Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One thing I'm not sure about... 10:49 - May 13 with 2550 viewsOriginalMarkyP

...if all these players Cook has told they can go are under contract, what's to stop them going fine. I'll just sit here, train and see out my contract and take up squad space?

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:51 - May 13 with 1868 viewsPhilTWTD

Nothing if that's what they want to do.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:52 - May 13 with 1847 viewsOriginalMarkyP

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:51 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

Then isn't that a bit of a problem? Player power and all that?

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:53 - May 13 with 1840 viewspositivity

though the "squad space" is in the club's control

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:54 - May 13 with 1820 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:52 - May 13 by OriginalMarkyP

Then isn't that a bit of a problem? Player power and all that?

Not really no.

The club, and the player, knew what they were signing up for.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:55 - May 13 with 1796 viewsWD19

Its what many of them have been doing for a while.

In fact I would speculate that is has boiled Cooks p!ss that a number of them may have cruised through the past few weeks thinking they are safe with a contract for next season and/or because they are 'one of our own'.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:55 - May 13 with 1803 viewsKropotkin123

If it was desperate enough, we could pay them out of their contract, surely?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:55 - May 13 with 1791 viewsPhilTWTD

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:53 - May 13 by positivity

though the "squad space" is in the club's control

They'd still be at the club taking wages even if not included in the squad.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:55 - May 13 with 1781 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:55 - May 13 by Kropotkin123

Yes, in full. Or at an agreed level with the player if they could come to common ground, so they can go out and play elsewhere.
Login to get fewer ads

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:57 - May 13 with 1751 viewsPhilTWTD

Yes, if a deal could be done. But they could just sit it out if they wanted to.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:59 - May 13 with 1728 viewsOriginalMarkyP

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:55 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

They'd still be at the club taking wages even if not included in the squad.

And theorectially still at the club at the training ground creating an atmosphere. It seems a bit of an iffy tactic to me. Or at least one that's easy to sabotage if you're on the wrong side of it and feel like it.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:59]

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:00 - May 13 with 1693 viewsSuperfrans

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:57 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

Yes, if a deal could be done. But they could just sit it out if they wanted to.

Is your understanding that the players have been told directly, "you need to go and find a club" or "nobody is indispensible and if we get good offer for you we will consider it"?

The two sentences mean broadly the same thing, but there is a very different emphasis.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:05 - May 13 with 1677 viewsPhilTWTD

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:00 - May 13 by Superfrans

Is your understanding that the players have been told directly, "you need to go and find a club" or "nobody is indispensible and if we get good offer for you we will consider it"?

The two sentences mean broadly the same thing, but there is a very different emphasis.

I obviously wasn't in the individual meetings but it was along the lines that they can find themselves other clubs, obviously the latter follows on from that.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:05 - May 13 with 1665 viewsStewart27

One thing I'm not sure about... on 10:59 - May 13 by OriginalMarkyP

And theorectially still at the club at the training ground creating an atmosphere. It seems a bit of an iffy tactic to me. Or at least one that's easy to sabotage if you're on the wrong side of it and feel like it.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:59]

Which is slightly baffling that we have offered contracts to players in order to sell them. Thus potentially creating more of these situations.

Huge summer off the pitch. One I’ve never seen before.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:09 - May 13 with 1638 viewsButterbing

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:05 - May 13 by Stewart27

Which is slightly baffling that we have offered contracts to players in order to sell them. Thus potentially creating more of these situations.

Huge summer off the pitch. One I’ve never seen before.

We haven't offered them contracts. We have taken up an option on the contracts to extend them for a year. The players don't get a choice in it but the club essentially has a break clause. They must be confident that they can get some fees for these guys.

On the flip side it appears that we didn't have a choice with Bishop as his contract had a clause meaning it had to be extended. Perhaps it was noticed too late unlike Judge and Ward.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:12 - May 13 with 1597 viewshype313

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:05 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

I obviously wasn't in the individual meetings but it was along the lines that they can find themselves other clubs, obviously the latter follows on from that.

You mentioned Norwood in your piece, always got the feeling that Cook doesn't think he is going to be the consistent goal scorer he wants, although it seemed like he was one of the few that were staying regardless, interesting he's been told he can leave.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:13 - May 13 with 1590 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Thats always an option.

But also a very bad precedent to set if players have significant time remaining on their contract. Its bad practice and a last resort.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:16 - May 13 with 1568 viewsBlueFrankie26

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:05 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

If they can’t get another club permanently, they can go on loan for the remainder of their contract. But they won’t be allowed to stay and just train with the group.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:17 - May 13 with 1547 viewsPhilTWTD

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:12 - May 13 by hype313

You mentioned Norwood in your piece, always got the feeling that Cook doesn't think he is going to be the consistent goal scorer he wants, although it seemed like he was one of the few that were staying regardless, interesting he's been told he can leave.

Is he going to stay fit? I think that's probably the bigger issue. It's going to be interesting how the summer progresses, club has got a balance to keep to with the SCMP limit in terms of ins and outs.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:19 - May 13 with 1536 viewsPhilTWTD

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:16 - May 13 by BlueFrankie26

If they can’t get another club permanently, they can go on loan for the remainder of their contract. But they won’t be allowed to stay and just train with the group.

Yes, that can happen. But if they want to just stay, they can just stay. Ben Thatcher did that when it was clear Roy Keane wasn't going to play him. In reality, I doubt anyone currently here will do that.
One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:23 - May 13 with 1481 viewsGuthrum

Or, if over the age of 21, simply exclude them from the list of players registered for the League.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:24 - May 13 with 1468 viewsBlueFrankie26

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:19 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

Yes, that can happen. But if they want to just stay, they can just stay. Ben Thatcher did that when it was clear Roy Keane wasn't going to play him. In reality, I doubt anyone currently here will do that.

Some have been told they won’t be allowed to train with the group if they don’t get a permanent or loan move, so would have to train either on their own or with U23’s, or be told not even wanted to come to the training ground
One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:25 - May 13 with 1457 viewsGuthrum

Wouldn't be a great option for their further career. No playing time and gaining a reputation for being awkward.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:26 - May 13 with 1444 viewsclive_baker

Personally I can't say I really understand triggering someone like Drinan's contract with the hope that someone then comes in for him. What would we get for him on a good day? £50k? Even that I think is unrealistic. There's minimal upside potential there, while inheriting the risk that, as you say, he sits around unwanted and getting paid. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Perhaps I'm overly cynical, and I will remain optimistic and open minded, but it has the makings of being a complete car crash IMO, if we lose our assets with the most potential (Downes, Dobra, Dozzell) for pittance. Hopefully that's not the case.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:27 - May 13 with 1424 viewsHarryB

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:19 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

Phil what about hawkins and drinan? Surely they have been told that they are moving on as well?
One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:27 - May 13 with 1406 viewsButterbing

One thing I'm not sure about... on 11:24 - May 13 by BlueFrankie26

Some have been told they won’t be allowed to train with the group if they don’t get a permanent or loan move, so would have to train either on their own or with U23’s, or be told not even wanted to come to the training ground

Don't clubs have a duty to provide training? I might be wrong but I don't think players can be prevented from coming to the training ground. I think they would just be with the U23s.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024