Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. 18:32 - May 14 with 10697 viewsTrequartista

I'm not a viroligist. I'm not an expert. I'm not a fortune-teller. I'm not privy to all the data. I'm just a punter trying to make sense of the data in the public domain.

So why on earth did we keep India off the red list for so long when people like me could see a mile off back in mid-April that this was a huge risk? This was not hindsight, this was plain sight.

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by StokieBlue 14 Apr 2021 11:43
It sounds awful there at the moment with a new wave running totally out of control after the easing of restrictions:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/a-tsunami-of-cases-desperation-as-covid-second-wave-batters-india

This line is the one that is incredibly worrying though and I would think should mean India is on the red list until other countries can do some genome sequencing:

"Nightmare scenes of a country struggling to cope have begun to emerge as doctors speak of a new variant of the virus that appears to be spreading faster than ever before, affecting young people and even children this time around."

"This time we are seeing younger people between 20 and 40 getting seriously affected and even children are now being hospitalised with severe symptoms."

SB

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by Trequartista 16 Apr 2021 9:40
The ‘double mutation’ Indian variant has today been detected in the uk. I am absolutely amazed India was not put on the red list. We knew it was bad there when they withheld the az vaccine for their own people. Appalling mistake by the government

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by StokieBlue 23 Apr 2021 12:44
So India is now on the red list, 9 days after this thread and obviously far too late.

The most sequenced variant of C19 in the UK (after the UK variant) is now the Indian B1617 variant. It's not huge numbers at the moment but it's definitely here and most likely has been for a month or two (but closing up sooner would likely still have helped).

This table is quite interesting to show the difference between the variants - with regards to the Indian variant a lot of the answers are "don't know" at the moment:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1383107879058608129

SB

Where are the questions from the journalists about this? All I saw was questions about the future that have already been answered with "depends and don't know". Where is the Labour Party holding the Government and its advisors to task? Yvette Cooper is the only person i've seen ask the question.

Look at this from disgraceful statement from Whitty ""What we know with all the variants is that things can come out of a blue sky - you're not expecting it and then something happens - that happened with the B.1.1.7 (the variant first identified in Kent), that has happened to India with this variant as well"

The only thing coming out the blue sky were the aeroplanes you kept letting land from India bringing the variants!

They is now a fair chance we are going to be asked to obey restrictions for longer than promised because of this, and no-one seems to care.

Livid.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:33 - May 14 with 4522 viewsBlueBadger

Is the answer 'because the government are corrupt, incompetent sociopaths'?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:40 - May 14 with 4455 viewsSwansea_Blue

If Whitty said that, it's s fkn discrace indeed and shows he's completely compromised. Indi Sage (yes, I know they get a bad wrap form some quarters) and other independent scienctists were banging on about this for a couple of weeks before the government even announced they were going to act (and then they waited some more days).

As you say it's all entirely, depressingly predictable. Again.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:43 - May 14 with 4410 viewsgalacticoblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:33 - May 14 by BlueBadger

Incompetent corruption is the best kind.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:43 - May 14 with 4422 viewsTractorWood

Tories innit.

Bafflingly obvious decision a few weeks ago.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:44 - May 14 with 4417 viewsjeera

I'm not sure it would have been Whitty letting planes land from India bringing the variants.

Nor is it the sole responsibility of any other party to tell the government what some people on a forum could already see in sleepy Suffolk.

The government make these decisions having more info at hand than you and I. We're not important mate - let those bodies pile high.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:45 - May 14 with 4408 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Don't worry. They'll learn from their mistakes here and also absolutely make sure that no future variants impact on the supposed path out of lockdown and back to a semblance of normality.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:45 - May 14 with 4401 viewsNthQldITFC

Does a red list really work though? Is the managed hotel quarantine enforced? What about people or entire flights who may have been in close contact with people from red list countries in transit? Would it be feasible to have an enforced 10 day quarantine for ALL arrivees into the UK, and what sort of numbers could we handle in that scenario, resulting in what sort of percentage cut on current travel rates?

Lazy but unloaded questions as I haven't really read much on this lately.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:51 - May 14 with 4336 viewsBlueBadger

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:43 - May 14 by galacticoblue

Incompetent corruption is the best kind.

Ironically they're very good at the whole corruption thing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:51 - May 14 with 4329 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:33 - May 14 by BlueBadger

No Blue Badger, not at all. Your constant tirade towards a government that is far from perfect, along with so many others on here, does nothing but push more voters towards them.
Any government needs a strong opposition - all we have at the moment is thousands of Captain Hindsights, thousands of those so far left they are in danger of falling off their pedestals and thousands of folk with no alternate medicine/policies/ideas at all.
I, for the best part of 65 years was a left of centre voter - it is the likes of you, that convinces the likes of me to have no truck with the left until some semblance of common sense is restored.
Posts like the one you have made is music to the ears of those you wish to defeat...
I remember the days when a crisis such as covid would have resulted in parties uniting and working together - you and your ilk are doing more damage to the left than you realise.
This Indian variant is troublesome, and needs us all pulling together to defeat it. Thank goodness the majority of folk on these islands understand that, whatever political persuasions we hold.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:53 - May 14 with 4312 viewsTrequartista

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:44 - May 14 by jeera

I'm not sure it would have been Whitty letting planes land from India bringing the variants.

Nor is it the sole responsibility of any other party to tell the government what some people on a forum could already see in sleepy Suffolk.

The government make these decisions having more info at hand than you and I. We're not important mate - let those bodies pile high.

No i don't solely blame Whitty, he just annoyed me with that statement and his ingrained pessimism. Nevertheless he is the most informative and intelligent in the press conferences (not difficult today).

It's the Joint Biosecurity Centre that advise on these lists, whoever they may be.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:54 - May 14 with 4291 viewsSwansea_Blue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:45 - May 14 by NthQldITFC

Does a red list really work though? Is the managed hotel quarantine enforced? What about people or entire flights who may have been in close contact with people from red list countries in transit? Would it be feasible to have an enforced 10 day quarantine for ALL arrivees into the UK, and what sort of numbers could we handle in that scenario, resulting in what sort of percentage cut on current travel rates?

It sounds serious, so that's all that matters apparently. I think you have to book a quarantine hotel package now if you're coming back to the UK. Presumably you need a booking reference or something like it to enter the country. Whether they they then check if you actually go to the hotel, I don't know. I suspect the hotel reports back if you don't turn up. I don't know much about it (as you can tell) but it sounds a big improvement over the voluntary approach we took for the first year.

We've been costing them into jobs and it's fairly expensive, about £1,750. No doubt someone will be making a few bob out it it. There are exempted professions though.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:55 - May 14 with 4288 viewsMullet

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:51 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

No Blue Badger, not at all. Your constant tirade towards a government that is far from perfect, along with so many others on here, does nothing but push more voters towards them.
Any government needs a strong opposition - all we have at the moment is thousands of Captain Hindsights, thousands of those so far left they are in danger of falling off their pedestals and thousands of folk with no alternate medicine/policies/ideas at all.
I, for the best part of 65 years was a left of centre voter - it is the likes of you, that convinces the likes of me to have no truck with the left until some semblance of common sense is restored.
Posts like the one you have made is music to the ears of those you wish to defeat...
I remember the days when a crisis such as covid would have resulted in parties uniting and working together - you and your ilk are doing more damage to the left than you realise.
This Indian variant is troublesome, and needs us all pulling together to defeat it. Thank goodness the majority of folk on these islands understand that, whatever political persuasions we hold.

The kind of people pushed towards the Tories because of the blood on their hands are scum anyway aren’t they? At least be honest and tell yourself and the rest of us it’s pure selfishness and acceptance of their “far from perfect” criminality

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:56 - May 14 with 4285 viewsBlueBadger

You'd think that if you're going to vote for the party of Free Speech and Personal Responsibility you could a)actually own your decisions and b)not start crying every time they point out that the people they're defending are actually corrupt, bigoted, incompetent sociopaths.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 18:58]

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:57 - May 14 with 4244 viewsTrequartista

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:45 - May 14 by NthQldITFC

You're quite right, a red list is by no means a perfect solution. You cannot totally prevent the variant getting in. We would just have much lower levels and a better chance for the vaccine to get ahead.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:00 - May 14 with 4199 viewsSwansea_Blue

Don't be daft. They've been screwing up and people have every right to be critical. Each time they've dallied in their decision making like this it's been shown to have resulted in about another 20-30k uneccessary deaths.

Yes the opposition have been poor, but the blame for the failures and corruption lies solely at the door of the perpertraitors.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:02 - May 14 with 4167 viewsBlueBadger

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:53 - May 14 by Trequartista

No i don't solely blame Whitty, he just annoyed me with that statement and his ingrained pessimism. Nevertheless he is the most informative and intelligent in the press conferences (not difficult today).

It's the Joint Biosecurity Centre that advise on these lists, whoever they may be.

Pessimism is the default state of most clinicians. It means that we get to be pleasantly surprised a lot.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:02 - May 14 with 4171 viewsTrequartista

The BBC have some more info.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56801288

Spoiler alert : The question in the title of the article is not answered.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:06 - May 14 with 4132 viewsjeera

"does nothing but push more voters towards them."

= You made me do it - I'm not responsible for my own actions.

"Look what you made me do". That's called projection.

Captain Hindsight? For a 'new' poster you hold a lot of opinions on other people, most of which are so wrong it's awkward. There's no hindsight about it.

If you don't know what you're talking about then stop guessing all the time. And stop assuming that because you don't know something that no one else does either.

Most people with half a brain have been saying the same things for years now. If you're too stupid to listen the that's on you, not everyone else pal.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:11 - May 14 with 4098 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:56 - May 14 by BlueBadger

You'd think that if you're going to vote for the party of Free Speech and Personal Responsibility you could a)actually own your decisions and b)not start crying every time they point out that the people they're defending are actually corrupt, bigoted, incompetent sociopaths.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 18:58]

It is not necessarily BB that you point it out consistently, it is your cowardly name calling and actual belief that you are the pillar of society that we should all look up to; in reality you and your like are turning thousands away from the party that loads of us have supported for years.: but then you would never listen to the millions of us that have stopped voting labour would you. Remember I have a very long list of your continual cowardly name calling of us that think different to you regarding the current political landscape.
You need to get out more and speak/listen/mix with real folk with real aspirations and ambitions instead of making out that we are all second rate citizens if we do not follow The Badger Way.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:15 - May 14 with 4076 viewsSomethingBlue

They will get away with it though because around half of a pliant, increasingly dumb, hopelessly gaslit nation lap up anything they do.

If the Indian variant disrupts the roadmap in any way, Johnson should resign.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 19:17]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:16 - May 14 with 4059 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:06 - May 14 by jeera

"does nothing but push more voters towards them."

= You made me do it - I'm not responsible for my own actions.

"Look what you made me do". That's called projection.

Captain Hindsight? For a 'new' poster you hold a lot of opinions on other people, most of which are so wrong it's awkward. There's no hindsight about it.

If you don't know what you're talking about then stop guessing all the time. And stop assuming that because you don't know something that no one else does either.

Most people with half a brain have been saying the same things for years now. If you're too stupid to listen the that's on you, not everyone else pal.

Ah, the old new poster jibe! - I am well aware that you folk that have been here since God was a boy consider yourselves better in every way than us newcomers on here!

I wonder if you have read the survey that discusses those who spend more than ten hours a week on social media -
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:16 - May 14 with 4053 viewsm14_blue

I was going to make a joke about ‘Captain Hindsight’ but, unbelievably, someone has used it unironically.

This whole thread is about the complete, literal, opposite of hindsight.

You’ve been groomed by Boris and his friends in the media, repeating his nonsensical sound bites.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:17 - May 14 with 4055 viewsXYZ

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:11 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

It is not necessarily BB that you point it out consistently, it is your cowardly name calling and actual belief that you are the pillar of society that we should all look up to; in reality you and your like are turning thousands away from the party that loads of us have supported for years.: but then you would never listen to the millions of us that have stopped voting labour would you. Remember I have a very long list of your continual cowardly name calling of us that think different to you regarding the current political landscape.
You need to get out more and speak/listen/mix with real folk with real aspirations and ambitions instead of making out that we are all second rate citizens if we do not follow The Badger Way.

Are you a stalker?

You got so angry with a nurse talking that you stopped voting Labour?

You come across as a bit of a weirdo.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:19 - May 14 with 4019 viewssolomon

Yes the government is far from perfect, but it’s also far from competent, which should be a major concern to everyone.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:19 - May 14 with 4015 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:11 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

I'm not interested in your spat with Badger.

What I would like to understand, though, is how a self-proclaimed one time left-leaning person ends up voting for the Conservatives at any level. I get you don't like what you think the Labour party has become but what reasons could a person with such a history have to vote for the Tories?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024