year contracts can reduce the risk, and if they are quality signings who can help achieve the aim of promotion then that takes precedence over potential future transfer value.

As I said, happy to agree to differ.

Rhodes on 13:16 - May 11 with 812 viewschrismakin

Rhodes on 11:47 - May 11 by jayessess

What is classed as a veteran in footballing terms

We need winners. We need a de Vos that's for certain at the back. And we need a fit but experienced midfield general.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Rhodes on 13:25 - May 11 with 800 viewshaynes_toe1

I said before, if we are going to play in a way that suits Rhodes we will score goals at this level but everything suggests Cook wants to play one up front in which case he doesn't have the movement or physicality for that role.

If we are going to play to his strengths then he'd be a good signing but not on a three-year contract!
Rhodes on 13:27 - May 11 with 786 viewschrismakin

Rhodes on 13:25 - May 11 by haynes_toe1

I said before, if we are going to play in a way that suits Rhodes we will score goals at this level but everything suggests Cook wants to play one up front in which case he doesn't have the movement or physicality for that role.

If we are going to play to his strengths then he'd be a good signing but not on a three-year contract!

As a player. How does Rhodes differ from Norwood?

Genuine question.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Rhodes on 13:36 - May 11 with 762 viewsjayessess

Rhodes on 13:16 - May 11 by chrismakin

What is classed as a veteran in footballing terms

We need winners. We need a de Vos that's for certain at the back. And we need a fit but experienced midfield general.

We had more players in the 30s with higher level experience than any of our rivals this season. Hull and Posh had very few.

Rhodes on 13:38 - May 11 with 761 viewschrismakin

Rhodes on 13:36 - May 11 by jayessess

We had more players in the 30s with higher level experience than any of our rivals this season. Hull and Posh had very few.

Think it depends on who it is. I wouldnt want many. But a couple would be nice.

Rhodes on 13:44 - May 11 with 743 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Not sure he would fit the system tbh. Good finisher who comes alive in and around the 6 yard box but offers little otherwise so I think he would struggle to lead the line effectively on his own

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Rhodes on 13:45 - May 11 with 742 viewsjayessess

Rhodes on 13:38 - May 11 by chrismakin

Think it depends on who it is. I wouldnt want many. But a couple would be nice.

If it's someone who's a cut above the kind of player we can recruit at a younger age, grand, bring them in.

But in terms of age profile our problem is that we don't have a core of good peak age pros (23-29) who lead the team. That's the age where you get the best combo of athleticism, experience, good decision-making.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024