Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
38/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning 20:24 - May 12 with 4294 viewsdavblue

But try tonight if I was you. I’ve got a slot booked.

Sorry it’s in the football thread wanted people to try tonight if possible.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 20:56]
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:56 - May 12 with 720 viewsTheonlywayisup

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:44 - May 12 by davblue

That's fine it's your decision. Im just making people aware who do wish to have it.

It's not a point scoring post, just trying to give people some information.

How am i assuming everyone wants to take it?

Sorry, the way you said to try tonight if I was you. I mis understood. Apologies.
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:56 - May 12 with 715 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:44 - May 12 by gtsb1966

I had to deliver in your town today. Are there more traffic lights than people. The place is a nightmare.

Which part of Romford was it? Around queens hospital is little short of a nightmare for traffic lights

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:57 - May 12 with 709 viewsBlueBadger

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:55 - May 12 by Butterbing

Or because Uncle Barry on Facebook said he heard that it contained 5g and that Bill Gates and George Soros could control your bowel movements. Or something like that? Who would you trust? Scientists you’d never met or Uncle Barry? (He’s a mechanic so he knows stuff).

I've been fully jabbed up since March and I can assure the Worried Thick that the download speed on Call of Duty is WELL WORTH WORTH IT.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:58 - May 12 with 704 viewsStrimmer

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:54 - May 12 by Theonlywayisup

Good memory but you have just made yourself look very silly. I got back from Australia a couple of days ago. Where they are living a completely normal life...no masks.... nothing. And this is not because of the vaccine. This is because they controlled who came in and the spread and they have 0 (zero) cases.

They locked down hard, good for them. Can’t last forever when the virus is in every country on earth can they.

That’s why they’re rolling out the vaccine so they can get back to normal

https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/australias-

Poll: Was it a punch?

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:59 - May 12 with 700 viewsButterbing

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:54 - May 12 by Theonlywayisup

Good memory but you have just made yourself look very silly. I got back from Australia a couple of days ago. Where they are living a completely normal life...no masks.... nothing. And this is not because of the vaccine. This is because they controlled who came in and the spread and they have 0 (zero) cases.

Irrelevant to this country though. Why are you against being vaccinated?
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:59 - May 12 with 699 viewsdavblue

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:56 - May 12 by Theonlywayisup

Sorry, the way you said to try tonight if I was you. I mis understood. Apologies.

Always optional, i have no authority to tell people to have it but to book their slots if they wanted the jab.
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:00 - May 12 with 695 viewsgtsb1966

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:56 - May 12 by The_Romford_Blue

Which part of Romford was it? Around queens hospital is little short of a nightmare for traffic lights

It was in Dagenham actually but I was coming via Brentwood so went Brentwood, Romford, Dagenham. Never again.
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:01 - May 12 with 701 viewsBlueBadger

It's not my memory, it's literally the last thing you posted.

ifollow abroad..... by Theonlywayisup 13 Apr 2021 18:05
Currently isolating in Australia 20 floors up. Starved of watching football and just dawned on me can I access ifollow abroad? Would be a pleasant surprise if I can.....

Oh, and the Australian 'normal life' is basically at the cost of making life extremely difficult for anyone wanting to travel there. They're crying out for key workers and tourism of all sorts.
It can't, and won't continue forever. Have a jab you massive fanny, it's very, very safe.

Just like all the other jabs you had when you were a kid.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:02 - May 12 with 686 viewsBlueBadger

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:59 - May 12 by Butterbing

Irrelevant to this country though. Why are you against being vaccinated?

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning by BlueBadger 12 May 2021 20:51
I'm guessing it goes along the lines of 'waffle, piffle, faffle, freedom, jibber, jabber, obfuscate, 'chemicals', chunter, hunter, chunter 'do your research, you fool".

38/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:04 - May 12 with 686 viewsBlueBadger

I'm just going to leave this here for the two out-and proud pillocks who think they don't need a jab and other 'silent majority' dickheads.

Tell this person's family we don't need a vaccine.

Despatches From The Front Line Part Seven: Back in Blue by BlueBadger 18 May 2020 16:56
As always, all names and locations have been changed.
Trigger warning: This post contains content you may find upsetting.

So far, My Adventures With Covid-19 have been all about my work as an Outreach nurse, supporting the wards with the sickest of the sick 'in the wild'. That's done with for the time being as 3 weeks ago I was semi-voluntarily redeployed back to the ITU I worked upon for 12 years to shore up numbers and add much-needed experience to the team(the title of this post reflects my uniform colour change - my usual outfit is a rather natty custom made set of scrubs in turquoise - I'm now in varying shades of blue, depending on what's available in the changing room).

It's been a not particularly gentle reintroduction, it's fair to say.
12 hours in full PPE of gown(fabric if you're lucky, super hot plastic-lined paper if you're not), gloves, visor(a choice of light-but-misty-to-look-through medical visors or heavy-but-clear-vision 'helmets' donated by a local builders' merchant) and FFP3 mask(with a filter if you're lucky - you'll live without one, but you'll be a lot more comfortable with one. Oh, and those pictures in the news showing healthcare workers with facial pressures sores after being in them all day - totally A Thing) is no fun for starters, particularly if, like me, you're starting to develop a distinctly 'middle aged' bladder.
Then there's the patients - I'll probably go over this in more detail in the future when I feel closer to the top of the Covid ITU learning curve, but let's just say they stay longer, get sicker and are more unstable than any other ITU patient group in my experience apart from maybe severely septic surgical patients.

Days 1-5 are busy but nothing I can't cope with without a bit of a 'I've had a year out of this, give me some time here please' run-up at them.

Then comes day 6.
There comes a time in the beginning of every ITU nurse's careers when they have *that* day - the one that overwhelms you utterly - either by the sheer amount of work involved in keeping someone alive, a sudden rapid deterioration of condition or Something Else Horrible.
I might have 12 years ITU service under my belt and I'm not a greenhorn by any means but I'm still finding my feet at this point and so I figure I'm allowed a second *that* day.

The patient is in their early 60's and has a previous history of type 2 diabetes and only one working kidney following a renal carcinoma a few years ago but this was successfully treated(by removing the offending organ) and they have enjoyed good health since.
They've been in ITU 18 days and spent 17 of those intubated.
Handover comes from Kim, a lass in her early 30's with a wealth of ITU experience who's married to a serviceman and has thus, never spent longer than 2 years working anywhere.
Despite the head-to-toe PPE I can see she's worried and extremely tired from two nights spent struggling with this patient.
An A-E assessment and handover tells me the following:

A - Airway is safe, due to the presence of an ET tube which is safely secured with fabric ties and an inflatable cuff somewhere just above the patient's larynx.

B - Breathing is severely compromised - the patient is on 70% oxygen via the ventilator, which, due to severe ARDS reducing lung compliance, is needing high airway pressures to inflate the lungs adequately. In an attempt to make the lungs more compliant, the patient has been started on a muscle relaxant drug(sometimes called a 'paralysing agent by anaesthetists) to reduce the amount of 'fight' the lungs have against the ventilator.

C - Cardiovascularly, they're requiring a high dose of noradrenaline to support blood pressure, are running a slightly fast heart rate and the one kidney is in a severe stage 3 AKI and needing dialysis. An estimated 20%+ of ITU patients with covid will suffer an AKI severe enough to need dialysis. On top of this, Kim tells me that any slight movement or change of the patient's position results in either them dropping their oxygen saturation levels, their blood pressure, or both. Urine out is, unsurprisingly given the AKI, low BP and fluid removal on dialysis, minimal.

D - Disability. The 'neuro' bit. When I teach people A-E assessment, I tend to informally refer to 'D' as 'drowsy', so it concentrates the thinking a bit better. the patient is heavily sedated on two strong sedatives - propofol, an anaesthetic agent and fentanyl, a strong opioid. This is needed for two reasons 1 - ET tube tolerance and 2 - being under the influence of muscle relaxants is deeply distressing if you're in any way awake - those stories of patients 'awake' on the operating table but being unable to move you heard a lot about in the 90's? That's what muscle relaxants are like if you're not properly sedated - drugs with huge potential to cause a massive amount of mental trauma. In addition we're running an insulin infusion to control blood sugar - it's running high, unsurprisingly, given the severity of the patient's illness.

E - Exposure or, as I teach it, 'everything else'. There's pressure sores around their mouth from ET tube ties, a nasogastric(NG) tube in place for feeding and bowels haven't been open for around 6 days now. Ominously, Kim reports that the patient appears not to be digesting their feed - she's aspirated 500mls from their stomach at 6 when doing a routine 'are they absorbing' test.

So, three organs confirmed as being 'in failure' and it seems like the gut is coming out in sympathy. and that's before we get into the persistently high blood sugar and skin damage.
I do some checks of my bed space and start tweaking and fine-tuning around my kit and drugs to see if I can improve ANYTHING. Adjusting the ventilator settings results in improved oxygenation but at the cost of much higher airway pressures(and the potential for lung damage) and dropping blood pressure(thanks to the effects of a raised intra-thoracic pressure courtesy of the ventilator pressures on BP), so I abandon that.
Fiddling with sedation(propofol in particular is notorious for lowering blood pressure) results in slightly better blood pressure at the cost of an increasing heart rate - the patient is likely waking on some level and becoming distressed, so I abandon that as well.
Long story short, any and all of the tricks I try(and I have a LOT of tricks) results in one thing mildly improving at the expense of something else getting worse.

After an hour and a half of this, I'm resigned to a very long and depressing day of struggling to control anything for this very unstable, very sick patient and with no control comes no improvement and sit down to ponder my options when Anji and Sanjay appear. Anji and Sanjay are our two consultants for the day - Anji and Sanjay are both Indian, Anji is in her late 30's who's polite and soft approach masks a steely interior and and Sanjay is an astonishingly clever guy in his late 40's who's clinical knowledge is pretty much peerless but his communication and 'people' skills are sometimes lacking - he's not rude as such, just a bit 'on the spectrum' and definitely a chap you need to get to know, if I might be permitted to use a rather vulgar term.
Two consultants at a bed space before 10 is not A Good Sign.
'How are we doing here BB' Anji asks me. I explain the above to her and she exchanges glances with Sanjay, who nods very slightly.
'Yeah, I think you're probably right about this poor soul' says Sanjay.
Anji turns back to face me and says 'I'm going to speak to the family. I've been looking at this one for a few days now and we're getting nowhere. I Think we're at the stage of prolonging death now, rather than saving life'.
This would be why she's brought Sanjay in then. A second opinion and confirmation that we're all on the page.
Anji goes off to speak to the family and, after further discussion with Sanjay, we decide to stop the dialysis machine in anticipation of withdrawing care later.

Anji reappears after an hour to tell me that she's spoken to family an they've requested a Zoom call so that they can say goodbye. I call our family liaison officer to arrange a time and myself and Tomasz, another returnee to the unit stop and strip down the dialysis machine and smarten up the patient up with a fresh gown, top sheet and some 'bits that show' personal care(typical things you'd do here would be a shave, face wash, hairbrush and changing of ET tube ties) and then the call happens.
The family are heartbreakingly dignified and composed in the face of not only the worst news ever, but happening in the worst possible fashion.
When they've said their goodbyes I explain to the family how withdrawal of care will work, reassure them them that their loved one will not suffer through the process and ask if there's anything they'd me to do for them.
They ask that they're not left alone and that I talk to them about happier times - grandchildren, holidays and the garden. I make notes on things to say and close the Zoom chat.
Then it's the business of withdrawal of care.

It's important to remember that when you withdraw the care, you are not 'killing' the patient, you are withdrawing any and all support and allowing nature to take its course. This is what we tell to junior embers of the team when we're doing it and, on a cold logical level, it's true.

It's still feels like murder though. Every time.

Thankfully I've only had to do it half a dozen times my career(you remember them all) but it feels like murder every time.

The process starts with me giving a generous bolus of both sedatives. When I say 'generous, I mean 'generous'. The doses involved would generally be good enough for a general anaesthetic. I then stop the muscle relaxant and increase the rate of infusion on my sedatives. Next to stop are the insulin and feed and for good measure I aspirate the NG tube. There's 400mls of undigested feed sat there, so I'm sure they'll feel better for getting rid of that sitting there.
The final stage of the process is weaning down oxygen, ventilator support and blood pressure support. This takes me about 30 minutes all told and I'm talking to the patient all the way through, monitoring for signs of distress(increasing heart rate, rising blood pressure) and adjusting sedation accordingly.
Finally, with everything off or, in the case of the ventilator, at minimal settings I sit and hold the patient's hand, chatting to them about the things their family wanted them to hear and watch as the life signs gradually fade out over the next half hour.
With the ECG flat and no spontaneous breaths happening, I check for a carotid and femoral pulse, switch off the ventilator and monitor and inform the duty SHO so they can certify the patient's passing.

As for me, after calling the family to let them know that their loved one has passed peacefully, I'm headed for a cuppa(I NEED some 'out time) before laying them out and sending them to 'Rose Cottage'.

Stay safe all.

Additional reading(all pretty technical):

AKI in Covid-19:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30229-0/fulltext

Intra-thoracic pressure and blood pressure:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/thorax-pressure

Abbreviations and explanations : https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478292/4576782/common-

Previously...

Part one: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478292/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-one/#0

Part two : https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478646/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-two-a-s

Part three : https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478885/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-three-w

Part four: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/479197/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-four-id

Part Five: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/479404/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-five-ho

Part Six: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/480252/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-six-arrested-developments#480252

[Post edited 12 May 2021 21:17]

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:06 - May 12 with 665 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:00 - May 12 by gtsb1966

It was in Dagenham actually but I was coming via Brentwood so went Brentwood, Romford, Dagenham. Never again.

Brentwood to Dagenham is like going from the the Bahamas to Luton. One is nice and the other.. isn’t.

In general, I avoid Dagenham at all costs.

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:07 - May 12 with 666 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:55 - May 12 by HighgateBlue

OMG. really? What century are we in? There's compulsory free education in this country - how are there people this stupid?

Because some guy on social media with no evidence to back up their ridiculous claim has said the vaccine won't work.
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:08 - May 12 with 667 viewsTheonlywayisup

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:01 - May 12 by BlueBadger

It's not my memory, it's literally the last thing you posted.

ifollow abroad..... by Theonlywayisup 13 Apr 2021 18:05
Currently isolating in Australia 20 floors up. Starved of watching football and just dawned on me can I access ifollow abroad? Would be a pleasant surprise if I can.....

Oh, and the Australian 'normal life' is basically at the cost of making life extremely difficult for anyone wanting to travel there. They're crying out for key workers and tourism of all sorts.
It can't, and won't continue forever. Have a jab you massive fanny, it's very, very safe.

Just like all the other jabs you had when you were a kid.

Oh the one thing I complimented you on was a mistake on my part. Sums you up. I have not said it's not safe have I? It's a personal choice.....says more about you than me that you are telling people what they should do yet I'm happy for each person to make up there own mind.
I'm sure most people would say it's safe to drive on the A12 to work everyday.....but that comes down to interpretation as for some people doing that everyday would not be seen as safe in the long term.
38/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:10 - May 12 with 657 viewsdavblue

38/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:04 - May 12 by BlueBadger

I'm just going to leave this here for the two out-and proud pillocks who think they don't need a jab and other 'silent majority' dickheads.

Tell this person's family we don't need a vaccine.

Despatches From The Front Line Part Seven: Back in Blue by BlueBadger 18 May 2020 16:56
As always, all names and locations have been changed.
Trigger warning: This post contains content you may find upsetting.

So far, My Adventures With Covid-19 have been all about my work as an Outreach nurse, supporting the wards with the sickest of the sick 'in the wild'. That's done with for the time being as 3 weeks ago I was semi-voluntarily redeployed back to the ITU I worked upon for 12 years to shore up numbers and add much-needed experience to the team(the title of this post reflects my uniform colour change - my usual outfit is a rather natty custom made set of scrubs in turquoise - I'm now in varying shades of blue, depending on what's available in the changing room).

It's been a not particularly gentle reintroduction, it's fair to say.
12 hours in full PPE of gown(fabric if you're lucky, super hot plastic-lined paper if you're not), gloves, visor(a choice of light-but-misty-to-look-through medical visors or heavy-but-clear-vision 'helmets' donated by a local builders' merchant) and FFP3 mask(with a filter if you're lucky - you'll live without one, but you'll be a lot more comfortable with one. Oh, and those pictures in the news showing healthcare workers with facial pressures sores after being in them all day - totally A Thing) is no fun for starters, particularly if, like me, you're starting to develop a distinctly 'middle aged' bladder.
Then there's the patients - I'll probably go over this in more detail in the future when I feel closer to the top of the Covid ITU learning curve, but let's just say they stay longer, get sicker and are more unstable than any other ITU patient group in my experience apart from maybe severely septic surgical patients.

Days 1-5 are busy but nothing I can't cope with without a bit of a 'I've had a year out of this, give me some time here please' run-up at them.

Then comes day 6.
There comes a time in the beginning of every ITU nurse's careers when they have *that* day - the one that overwhelms you utterly - either by the sheer amount of work involved in keeping someone alive, a sudden rapid deterioration of condition or Something Else Horrible.
I might have 12 years ITU service under my belt and I'm not a greenhorn by any means but I'm still finding my feet at this point and so I figure I'm allowed a second *that* day.

The patient is in their early 60's and has a previous history of type 2 diabetes and only one working kidney following a renal carcinoma a few years ago but this was successfully treated(by removing the offending organ) and they have enjoyed good health since.
They've been in ITU 18 days and spent 17 of those intubated.
Handover comes from Kim, a lass in her early 30's with a wealth of ITU experience who's married to a serviceman and has thus, never spent longer than 2 years working anywhere.
Despite the head-to-toe PPE I can see she's worried and extremely tired from two nights spent struggling with this patient.
An A-E assessment and handover tells me the following:

A - Airway is safe, due to the presence of an ET tube which is safely secured with fabric ties and an inflatable cuff somewhere just above the patient's larynx.

B - Breathing is severely compromised - the patient is on 70% oxygen via the ventilator, which, due to severe ARDS reducing lung compliance, is needing high airway pressures to inflate the lungs adequately. In an attempt to make the lungs more compliant, the patient has been started on a muscle relaxant drug(sometimes called a 'paralysing agent by anaesthetists) to reduce the amount of 'fight' the lungs have against the ventilator.

C - Cardiovascularly, they're requiring a high dose of noradrenaline to support blood pressure, are running a slightly fast heart rate and the one kidney is in a severe stage 3 AKI and needing dialysis. An estimated 20%+ of ITU patients with covid will suffer an AKI severe enough to need dialysis. On top of this, Kim tells me that any slight movement or change of the patient's position results in either them dropping their oxygen saturation levels, their blood pressure, or both. Urine out is, unsurprisingly given the AKI, low BP and fluid removal on dialysis, minimal.

D - Disability. The 'neuro' bit. When I teach people A-E assessment, I tend to informally refer to 'D' as 'drowsy', so it concentrates the thinking a bit better. the patient is heavily sedated on two strong sedatives - propofol, an anaesthetic agent and fentanyl, a strong opioid. This is needed for two reasons 1 - ET tube tolerance and 2 - being under the influence of muscle relaxants is deeply distressing if you're in any way awake - those stories of patients 'awake' on the operating table but being unable to move you heard a lot about in the 90's? That's what muscle relaxants are like if you're not properly sedated - drugs with huge potential to cause a massive amount of mental trauma. In addition we're running an insulin infusion to control blood sugar - it's running high, unsurprisingly, given the severity of the patient's illness.

E - Exposure or, as I teach it, 'everything else'. There's pressure sores around their mouth from ET tube ties, a nasogastric(NG) tube in place for feeding and bowels haven't been open for around 6 days now. Ominously, Kim reports that the patient appears not to be digesting their feed - she's aspirated 500mls from their stomach at 6 when doing a routine 'are they absorbing' test.

So, three organs confirmed as being 'in failure' and it seems like the gut is coming out in sympathy. and that's before we get into the persistently high blood sugar and skin damage.
I do some checks of my bed space and start tweaking and fine-tuning around my kit and drugs to see if I can improve ANYTHING. Adjusting the ventilator settings results in improved oxygenation but at the cost of much higher airway pressures(and the potential for lung damage) and dropping blood pressure(thanks to the effects of a raised intra-thoracic pressure courtesy of the ventilator pressures on BP), so I abandon that.
Fiddling with sedation(propofol in particular is notorious for lowering blood pressure) results in slightly better blood pressure at the cost of an increasing heart rate - the patient is likely waking on some level and becoming distressed, so I abandon that as well.
Long story short, any and all of the tricks I try(and I have a LOT of tricks) results in one thing mildly improving at the expense of something else getting worse.

After an hour and a half of this, I'm resigned to a very long and depressing day of struggling to control anything for this very unstable, very sick patient and with no control comes no improvement and sit down to ponder my options when Anji and Sanjay appear. Anji and Sanjay are our two consultants for the day - Anji and Sanjay are both Indian, Anji is in her late 30's who's polite and soft approach masks a steely interior and and Sanjay is an astonishingly clever guy in his late 40's who's clinical knowledge is pretty much peerless but his communication and 'people' skills are sometimes lacking - he's not rude as such, just a bit 'on the spectrum' and definitely a chap you need to get to know, if I might be permitted to use a rather vulgar term.
Two consultants at a bed space before 10 is not A Good Sign.
'How are we doing here BB' Anji asks me. I explain the above to her and she exchanges glances with Sanjay, who nods very slightly.
'Yeah, I think you're probably right about this poor soul' says Sanjay.
Anji turns back to face me and says 'I'm going to speak to the family. I've been looking at this one for a few days now and we're getting nowhere. I Think we're at the stage of prolonging death now, rather than saving life'.
This would be why she's brought Sanjay in then. A second opinion and confirmation that we're all on the page.
Anji goes off to speak to the family and, after further discussion with Sanjay, we decide to stop the dialysis machine in anticipation of withdrawing care later.

Anji reappears after an hour to tell me that she's spoken to family an they've requested a Zoom call so that they can say goodbye. I call our family liaison officer to arrange a time and myself and Tomasz, another returnee to the unit stop and strip down the dialysis machine and smarten up the patient up with a fresh gown, top sheet and some 'bits that show' personal care(typical things you'd do here would be a shave, face wash, hairbrush and changing of ET tube ties) and then the call happens.
The family are heartbreakingly dignified and composed in the face of not only the worst news ever, but happening in the worst possible fashion.
When they've said their goodbyes I explain to the family how withdrawal of care will work, reassure them them that their loved one will not suffer through the process and ask if there's anything they'd me to do for them.
They ask that they're not left alone and that I talk to them about happier times - grandchildren, holidays and the garden. I make notes on things to say and close the Zoom chat.
Then it's the business of withdrawal of care.

It's important to remember that when you withdraw the care, you are not 'killing' the patient, you are withdrawing any and all support and allowing nature to take its course. This is what we tell to junior embers of the team when we're doing it and, on a cold logical level, it's true.

It's still feels like murder though. Every time.

Thankfully I've only had to do it half a dozen times my career(you remember them all) but it feels like murder every time.

The process starts with me giving a generous bolus of both sedatives. When I say 'generous, I mean 'generous'. The doses involved would generally be good enough for a general anaesthetic. I then stop the muscle relaxant and increase the rate of infusion on my sedatives. Next to stop are the insulin and feed and for good measure I aspirate the NG tube. There's 400mls of undigested feed sat there, so I'm sure they'll feel better for getting rid of that sitting there.
The final stage of the process is weaning down oxygen, ventilator support and blood pressure support. This takes me about 30 minutes all told and I'm talking to the patient all the way through, monitoring for signs of distress(increasing heart rate, rising blood pressure) and adjusting sedation accordingly.
Finally, with everything off or, in the case of the ventilator, at minimal settings I sit and hold the patient's hand, chatting to them about the things their family wanted them to hear and watch as the life signs gradually fade out over the next half hour.
With the ECG flat and no spontaneous breaths happening, I check for a carotid and femoral pulse, switch off the ventilator and monitor and inform the duty SHO so they can certify the patient's passing.

As for me, after calling the family to let them know that their loved one has passed peacefully, I'm headed for a cuppa(I NEED some 'out time) before laying them out and sending them to 'Rose Cottage'.

Stay safe all.

Additional reading(all pretty technical):

AKI in Covid-19:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30229-0/fulltext

Intra-thoracic pressure and blood pressure:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/thorax-pressure

Abbreviations and explanations : https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478292/4576782/common-

Previously...

Part one: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478292/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-one/#0

Part two : https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478646/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-two-a-s

Part three : https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478885/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-three-w

Part four: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/479197/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-four-id

Part Five: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/479404/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-five-ho

Part Six: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/480252/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-six-arrested-developments#480252

[Post edited 12 May 2021 21:17]

I would add my sister is a nurse and she's been diagnosed with PTSD recently with everything she's seen over the last 14 months. So whilst it's up to the individual, i do think you should have it if you can.
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:12 - May 12 with 650 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:08 - May 12 by Theonlywayisup

Oh the one thing I complimented you on was a mistake on my part. Sums you up. I have not said it's not safe have I? It's a personal choice.....says more about you than me that you are telling people what they should do yet I'm happy for each person to make up there own mind.
I'm sure most people would say it's safe to drive on the A12 to work everyday.....but that comes down to interpretation as for some people doing that everyday would not be seen as safe in the long term.

Fwiw, based on the evidence having had a look myself, I’d say it’s safe enough to take it and help reduce the spread. But with that being said, I do respect the right of those opting not to have it. It is a personal choice I guess but you have to expect you’ll get criticism. And people like Badger who are on the front line and have seen the impact the virus has had first hand will obviously take issue with you. At best, you’re naive for expecting a different reaction to your first post than a flood of down arrows and negative replies.

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:12 - May 12 with 647 viewsSarge

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:43 - May 12 by gardins01

Sorry but cannot understand how any young person who is healthy wants a disease pumps into their body. Why would you?

Oh goody, another idiot with absolutely no grasp of science or reality. Not often they get as far as TWTD, usually get bogged down on Twitter.
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:16 - May 12 with 627 viewsBlueBadger

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:08 - May 12 by Theonlywayisup

Here's the thing about 'choices'. They have consequences. Want to be an anti-vaxxing thicko? You crack on lad. You'll find that that rest of the world will exercise it's freedom of choice to not have anything to do with irresponsible, selfish, pigsh1t ignorant plague rats like you.

Don't you DARE try to patronisingly tell me, of all people here that something which has killed over 170,000 and left many, may more long-term incapacitated that 'it's alright lads, I'm not at any risk'.

A depressingly high number of people I broke bad news to didn't appear like they were at much risk of an untimely death two years ago.

You and your wilfully ignorant, me-me-me arrogance is an insult to not only me, but my exhausted and traumatised colleagues and a fair few people on here who've seen loved ones die or suffer sever incapacitation are a stain upon the rest of humanity.

I sure hope that your piss-poor Laurence Fox tribute act brings you some comfort for the years ahead that your self-imposed sepration from your family brings you.

38/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:20 - May 12 with 602 viewsBlueBadger

38/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:10 - May 12 by davblue

I would add my sister is a nurse and she's been diagnosed with PTSD recently with everything she's seen over the last 14 months. So whilst it's up to the individual, i do think you should have it if you can.

It's quite a mind-boggling stupid decision not to though.

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:25 - May 12 with 647 viewsJ2BLUE

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:12 - May 12 by The_Romford_Blue

Fwiw, based on the evidence having had a look myself, I’d say it’s safe enough to take it and help reduce the spread. But with that being said, I do respect the right of those opting not to have it. It is a personal choice I guess but you have to expect you’ll get criticism. And people like Badger who are on the front line and have seen the impact the virus has had first hand will obviously take issue with you. At best, you’re naive for expecting a different reaction to your first post than a flood of down arrows and negative replies.

You won't get criticism if you don't want it. You'll get criticism if you don't want it and then you start crying about your freedoms and how you should be allowed to do whatever you want while putting everyone else at risk.

General you, not specifically you.

I have my second vaccine tomorrow afternoon.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:32 - May 12 with 617 viewsBlueBadger

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:12 - May 12 by Sarge

Oh goody, another idiot with absolutely no grasp of science or reality. Not often they get as far as TWTD, usually get bogged down on Twitter.

This one would look intellectually out-punched on the News Comments.

38/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:57 - May 12 with 572 viewsdavblue

38/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:20 - May 12 by BlueBadger

It's quite a mind-boggling stupid decision not to though.

I do agree with that just so that’s clear. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t but these people are so entrenched in their views it’s not worth the argument.
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:58 - May 12 with 571 viewsThe_Last_Baron

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:40 - May 12 by chrismakin

Genuine question. Why wouldnt you want it?

More to the point...why would you?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 22:00 - May 12 with 560 viewsSarge

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 21:58 - May 12 by The_Last_Baron

More to the point...why would you?

Maybe so everyone can get their lives back and end this hell and those at risk of dying can like, you know, not die.

Why wouldn’t you? Personal choice is fine but answers supported by science and fact preferably please.
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 22:01 - May 12 with 551 viewsreusersfreekicks

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:43 - May 12 by gardins01

Sorry but cannot understand how any young person who is healthy wants a disease pumps into their body. Why would you?

Ffs
39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 22:19 - May 12 with 505 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

39/39 year olds can book their vaccine from tomorrow morning on 20:35 - May 12 by Theonlywayisup

You seem to be assuming everyone wants to take it. I am 39 and got my message today and promptly deleted the message. I love to travel so if I'm blackmailed into having to have it in order to travel then that's a decision I'll have to make at the time.

Why don't you want to take it?

I suspect you can kiss goodbye to your love of international travel.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024