Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is anything short of promotion... 09:04 - May 16 with 2826 viewsOriginalMarkyP

... failure next season?

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:06 - May 16 with 1857 viewsfooters

Have a day off, mate.

Talking tripe for the last week must have tired you out

X

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:09 - May 16 with 1832 viewsMetal_Hacker

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:06 - May 16 by footers

Have a day off, mate.

X

Read my mind. This is all getting ever so slightly tedious

Roll on bl00dy August jeeeez

Poll: If it were one or the other

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:12 - May 16 with 1807 viewsGuthrum

It was failure in the season just gone and the one before, so yes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:16 - May 16 with 1778 viewsOldboy

Yes. Top 2 or a winning day at Wembley.
Is anything short of promotion... on 09:22 - May 16 with 1747 viewsITFC_Forever

Yes, same as any season in L1.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:24 - May 16 with 1738 views26_Paz

I would have thought the objective would be promotion. Play offs at a bare minimum.

The Paz Man

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:32 - May 16 with 1692 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Have a day off, mate.

X

Actually for me I'd be satisfied with a dramatic improvement in the tempo and will to win. Plus the sense the team are having a real go. If we miss out but play like that throughout the season it's OK. I think no promotion by year 2 proper of new era is genuine failure. But you go ahead and make your assumptions its all good.

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:34 - May 16 with 1644 viewspointofblue

Yes.

We’ve got the finance, the manager with experience of promotion from this division and an overhaul. There’s no room for excuses if we’re not promoted in May.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:35 - May 16 with 1626 viewsStokieBlue

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:32 - May 16 by OriginalMarkyP

Actually for me I'd be satisfied with a dramatic improvement in the tempo and will to win. Plus the sense the team are having a real go. If we miss out but play like that throughout the season it's OK. I think no promotion by year 2 proper of new era is genuine failure. But you go ahead and make your assumptions its all good.

That's because it's not your money being spent.

If it was your money I suspect you'd see anything except promotion as a failure.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:46 - May 16 with 1595 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:35 - May 16 by StokieBlue

That's because it's not your money being spent.

If it was your money I suspect you'd see anything except promotion as a failure.

SB

But I wasn't asking Gamechanger. I was asking the messageboard. Unless you've got a few million in the game Stokie?

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:49 - May 16 with 1553 viewsStokieBlue

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:46 - May 16 by OriginalMarkyP

But I wasn't asking Gamechanger. I was asking the messageboard. Unless you've got a few million in the game Stokie?

"Is anything short of promotion...

... failure next season?

You were asking in the general case, there is no context in there that you have now decided to add.

So my post was fine, you are just skipping around because my answer doesn't agree with your answer which comes from the realms of fantasy and is devoid of context. If we are spending what is claimed then how can not getting promoted been seen as anything other than a failure?

SB
[Post edited 16 May 2021 9:52]

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:51 - May 16 with 1553 viewsBlueNomad

I just want to enjoy my football again. There are bigger things in the world to get stressed or angry about.
Is anything short of promotion... on 09:51 - May 16 with 1555 viewsitfcjoe

Pretty much - unless it’s something ridiculous like getting 85 points and missing out in the play offs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:58 - May 16 with 1502 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:49 - May 16 by StokieBlue

"Is anything short of promotion...

... failure next season?

You were asking in the general case, there is no context in there that you have now decided to add.

So my post was fine, you are just skipping around because my answer doesn't agree with your answer which comes from the realms of fantasy and is devoid of context. If we are spending what is claimed then how can not getting promoted been seen as anything other than a failure?

SB
[Post edited 16 May 2021 9:52]

Er...no.

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:59 - May 16 with 1497 viewspointofblue

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:51 - May 16 by itfcjoe

Pretty much - unless it’s something ridiculous like getting 85 points and missing out in the play offs

85 would have only been enough to get automatic promotion twice in the last ten seasons (three times if you include Rotherham’s PPG figure last year) so not sure if getting to that mark and only being the play offs would be seen as an unlucky. 90 might be a better benchmark.

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:03 - May 16 with 1477 viewspatrickswell

The last two seasons I’ve been targeting automatic promotion, but with the amount of churn we’re going to see this summer, I will set a target of top 6.

The overhaul is needed but it will take time to gel. Probably too much time for us to bag a top 2 spot.
Is anything short of promotion... on 10:07 - May 16 with 1445 viewsStokieBlue

Is anything short of promotion... on 09:58 - May 16 by OriginalMarkyP

Er...no.

An excellent response.

If you want precise answers you should pose precise questions. Everything I've said is correct.

SB

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:07 - May 16 with 1454 viewsjayessess

it's League 1, anything short of promotion is always failure

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:13 - May 16 with 1432 viewsBryanPlug

Have a day off, mate.

X

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:16 - May 16 with 1412 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:07 - May 16 by StokieBlue

An excellent response.

If you want precise answers you should pose precise questions. Everything I've said is correct.

SB

So I should have framed my question... 'So for you as mere fans (Ipswich Town fans in case you were confused) on a messageboard would anything other than promotion next season be seen as failure? And to be clear, on the off chance that anyone from Gamechanger is reading this I'm not asking you as you clearly have a separate set of goals and timelines as an investor, I'm asking the fans.)

I think everyone else responding sensibly probably shows that they kind of got it and didn't need to be spoon fed. But there you go, just for you.
[Post edited 16 May 2021 10:18]

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:19 - May 16 with 1392 viewspointofblue

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:03 - May 16 by patrickswell

The last two seasons I’ve been targeting automatic promotion, but with the amount of churn we’re going to see this summer, I will set a target of top 6.

The overhaul is needed but it will take time to gel. Probably too much time for us to bag a top 2 spot.

Could see a season like Blackpool’s - a sticky start and then something clicks.

Just looking at the first third of Cook’s regimes at Portsmouth and Wigan after his summer overhaul with both...

Portsmouth - P15 W7 D7 L1 F22 A12 PTS28

An excellent start for Portsmouth, with a record which would have gained them automatic promotion had it continued. Unfortunately, whilst only losing ten (better than 3rd place Bristol Rovers, they drew 15 which was more than any side in the top nine, resulting in a sixth place finish and defeat in the play offs. Bearing in mind Pompey finished 16th the year before, though, and would go up as champions the following year.

Wigan Athletic - P15 W11 D2 L2 F29 A9 PTS35

A much stronger start for Wigan than he had with Portsmouth and whilst, quite understandably, he couldn’t quite maintain that form across that season Wigan were promoted with ease, finishing on 98 points, eleven clear of third.

To put it bluntly, despite the amount of churn and change Cook certainly doesn’t do slow starts. Unlike us over the first two seasons his sides do not tend to tail off quite so dramatically either.

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:22 - May 16 with 1376 viewsStokieBlue

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:16 - May 16 by OriginalMarkyP

So I should have framed my question... 'So for you as mere fans (Ipswich Town fans in case you were confused) on a messageboard would anything other than promotion next season be seen as failure? And to be clear, on the off chance that anyone from Gamechanger is reading this I'm not asking you as you clearly have a separate set of goals and timelines as an investor, I'm asking the fans.)

I think everyone else responding sensibly probably shows that they kind of got it and didn't need to be spoon fed. But there you go, just for you.
[Post edited 16 May 2021 10:18]

For the club, not achieving promotion this year is a failure, the same as it was the previous two seasons only bigger. The outlay this close-season is all part of the context whether you like it or not. You can't just separate the realism of the situation from pretty football on the pitch, this isn't Championship Manager.

The fact that you don't think it would be a failure if we play a bit better is more a reflection on what you are happy with than the realism of the situation.

SB

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:24 - May 16 with 1371 viewsMullet

It's a failure every season we are here. Every game at this level is a failure for a club like ours. Should never have happened let alone been clapped and cheered on.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is anything short of promotion... on 10:25 - May 16 with 1365 viewsstrikalite

I'll take play offs right now, we're one of ten sides who will be hopeful next season, we'll need to build a Championship side to really stand out, a tough ask from where we are right now..

We live in hope...
Is anything short of promotion... on 10:26 - May 16 with 1352 viewsWD19

<20 goals for Norwood would be a massive. Massive personal failure for him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024