Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jeffers in as 1st team coach 12:24 - May 12 with 6245 viewsitfcjoe

Hopefully an Assistant sorted soon as that feels the key appointment

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:25 - May 12 with 1823 viewsDanTheMan

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:23 - May 12 by J2BLUE

I'm not suggesting we do give a clean slate to anyone. I wouldn't want Ched Evans here, for example, even if he hasn't got any conviction.

Drink driving is utterly moronic. There should be no legal limit at all apart from zero.

As for the other stuff, I get it, but what are we going to do? He's here to coach football. I assume if anything happens while he is here then the club will deal with it.

Well yeah I guess that's it. I've voiced my displeasure on here but that's as much as I can really do anyway.

Obviously if the offences were more serious I'd consider boycotting but realistically it wouldn't change anything.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:26 - May 12 with 1810 viewschrismakin

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:23 - May 12 by J2BLUE

I'm not suggesting we do give a clean slate to anyone. I wouldn't want Ched Evans here, for example, even if he hasn't got any conviction.

Drink driving is utterly moronic. There should be no legal limit at all apart from zero.

As for the other stuff, I get it, but what are we going to do? He's here to coach football. I assume if anything happens while he is here then the club will deal with it.

The Lady who tagged the club into and owners into her response does have a point though

You can't show support for Domestic Abuse charities and then go and willingly employ someone with that in there recent history, town have imo scored an almighty own goal with this.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:28 - May 12 with 1792 viewsHerbivore

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:10 - May 12 by J2BLUE

We could appoint Ned Flanders to first team coach and some would take issue with his character.

Edit: I won't edit the above but acknowledge it was inappropriate in this instance and that in hindsight I was being a bit of a dick.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 15:28]

That's a bit dismissive. We're talking about a conviction for domestic abuse less than 2 years ago and a drink driving conviction from last year. We're not talking an unpaid parking ticket. I'm sure there will be a number of ITFC fans who have experienced domestic abuse and this appointment will understandably not sit very comfortably with them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:29 - May 12 with 1780 viewsEwan_Oozami

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:26 - May 12 by chrismakin

The Lady who tagged the club into and owners into her response does have a point though

You can't show support for Domestic Abuse charities and then go and willingly employ someone with that in there recent history, town have imo scored an almighty own goal with this.

How do we know whether Jeffers hasn't had therapy and is now ashamed of what he did and gives great support to DA charities?

Agree on balance it doesn't look good so would I expect at some point he'll need to make a public statement about it

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:30 - May 12 with 1772 viewsJ2BLUE

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:26 - May 12 by chrismakin

What if he's been to counselling or something and apologised?

People are kicking off knowing a fraction of the story and most of that has probably come from newspapers.

Does he deserve another chance? Maybe the only correct answer is that we don't know enough to really comment?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:40 - May 12 with 1722 viewsSwailsey

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:30 - May 12 by J2BLUE

People are kicking off knowing a fraction of the story and most of that has probably come from newspapers.

Does he deserve another chance? Maybe the only correct answer is that we don't know enough to really comment?

A lot of ifs and buts here (not just you, on the thread), which I guess is natural, but FWIW, it doesn't sit right with me either.

Regardless of whether he has sought help and wants to improve (I hope he has), there are simply different rules when it comes to second chances for people in the public eye.

What I will say, is that if someone is triggered or impacted by it, they will be reminded of it a lot more if someone is in the public eye, rather than just someone working away quietly in a corner looking to rebuild their life.

It's a no from me I think. Purely for reputational/sensitivity/seemingly character issues.

Footballing wise - it looks a sound appointment.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 14:52]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:41 - May 12 with 1714 viewschrismakin

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:30 - May 12 by J2BLUE

I appreciate where you're coming from, but imo it sets a dangerous precident on what's swept under the carpet for the sake of bringing in a coach.

Football and sport in general is about being role models for kids of all ages and genders

We have a convicted and about to go to trial serial drink driver as striker/recently captain
we now have a drink driver/domestic abuser as a first team coach

[Post edited 12 May 2021 14:44]

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:43 - May 12 with 1708 viewstractorboy1978

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:40 - May 12 by Swailsey

A lot of ifs and buts here (not just you, on the thread), which I guess is natural, but FWIW, it doesn't sit right with me either.

Regardless of whether he has sought help and wants to improve (I hope he has), there are simply different rules when it comes to second chances for people in the public eye.

What I will say, is that if someone is triggered or impacted by it, they will be reminded of it a lot more if someone is in the public eye, rather than just someone working away quietly in a corner looking to rebuild their life.

It's a no from me I think. Purely for reputational/sensitivity/seemingly character issues.

Footballing wise - it looks a sound appointment.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 14:52]

I'd hardly say Jeffers is in the public eye. He's a coach at a L1 football club. I had no idea he was even at Everton until he got linked here and I follow football generally pretty closely.
Login to get fewer ads

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:45 - May 12 with 1699 viewsSwailsey

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:43 - May 12 by tractorboy1978

I'd hardly say Jeffers is in the public eye. He's a coach at a L1 football club. I had no idea he was even at Everton until he got linked here and I follow football generally pretty closely.

Ok. But you surely understand what I am getting at.

He is someone who will (if you are a Town fan), be put on your radar (TWTD, EADT, Twitter, FB, Club Site), whether you want him to be or not.

That doesn't happen with Mr/Mrs X, working 2 days a week at restaurant Y.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:45 - May 12 with 1693 viewschrismakin

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:43 - May 12 by tractorboy1978

A L1 club with thousands of public eyes watching everymove it's making at the moment...

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:50 - May 12 with 1684 viewsitfcjoe

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:17 - May 12 by DanTheMan

I do think it's slightly unfair to assume we should give a clean slate to every single person who walks in through the door.

I'm personally uneasy with the appointment. It wasn't like these were ten years ago or something, both incidents are fairly recent and more than little woopsies.

I wouldn't go as far as doing what turnstile blues are but still, I can see why some people don't like it.

WIth regards to 'going as far as Turnstile Blues are' I think that makes it sound like they are the problem here - I noted on an earlier tweet that @TCEmma who is one of the tweets on this thread is a 'chair of a local domestic abuse charity that provides services in Suffolk' so understandable reaction surely?

We hear all this stuff about #MeToo and the Sarah Everard case etc, but if domestic abuse is just swept under the rug and the perpetrator allowed to move on then the victims have to suffer further

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:05 - May 12 with 1609 viewsDanTheMan

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:50 - May 12 by itfcjoe

WIth regards to 'going as far as Turnstile Blues are' I think that makes it sound like they are the problem here - I noted on an earlier tweet that @TCEmma who is one of the tweets on this thread is a 'chair of a local domestic abuse charity that provides services in Suffolk' so understandable reaction surely?

We hear all this stuff about #MeToo and the Sarah Everard case etc, but if domestic abuse is just swept under the rug and the perpetrator allowed to move on then the victims have to suffer further

Yeah that wasn't worded well, you're correct. I scanned the thread and saw the TC blues stuff before the original.

I was just saying whilst I wouldn't personally go that far, I'm not surprised others are.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:09 - May 12 with 1585 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 12:28 - May 12 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. Clean slate and all that.

We've just convinced a Premier League U23 *coach* with 5 years experience to join a L1 club, so that's not a bad move for us. And a chance for him to prove himself as a first team coach.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 13:02]

He’ll have enough slates for a new roof soon!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:15 - May 12 with 1558 viewsitfcjoe

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:05 - May 12 by DanTheMan

Yeah that wasn't worded well, you're correct. I scanned the thread and saw the TC blues stuff before the original.

I was just saying whilst I wouldn't personally go that far, I'm not surprised others are.

Yep, mine was more a general contribution to thread rather than aimed at you in that regard

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:29 - May 12 with 1507 viewsJ2BLUE

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:41 - May 12 by chrismakin

I appreciate where you're coming from, but imo it sets a dangerous precident on what's swept under the carpet for the sake of bringing in a coach.

Football and sport in general is about being role models for kids of all ages and genders

We have a convicted and about to go to trial serial drink driver as striker/recently captain
we now have a drink driver/domestic abuser as a first team coach

You do make some good points. As does Joe, pointing out the tweeter was connected to a domestic abuse charity.

I've left my original reply intact but added an edit.

Truly impaired.

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:41 - May 12 with 1454 viewsSwailsey

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:29 - May 12 by J2BLUE

You do make some good points. As does Joe, pointing out the tweeter was connected to a domestic abuse charity.

I've left my original reply intact but added an edit.

Were my point shte then m8?

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:42 - May 12 with 1453 viewsVic

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 14:29 - May 12 by Ewan_Oozami

How do we know whether Jeffers hasn't had therapy and is now ashamed of what he did and gives great support to DA charities?

Agree on balance it doesn't look good so would I expect at some point he'll need to make a public statement about it

It would show really good form, and fit in with Cooks statements about needing to do things properly, if he were to make a statement saying how he is really sorry and has/is getting help with the issues, and how he thinking drink driving is moronic, etc.

Ps, my best mate was killed by a drunk driver so this is a bit personal for me

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:43 - May 12 with 1443 viewsJ2BLUE

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:41 - May 12 by Swailsey

Were my point shte then m8?

Thought it went without saying...

Only joking. Sorry, I missed it. Good points. 5/5. Would read again.

Truly impaired.

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:44 - May 12 with 1435 viewsSwailsey

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:43 - May 12 by J2BLUE

Thought it went without saying...

Only joking. Sorry, I missed it. Good points. 5/5. Would read again.

Text me.

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:59 - May 12 with 1387 viewsPhilTWTD

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 12:33 - May 12 by Kieran_Knows

... and yet again, another one Cook knows from his time at Wigan.

Town and Cook had gone by then I think.
Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 16:05 - May 12 with 1354 viewsEwan_Oozami

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 15:42 - May 12 by Vic

It would show really good form, and fit in with Cooks statements about needing to do things properly, if he were to make a statement saying how he is really sorry and has/is getting help with the issues, and how he thinking drink driving is moronic, etc.

Ps, my best mate was killed by a drunk driver so this is a bit personal for me

I completely understand that many people with personal experience of DA and DD will be unhappy about this and I'm not overly impressed myself (I know friends knocked off bikes by DDs causing life changing injuries and also friends who've suffered years of DA before getting the support required to make a break) - so for Jeffers to come out early doors and show contriteness over his actions would go a long way towards putting out any potential fires before they take hold (with suitable apologies to footers of course) - otherwise we end up in a position where no-one is redeemable at all whatsoever....

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 16:25 - May 12 with 1298 viewsRadioOrwell

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 12:33 - May 12 by clive_baker

If he can make Norwood a bit more clinical, and we can get him fit, we've got a good striker on our hands at this level. He definitely gets into the right areas.

I'm really hoping that Norwood is a backup striker. 76th minute sort of guy.
Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 16:32 - May 12 with 1283 viewsRadioOrwell

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 16:05 - May 12 by Ewan_Oozami

I completely understand that many people with personal experience of DA and DD will be unhappy about this and I'm not overly impressed myself (I know friends knocked off bikes by DDs causing life changing injuries and also friends who've suffered years of DA before getting the support required to make a break) - so for Jeffers to come out early doors and show contriteness over his actions would go a long way towards putting out any potential fires before they take hold (with suitable apologies to footers of course) - otherwise we end up in a position where no-one is redeemable at all whatsoever....

Given that the new owners are stressing the desire for this to become a family club / community hub - they will need to manage the Jeffers appointment vary carefully.
Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 16:59 - May 12 with 1223 viewsPinewoodblue

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 12:26 - May 12 by hype313

Would like to think Kieron might be in with a shout.

Kieron missed his big chance when Evans didn't have to guts to appoint him and Terry Butcher through to the end of the season . Anyone disagree that if Evans had made the appointment this season wouldn't be over yet.

Kieron's time will come.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 17:05 - May 12 with 1204 viewsEwan_Oozami

Jeffers in as 1st team coach on 16:32 - May 12 by RadioOrwell

Given that the new owners are stressing the desire for this to become a family club / community hub - they will need to manage the Jeffers appointment vary carefully.

Agreed!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024