Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
14/15 and the “Ipswich way” 13:07 - May 13 with 1201 viewsJDB23

So then given all the noise today, how many people would describe the play-off season as something done in the “Ipswich way”? How many young academy prospects did we have in and around the first team? Bishop and Hyam? Is that it? Obviously Smith was there but he was an experienced pro at that point.

Some people shouting the loudest today are also the biggest Mick lovers. Would you he rather played more academy prospects and we finished 10th that year? Let’s just chill out a bit shall we, I’m still very much looking forward to this Summer.
14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 13:11 - May 13 with 1159 viewsTractorWood

To me your question proves the point. The Ipswich way is a myth or is so old and nebulous that it is basically mythical.

I don't really care about how we do it but I'm desperate for any approach that is conducive to success. Whether that's Mick Ma bus parking or tika taka, or inverted false 9's or whatever the fad is this week.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 13:22 - May 13 with 1123 viewsborge

I'm not totally sure of your point. But if the Ipswich way incorporates decent football and the inclusion of youth, then no, 14/15 definitely wasn't the Ipswich way.
14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 13:29 - May 13 with 1101 viewsJDB23

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 13:22 - May 13 by borge

I'm not totally sure of your point. But if the Ipswich way incorporates decent football and the inclusion of youth, then no, 14/15 definitely wasn't the Ipswich way.

My point is that many on here having a meltdown today no doubt loved the play off season and have it as one of their all time favourites, despite it not conforming to the traits you mention.
14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 14:05 - May 13 with 1067 viewsblueislander

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 13:11 - May 13 by TractorWood

To me your question proves the point. The Ipswich way is a myth or is so old and nebulous that it is basically mythical.

I don't really care about how we do it but I'm desperate for any approach that is conducive to success. Whether that's Mick Ma bus parking or tika taka, or inverted false 9's or whatever the fad is this week.

You need to look up the meaning of "myth" and "mythical" I think you will find that it means that something did not exist , and is a figment of the imagination. To those of us who supported Town in the 60s,70s and early 80s it definitely did exist . The phrase was widely used by many people in football not connected to the club.
14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 14:11 - May 13 with 1054 viewsSwansea_Blue

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 13:11 - May 13 by TractorWood

Yep. If we ever had a 'way' it's been long lost and I bet we'd struggle to agree on what that way was. The overiding Ipswich way lately has been apathy, on and off the pitch.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a clear identity from the point of view of engaging with the club (likeminded values = stronger connection and all that), but it's not necessarily needed. All our successful spells have had their own unique identities and different ways of playing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 14:16 - May 13 with 1038 viewsblueislander

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 14:11 - May 13 by Swansea_Blue

Yep. If we ever had a 'way' it's been long lost and I bet we'd struggle to agree on what that way was. The overiding Ipswich way lately has been apathy, on and off the pitch.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a clear identity from the point of view of engaging with the club (likeminded values = stronger connection and all that), but it's not necessarily needed. All our successful spells have had their own unique identities and different ways of playing.

Borge's post on the other thread gives a pretty good summary of what it was, and most of us that were around in that era would agree with most , if not all, of his points.
14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 14:23 - May 13 with 1019 viewsSwansea_Blue

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 14:16 - May 13 by blueislander

Borge's post on the other thread gives a pretty good summary of what it was, and most of us that were around in that era would agree with most , if not all, of his points.

Yes, although that view seems very founded in Burley's time. We're as different from that as Burley's team was from SBR's teams, and as SBR's teams were from Sir Alf's.

Although I'd certainly agree if we we're re-defining our values that would be a cracking starting point. I think all of us would be happy with those as aims.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 16:59 - May 13 with 941 viewsTractorWood

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 14:05 - May 13 by blueislander

You need to look up the meaning of "myth" and "mythical" I think you will find that it means that something did not exist , and is a figment of the imagination. To those of us who supported Town in the 60s,70s and early 80s it definitely did exist . The phrase was widely used by many people in football not connected to the club.

I think you've missed the nuance in my point and consequently you've proved my point 100 times over:

'is so old and nebulous that it is basically mythical'.

You then immediately start talking about intangible concepts with no evidence from 40-60 years ago.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 18:36 - May 13 with 895 viewsblueislander

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 16:59 - May 13 by TractorWood

I think you've missed the nuance in my point and consequently you've proved my point 100 times over:

'is so old and nebulous that it is basically mythical'.

You then immediately start talking about intangible concepts with no evidence from 40-60 years ago.

The concept is indeed old, but not nebulous. The fact that it is intangible does not make it mythical. For those of us who supported Town then it was real. Borge has given a lengthy list of components. The fact that you do not recognize it is quite understandable, but you can’t deny it existed when for many of experienced it.
14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 00:49 - May 14 with 781 viewsbournemouthblue

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 18:36 - May 13 by blueislander

The concept is indeed old, but not nebulous. The fact that it is intangible does not make it mythical. For those of us who supported Town then it was real. Borge has given a lengthy list of components. The fact that you do not recognize it is quite understandable, but you can’t deny it existed when for many of experienced it.

The side under Royle who should have gone up featured Bent, Richards, Westlake, Supple, Price and possibly even Bowditch?

We scored a lot of goals that season, I'd say that was doing it the Ipswich way?

I suppose for some, that's still a long time ago

The youth team from Bent's generation made the play-off semi-finals too

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 07:56 - May 14 with 673 viewsChurchman

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 00:49 - May 14 by bournemouthblue

The side under Royle who should have gone up featured Bent, Richards, Westlake, Supple, Price and possibly even Bowditch?

We scored a lot of goals that season, I'd say that was doing it the Ipswich way?

I suppose for some, that's still a long time ago

The youth team from Bent's generation made the play-off semi-finals too

Of the two play off seasons under Royle, Bent and Westlake were present for both. Richards for one of them. The other players you mention hardly played at all. Royles team wasn’t the best but in Shefki, Bent and Miller, there were plenty of goals and played in a similar way to his Man City and Oldham teams. There was no ‘Ipswich way’ about it in my opinion.
14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 08:04 - May 14 with 655 viewsHerbivore

This really needed a thread. Some people have decided that they want to uncritically support everything Paul Cook does, and that's fine. Others have some worries about deciding to offload all of the academy graduates from our first team squad, and that's also fine. Most of the bedwetting seems to be coming from the former group of people to be honest. There's been a ton of these threads flouncing and moaning because apparently expressing a sceptical or critical opinion on a message board isn't the right way to be a supporter. It's tedious.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

14/15 and the “Ipswich way” on 08:09 - May 14 with 648 viewsBluespeed225

The ‘Ipswich Way’ is as made up as the ‘West Ham Academy’. The ‘Anfield Boot Room’ may have some truth as far as managerial lineage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024