Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The case for making vaccines compulsory 09:40 - May 16 with 4377 viewsGlasgowBlue

“ The Bolton NHS Foundation Trust medical director said a majority of the sick patients had not been vaccinated but would have been eligible for the jabs”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-bolton-cases-coronavirus-vaccine

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 09:44 - May 16 with 2170 viewsKeno

The vaccine can protect against the virus but cant prevent stupid

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 09:52 - May 16 with 2108 viewsTractorWood

I thought one of the tests to release lockdown was that we were happy there wasn't a variant of concern circulating in the country?

Are the Tories doing that thing where they undermine their own policy because it's less embarrassing than making the obvious tough decision that has arisen from their lack of action in the first place?

Time to grab the popcorn and watch another slow motion Tory car crash I guess.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 09:54 - May 16 with 2091 viewstonybied

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 09:44 - May 16 by Keno

The vaccine can protect against the virus but cant prevent stupid

True, at least we'll probably reach herd immunity soon as those that don't take the vaccine will probably catch it sooner or later. The issue with that is the exposure to people who haven't had the opportunity to get vaccinated so far.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:03 - May 16 with 2052 viewspointofblue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 09:52 - May 16 by TractorWood

I thought one of the tests to release lockdown was that we were happy there wasn't a variant of concern circulating in the country?

Are the Tories doing that thing where they undermine their own policy because it's less embarrassing than making the obvious tough decision that has arisen from their lack of action in the first place?

I may be wrong but I think the SAGE advise at the moment is tomorrow’s changes should go ahead as planned but 21st June might have to be put back. And the government should be ready to hit reverse if numbers start to increase rapidly.

The problem is what should the government do if cases go up but hospitalisations and deaths don’t? The whole point of lockdowns is to ease pressure on the NHS but an increased number of cases increase the likelihood of further mutations.

I keep banging on about it but they should have never re-opened the borders and they should close them now.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:15 - May 16 with 2023 viewsTractorWood

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:03 - May 16 by pointofblue

I may be wrong but I think the SAGE advise at the moment is tomorrow’s changes should go ahead as planned but 21st June might have to be put back. And the government should be ready to hit reverse if numbers start to increase rapidly.

The problem is what should the government do if cases go up but hospitalisations and deaths don’t? The whole point of lockdowns is to ease pressure on the NHS but an increased number of cases increase the likelihood of further mutations.

I keep banging on about it but they should have never re-opened the borders and they should close them now.

Fair point on cases versus admissions.

The article I read seemed to imply a fortnight delay was wise but the PM is cracking on. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/15/johnson-must-think-again-on-plans-

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:16 - May 16 with 2010 viewsCheltenham_Blue

They also said an 'irreversible roadmap out of restrictions'. But it does make me concerned that they are not pausing tomorrows easing.

......awaits Sunday 7pm press conference......

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:25 - May 16 with 1966 viewspointofblue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:15 - May 16 by TractorWood

Fair point on cases versus admissions.

The article I read seemed to imply a fortnight delay was wise but the PM is cracking on. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/15/johnson-must-think-again-on-plans-

Bit of a confusing article as it seems to press home than tomorrow’s easing should be postponed but at the end of it suggests the evidence isn’t there to do so? Though surely at this stage precaution should be the number one priority, especially considering what happened on the run up to Christmas.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:29 - May 16 with 1960 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yeah. Plenty of threads on the stupidity of the Tories etc etc. This is about whether vaccines should be compulsory.

There will always be variants of concern. This virus isn't going away anytime soon. Unless you are happy living a virtual life in lockdown for the rest of your days then the only way out of this is the vaccine. It stops serious illness and hospitalisations.

So if those now overwhelming the hospitals in Bolton are of an age where they have been eligible for a vaccine but have decided to decline, should vaccines be compulsory?

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:35 - May 16 with 1935 viewsTractorWood

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:29 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah. Plenty of threads on the stupidity of the Tories etc etc. This is about whether vaccines should be compulsory.

There will always be variants of concern. This virus isn't going away anytime soon. Unless you are happy living a virtual life in lockdown for the rest of your days then the only way out of this is the vaccine. It stops serious illness and hospitalisations.

So if those now overwhelming the hospitals in Bolton are of an age where they have been eligible for a vaccine but have decided to decline, should vaccines be compulsory?

No.

We should understand the reasons people aren't taking it, educate and make it incredibly easy. If people still don't take it, they are making a conscious decision.

The problem at the moment is that there are still potentially vulnerable people who have not been offered the vaccine yet.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:38 - May 16 with 1927 viewsRyorry

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:29 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

"It stops serious illness and hospitalisations"

Whilst I agree with most of what you're saying, it's important to remember that's not so in 100% of cases, just the vast majority.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:26 - May 16 with 1820 viewsPinewoodblue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:35 - May 16 by TractorWood

No.

We should understand the reasons people aren't taking it, educate and make it incredibly easy. If people still don't take it, they are making a conscious decision.

The problem at the moment is that there are still potentially vulnerable people who have not been offered the vaccine yet.

Worth pointing out that while the majority of those admitted to hospital hadn’t been vaccinated, although eligible, the majority of confirmed cases in the community were people not yet eligible for the vaccine.

Also that new case numbers are highest in districts with the lowest take up on vaccine.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:27 - May 16 with 1819 viewsHighgateBlue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:35 - May 16 by TractorWood

No.

But their conscious decision allows them to pass the virus to others who may have made no such conscious decision.

Vaccines aren’t just like seatbelts (which are of course compulsory)- the consequences of one person’s decision are felt by more than just one person.

I would love to improve the situation by education, and I’m glad this country is so much better than many others for take up but I would leave the possibility of compulsory vaccines on the table.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:29 - May 16 with 1816 viewsSwansea_Blue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 09:54 - May 16 by tonybied

True, at least we'll probably reach herd immunity soon as those that don't take the vaccine will probably catch it sooner or later. The issue with that is the exposure to people who haven't had the opportunity to get vaccinated so far.

And the other problem of course is the burden on frontline NHS. The poor sods have had a bad enough 14+ months. The last thing they need is to be looking after morons who could have avoided being there.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:31 - May 16 with 1803 viewschicoazul

We could make the unvaccinated wear a badge or something so all the marvellously clever people can avoid them. That would be good wouldn’t it?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:38 - May 16 with 1776 viewsPinewoodblue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:31 - May 16 by chicoazul

We could make the unvaccinated wear a badge or something so all the marvellously clever people can avoid them. That would be good wouldn’t it?

I hope you are being sarcastic, even then still in bad taste.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:04 - May 16 with 1725 viewsGlasgowBlue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:26 - May 16 by Pinewoodblue

Worth pointing out that while the majority of those admitted to hospital hadn’t been vaccinated, although eligible, the majority of confirmed cases in the community were people not yet eligible for the vaccine.

Also that new case numbers are highest in districts with the lowest take up on vaccine.

Indeed. Lowest vaccine coverage Central Bolton (46.3 %), Burnden and Great Lever (46.6 &) and Rumworth (47.9%).

Iron Lion Zion

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:05 - May 16 with 1718 viewsGlasgowBlue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:31 - May 16 by chicoazul

That’s a pretty sick comment Chico. You’re better than that.

Iron Lion Zion

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:15 - May 16 with 1676 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 11:38 - May 16 by Pinewoodblue

I hope you are being sarcastic, even then still in bad taste.

I am, but I don’t care if you don’t like it or find it in bad taste. The idea these vaccines should be mandatory is utterly disgusting, just like these vaccine passports so many on here espouse. The people not having the vaccine include many of the people you were all clapping from your doorstep a year ago. As so often TWTD finds itself on the side of the authoritarians. What’s the plan lads, van loads of jackbooted thugs roaming Bolton and east London sticking needles in the arms of the refuseniks?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:17 - May 16 with 1664 viewsbournemouthblue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 10:03 - May 16 by pointofblue

There was a set of headlines the other day which highlighted the point beautifully I thought and we have been here somewhere before

The Vaccine rollout has got us out of jail for the timebeing, it doesn't suddenly give me mass confidence in the government to keep getting things right

Portugal allows Tourists from Monday

Second Jab could be given sooner to tackle variant

CoVid in Bolton, what's causing the spike?

So we have a deadly variant spreading and we are just releasing the borders

What could possibly go wrong?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:19 - May 16 with 1650 viewsGaryCooper

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:15 - May 16 by chicoazul

I am, but I don’t care if you don’t like it or find it in bad taste. The idea these vaccines should be mandatory is utterly disgusting, just like these vaccine passports so many on here espouse. The people not having the vaccine include many of the people you were all clapping from your doorstep a year ago. As so often TWTD finds itself on the side of the authoritarians. What’s the plan lads, van loads of jackbooted thugs roaming Bolton and east London sticking needles in the arms of the refuseniks?

Or very local lockdowns for anti vaxxers, firmly implemented, the stupid can not be allowed to drive the country into a national lockdown.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:20 - May 16 with 1645 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:05 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

That’s a pretty sick comment Chico. You’re better than that.

I think the idea of making people have the vaccine, as per your threat title, is pretty sick. That’s how this works.
Tell us more about the mechanics of making it compulsory though, please, if that’s what you want to do.

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:22 - May 16 with 1624 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:19 - May 16 by GaryCooper

Or very local lockdowns for anti vaxxers, firmly implemented, the stupid can not be allowed to drive the country into a national lockdown.

We are close, if not there yet, to 70% of adults being vaccinated. We now need to live with the risk (such as it is).

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:24 - May 16 with 1608 viewseireblue

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:15 - May 16 by chicoazul

It can be quite easy to make emotive arguments.

Probably could be able to do that to oppose your argument.

Something humans have chosen to do for thousands of years is take drugs.

But nowadays, people make emotive arguments about people doing that sort of thing. People do get their liberty taken away from them from participating. Some people support that, just because it is enforced by a government. I guess that would be an example of an authoritarian.
The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:25 - May 16 with 1601 viewschicoazul

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:24 - May 16 by eireblue

It can be quite easy to make emotive arguments.

Probably could be able to do that to oppose your argument.

Something humans have chosen to do for thousands of years is take drugs.

But nowadays, people make emotive arguments about people doing that sort of thing. People do get their liberty taken away from them from participating. Some people support that, just because it is enforced by a government. I guess that would be an example of an authoritarian.

“Here are some words”

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:27 - May 16 with 1588 viewsGaryCooper

The case for making vaccines compulsory on 12:22 - May 16 by chicoazul

We are close, if not there yet, to 70% of adults being vaccinated. We now need to live with the risk (such as it is).

We certainly need to live with the risk, the fear being propagated by the BBC yesterday was out of all proportion, the country can in no way, medically and financially afford further national lockdowns.

Those who wish to shield then fine otherwise just get on with life.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024