Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strikers - 30yo+ 09:52 - May 11 with 1379 viewsMeenoITFC

Why do people believe that if the striker is 30+ he is bad news!?

This is league one where Brett Pitman bagged more goals than any of our strikers. An experienced striker would do well at this level under the right management - who was the last experienced striker we had!?

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:53 - May 11 with 1362 viewsCotty

Alan Lee? I'd crawl over broken glass to have him back at age 30...
Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:54 - May 11 with 1355 viewsEwan_Oozami

Murphy...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:54 - May 11 with 1348 viewschicoazul

Joel Garner. Waghorn. Like Cotters says surely we’d all take 30yo Alan Lee in a heartbeat.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Joel Garner is 68..... on 09:55 - May 11 with 1337 viewsBloots

Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:54 - May 11 by chicoazul

Joel Garner. Waghorn. Like Cotters says surely we’d all take 30yo Alan Lee in a heartbeat.

...and a cricketer.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:56 - May 11 with 1338 viewsfooters

Where has anyone said this?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:56 - May 11 with 1326 viewsMeenoITFC

Waghorn was 27 when he came to us, Garner 29. Not sure about experienced, but good players for us at championship level!

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

Joel Garner is 68..... on 09:56 - May 11 with 1324 viewschicoazul

Joel Garner is 68..... on 09:55 - May 11 by Bloots

...and a cricketer.

Oh….errmmm…..

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:57 - May 11 with 1317 viewsclive_baker

It's very much dependant on the player too. There's some excellent players out there that are still hungry for success, experienced, and over 30. Fans often take a long term lens to signings, but should we bring someone in for 12-24 months and they bag us 20 goals next season that's an excellent contribution.

Someone like Nicky Forster was in his early 30's when he joined us, it's a shame he didn't stay longer as he proved after he left he still had plenty of good football in him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:58 - May 11 with 1305 viewsCotty

Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:57 - May 11 by clive_baker

It's very much dependant on the player too. There's some excellent players out there that are still hungry for success, experienced, and over 30. Fans often take a long term lens to signings, but should we bring someone in for 12-24 months and they bag us 20 goals next season that's an excellent contribution.

Someone like Nicky Forster was in his early 30's when he joined us, it's a shame he didn't stay longer as he proved after he left he still had plenty of good football in him.

I loved Nicky Forster.
Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:59 - May 11 with 1292 viewswkj

If you are looking at pacey strikers, they will have started to fade by the age of 30, but for those towering 'drogba' types - 30 is about their peak.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Strikers - 30yo+ on 10:01 - May 11 with 1262 viewsmonty_radio

Strikers - 30yo+ on 09:56 - May 11 by footers

Where has anyone said this?

What I find interesting though is that yesterday's underwhelming cull consisted of players who were either injury prone, or over 30 (or both). Anyone under 30, who most seem to have wanted gone, such as Toto and Edwards, has been considered for retention - whether for supposed residual value or as viable squad members.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Joel Garner is 68..... on 10:02 - May 11 with 1248 viewsSWGF

Joel Garner is 68..... on 09:55 - May 11 by Bloots

...and a cricketer.

Very tall though. Would rival Vadaine Oliver for aerial duals, I reckon.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Strikers - 30yo+ on 10:27 - May 11 with 1164 viewsjayessess

It's not always a bad idea, but, it's obvious why you should be careful about doing it I would've thought?

30+ means diminishing physical abilities and no re-sale value.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Strikers - 30yo+ on 10:27 - May 11 with 1166 viewsVaughan8

I've just seen the comments section on the Rhodes story (I know I shouldnt hah)

"If he doesn't score goals he doesn't offer much else" which maybe true.
However if he does score goals........

Maybe people don't remember but good strikers like John Aldridge (I use him as my dad supports Tranmere), you'd think, he did sod all.......except score 2 goals.

Some strikers are just like that. Surely he'd be decent at this level. Must be a better finisher than Norwood?
Strikers - 30yo+ on 10:38 - May 11 with 1117 viewsJohnny_Boy

Strikers - 30yo+ on 10:27 - May 11 by Vaughan8

Maybe people don't remember but good strikers like John Aldridge (I use him as my dad supports Tranmere), you'd think, he did sod all.......except score 2 goals.

Some strikers are just like that. Surely he'd be decent at this level. Must be a better finisher than Norwood?

The person calling him a Judas 😂

Embarrassing.
Strikers - 30yo+ on 10:55 - May 11 with 1052 viewsjayessess

Strikers - 30yo+ on 10:27 - May 11 by Vaughan8

Rhodes would be a classic example of the risks of taking a striker at that age, I would've thought?

He's 31 and his last big goalscoring season was 2015/16. He's never been that athletic nor been great at link-up play. We'd be signing up to having him at the top of our wage bill from age 31 to 34. He's currently an impact sub for a team bad enough to get relegated from the division above.

There's a huge risk we discover that whatever he had in 2016 is gone and are lumbered with yet another expensive veteran whose best days are long over.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 10:55]

Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:04 - May 11 with 1011 viewsJohnny_Boy

Strikers - 30yo+ on 10:55 - May 11 by jayessess

Rhodes would be a classic example of the risks of taking a striker at that age, I would've thought?

He's 31 and his last big goalscoring season was 2015/16. He's never been that athletic nor been great at link-up play. We'd be signing up to having him at the top of our wage bill from age 31 to 34. He's currently an impact sub for a team bad enough to get relegated from the division above.

There's a huge risk we discover that whatever he had in 2016 is gone and are lumbered with yet another expensive veteran whose best days are long over.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 10:55]

Just some stats from ‘elderly’ L1 strikers this season.

Charlie Wyke, Sunderland, 28
25 goals

Matty Taylor, Oxford, 31
18 goals

Vadaine Oliver, Gillingham, 29
17 goals

John Marquis, Portsmouth, 28
16 goals

Kane Hemmings, Burton, 30
15 goals

Cameron Jerome, MK Dons, 34
13 goals
[Post edited 11 May 2021 11:10]
Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:12 - May 11 with 978 viewsjayessess

Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:04 - May 11 by Johnny_Boy

Just some stats from ‘elderly’ L1 strikers this season.

Charlie Wyke, Sunderland, 28
25 goals

Matty Taylor, Oxford, 31
18 goals

Vadaine Oliver, Gillingham, 29
17 goals

John Marquis, Portsmouth, 28
16 goals

Kane Hemmings, Burton, 30
15 goals

Cameron Jerome, MK Dons, 34
13 goals
[Post edited 11 May 2021 11:10]

You left off Josh Magennis, Hull, 30
18 goals

The top six strikers in the division were 22 to 28, which is peak age for a footballer.
To find a player in the age range we'd have Rhodes for, you need to go all the way down to Jerome!

Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:25 - May 11 with 936 viewsJohnny_Boy

Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:12 - May 11 by jayessess

You left off Josh Magennis, Hull, 30
18 goals

The top six strikers in the division were 22 to 28, which is peak age for a footballer.
To find a player in the age range we'd have Rhodes for, you need to go all the way down to Jerome!

I actually thought Magennis was much younger & overlooked looking at his stats.

As much as it pains me to say it, Jerome - a player 4yrs older, still scored more league goals than Norwood this season.

I think the age-thing isn’t necessarily a problem in L1. I think Rhodes would be an improvement on what we already have (especially if Kayden is sold). Of course, I’d prefer younger for the future, but we need to concentrate on getting out of this division first.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 11:44]
Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:37 - May 11 with 900 viewsChurchman

I think it depends on the player. Paul Goddard came here so far over the hill you needed binoculars. However, he’d been such a quality player and had looked after himself that he proved very useful for us for two or three seasons.
Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:43 - May 11 with 872 viewsGarv

Garner isn't a great example because he wasn't that good.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:43 - May 11 with 871 viewsjayessess

Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:25 - May 11 by Johnny_Boy

I actually thought Magennis was much younger & overlooked looking at his stats.

As much as it pains me to say it, Jerome - a player 4yrs older, still scored more league goals than Norwood this season.

I think the age-thing isn’t necessarily a problem in L1. I think Rhodes would be an improvement on what we already have (especially if Kayden is sold). Of course, I’d prefer younger for the future, but we need to concentrate on getting out of this division first.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 11:44]

That does speak to how rubbish we are, but, I'd suggest, Jerome-level players is not where we're hoping to end up...

Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:48 - May 11 with 835 viewsJohnny_Boy

Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:43 - May 11 by jayessess

That does speak to how rubbish we are, but, I'd suggest, Jerome-level players is not where we're hoping to end up...

Had we just capitalised on any of those 0-0 draws, we’d have probably made the play offs.

Rhodes is a goal threat, especially when dropped down a division. We’ve been hopelessly goal-shy this season. I think that would address the situation.
Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:54 - May 11 with 814 viewsjayessess

Strikers - 30yo+ on 11:48 - May 11 by Johnny_Boy

Had we just capitalised on any of those 0-0 draws, we’d have probably made the play offs.

Rhodes is a goal threat, especially when dropped down a division. We’ve been hopelessly goal-shy this season. I think that would address the situation.

Our goal-shyness isn't about finishing though, we actually slightly outscored our xG. It's about our forward play in general.

I'm not convinced that "dropped down a division" automatically translates into being a cut above in League One. For evidence see pretty much everyone at Ipswich Town 2019-21.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024