Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Voter ID 08:48 - May 11 with 9134 viewsGuthrum

Not seen this discussed on here. The Government will be bringing in legislation requiring photo ID in order to vote in person. That's all well and good for those with a driving licence and/or a passport.

But there needs to be a cheap and easily accessible scheme for those who do not have either. Many of such people will be the poor or the elderly (who may have not renewed the ones they had). Those groups are also the least internet accessible. Otherwise you are effectively dienfranchising those people or, at the very least, putting a price upon the ability to vote.

Such a scheme of voting photo ID would have to be very affordable, even for those on benefits (subsidised, even), easy to access (both on- and offline) and secure (something these things have not always been).

All this in the name of eradicating something which is an infinitesimally small problem (one conviction for impersonatin at a polling station in the 2017 election: https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf_file/Fraud-allega ). Presumably because they think introducing a national ID card system would create too much of a row (again).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Voter ID on 16:17 - May 11 with 1122 viewsclive_baker

Great.

Voter IQ next.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Voter ID on 16:24 - May 11 with 1104 viewsBluefish

Voter ID on 14:22 - May 11 by Herbivore

You may have always taken photo ID to pick up from the Royal Mail depot but you don't need to. When I've done click and collect with Go Outdoors I've only had to show them the email on my phone, never had to show photo ID. The things you need photo ID for are pretty minimal.

Had my email on phone for go outdoor and they refused. I had to drive home again

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Voter ID on 16:52 - May 11 with 1079 viewseireblue

Voter ID on 09:47 - May 11 by chicoazul

Yet another of our ancient freedoms is hastened to the exit door without a whimper from the supine English public.

Maybe some people were lulled into it by thinking Boris was just a libertarian.
Voter ID on 17:14 - May 11 with 1056 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 16:24 - May 11 by Bluefish

Had my email on phone for go outdoor and they refused. I had to drive home again

They must have taken a dislike to you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Voter ID on 18:43 - May 11 with 1027 viewsHotShotHamish

Of course, none of you commenting could be bothered to look up the facts. Instead there is the usual anti-tory drivel that pervades this board, with some of you making out like its a huge conspiracy by those 'nasty tories'.

Anyone without the required I.D. will be issued what they need, free of charge.

https://vote-watch.com/2021/05/10/voters-to-be-given-free-photo-id-for-elections

Also, each year there is usually at least one council, or other election, that ends in a tie, with the Returning Officer deciding the method of choosing the winner - coin toss, straws, pistols at dawn etc
I believe there were 186 counts of electoral fraud in the last election so why do most of you consider this a non-issue?
Voter ID on 18:48 - May 11 with 1021 viewsMullet

Voter ID on 18:43 - May 11 by HotShotHamish

Of course, none of you commenting could be bothered to look up the facts. Instead there is the usual anti-tory drivel that pervades this board, with some of you making out like its a huge conspiracy by those 'nasty tories'.

https://vote-watch.com/2021/05/10/voters-to-be-given-free-photo-id-for-elections

Also, each year there is usually at least one council, or other election, that ends in a tie, with the Returning Officer deciding the method of choosing the winner - coin toss, straws, pistols at dawn etc
I believe there were 186 counts of electoral fraud in the last election so why do most of you consider this a non-issue?

Being lectured by Tories about dishonesty and fraud is rich to say the least. This sock puppet account of yours needs more work champ.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Voter ID on 18:50 - May 11 with 1014 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 18:58 - May 11 with 1006 viewsHARRY10

"I believe there were 186 counts of electoral fraud in the last election so why do most of you consider this a non-issue? "

"I believe...."

You rather lost the argument at that point

For those interested in the correct figures - which shows that this is of no great concern

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-r
Login to get fewer ads

Voter ID on 18:59 - May 11 with 1006 viewsEwan_Oozami

Facts? We don't need no stinking facts...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Voter ID on 19:51 - May 11 with 984 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 18:59 - May 11 by Ewan_Oozami

Facts? We don't need no stinking facts...

His post is, amusingly, littered with factual inaccuracies.

Voter ID on 20:02 - May 11 with 979 viewsHARRY10

Voter ID on 19:51 - May 11 by Herbivore

His post is, amusingly, littered with factual inaccuracies.

In the same way a corpse is littered with death
Voter ID on 20:11 - May 11 with 973 viewsClapham_Junction

Voter ID on 18:58 - May 11 by HARRY10

"I believe there were 186 counts of electoral fraud in the last election so why do most of you consider this a non-issue? "

"I believe...."

You rather lost the argument at that point

For those interested in the correct figures - which shows that this is of no great concern

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-r

Worth noting that they are also alleged cases of fraud. IMO a good number of them may be errors by poll clerks ticking off the wrong name and then someone turning up later and being told they have already voted.
Voter ID on 20:11 - May 11 with 972 viewsJ2BLUE

Voter ID on 09:54 - May 11 by SaleAway

Do you think the ~2 million people using foodbanks would rather spend £75 quid on a passport, or on food for their families?

Yea but if it wasn't for the Tories we wouldn't even have those food banks...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Voter ID on 20:16 - May 11 with 968 viewsMelford

Voter ID on 08:51 - May 11 by Herbivore

I don't see how in good conscience this can be introduced without also introducing some form of free national ID card that people can apply for. You are essentially disenfranchising large numbers of the electorate by forcing them to produce a form of ID they don't have, don't need, and can't afford in order to vote. And it's introducing a solution to a problem so miniscule that it doesn't really need solving.

I can't drive and haven't got a passport. So that's me out unless I fork out £70 odd.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Voter ID on 20:25 - May 11 with 954 viewsOldsmoker

Why are you all fixating on Voter ID.
There's something called "Project Speed".
It seems to be something to do with planning laws and building loads of houses on farmland damn quick which is disappointing as I was hoping it was crystal meth on prescription.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Voter ID on 22:48 - May 11 with 889 viewsThe_Last_Baron

A good move and long overdue. I've had several people boast to me over the years how they've voted twice or three times, across constituencies. All were proud of it.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Voter ID on 23:29 - May 11 with 887 viewsJ2BLUE

Voter ID on 22:48 - May 11 by The_Last_Baron

A good move and long overdue. I've had several people boast to me over the years how they've voted twice or three times, across constituencies. All were proud of it.

Ha, yea, this happened...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Voter ID on 23:32 - May 11 with 878 viewsSpruceMoose

Voter ID on 23:29 - May 11 by J2BLUE

Ha, yea, this happened...

Why does anyone give it any attention? It's just a troll, on here to get a few bites to distract itself from the fact that it's main hobby is collecting football shirts it can't fit into.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Voter ID on 07:47 - May 12 with 828 viewsHARRY10

Voter ID on 20:11 - May 11 by Clapham_Junction

Worth noting that they are also alleged cases of fraud. IMO a good number of them may be errors by poll clerks ticking off the wrong name and then someone turning up later and being told they have already voted.

The one that is most prevalent is not what the righties are now bleating about. It is where incorrect information has been put on the candidate registration form, as in

Using a false name.address on the nomination form

Yes it is illegal and wrong but come the vote it is up to voters to decide who they wish to vote for - and any candidate with the slightest chance of being elected would have easily been able to find the number needed.

More importantly what this has shown is how willing and desperate the forelock tuggers are to defend their betters, irrespective of how absurd and contradictory that position might be.

the real threat to our democracy is that we have a legislative body in which it does not have to adhere to the requirements it imposes elsewhere. Lie in court and you face a charge of perjury. Lie in the Commons and the Speaker will wring his hands, perhaps.

And it is not about stopping someone like Johnson from lying - but having a robust and open system of accountability. If there can be Parliamentary enquiries into Cameron's “potentially criminal in nature” behaviour and Johnsons repeated attempts to conceal 'gifts' then blatantly lying to Parliament must have some form of sanction - as I doubt if a guilty verdict in either of the above will result in no 'punishment'.

So why is it acceptable in the very place those laws are made ?
Voter ID on 08:36 - May 12 with 815 viewsClapham_Junction

If they've managed to get themselves on the voter roll in more than one constituency, voter ID wouldn't stop them voting. If you're talking about general elections, this is a voter roll compilation error. If it's local elections, it's legal to vote in two constituencies.
Voter ID on 08:44 - May 12 with 800 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

That's nothing. I frequently vote multiple times and, indeed, at these last elections registered four* votes. I know many people who did the same.

District Council - one vote
County Council - one vote
PCC - Two votes (first and second preference)

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Voter ID on 09:31 - May 12 with 763 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Voter ID on 08:36 - May 12 by Clapham_Junction

If they've managed to get themselves on the voter roll in more than one constituency, voter ID wouldn't stop them voting. If you're talking about general elections, this is a voter roll compilation error. If it's local elections, it's legal to vote in two constituencies.

They use other people's polling cards. No ID checks, no problems voting in another person's name.

In Northern Ireland you need ID to vote. No problems. This was introduced to prevent mass voter fraud by a certain political party.

Voter ID on 09:36 - May 12 with 756 viewsHerbivore

Voter ID on 09:31 - May 12 by The_Last_Baron

They use other people's polling cards. No ID checks, no problems voting in another person's name.

In Northern Ireland you need ID to vote. No problems. This was introduced to prevent mass voter fraud by a certain political party.

Chinny reckon.

Voter ID on 09:49 - May 12 with 735 viewsm14_blue

Voter ID on 09:31 - May 12 by The_Last_Baron

You don’t need polling cards either, you’d think someone who’s so committed to election fraud would know that.
Voter ID on 11:01 - May 12 with 705 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Voter ID on 09:49 - May 12 by m14_blue

You don’t need polling cards either, you’d think someone who’s so committed to election fraud would know that.

You don't, but if you pick up a polling card belonging to someone else you have all the details you need to vote.

I'm amazed to see so many people opposed to showing ID to vote. Makes me wonder what the real reason is for this opposition?

Looking forward to this measure being implemented. As I said, long overdue and the fact all the right people are having a meltdown over it shows it's a very good decision.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024