Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Honest question... 12:26 - May 15 with 2896 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Looking at Cook's record at previous clubs. He does do this blow everything up and start again approach. And it's got HIM success.

But long term has it benefited the clubs? None of them are tearing it up in the Prem are they? And after he's moved on they are more or less just pootling along where they were.

I wonder when you rip the heart and soul of out of a club as well as the parts of it that need to go and replace it with a group of entirely new players, how that works when Cook moves on. He doesn't appeared to have hung around at any club that long. 5 years at most. I doubt he sees us as his forever club, more of a stepping stone to better things.

Will we be back in League one? Or the wrong end of the championship? He seems to have brought bursts of real short term success, but nothing sustainable. Interesting to see how it pans out.

[Post edited 15 May 2021 12:27]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Honest question... on 12:28 - May 15 with 2478 viewsWD19

If we are a stepping stone for Cook then it is unlikely that we will still be in League One. At the very least we would be safe in the Championship for anyone to look at him and think he has done a good job and is worth poaching from us.
Honest question... on 12:34 - May 15 with 2452 viewsCopfordBlue

He isn’t ripping the heart and soul out of our club, that was done slowly throughout Evans’s time as owner. We need a heart and soul put back into it and hopefully that’s what Cook will do.
[Post edited 15 May 2021 12:34]

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Honest question... on 12:35 - May 15 with 2441 viewsrgp1

I think it's fair to say that very few managers have longevity these days. Given Cooks previous we know he can manage at champ level. Not my choice but hes going to be here so lets buckle up for the ride!
Honest question... on 12:38 - May 15 with 2417 viewsGuthrum

I'm not sure whether the people who run the club see Cook that way, either. I think they're primarily looking to him to get us up into the Championship and re-established there.

If, once there, he can get us challenging for promotion, then the project continues. If things stagnate, they are likely to consider a change.

In modern football, a manager is seen as much a tool for success as players are. The "long-term custodian" thing barely exists any more. Indeed, people like Robson and Burley only lasted as long as they did at ITFC because of the consistent level of success their teams were achieving.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Honest question... on 12:40 - May 15 with 2405 viewsKeaneish

The club had no heart and soul, that’s the point.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Honest question... on 12:40 - May 15 with 2406 viewsGuthrum

Moreover, his stint at Wigan was prematurely truncated and the aftermath more defined by the club's financial collapse than anything he did.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Honest question... on 12:42 - May 15 with 2396 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Honest question... on 12:38 - May 15 by Guthrum

I'm not sure whether the people who run the club see Cook that way, either. I think they're primarily looking to him to get us up into the Championship and re-established there.

If, once there, he can get us challenging for promotion, then the project continues. If things stagnate, they are likely to consider a change.

In modern football, a manager is seen as much a tool for success as players are. The "long-term custodian" thing barely exists any more. Indeed, people like Robson and Burley only lasted as long as they did at ITFC because of the consistent level of success their teams were achieving.

I agree with you.

But (and I accept that this isn't the way anymore) I think that kind of stability is what I really long for. I'd take moderate sustainable success over a fireworks display of success.

Honest question... on 12:50 - May 15 with 2347 viewsKropotkin123

He won the league with Sligo and they were in a good enough position to win the FA Cup the year after he left. They finished 4th in the top division last year.

Chesterfield got promoted to League One and were in the league thereafter for 3 years. Not sure you can link the downward trajectory on him.

He took Portsmouth to League One from League Two. They've been stable in here since, often competing at the top end of the table.

He got Wigan promoted and they were in a position to survive in League one, until they were screwed over by their owners, so hardly on him.

To blame Chesterfield on him or to take that as the norm and project that into no long-term benefit is silly.
[Post edited 15 May 2021 12:52]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

Honest question... on 12:50 - May 15 with 2344 viewsleitrimblue

Not sure the fact that Chesterfield, Accrington Stanley or Wigan aren't 'tearing it up in the prem' can be us as a stick to beat Cook. Left them all in a much better situation then he found um
Honest question... on 12:51 - May 15 with 2344 viewsDyland

MarkyP!

The fans and community and history are the heart and soul of a football club. Evans has accidentally done a quite spectacular job not getting that, and every manager has connected poorly with ITFC in some shape or form. Even McCarthy who was the only remotely successful one.

ITFC and its soul will remain intact, and it is far stronger than people seem to think. Far too much anxiety and concern being vented on here, imo. I'm keeping an open mind to Cook and the current seismic changes and will judge it in October. Either way, our club, its heart and soul, will always remain. Unless we go bust of course, but Cook is irrelevant to that.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Honest question... on 12:52 - May 15 with 2322 viewspointofblue

To out it bluntly, couldn’t you say the same for Mick McCarthy?

In Cook’s defence he’s left most of his clubs whilst they were on the up and he was poached. Wigan would have gone from League One to a mid table Championship side had it not been for the points deduction. We’re the first club to hire him whilst he was available since Sligo Rovers; every other time he’s been poached, as it were.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Honest question... on 12:53 - May 15 with 2317 viewsChurchman

Honest question... on 12:34 - May 15 by CopfordBlue

He isn’t ripping the heart and soul out of our club, that was done slowly throughout Evans’s time as owner. We need a heart and soul put back into it and hopefully that’s what Cook will do.
[Post edited 15 May 2021 12:34]

Spot on. That sad process of tearing the heart and soul out of the club to some extent pre dates ME, but he was the one that well and truly took a hatchet to it. Chambers hints at it and quit frankly it’s been obvious for years.

I hope the football club returns to being a happy place and the first step is to put some structure into it. This seems to be being done. From that, everything should fall into place. I’m not expecting the reputation of the Cobbold years, just something better and definitely more professional and progressive than the disgraceful shambles of the past 14 years.
Honest question... on 12:56 - May 15 with 2294 viewsleitrimblue

Honest question... on 12:50 - May 15 by Kropotkin123

He won the league with Sligo and they were in a good enough position to win the FA Cup the year after he left. They finished 4th in the top division last year.

Chesterfield got promoted to League One and were in the league thereafter for 3 years. Not sure you can link the downward trajectory on him.

He took Portsmouth to League One from League Two. They've been stable in here since, often competing at the top end of the table.

He got Wigan promoted and they were in a position to survive in League one, until they were screwed over by their owners, so hardly on him.

To blame Chesterfield on him or to take that as the norm and project that into no long-term benefit is silly.
[Post edited 15 May 2021 12:52]

Impressive attempt at Sligo Rovers knowledge Kropot
Honest question... on 13:03 - May 15 with 2226 viewsKropotkin123

Honest question... on 12:56 - May 15 by leitrimblue

Impressive attempt at Sligo Rovers knowledge Kropot

Haha, I knew he did well, but I looked it all up on the spot.

Part of the problem with many opinions flying about atm (and this isn't aimed specifically at the OP) is people start with what they want to say and don't look to see if the facts support that opinion.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Honest question... on 13:10 - May 15 with 2194 viewsleitrimblue

Honest question... on 13:03 - May 15 by Kropotkin123

Haha, I knew he did well, but I looked it all up on the spot.

Part of the problem with many opinions flying about atm (and this isn't aimed specifically at the OP) is people start with what they want to say and don't look to see if the facts support that opinion.

He did an amazing job at Sligo. He is probably still the most popular person associated with football in the North West of Ireland.
Honest question... on 13:30 - May 15 with 2092 viewsCaptMickMills

Interesting reflection.

I had similar thoughts though fall at Wigan more to do with external factors.

However would settle for even short term success after last few years.
Honest question... on 13:31 - May 15 with 2088 viewsstonojnr

for me thats a problem with modern football in general, not necessarily a Cook thing, just like players, managers now owe no allegiance to a clubs future, fair enough its a two way thing clubs owe no allegiance to managers or players either, but theres less time to worry about the long term impact of decisions they are making, which might result in them taking riskier decisions that are ultimately bad long term, even if the short term outcome is good.

Cooks approach will either work, even if its just briefly, or misfire horribly, either way chances are he wont be here in 5 years anyway.

the average term at a championship club for a manager was hovering around a year, Farke is now in the top 10 of longest serving managers in the EFL at 4 years, Cook is 59th...out of 72 clubs after only 2months in the job.
Honest question... on 13:34 - May 15 with 2069 viewshave_a_word_with_him

What a weird post, you're already thinking ahead to when Cook leaves? Does the sky look black to you as well with that outlook on life?
Honest question... on 13:37 - May 15 with 2052 viewsfooters

Christ it's going to be a long off season.

Some of y'all need to put on your big boy pants and stop the whinging.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Honest question... on 14:35 - May 15 with 1885 viewsSharkey

Honest question... on 13:10 - May 15 by leitrimblue

He did an amazing job at Sligo. He is probably still the most popular person associated with football in the North West of Ireland.

Wouldn’t that be Seamus Coleman?
Honest question... on 14:41 - May 15 with 1867 viewsEwan_Oozami

Honest question... on 12:42 - May 15 by OriginalMarkyP

I agree with you.

But (and I accept that this isn't the way anymore) I think that kind of stability is what I really long for. I'd take moderate sustainable success over a fireworks display of success.

The sort of stability we had under Mick you mean?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Honest question... on 14:50 - May 15 with 1820 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Honest question... on 14:41 - May 15 by Ewan_Oozami

The sort of stability we had under Mick you mean?

No. I go alot further back than Mick I'm afraid.

Honest question... on 14:59 - May 15 with 1793 viewsleitrimblue

Honest question... on 14:35 - May 15 by Sharkey

Wouldn’t that be Seamus Coleman?

He's very big in ballybofey. To be honest he is very popular but left here very early in his career. Still puts his own money into Sligo whenever they in trouble. (Usually every year or 2)
Honest question... on 15:23 - May 15 with 1725 viewsBlueBadger

Honest question... on 13:37 - May 15 by footers

Christ it's going to be a long off season.

Some of y'all need to put on your big boy pants and stop the whinging.

i blame Makin for this. He's made the step up from News Comments fairly easily. So they all think it is.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Honest question... on 16:10 - May 15 with 1637 viewsJ2BLUE

The forum is hilarious.

What we're seeing now is a bigger version of when Cornell showed a bit of passion when saving a penalty and suddenly people were calling for him to be captain.

A couple of interviews from admittedly good club servants and suddenly we're tearing the heart and soul out of the club. It's laughable.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024