Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert 13:57 - May 11 with 5071 viewsRadlett_blue

I thought he was a poor appointment at the time, having had little success in 6 years after leaving the Budgies. However, I think we can now see that the squad he inherited from Hurst was nowhere near good enough to stay up or cruise to promotion.
He got Hurst's 2018 signings - all no more than average League 1 performers.
A good Championship keeper who had lost his form.
A few solid Championship players who were in decline e.g. Chambers, Skuse, Sears.
A bunch of youngsters, who with the exception of Downes still haven't really proven themselves as even solid League 1 players.
A few indifferent loan players.
Most of his signings, on a negligible budget, weren't terrible.
So, while he wasn't great, the real problem was the mess he inherited. Cook got even less out of this squad & he has a huge job on his hands for next season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:02 - May 11 with 3251 viewschrismakin

I get what you're saying

But lambert had 4 transfer windows.....
1 to try an stay up or start building for promotion

Then 3 transfer windows wasted after that.

Dont forget we also had the delight of bringing in loanees this season who were no better than any of the players already in the squad
[Post edited 11 May 2021 14:06]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:05 - May 11 with 3209 viewsPJH

I think that Lambert has looked a better manager over the last sixteen games than he did for big chunks of the twenty eight or so months that he was actually here.
I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:07 - May 11 with 3182 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:02 - May 11 by chrismakin

I get what you're saying

Dont forget we also had the delight of bringing in loanees this season who were no better than any of the players already in the squad

He didn't have an awful lot to spend it seems.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:07 - May 11 with 3180 viewsWeWereZombies

I think there is a lot in what you have laid out there. I never bought into this 'Lambert is the biggest fool ever to manage and got lucky with a five year contract' narrative. I would add to your evidence to the contrary with a comment on how Paul Cook's and Mark Ashton's jobs are easier given the groundwork Lambert had to do in getting the Club to a saleable position under Evans.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:08 - May 11 with 3162 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:05 - May 11 by PJH

I think that Lambert has looked a better manager over the last sixteen games than he did for big chunks of the twenty eight or so months that he was actually here.

Altho PC got 18 points. Lambert also got 18 in his last 16 games.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 15:21]

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:08 - May 11 with 3163 viewsjayessess

By the time he left he'd either signed or extended the contract of every single player at the club, bar about 3.

The budget wasn't negligible, it was one of the biggest in the division.

He was the best paid manager in the division and never noticeably improved the players either individually or collectively.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:10 - May 11 with 3135 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:07 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

He didn't have an awful lot to spend it seems.

Its league 1. You dont need a warchest

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:12 - May 11 with 3121 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:07 - May 11 by WeWereZombies

I think there is a lot in what you have laid out there. I never bought into this 'Lambert is the biggest fool ever to manage and got lucky with a five year contract' narrative. I would add to your evidence to the contrary with a comment on how Paul Cook's and Mark Ashton's jobs are easier given the groundwork Lambert had to do in getting the Club to a saleable position under Evans.

Getting the club to a saleable position?

Failing for 3 years wasnt a success

Login to get fewer ads

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:12 - May 11 with 3127 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm sure you'll get laughed at by some on here but I agree to an extent. He was dealt a very bad hand. People tend to focus on the guy in the hot seat and seem to forget who came before. Jewel had a similar issue following Keane and even Cook's suffering now from some who've already decided he's not up to it, when he's only just taken on what Lambert left.

Some people have little patience, short memories and no clue how long it takes to fix something that has been broken for years. You'd have thought they would've learnt by now.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:15 - May 11 with 3094 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:10 - May 11 by chrismakin

Its league 1. You dont need a warchest

Why are Gamechanger promising one then?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:18 - May 11 with 3065 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:15 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Taken over the club. Trying to boost fan moral. Season ticket sales etc.

Theyll have different levels of financial pots for each level we are in.

A smaller squad will open up the wages available. But I cant see us offering anything out of the ordinary for this league tbh.

Also. O leary etc havent promised anything other than to ensure the squad is competitive.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 14:25]

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:19 - May 11 with 3058 viewsGavTWTD

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:15 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

To get us into the premiership.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:22 - May 11 with 3024 viewsSteve_M

I think that's broadly right and why, although I think he should have done better in 2018-19, I don;t hold him chiefly responsible for relegation. It was a dreadful mishmash of a squad.

However, after that he failed badly. First by getting a team into a good positions and overthinking a straightforward division, we never really recovered from that loss of confidence in Autumn 2019. And then by clearly not being motivated to really be here after getting his new contract.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:26 - May 11 with 2998 viewsTieDyedIn95

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:02 - May 11 by chrismakin

I get what you're saying

How much of that was his choice, and how much of that was Evans though?

Lambert may not have had the luxury of throwing them under the bus as Cook has, just see what O'Neil said about Lambert offloading Janoi Donacien and being told because we spent a lot on him, we couldn't sell because we wouldn't make it back, so thus he hung on. How many more were like this? In fact the transfer window we had when we could have stayed up was drastically underfunded, and if Evans thought that was enough he should have had no complaints about the League One losses because when your staring relegation in the face and the best you can afford is half fit Judge, Keane and ... Colin Quaner then you get what you deserve. We did, and have done, for years. Peanuts, monkeys and so on.

Lamberts approach was to somewhat baby these guys and you can kind of see why, whenever the going got tough they collapsed like a pack of cards. He signed a couple of great players on paper in KVY and Norwood and they have both been injured, if they had both been fit all season for both this and last we'd have probably made the playoffs each time. That's how fine a margin success and failure was for Lambert was here.

If he'd have shut his trap he'd have probably had a bit more sympathy from the support but I genuinely think he wanted the sack at the end.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 14:26]

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:30 - May 11 with 2962 viewsWeWereZombies

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:12 - May 11 by chrismakin

Getting the club to a saleable position?

Failing for 3 years wasnt a success

League success is not necessarily a measure of how attractive a club is to a buyer, in fact it can put some off if they think they will have to pay an unreasonable premium. What Lambert had to do for Evans was more about cost control, management of expectations and having every player expendable but still appearing valued. Clearly that, along with an appreciable potential, tickled Gamechanger's fancy. But not enough for them to offer what Evans wanted at first. Somewhere along the way it got to a position where all parties were satisfied (apart from Alan Judge) even if no one was genuinely over the moon with all the dealings (ignoring the PR talk). Lambert had his part to play in that and Evans would have got shot of him sooner if he had not played it out.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:32 - May 11 with 2937 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:26 - May 11 by TieDyedIn95

How much of that was his choice, and how much of that was Evans though?

Lambert may not have had the luxury of throwing them under the bus as Cook has, just see what O'Neil said about Lambert offloading Janoi Donacien and being told because we spent a lot on him, we couldn't sell because we wouldn't make it back, so thus he hung on. How many more were like this? In fact the transfer window we had when we could have stayed up was drastically underfunded, and if Evans thought that was enough he should have had no complaints about the League One losses because when your staring relegation in the face and the best you can afford is half fit Judge, Keane and ... Colin Quaner then you get what you deserve. We did, and have done, for years. Peanuts, monkeys and so on.

Lamberts approach was to somewhat baby these guys and you can kind of see why, whenever the going got tough they collapsed like a pack of cards. He signed a couple of great players on paper in KVY and Norwood and they have both been injured, if they had both been fit all season for both this and last we'd have probably made the playoffs each time. That's how fine a margin success and failure was for Lambert was here.

If he'd have shut his trap he'd have probably had a bit more sympathy from the support but I genuinely think he wanted the sack at the end.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 14:26]

We loaned out donacien to loan in Matheson. It made no sense.

We know the squad were never fit
Lambert barely spoke to players during the week
We know when he did speak he was miserable. Paranoid and upset everyone including his own signings
He also banned Phil

That alone is enough to not feel any pain for Lambert

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:42 - May 11 with 2848 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:30 - May 11 by WeWereZombies

League success is not necessarily a measure of how attractive a club is to a buyer, in fact it can put some off if they think they will have to pay an unreasonable premium. What Lambert had to do for Evans was more about cost control, management of expectations and having every player expendable but still appearing valued. Clearly that, along with an appreciable potential, tickled Gamechanger's fancy. But not enough for them to offer what Evans wanted at first. Somewhere along the way it got to a position where all parties were satisfied (apart from Alan Judge) even if no one was genuinely over the moon with all the dealings (ignoring the PR talk). Lambert had his part to play in that and Evans would have got shot of him sooner if he had not played it out.

Cost control? We had a squad of 50 under lambert. Thats not cost control lol.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:46 - May 11 with 2826 viewsChurchman

Interesting. Yes, PL inherited a total mess. We were relegated in August. Unlike MM, there weren’t decent players like DJ Campbell, 28 yrs old Chambers, Smith, Cresswell to be supplemented. He also came across as somebody that could heal the wounds, so to speak.

However, five transfer windows on, he proved clueless. For League One he was never able to put a team together. Loanees, over the hill players, journeymen not just retained, but added to. A mob of dispirited, disorganised unfit players, many of whom all the training in the world will never get them beyond League 2 level. Yes, accountability will always sit with Evans. He’s let the club rot. Thank goodness fastbuck Marcus is now out of decision making.

My opinion on Lambert though hasn’t changed. He proved utterly inept in every possible way and should have been fired Dec 19 when it was obvious he had no idea. Thank goodness he’s gone too.
I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:47 - May 11 with 2818 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:18 - May 11 by chrismakin

Taken over the club. Trying to boost fan moral. Season ticket sales etc.

Theyll have different levels of financial pots for each level we are in.

A smaller squad will open up the wages available. But I cant see us offering anything out of the ordinary for this league tbh.

Also. O leary etc havent promised anything other than to ensure the squad is competitive.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 14:25]

"Taken over the club. Trying to boost fan moral. Season ticket sales etc."
- are you suggesting the money talk is just talk then?

"Theyll have different levels of financial pots for each level we are in."
- Indeed. Not really relevant to my point though. You still need good players to get out of this league, and if you don't have them you have to buy them.

"I cant see us offering anything out of the ordinary"
- this is just your opinion. All the reports suggest we want to build a Champ squad in League 1, so I'm not sure what you're basing your 'not anything out of the ordinary' comment on.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:51 - May 11 with 2767 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:32 - May 11 by chrismakin

We loaned out donacien to loan in Matheson. It made no sense.

We know the squad were never fit
Lambert barely spoke to players during the week
We know when he did speak he was miserable. Paranoid and upset everyone including his own signings
He also banned Phil

That alone is enough to not feel any pain for Lambert

I like you Chris, and you're entitled to your view, but you don't half talk a lot of waffle!

Where is the evidence he "barely spoke to players during the week" and "when he did speak he was miserable, paranoid and upset everyone"?

This feels like a lot of conjecture to me. Is there a story in the EADT to this effect, for example? Surely it would've come out by now if it was the case.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:58 - May 11 with 2703 viewsPJH

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:08 - May 11 by chrismakin

Altho PC got 18 points. Lambert also got 18 in his last 16 games.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 15:21]

I know that you keep ruling out various games that Lambert was nominally in charge to suit your arguments but I am interested as to how you arrive at 17 points from his last 16.

It seems to me that if his last game 'in charge' was Northampton it is 18 points, if Oxford it is 19 and if Peterborough it is 20.
I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:58 - May 11 with 2705 viewsWeWereZombies

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:42 - May 11 by chrismakin

Cost control? We had a squad of 50 under lambert. Thats not cost control lol.

And yet Evans was accused of being penny pinching at every turn...A lot of the squad were under-21s (Bailey Clements, Tristan Nydam, Jack Lankester, Armando Dobra as well as Luke Thomas, Mark McGuinness, Keenan Bennetts, Troy Parrott and Luke Matheson who were also loans) or not much older (Harry Wright, Luke Woolfenden, Flynn Downes, Andre Dozzell). That leaves twenty one players who you could seriously call senior, which is not quite the bloated dressing room that is often portrayed.

[edit - source for above paragraph https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/kader/verein/677 ]

Add to that my suspicion that Evans, and he is not alone in the World of football in this, probably regarded the younger players as a stock that was as much for trading as it was for supplying the Club with future talent and I think a fairly clear picture of an attempt to balance cost and revenue becomes apparent.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 14:59]

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:00 - May 11 with 2678 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:51 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

I like you Chris, and you're entitled to your view, but you don't half talk a lot of waffle!

Where is the evidence he "barely spoke to players during the week" and "when he did speak he was miserable, paranoid and upset everyone"?

This feels like a lot of conjecture to me. Is there a story in the EADT to this effect, for example? Surely it would've come out by now if it was the case.

Sir Philip can certainly vouch for the paranoia. It's been known

In regards to his absence at the training ground and his mannerisms. It was discussed at length on here many times. ( not started by me) there was a direct mention at the time of how out of the club he was a joker etc but you never saw that side of him which was needed.

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:03 - May 11 with 2664 viewsclive_baker

Lambert spoke some sense. We had ridiculous amounts of injuries, if you look at some of the core members of our squad like Downes, KVY, Norwood, Nolan they've played <20 times this season. Woolfenden only 24. ME cut so many corners and while Lambert kept his cards close to his chest re. 'structure', there was a lot of merit in what he was saying. It's only since the new owners have come in they're actually addressing those issues.

That said I don't buy that he was unlucky, he mismanaged us and underperformed relative to the other clubs in L1. At Championship level fair enough, we didn't put up a massive fight but I never once blamed him for our relegation. Once down here, he was distant, unapproachable, generally a massive ar5e and unlikeable. Many of the players neither liked nor respected him, and he all but checked out at least a year before he was belatedly put out of his misery. He worked with one of the largest wage bills in the league, and while his permanent recruitment was OK, he bloated the squad with loan players that seemingly had little strategic thought behind. On balance he wasn't dealt the best hand, but he played his cards terribly.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 15:04]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 15:06 - May 11 with 2623 viewschrismakin

I am slightly revising my opinion of Lambert on 14:47 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

"Taken over the club. Trying to boost fan moral. Season ticket sales etc."
- are you suggesting the money talk is just talk then?

"Theyll have different levels of financial pots for each level we are in."
- Indeed. Not really relevant to my point though. You still need good players to get out of this league, and if you don't have them you have to buy them.

"I cant see us offering anything out of the ordinary"
- this is just your opinion. All the reports suggest we want to build a Champ squad in League 1, so I'm not sure what you're basing your 'not anything out of the ordinary' comment on.

The money talk hasnt come from the owners. They've confirmed how its been set up and confirmed the fans dont need to worry about the financial stability of the club. In theory they have said no different to anything Evans ever said.

And yes the rest is my opinion that's what this thread is peoples opinions.

At present we havent signed anyone.

Reports to you show we are building a side for championship. On the other hand weve been linked with a league 2 striker to..

Simple fact is we dont know yet. What we do hope though is what ever is done is sensible and works.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024