Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... 10:07 - May 13 with 5050 viewsitfcjoe

All our middle aged players - i.e. those 25-30 - who are expected to be in their prime have let us done badly.

Leaving us relying on a combination of the old guard and youngsters coming through

Hanging those at the end of their careers and beginning of their careers out to dry

And this is where we now are, where we are getting rid of good players that we have produced, who have never been in a functioning team because of poor management from the last 2 managers.

Cook now walking a tight rope, so much pressure on this summer and realistically playing such a high stakes game

Hopefully he can get it right, because I can't stomach much more time at this level - especially if there isn't even some home grown players to get behind!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:25 - May 13 with 2889 viewsParsley

Totally agree. There will still be homegrown players to get behind and some bright prospects coming through which I'm sure you're more aware of than me but perhaps just not the ones that are currently in the squad.
So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:27 - May 13 with 2869 viewsHerbivore

And yet we're looking at trying to keep Edwards, Nolan is sticking around, and we've extended the contracts of Nsiala, Donacien, and Jackson. The banter era rolls on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:29 - May 13 with 2810 viewschrismakin

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:27 - May 13 by Herbivore

And yet we're looking at trying to keep Edwards, Nolan is sticking around, and we've extended the contracts of Nsiala, Donacien, and Jackson. The banter era rolls on.

Keep seeing Nolan pop up

Why?

Hes been injured. PC liked him before he came to Ipswich and Nolan scored more goals than the rest of our midfielders.. why wouldnt he want to work with him.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:33 - May 13 with 2801 viewsCoastalblue

While I appreciate we probably wouldn't be where we are in the first place, I wonder how much of the reaction is down to the Hurst experience. If we'd never gone through that and then saw a manager come in and rip up an underperforming team then maybe people would have been more forgiving.

I have to be honest, I've got to a stage where I don't really know what to make of it now and am just going to sit back and watch. This is likely to go one of two ways from here, we've already seen one of them (Hurst) so hopefully it's spectacular in the other direction.

Cook either has some very big assurances from above or some very big balls.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:34 - May 13 with 2781 viewsBloomBlue

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:29 - May 13 by chrismakin

Keep seeing Nolan pop up

Why?

Hes been injured. PC liked him before he came to Ipswich and Nolan scored more goals than the rest of our midfielders.. why wouldnt he want to work with him.

Because when he has played for the last 2 seasons he hasn't done anything to dominate a game, which apparently is the same reason why Cook is correct in letting the likes of Doz, Bishop etc leave
So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:34 - May 13 with 2783 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Hurst truly is our worst ever manager, for me. The amount of damage caused in such a short amount of time because he thought he was some big dog, is truly staggering.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

The thing to remember about Nolan.... on 10:36 - May 13 with 2741 viewsBloots

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:34 - May 13 by BloomBlue

Because when he has played for the last 2 seasons he hasn't done anything to dominate a game, which apparently is the same reason why Cook is correct in letting the likes of Doz, Bishop etc leave

...is that he's a scouser.

Eh? Calm down, calm down.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:37 - May 13 with 2733 viewsHarlestonblue

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:33 - May 13 by Coastalblue

While I appreciate we probably wouldn't be where we are in the first place, I wonder how much of the reaction is down to the Hurst experience. If we'd never gone through that and then saw a manager come in and rip up an underperforming team then maybe people would have been more forgiving.

I have to be honest, I've got to a stage where I don't really know what to make of it now and am just going to sit back and watch. This is likely to go one of two ways from here, we've already seen one of them (Hurst) so hopefully it's spectacular in the other direction.

Cook either has some very big assurances from above or some very big balls.

"am just going to sit back and watch"
I endorse your comments. That's all we can do. It does seem a risky strategy but we have to trust PC to get it right. I would love to fast forward a year and see if it has paid off.
Login to get fewer ads

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:43 - May 13 with 2686 viewsHerbivore

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:29 - May 13 by chrismakin

Keep seeing Nolan pop up

Why?

He scored fewer than Judge, Bishop, and Edwards. He's not a young player and is unlikely to improve and he's been toss for the whole time he's been at the club. If Cook likes him we should be worried.

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:44 - May 13 with 2670 viewsjayessess

Something almost funny about it the day after watching the U18s.

Almost like everyone turning round and saying, "great job lads! You've done the club proud. Can't wait for you to grow up and break into the first team, so the fans can immediately get on your back and cheer when you get released!"

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:47 - May 13 with 2645 viewsSteve_M

Yes, and we will sell players for well below what we could sell them for in another year because we've made it so clear we'll sell anyone, see Adam Webster for example.

Downes, Dozzell and Wolfenden all have a far higher ceiling than lower-end Championship let alone where we are now. Are we really not willing to let them reach that ceiling because of a clamour for change.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:49 - May 13 with 2624 viewsmarchy

Must say, I'm getting a little nervous now. All the big talk and bombast and promises of a new dawn as if we're hearing from an actual managerial great rather than just a decent lower-league manager...but he's looking like he's throwing out the baby with the bathwater, and the "TWTD understands" links look by and large like he's just going to be going back for some old mates. It's all looking dangerously Hurstian at this point...
So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:50 - May 13 with 2604 viewspositivity

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:43 - May 13 by Herbivore

He scored fewer than Judge, Bishop, and Edwards. He's not a young player and is unlikely to improve and he's been toss for the whole time he's been at the club. If Cook likes him we should be worried.

once again, facts aren't your strong point are they?

nolan 5 goals from 17 games
judge 4 from 38 games
bish 4 from 38 games

you're right about edwards (6) but he took 40 games to get them.

i don't agree with the supposed scorched earth policy of our young players, but it's perfectly reasonable that cook should want to at least look at nolan, who's well regarded at this level.

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:51 - May 13 with 2580 viewschrismakin

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:43 - May 13 by Herbivore

Memory must have gone for me then lol cant remember bishop and judge getting 4 goals last season.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:53 - May 13 with 2574 viewsjayessess

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:50 - May 13 by positivity

judge 4 from 38 games
bish 4 from 38 games

i don't agree with the supposed scorched earth policy of our young players, but it's perfectly reasonable that cook should want to at least look at nolan, who's well regarded at this level.

You want to see the rest of Nolan's stats which are absolutely dreadful. Ranked dead last of our centre midfielders for tackles, interceptions, blocks, clearances. Even Bishop looks good in comparison.

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:01 - May 13 with 2509 viewsHerbivore

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:50 - May 13 by positivity

judge 4 from 38 games
bish 4 from 38 games

I was going on league goals given that we don't turn up for cup games, and the EFL Trophy is basically a friendly.

Some of our fans have lost their heads (though I suspect you never had yours). Nolan is late 20s now, no real scope for much improvement, and has been awful for 3 years. Conclusion - Cook is justified in wanting to keep him on. And yet our young players who have shown ability at this level and in some cases at the level above should be binned off. Bizzare.

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:10 - May 13 with 2435 viewsPositivelyPortman

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 10:53 - May 13 by jayessess

You want to see the rest of Nolan's stats which are absolutely dreadful. Ranked dead last of our centre midfielders for tackles, interceptions, blocks, clearances. Even Bishop looks good in comparison.

“Even Bishop looks good in comparison”.
I thought you worshipped at the feet of Bish?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:12 - May 13 with 2428 viewsPositivelyPortman

Haha Ludicrous statement.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:18 - May 13 with 2404 viewspositivity

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:01 - May 13 by Herbivore

I was going on league goals given that we don't turn up for cup games, and the EFL Trophy is basically a friendly.

Some of our fans have lost their heads (though I suspect you never had yours). Nolan is late 20s now, no real scope for much improvement, and has been awful for 3 years. Conclusion - Cook is justified in wanting to keep him on. And yet our young players who have shown ability at this level and in some cases at the level above should be binned off. Bizzare.

and you complain about selective stats!!

nolan's goals came
(1) in a strong team including doz, bish, edwards & judge
(2) against a strong portsmouth side

even taking out those goals, the goals per game is well above anyone else you mention. he's clearly more of a goalscorer (especially over bish)

i'd disagree with cook if he chooses to sell bish and keep nolan, but it's not unreasonable to at least look at nolan. he hasn't been great under lambert, but has been very effective indeed before that. cook may well think he can get him back to that form.

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:24 - May 13 with 2376 viewsHerbivore

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:18 - May 13 by positivity

nolan's goals came

even taking out those goals, the goals per game is well above anyone else you mention. he's clearly more of a goalscorer (especially over bish)

i'd disagree with cook if he chooses to sell bish and keep nolan, but it's not unreasonable to at least look at nolan. he hasn't been great under lambert, but has been very effective indeed before that. cook may well think he can get him back to that form.

If we're pinning our hopes on getting a 29 year old Jon Nolan back to form he showed in one season back in 2017/18 then I really worry for the direction we're going in. Nolan's three years here have been really poor and he's hardly a youngster who is likely to significantly improve. Just seems very odd to me that he's not high up on the list of those we're looking to move on.

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:28 - May 13 with 2346 viewsjayessess

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:18 - May 13 by positivity

nolan's goals came

It'd be bizarre to look at a group of midfielders aged 22,22, 24 and 29 and decide it's the 29-year-old who you can coach to kick on and suddenly show you more, wouldn't it?

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:29 - May 13 with 2338 viewspositivity

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:24 - May 13 by Herbivore

If we're pinning our hopes on getting a 29 year old Jon Nolan back to form he showed in one season back in 2017/18 then I really worry for the direction we're going in. Nolan's three years here have been really poor and he's hardly a youngster who is likely to significantly improve. Just seems very odd to me that he's not high up on the list of those we're looking to move on.

i think you overstate how much hope is being pinned on nolan by cook.

i don't believe cook's ever said he'd build a team around nolan, and none of the itk posters have stated this either.

it's merely that cook hasn't had a chance to work with him yet, and (like donacien) he's got a chance to prove his worth. if he fails then he'll join the masses in the free to leave category.

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 12:05 - May 13 with 2196 viewsbluebud

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:28 - May 13 by jayessess

It'd be bizarre to look at a group of midfielders aged 22,22, 24 and 29 and decide it's the 29-year-old who you can coach to kick on and suddenly show you more, wouldn't it?

Not really...in your example it seems age is the only variable being measured....it's actually a very ageist stance you're taking...very disappointing.
So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 12:07 - May 13 with 2170 viewsjayessess

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 12:05 - May 13 by bluebud

Not really...in your example it seems age is the only variable being measured....it's actually a very ageist stance you're taking...very disappointing.

lol

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 12:10 - May 13 with 2140 viewspositivity

So much of this is down to Hurst's disaster of a window.... on 11:28 - May 13 by jayessess

not when the 29 year old is the one who hasn't shown you anything yet as he's been injured for the entirety of your stay!

if the 29 year old doesn't kick on you get rid, if the 22 year old does respond, he becomes unsellable (or his asking price goes up at least, don't think anyone's unsellable in league one)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024