Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out 08:41 - May 13 with 1144 viewsDarth_Koont

Who is the source for this? It doesn’t mention one in the article.

We don’t know what was said to Dobra or Downes etc. in their meetings with Cook.

If the source is Cook or someone close to him, it could just as well be a general message that players need to prove their worth, no matter who they are.

Pronouns: He/Him

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 08:42 - May 13 with 1125 viewsDanTheMan

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 08:44 - May 13 with 1094 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Why would a journalist name their source and never get anything from them ever again?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 08:45 - May 13 with 1076 viewsDarth_Koont

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 08:42 - May 13 by DanTheMan

Multiple sources for private meetings suggest that it’s about getting a message out there.

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 08:49 - May 13 with 1012 viewsDarth_Koont

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 08:44 - May 13 by Cheltenham_Blue

Why would a journalist name their source and never get anything from them ever again?

They don’t need to name them. But there wasn’t even the indication that the source/sources even worked at the club.

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 08:51 - May 13 with 989 viewsSomethingBlue

They'll be speaking to agents, family members, people in players' orbit, possibly others inside club, in some cases maybe even players themselves — can't expect those sources to be named or potentially identified, have to trust that the journalists have done a responsible job and I would expect those lads have.

What it all means is up for debate though, definitely. Presumably he's not closed the door on these players entirely so there might be a rocket-up-the-5rse factor somewhere. But he's treading a very high wire, I'm certainly not up for seeing 11 x Conor McEleny replacing the current bunch, tainted though they all are, so I hope there's a very convincing plan.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 9:00]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 09:09 - May 13 with 826 viewscatch74

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 08:45 - May 13 by Darth_Koont

Multiple sources for private meetings suggest that it’s about getting a message out there.

This is surely the point, how do you make players who are part of the furniture, feel too comfortable, hungry. If you go into any company and do similar, surely what you’re looking for is for a reponse, fighting to stay etc. If that happens then great, if it doesn’t then the right thing is for them to leave.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 10:24 - May 13 with 666 viewstractorboy1978

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 08:51 - May 13 by SomethingBlue

They'll be speaking to agents, family members, people in players' orbit, possibly others inside club, in some cases maybe even players themselves — can't expect those sources to be named or potentially identified, have to trust that the journalists have done a responsible job and I would expect those lads have.

What it all means is up for debate though, definitely. Presumably he's not closed the door on these players entirely so there might be a rocket-up-the-5rse factor somewhere. But he's treading a very high wire, I'm certainly not up for seeing 11 x Conor McEleny replacing the current bunch, tainted though they all are, so I hope there's a very convincing plan.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 9:00]

I may be naive but I just don't believe for a second we've gone so hard in putting the right structure in off the pitch to then not do the same on the pitch. For a L1 club, the owners have put some serious cash down to employ the likes of O'Leary, Ashton, Rolls and whoever else ends up coming in from Bristol City. With that will come significant investment in the medical, sports science, recruitment etc. To then bring in bang average L1 players would not make sense at all. I know getting players down here who could be playing higher won't be simple but we must be looking to have a right go at it this summer and must be pretty confident we will get the players we want.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:25]
Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 12:32 - May 13 with 553 viewsDarth_Koont

Just before everyone gets the pitchforks out on 09:09 - May 13 by catch74

This is surely the point, how do you make players who are part of the furniture, feel too comfortable, hungry. If you go into any company and do similar, surely what you’re looking for is for a reponse, fighting to stay etc. If that happens then great, if it doesn’t then the right thing is for them to leave.

Indeed.

The reported “Cook tells players to find new clubs” also has no context.

Is that “I’m not going to play you so you need to find a new club”? Or “If you don’t want to be here you need to find a new club”? Which we know he’s already said.

I think for the vast majority of players it will be one or the other, and perhaps a combination for some.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024