Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dozzell not good enough for us apparently 19:39 - May 15 with 9182 viewsreusersfreekicks

but 3 championship clubs seem to think he is good enough for them.
What do they know?
Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 09:59 - May 16 with 1680 viewsjayessess

I do wonder what the new recruitment people make of it. Because if Brentford are interested, we know how their recruitment works. They won't have just sent a scout to take vague notes, they'll presumably be analysing the same data our lot are?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 10:15 - May 16 with 1643 viewsstrikalite

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 09:59 - May 16 by jayessess

I do wonder what the new recruitment people make of it. Because if Brentford are interested, we know how their recruitment works. They won't have just sent a scout to take vague notes, they'll presumably be analysing the same data our lot are?

I think he needs to move on for himself for a fresh start as much as anything, has a good touch and a good passer of the ball, not convinced that's enough, doesn't have great pace so it might be that he peaks at 27/28 as a DF with experience under his belt..
Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 10:25 - May 16 with 1627 viewsjayessess

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 10:15 - May 16 by strikalite

I think he needs to move on for himself for a fresh start as much as anything, has a good touch and a good passer of the ball, not convinced that's enough, doesn't have great pace so it might be that he peaks at 27/28 as a DF with experience under his belt..

Weren't our recruitment and squad planning supposed to be moving past this sort of impressionistic opinion though? In the glorious new era of data-driven recruitment we're just looking at the same numbers on a page that Brentford, QPR and Blackburn are looking at?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 15:30 - May 16 with 1559 viewsblaggers

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 00:28 - May 16 by jeera

He's lazy? Ok.

I haven't watched enough this season to argue so can't comment too much personally.

Can you offer a few examples because that is a term that tends to get, quite lazily, thrown about a bit.

Doesn't mean you're wrong of course, just asking.

To be fair I could have made lowlight reels of a few of our players. In my opinion he is languid, slow, not great at tracking runners, not physical enough in the tackle, poor in the air, and if, as one of the other posters has mentioned, he's been playing as a defensive/holding midfielder, then that hasn't been successful either. Other than that he's been great.

Poll: What happens next?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 15:38 - May 16 with 1555 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I don't think it's about abilty. It's about fit. It's about clearing out a mentality thats been been allowed to exist for too long.

Players may do well elsewhere but that doesn't mean it's wrong to move them on from an environment where they have become too comfortable

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 15:42 - May 16 with 1548 viewsMullet

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 23:38 - May 15 by Kropotkin123

It's a good rant, I agree with a lot of it.

It’s taking the most extreme views possible and presenting them as a consensus. Even worse a consensus that has to be at polar opposites.

It’s like a Daily Mail opinion piece sans racism and uncomfortable leering at young women innit.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 16:29 - May 16 with 1480 viewspositivity

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 10:25 - May 16 by jayessess

Weren't our recruitment and squad planning supposed to be moving past this sort of impressionistic opinion though? In the glorious new era of data-driven recruitment we're just looking at the same numbers on a page that Brentford, QPR and Blackburn are looking at?

they may be looking at the same data, but they're operating under different rules (re: salary caps etc) and the different leagues have different needs.

doz may be seen as a luxury in league one, but less so in the championship.

in an ideal world, we'd send him out on loan, but i can't see the championship team agreeing to that (plus the transfer fee will be useful to increasing our turnover)!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 16:39 - May 16 with 1449 viewsMullet

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 16:29 - May 16 by positivity

they may be looking at the same data, but they're operating under different rules (re: salary caps etc) and the different leagues have different needs.

doz may be seen as a luxury in league one, but less so in the championship.

in an ideal world, we'd send him out on loan, but i can't see the championship team agreeing to that (plus the transfer fee will be useful to increasing our turnover)!

I just hope it’s massive and so is the sell on

Login to get fewer ads

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 16:40 - May 16 with 1449 viewsKeaneish

They know it’s a cheap investment on someone who has fantastic potential. It’s a simple decision from their end. From our end, we need proven ability to get out of this division and to challenge for a Championship title; potential alone isn’t enough to fulfil that. Dozzell may become a victim of circumstance but it could be argued, he hasn’t really taken his opportunity to make a strong case to stay.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 16:43 - May 16 with 1440 viewsStrimmer

Just on the point that Dozzell doesn't do enough defensively, this has certainly been true this year. BUT I have noticed that he has put in *some* excellent thumping tackles, intercepted passes and so on.

His notable mistakes, eg not closing down Twine against Swindon being a classic of the genre, seem to me to come from a lack of awareness (instinct?) of the position's responsibilities

What I'm saying I think this is an element to his game that could well be coached in to him by the right person.

This is not necessarily a comment on whether he should be kept or allowed to go.

Poll: Was it a punch?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 17:42 - May 16 with 1378 viewsVic

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 23:28 - May 15 by Churchman

It looks like you and a high percentage of people are questioning Cooks every action because you want him out and look for any angle to prove the point. He’s been here 2 months. He inherited a shambles that couldn’t get close to beating relegated Swindon at home. These were not his players. They weren’t even fit. A number certainly weren’t interested.

For the first time ever, a prospective coach’s qualifications are scrutinised as if the people scrutinising have a clue what they do, apart from bibs, cones and shout a lot. There was I thinking that a new manager brings his own people and who cares if it’s Mickey Mouse or Klopp - the buck stops with him to get results. Clearly not.

Hammered over how Chambers was told time was up. None of us was there and regardless if it was 1 min or 2 hours I can tell you there’s no easy way to do it. Cook is Hurst mk2 even though the situation is totally different as is their track record. Why? Because he’s happy to see the back of players who’ve struggled in the old 3rd division and were run ragged by Wimbledon?

Most wanted change, but did people really? Saviour Evans or the foreign ‘debt peddlers’. Maybe people prefer the slow suffocation under Evans.

Then we’ve had ‘the Ipswich way’. Yeah, right, so the Ipswich way is to give the bloke 2 months. Actually, for some one month was enough. There was a time when Ipswich supporters were relatively quiet (see Robson’s zombies back in the day), but were reasonably patient. Clearly those days are over.

I hoped he would help get us to the play offs. But from his first game at Gillingham the players opted out. I’ve always thought give the bloke a chance to do what he does, let him get on with it and see where we are in the autumn. Not going to happen.

You’ve read me wrong Churchy. I totally don’t want him out - check my reckon, never once intimated it. I totally think he should be given time to work this through.

That said I think it’s legitimate to wonder at the wisdom of his way of doing things, if they are as reported by several different sources. I’m ok with his dismantling of the team, though surprised and a bit disappointed that he doesn’t seem to think that any of them are really worth keeping.

Agreeing that the playing squad and coaching staff need a complete overhaul doesn’t mean that I agree with the way he did it. He talked about class and doing things the right way, for me (if reports are to be believed) I don’t think he has shown a lot of class in the way he’s handled the situation. Chambers as captain deserved a little more time and respect than it appears he got, even though I th8nk his exit video revealed that his standards were actually pretty low. (Check out my comments - I for one am not very impressed that he thought getting young players to clear up crumbs in the canteen was very important when the team on the pitch was going down the pan. Manners don’t get points in the league!)

Yes I really did and do want change - but there’s a way to do it. I don’t think Cook as done it the right way at times. I have never once said anything about ‘the Ipswich way’. If we aspire to be a top club those matey days are gone - we need to be a lot more savvy and street wise.

So please, before you go off one one, at least choose the right target! I’m not saying he should go, or anything like that. All I’m saying is that the way he was totally unable to get anything from the players was disappointing to me and not what I expected from a manger of his experience; saying he wouldn’t criticize the players - but the next breath doing exactly that and then after his talk about being classy and then hearing the way he handled things - all have left him with much less credit in the bank than he had before.

That’s a million miles away from saying I want him out! I have no doubt that he’ll assemble a better team than the one he got rid of and we’ll have a better season.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 17:47 - May 16 with 1368 viewsVic

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 08:20 - May 16 by OsborneOneNil

Cracking rant, and pretty much spot on, sir.

Would be ok if he hadn’t totally got me wrong!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 19:07 - May 16 with 1314 viewsArnieM

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 23:52 - May 15 by blaggers

Bang on. If Dozzell, Bishop, Edwards are that good, they'd have contributed far more in terms of goals and assists. Dozzell is a tidy player, but at present that's it. IMO he's lazy when we're not in possession. 2 goals is a dreadful return for an attacking midfielder. 1 assist all season, but 10 yellows and a red card. Let's not get precious about someone who statistically contributes jack to the team.

Spot on.

People on here blabbing about Dozzell, clealry don’t see that he has failed to deliver ever since he had that AcL injury. And tbh he’s lived off his fathers name. Making the odd good pass in 90 mins isn’t eneough. He’s not good enough t9 even get us out of League One FfS .... he’ll sign for a championship side or maybe a PL but I’ll wager he doesn’t last the course. As some allude to he’s technically good in parts , but there’s so much ore to his game that is simply bang average.

Out of all the “ young” players being bed wetted over on here , only Downes potentially has the real class.

We kid ourselves that these “ young “ players are exceptional They are not. But compared to where this Club has fallen to, they appear very good. But in all honesty , look at what we are comparing them too! With the POSSIBLE exception of Downes, NONE of these “ young” players will be anything more than squad players at other Clubs. But if Ashton can get a fee for any of them, then great, move in. We need better . Part of that re build is to get us out of this division, ( these “ young” players weren’t up to the task), then once we are back in the championship, we build or add to the squad again with yet better players. It may well take 2 more seasons to get promoted. A whole new squad will do exceptionally well to hit the ground running and strike up understanding amongst themselves in the team.

But of course I suspect quite a few on here will be expecting HMS PIss the League to happen.

.........And as for those on here wanting Cook out, FFS , get a grip of yourself .

Open your bloody eyes and SEE the real state this Club has gotten itself into under Evans.

Finally, we are about to rebuild. It takes time, and patience . But I suspect the bed setters on here will be calling for the heads of the new players if we are 10 points clear after 12 games, and slagging off the US owners, in good old Ipswich Town fanbase tradition. It’s truly pathetic.

Support the Club, the manager, the owners, the players in the decisions they make ...they are doing what they feel, in their experienced, experts opinion, is the right course of action.

.........Are you with this Club, Cook, and the players or against them? .........

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 19:57 - May 16 with 1254 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 23:28 - May 15 by Churchman

It looks like you and a high percentage of people are questioning Cooks every action because you want him out and look for any angle to prove the point. He’s been here 2 months. He inherited a shambles that couldn’t get close to beating relegated Swindon at home. These were not his players. They weren’t even fit. A number certainly weren’t interested.

For the first time ever, a prospective coach’s qualifications are scrutinised as if the people scrutinising have a clue what they do, apart from bibs, cones and shout a lot. There was I thinking that a new manager brings his own people and who cares if it’s Mickey Mouse or Klopp - the buck stops with him to get results. Clearly not.

Hammered over how Chambers was told time was up. None of us was there and regardless if it was 1 min or 2 hours I can tell you there’s no easy way to do it. Cook is Hurst mk2 even though the situation is totally different as is their track record. Why? Because he’s happy to see the back of players who’ve struggled in the old 3rd division and were run ragged by Wimbledon?

Most wanted change, but did people really? Saviour Evans or the foreign ‘debt peddlers’. Maybe people prefer the slow suffocation under Evans.

Then we’ve had ‘the Ipswich way’. Yeah, right, so the Ipswich way is to give the bloke 2 months. Actually, for some one month was enough. There was a time when Ipswich supporters were relatively quiet (see Robson’s zombies back in the day), but were reasonably patient. Clearly those days are over.

I hoped he would help get us to the play offs. But from his first game at Gillingham the players opted out. I’ve always thought give the bloke a chance to do what he does, let him get on with it and see where we are in the autumn. Not going to happen.

Bang on ! What a top post !

People were told there'd be radical changes.

As you say this lot were run ragged by Wimbledon or Northampton, couldn't impose their authority against the likes of Rochdale, Wigan, MK Dons.

Some people have a cheek to slate a football manager who himself has won THREE promotions. They slate him because he's told a few young(ish) players to go. Again these players have had enough time to impress him and failed to do so.
[Post edited 16 May 2021 19:59]
Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 20:03 - May 16 with 1241 viewsITFCBlues

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 16:39 - May 16 by Mullet

I just hope it’s massive and so is the sell on

There needs to be a reality check here. Playing the odd nice pass and then drifting for the rest of the game isn't going to cut it. Defensivley he's way off the level he needs to be at. He's had 1 assist all season and zero goals and he's meant to be dictating our play? He's just not been consistent enough for whatever reason. Yes that maybe down to how we've played, but for a player who's being talked about as if he's a cut above, those stats just don't cut it.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 20:03 - May 16 with 1240 viewsMullet

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 19:57 - May 16 by Mach_foreignBlue

Bang on ! What a top post !

People were told there'd be radical changes.

As you say this lot were run ragged by Wimbledon or Northampton, couldn't impose their authority against the likes of Rochdale, Wigan, MK Dons.

Some people have a cheek to slate a football manager who himself has won THREE promotions. They slate him because he's told a few young(ish) players to go. Again these players have had enough time to impress him and failed to do so.
[Post edited 16 May 2021 19:59]

If only they'd realised that in the Championship.

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 20:05 - May 16 with 1236 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 20:03 - May 16 by Mullet

If only they'd realised that in the Championship.

Time will tell. No-one knows that at the moment. If they improve their attitude that will certainly help them out.
Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 20:20 - May 16 with 1213 viewsMerseyBlue

Doesn't it make more sense that Cook has simply said to everyone that they can go... but only if the price is right. So yeah, Bishop, Dozzell, Downes, Woolfy, Dobra, Norwood etc. are Town players at the moment, but the club is prepared to start the season with or without them.

With the way the new owners have been talking, my interpretation is that we won't sell unless we're happy with the value. If we get an offer that is acceptable, then we will make moves for other players further down the shopping list.

That's not to say that because they are further down the shopping list, therefore they are worse players, just that, as things stand they aren't priorities.

In short, I'm not worried and I don't think anybody else should be. Let's wait and see before we start panicking.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 20:39 - May 16 with 1183 viewsJ2BLUE

I think people need to calm down. Dozzell remains an Ipswich player and as far as I know there's been no official confirmation he would be let go. Even if Cook told him he can go there are two extremes like:

"You can go, I want my own squad, look for another club"

and

"I'd love you to stay and be part of my squad but I recognise you have a career to build and you've been good for me so if we get an acceptable offer I won't stand in your way but i'd be thrilled if you stayed"

There are also countless possibilities between the two.

We certainly won't be a weaker squad if he stays and if he goes I assume we'll get a really decent fee so let's wait and see.

Hopefully we'll add some real quality and he'll get one more season to gra this league by the throat in a good team.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 21:22 - May 16 with 1129 viewsMeadowlark

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 20:09 - May 15 by xrayspecs

I think there is a good player in there but is he what we need next season to get out of this league? He is one of the few who have got better this season and at times made an impact on games, he does though remain easier on the eye than someone who creates/scores.

He may do well in a higher division where there is greater emphasis on technique.

Yes. Surrounded by better players than currently.
I have said it on here previously. He looks so bad sometimes because he's played the right ball/made the right run, but the rest of the team isn't quite as good as he is.
He would be very good in the PL.
Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 13:28 - May 18 with 983 viewsjayessess

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 21:22 - May 16 by Meadowlark

Yes. Surrounded by better players than currently.
I have said it on here previously. He looks so bad sometimes because he's played the right ball/made the right run, but the rest of the team isn't quite as good as he is.
He would be very good in the PL.

Saw this graphic on Twitter, which bears out some of the impressionistic stuff about better team mates and ability to move the ball forward, as well as his shortcomings as a defensive midfielder:

[Post edited 18 May 2021 13:31]

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 15:58 - May 18 with 848 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 13:28 - May 18 by jayessess

Saw this graphic on Twitter, which bears out some of the impressionistic stuff about better team mates and ability to move the ball forward, as well as his shortcomings as a defensive midfielder:

[Post edited 18 May 2021 13:31]

Expected assists looks way higher than the reality, unless I'm reading that wrong.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 15:59 - May 18 with 845 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 20:39 - May 16 by J2BLUE

I think people need to calm down. Dozzell remains an Ipswich player and as far as I know there's been no official confirmation he would be let go. Even if Cook told him he can go there are two extremes like:

"You can go, I want my own squad, look for another club"

and

"I'd love you to stay and be part of my squad but I recognise you have a career to build and you've been good for me so if we get an acceptable offer I won't stand in your way but i'd be thrilled if you stayed"

There are also countless possibilities between the two.

We certainly won't be a weaker squad if he stays and if he goes I assume we'll get a really decent fee so let's wait and see.

Hopefully we'll add some real quality and he'll get one more season to gra this league by the throat in a good team.

Indeed, and if it had been the former I imagine we'd have heard from Dozzell Snr in the press about it.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 16:00 - May 18 with 841 viewsDanTheMan

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 15:58 - May 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Expected assists looks way higher than the reality, unless I'm reading that wrong.

Well assists rather relies on strikers and others doing their jobs.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 16:09 - May 18 with 818 viewsjayessess

Dozzell not good enough for us apparently on 15:58 - May 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah, he's created way more than people have finished off, according to his xA. His play should have led to 5 or 6 assists over the course of the season, and generally players overshoot their xA apparently.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024