Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambers ... 23:26 - May 11 with 3063 viewstimmy2guns

The recognition of long tenure - accepted
The state we are in under his captaincy - undeniable
The comparisons to the clubs greats - deluded

Take those blue tinted specs off - just because someone is here along time does not automatically qualify them as a great.

How many of you have colleagues who have served a long time and took the company to a worse place than it was when they were in partly responsible, to then be seen off with an award. Long servant.... = time to get paid... because lets face it - rate that against performance of this team (of which he is one man not the whole, but still a part of) leaves much to be desired.

We all love our club, but lets not be deluded about it. Some players are better than others, the more of the better ones we have the better we will progress. Chambers was not part of a team that progressed, but worse than stood still, regressed...

Chambers ... on 23:28 - May 11 with 2540 viewsJ2BLUE

Who exactly are you arguing against? Most people are saying similar. Great servant and great man but not a legend.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Chambers ... on 23:29 - May 11 with 2532 viewstimmy2guns

Chambers ... on 23:28 - May 11 by J2BLUE

Who exactly are you arguing against? Most people are saying similar. Great servant and great man but not a legend.

Great servant ... hardly... a great servant is one who delivers
Chambers ... on 23:30 - May 11 with 2518 viewsSpruceMoose

He screamed impotently into the void.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Chambers ... on 23:32 - May 11 with 2517 viewsIllinoisblue

Nobody - literally nobody - is comparing him to club greats. WTF are you on about?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Chambers ... on 23:34 - May 11 with 2509 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

I mean, this is a car crash of a post - however, the one crumb in your favour is that you didn't sully the appreciation thread with this drivel.
Chambers ... on 23:35 - May 11 with 2497 viewsreusersfreekicks

Chambers ... on 23:29 - May 11 by timmy2guns

Great servant ... hardly... a great servant is one who delivers

Good OP - no
Pointless OP - yes
Lacking in grace and understanding to an incredible extent.
Maybe find something else to be angry about
Chambers ... on 23:40 - May 11 with 2458 viewsCoastalblue

I think you're seeing something that's not there for most (all) people? We can appreciate somebody giving their all and still accept they're not a great?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Chambers ... on 00:10 - May 12 with 2401 viewsChurchman

I don’t think people are deluded. Everyone who has seen Chambers, or for that matter Skuse or Sears, knows what they have contributed and how they rate against past players who’ve worn an ITFC shirt.

Whether you liked or loathed them they played over 860 games for the club. I see nothing wrong in saying thank you to them for that.
Login to get fewer ads

Chambers ... on 07:18 - May 12 with 2122 viewsSitfcB

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/verdict-on-chambers-and-skuse-itfc-exi

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Chambers ... on 07:24 - May 12 with 2094 viewsKropotkin123

Chambers ... on 23:32 - May 11 by Illinoisblue

Nobody - literally nobody - is comparing him to club greats. WTF are you on about?

Wait, what... Next you'll be telling me we're not cancelling the Beattie statue and putting one up of Chambers instead.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Chambers ... on 07:55 - May 12 with 2025 viewsPendejo

Did he starve MM of funds when on the verge of completing the miracle?

Was he responsible for recruitment of managers and / or players?

No, so how much of the last few years could be realistically influence?

Flip side, has he shown leadership by taking responsibility for young players coming to the club from other areas? Yes

He is worthy of our respect as a decent human being.

I for one will miss the not leaving an away game (rarely do home games) until the Chambers fist pump.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Chambers ... on 07:59 - May 12 with 2012 viewsPendejo

Chambers ... on 07:18 - May 12 by SitfcB

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/verdict-on-chambers-and-skuse-itfc-exi

Anyone care to comment?

Luke Chambers arrived at Town in 2012, a year after Skuse - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

I should also state that I’ve got no reason to go all out on the defensive for these guys.

You can probably count on one hand the number of people who have seen them both play live for Ipswich more times than me. I started covering Ipswich Town in 2011, with Luke arriving in 2012 and Cole rocking up a year later. We were all born within 15 months of each other.

Typical Archant poor proof reading.

What came first?
The Chambers or the Skuse?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Chambers ... on 07:59 - May 12 with 2009 viewsDanTheMan

Chambers ... on 00:10 - May 12 by Churchman

I don’t think people are deluded. Everyone who has seen Chambers, or for that matter Skuse or Sears, knows what they have contributed and how they rate against past players who’ve worn an ITFC shirt.

Whether you liked or loathed them they played over 860 games for the club. I see nothing wrong in saying thank you to them for that.

Also worth pointing out here that not everyone was even alive for the last time Ipswich were properly successful.

I'm just over 30 and I can just about remember some of the promotion season and the following run in the PL but other than that, we've had so real players to look up to in the squad.

For the past decade, I'd say Skuse and Chambers have been the standout pros we've had. Are they as good and Wark, Mills etc.? No, but they were never going to be. They wouldn't have played for us in the first place if they were that good.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Chambers ... on 07:59 - May 12 with 2008 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

It’s called respect. Learn some.
Chambers ... on 08:01 - May 12 with 1996 viewsbraveblue

Too much truth here for most.

He was loyal and always tried hard.

But some of the posts do compare him with club greats, call him a legend and a great player.

Thank him by all means. That is sufficient.
Chambers ... on 08:11 - May 12 with 1949 viewsDanTheMan

Chambers ... on 08:01 - May 12 by braveblue

But some of the posts do compare him with club greats, call him a legend and a great player.

Actually think I'll just praise both Chambers and Skuse how I see fit, thanks.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Chambers ... on 08:15 - May 12 with 1939 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

There does appear to be a rather odd fanfare surrounding his leaving the club.

He came in, tried hard, trousered his £10k a week but ultimately was not very good, achieved nothing other than a relegation in his career and did a fist pump thing that lots of people liked to shout at.

Meh.
Chambers ... on 08:40 - May 12 with 1848 viewsSwailsey

Chambers ... on 07:59 - May 12 by WickhamsLeftBoot

It’s called respect. Learn some.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Chambers ... on 08:47 - May 12 with 1832 viewsBlueySwede

Chambers ... on 08:15 - May 12 by BlueBlueBluex2

There does appear to be a rather odd fanfare surrounding his leaving the club.

He came in, tried hard, trousered his £10k a week but ultimately was not very good, achieved nothing other than a relegation in his career and did a fist pump thing that lots of people liked to shout at.

Meh.

I have just realised that a small portion (but very vocal) part of our fan base need to find scape goats for everything, and for some of them they have come in the form of Chambers (and to some extent Skuse). I am not comparing Chambers to Terry Butcher. Why should I? Different time, different state(s) of our beloved club.
One thing that has spoken for itself is that Chambers have been first on the teamsheet for several different managers during his time at the club. Yes, he makes the odd mistake and his legs have gone these last two seasons, but in general he has been very reliable, always giving his very best. I just hope we have many more players in the future with his commitment.
Chambers ... on 08:55 - May 12 with 1793 viewsSwailsey

Chambers ... on 08:47 - May 12 by BlueySwede

I have just realised that a small portion (but very vocal) part of our fan base need to find scape goats for everything, and for some of them they have come in the form of Chambers (and to some extent Skuse). I am not comparing Chambers to Terry Butcher. Why should I? Different time, different state(s) of our beloved club.
One thing that has spoken for itself is that Chambers have been first on the teamsheet for several different managers during his time at the club. Yes, he makes the odd mistake and his legs have gone these last two seasons, but in general he has been very reliable, always giving his very best. I just hope we have many more players in the future with his commitment.

Exactly. And also...it's important that people remember this (much like when they would lambast Scowie, Richards, J. Wright, Douglas...)

The players don't pick themselves.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 8:55]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Chambers ... on 09:05 - May 12 with 1762 viewsEdwardF

I will say and think whatever I f in want to. You, and your views, have absolutely no leverage with me

Poll: Hypothetically who would you prefer as your main striker:

Chambers ... on 09:15 - May 12 with 1729 viewsGuthrum

It's a question of what makes a "great" player and what moves one beyond to a "legend".

He, personally, did achieve great things with the club. Nearly 400 games (all bar one of them starts), consistently, under several managers, is no mean feat in the modern era. Puts him in the top ten ITFC appearance list. Unfortunately the club itself was not in a good place during that time, so success was very limited.

To be a "legend", a player possibly has to drive the team to exceptional heights - which is always more difficult as a defender, with fewer chances to score those wonder goals which win matches (Chambers does have one or two of those himself, too). In terms of Butcher-style bloody sacrifice, he has played on through injury and damage on several occasions.

Rather goes to show that perceptions are shaped more by being part of a great and successful team than personal endeavour.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Chambers ... on 09:18 - May 12 with 1712 viewschrismakin

You need to think before you post.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Chambers ... on 09:39 - May 12 with 1672 viewsBlueBadger

It's a fitting tribute to the great man that you rate him so highly that you think it was HIM who was setting budgets, training, selecting and coaching players, looking after their motivation, setting transfer policy, appointing managers as well as overseeing injury treatment and rehab and overall club club strategy all this time
[Post edited 12 May 2021 9:42]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Chambers ... on 09:43 - May 12 with 1653 viewsBlueBadger

You've never gotten over that time you imagined that he was swearing at you, have you?
[Post edited 12 May 2021 10:21]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024