Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester 07:18 - May 13 with 9954 viewsGlasgowBlue

If they are not sold, although I believe they will be, then how are they ever going to give 100% for Paul Cook knowing that he doesn’t really want them?

Staggered that any of the above players are on his list of unwanted. They should be the future of our club. And what message does it send out to the likes of Baggott and any other promising youths in the under 18’s.

Clear out the the deadwood and the under performers but please don’t rip the heart out if the club.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:22 - May 13 with 5363 viewsPlums

I agree. This could backfire massively. However if he’s looked at them dispassionately as Championship players (Dobra excepted) who have underperformed in League One for two years, it’s easy to see how he’s come to this conclusion. I’m not saying it’s correct but it’s perhaps understandable.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:24 - May 13 with 5329 viewsMrTown

You look at the squad, including these academy players, they’ve failed for 2 years on the spin in League 1.

Why would you keep them? (Dobra aside, barely featured)

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester (n/t) on 07:25 - May 13 with 5309 viewssaffers12

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:22 - May 13 by Plums

I agree. This could backfire massively. However if he’s looked at them dispassionately as Championship players (Dobra excepted) who have underperformed in League One for two years, it’s easy to see how he’s come to this conclusion. I’m not saying it’s correct but it’s perhaps understandable.

[Post edited 13 May 2021 7:26]
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:26 - May 13 with 5298 viewssaffers12

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:22 - May 13 by Plums

I very much agree with yourself,

In league 1 the better players like Jonson Clarke Harris stand out in underperming teams like he did at Rovers

Our players have not stood out for 2 seasons

Do feel it is harsh on Dobra though
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:29 - May 13 with 5257 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Downes, Dozzell and Dobra surprise me - I think those 3 are good enough with a better squad and will step up further with a better mentality around the club.

Woolfenden - He wasn't in Cook's plans until an injury. I feel his attitude/personality probably is an issue and rubs Cook up the wrong way.

Lankester - No surprise. He wasn't in Cook's plans.

Bishop - Again, not really proven himself too much, but there's still an effective squad player in there.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:31 - May 13 with 5216 viewsSitfcB

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:29 - May 13 by IPSWICHFANITFC

Downes, Dozzell and Dobra surprise me - I think those 3 are good enough with a better squad and will step up further with a better mentality around the club.

Woolfenden - He wasn't in Cook's plans until an injury. I feel his attitude/personality probably is an issue and rubs Cook up the wrong way.

Lankester - No surprise. He wasn't in Cook's plans.

Bishop - Again, not really proven himself too much, but there's still an effective squad player in there.

Downes wants to go apparently so not sure why people are crying about him. Fook him.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:32 - May 13 with 5203 viewshadleighboyblue

If the names included are right , it's a massive surprise , surely some of them are worth keeping

Struggling to think of many names that are not included .
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:33 - May 13 with 5195 viewsDanTheMan

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:31 - May 13 by SitfcB

Downes wants to go apparently so not sure why people are crying about him. Fook him.

If he wanted to stay it'd be different but if he still wants to go we should let him. Hopefully for a decent sum we can reinvest.

As for the others mentioned, I'm a little surprised and like GB, disappointed. Throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:33 - May 13 with 5183 viewsMrTown

He does, and I can’t blame him to some extent, he probably is better than Ipswich right now if truth be told. Good money and long contracts have been waved in front of him from higher up the pyramid, so you can’t really blame the lad.

Let him go.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:34 - May 13 with 5186 viewsGlasgowBlue

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:24 - May 13 by MrTown

You look at the squad, including these academy players, they’ve failed for 2 years on the spin in League 1.

Why would you keep them? (Dobra aside, barely featured)

Downes had his first full season last year and was one of the few who came out of it with his head held high.

This season has been stop start due to injuries and suspension but the final few weeks saw him at his best. There is no way Cook could have seen him as not being up to it during his time here.

I’ve been critical of Dozzell this season, but again in the last few weeks he’s been a real asset and shown what he can do. Last season he was barely a part of the team. This is his first full season as a regular.

Dobra is young and raw but wanted by teams in a higher league. Why in earth wouldn’t we develop his talent?

Woolf, like Downes was ibe if the few highlights last year. This season less so. Although he’s been in and out of the starting eleven and had to partner a similarly inexperienced full back. Another talent we should be developing. Even if we get in another couple of full backs.

Lankester I understand. Looks like injuries may be an issue. But Cook put him in his first game in charge based on what he saw in training. Another who should be at least in a squad if 22.

Basically all 5 should be in our squad even if we are looking for better and more experienced.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 7:49]

Iron Lion Zion

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:37 - May 13 with 5140 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I don't think he gets any great offers tbh. He didn't have a good season, he was injured, in and out, injured and then stayed in the team.

But wish him the best.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:39 - May 13 with 5107 viewsGuthrum

Possibly that the U18s will get more chance of making it into the First Team with the others out of the way. Football is quite a dog-eat-dog business when it comes to pushing on as a player.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:39 - May 13 with 5101 viewsSitfcB

The heart of the club

One of them wanted to leave last year, and still does apparently.

One lives off of his dads name.

And

One sulks when he doesn’t play.

Ok a bit surprised about Dobra and maybe Lankester but oh well.

Need a fresh start, mentality in these players isn’t great. All the best to them.

COYB

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:41 - May 13 with 5067 viewsVic

Maybe we (the supporters) don’t have as high standards as Cook and the new owners/management. Maybe we still accept too much mediocrity in our players and just can’t see how poor they are?

I didn’t think we did, but we’ll see!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:42 - May 13 with 5060 viewsHerbivore

This strikes me as being utterly mental. Binning off all of the talented youngsters currently in the squad because he couldn't immediately get a tune out of them? Rather looks like throwing the baby out with the bath water. I can see this window ending up being one we regret if we hold a fire sale of the likes of Downes, Dozzer, Woolf, and Bishop. All of them have the potential to play at a higher level than this and if Cook genuinely thinks he can't realise that potential then that's a worry for me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:44 - May 13 with 5035 viewsFunge

Downes - good player, but didnt want to be here this season - apparent that he wants to play at a higher level, so let him.

Dozzell was *terrible* this year.

Dobra - this one does seem harsh. Perhaps he wants to go?

Woolfenden - was mediocre last year, and, like so many of the others, didnt look like he wanted to be here.

Lankester/ Bishop - see Woolfenden.

We have an attachment with these players as they are academy, and we've seen them grow- but, realistically, they are as much a part of the rot as the Edwards/ Jackson/ Sears of this squad.

I feel for Dobra, and Nydam - the rest of them are authors of their own misfortune.
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:44 - May 13 with 5027 viewsEly_Blue

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:34 - May 13 by GlasgowBlue

Downes had his first full season last year and was one of the few who came out of it with his head held high.

This season has been stop start due to injuries and suspension but the final few weeks saw him at his best. There is no way Cook could have seen him as not being up to it during his time here.

I’ve been critical of Dozzell this season, but again in the last few weeks he’s been a real asset and shown what he can do. Last season he was barely a part of the team. This is his first full season as a regular.

Dobra is young and raw but wanted by teams in a higher league. Why in earth wouldn’t we develop his talent?

Woolf, like Downes was ibe if the few highlights last year. This season less so. Although he’s been in and out of the starting eleven and had to partner a similarly inexperienced full back. Another talent we should be developing. Even if we get in another couple of full backs.

Lankester I understand. Looks like injuries may be an issue. But Cook put him in his first game in charge based on what he saw in training. Another who should be at least in a squad if 22.

Basically all 5 should be in our squad even if we are looking for better and more experienced.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 7:49]

I’d argue that whilst you say Dozzell “has been a real asset” in the last few weeks he should have been that real asset when the pressure was on, when results mattered, when we could have still made the play offs, when we were top of the league but he was one of a number who just went missing.

I’m not sure we have a player at the club who you would want to “build your team around” so therefore I’d say everyone has their value and if that is met then it’s goodbye and see you later.

I think the point was made earlier about stand out players in the team such as Clarke Harris at Peterborough, if we had a player of that ilk then fair enough you hold on as long as you can and build your team around getting him the best service knowing he’s going to win you games single handed lay at times

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:46 - May 13 with 4992 viewslightuser

Maybe Cook doesn't agree with our assesment of their potential?

Maybe Cook thinks that their attitude stinks as much as the ex-seniors?

Has Dyer put the boot in here re: his interview comments about the academy and young players?

Is Klug's position still tenable?

Is our club rotten to the absolute heart of it?
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:47 - May 13 with 4969 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Where has this come from?

I'd be very disappointed to see any of those go.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:48 - May 13 with 4967 viewsRegencyBlue

Who has stood out for you in two poor seasons in the third Division and a Championship relegation ? Most have underperformed and have failed to take the opportunity to impress Cook in any way.

In short they have had their chance. and have blown it, time to move on.
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:49 - May 13 with 4914 viewsSitfcB

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:47 - May 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

Cook tells players to find new club by MrTown 13 May 2021 6:17
A lot more outgoings to come.

https://twitter.com/ipswichstar24/status/1392708697047003139?s=21

COYB

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:50 - May 13 with 4920 viewsGlasgowBlue

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:47 - May 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

Iron Lion Zion

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:52 - May 13 with 4872 viewsRozz

I do think any sensible manager in this position would be phrasing it as "This is the vision. You are free to find another club and the club will listen to offers, but if you're still in the building next year you come back and prove to us you want to be a footballer."

With the list itself, I'm surprised by some and not by others. I think more and more this is looking like an attitude / mentality problem - it really doesn't matter how good you are if you're not going to give 100% for your manager + club. Some of these youngsters, despite being decent enough talents, haven't been in the right headspace and we've suffered badly from the us vs them mentality that Lambert built to hide behind.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 7:55]
Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:55 - May 13 with 4800 viewsSteve_M

I'm sure that we've been open to offers on most players since relegation, some of that reflected our finances under Evans but also the reality of football, that clubs will pick up players from weaker clubs regularly.

I'm not sure it's helpful to look at all of those on that list in the same way but some continuity is important to the club retaining it's identity and I'll be very disappointed if those all leave at once. It's not even that logical from a maximising income perspective as only Dozzell and Dobra on that list have bettered their previous seasons.

Downes may want to go but he's yet to establish himself as a dominant player in this team so at most he'll be on loan to a mid-table Championship club for the next couple of years. If Cook wanted to he could make a good case for building around Downes which increases the upside for the player in 18 months time.

Lankester I fear may never become what he could have been, he had 18 months out and only the goal against Sunderland last season showed any trace of the fearless teenager who broke through in late 2018. For all the stick Bennetts and Edwards got they contributed far more than JL last season.

Dozzell and Wolfenden both have a lot more to offer and will be worth more after another year here. LW had a poor season but finished it well, looking more comfortable.

It perhaps reflects Cook feeling under pressure though, he's made a poor start and our new owners aren't going to indulge him for too long next season unless we start well.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra, Woolfenden & Lankester on 07:56 - May 13 with 4798 viewsVic

“And what message does it send out to the likes of Baggott and any other promising youths in the under 18’s.”

I guess it tells them that mediocrity won’t do. It should push them to even harder. I have no problem with the message this sets - it’s raising the bar of what is acceptable at the club, which is a good thing.

I’m just not sure that Dobra, Downes and Woolfie couldn’t have got to that standard. But if reports of Downes wanting out again are true then that changes his situation. If he doesn’t want to be part of this bright new era then it’s best he goes.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024