Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... 13:47 - May 17 with 15212 viewsKropotkin123

Personally I remember Nabil Abidallah was a Dutch international at multiple youth levels and at the time I expected him to break into the team, but he didn't go on to have a decent career.

Who did you think was going to be the next big thing for us?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:20 - May 17 with 2255 viewsElephantintheRoom

Big thing for us? That's really one for the history books because home grown players are snapped upas teenagers now if any good.

Irving Gernon was supposedly good enough to replace Mick Mills that didnt go too well

Kevin O'Callaghan was th first of many 'ones for the future' for Bobby Robson.

In recent years the only one I can think of who looked really good and never really made anything of his career was Conor Wickham

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:21 - May 17 with 2256 viewsCoco

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:09 - May 17 by positivity

kundai benyu

Ms Josh Carson

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:30 - May 17 with 2213 viewsTrumptonBlue

Lee Honeywood. Always seemed to be on the verge of breaking through. Never did.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:31 - May 17 with 2202 viewsCoco

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:30 - May 17 by TrumptonBlue

Lee Honeywood. Always seemed to be on the verge of breaking through. Never did.

Adam Tanner, Neil Gregory.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:37 - May 17 with 2185 viewsMattinLondon

Gerald Nash - would have made it but had bad injuries.
Michael Synnott - as above.

Pretty sure that there was a youngester in Kieron Dyers age group who was considered amazing but just didn’t have the right attitude- ended up working in a factory in the north-east. Cant remember his name.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:37 - May 17 with 2185 viewsFtnfwest

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:18 - May 17 by vilanovablue

https://www.mancity.com/news/eds-academy/eds-v-spurs-match-report-30-april-63755

I'd also give a shout out to Jonas Axeldahl back around 2000 he seemed to score tons of goals for the reserves but never made the step up.

thanks for this, i guess if you're at city you have to be foden level to get a chance in the first place. Wonder if he'll end up elsewhere in the prem ultimately?
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:38 - May 17 with 2184 viewsPrideOfTheEast

There was a youth player called Robert Dickinson in the early 2000s who didn't play for our first team but was considered by Ambrose, Bent and others to be the best player of their age group. I don't think he made it anywhere after he left us.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:38 - May 17 with 2180 viewsFtnfwest

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 14:22 - May 17 by PhilTWTD

Someone was telling me the other day his progress has stalled a bit lately.

article further down by vilanova is interesting but yes a rumour of that was all i'd heard
Login to get fewer ads

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:42 - May 17 with 2161 viewsvilanovablue

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:37 - May 17 by Ftnfwest

thanks for this, i guess if you're at city you have to be foden level to get a chance in the first place. Wonder if he'll end up elsewhere in the prem ultimately?

No worries with Man City literally over run with talent it takes a little longer. I could see him ending up at Leicester a decent but not brilliant prem side. However playing regularly in their development squad isn't a bad place to be.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:10 - May 17 with 2119 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:18 - May 17 by yorkshireblue

He, like many of the academy players went to my sixth form. Obviously one of his subjects was A-Level PE.

A couple of days after this, in an assessed football match that I'm led to believe counted towards their grade (I didn't do PE, so I am unclear of this), one of the lads I had a season ticket with had to mark him - apparently he was a bit of a handful. My mate swapped at half-time with Aiden Collins who was also in the academy at the time.

A few have mentioned Dean McDonald - haven't heard that name in years so looked him up to see what became of him. Including us and Arsenal - 21 clubs!

I was going to put Aiden Collins forward as my answer. He looked majestic for the FA Youth Cup winning team, but injuries took him out of full-time football.

In a sense the whole of the 2005 FA Youth Cup winning team is the answer, especially when you consider what the Southampton players who they defeated went on to achieve between them!
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:12 - May 17 with 2111 viewsOsborneOneNil

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:31 - May 17 by Coco

Adam Tanner, Neil Gregory.

Was going to say my mate Tanner. Kinda made it by scoring the winner at Anfield, but we often chat as to what might have been if he’d avoided trouble.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:19 - May 17 with 2097 viewsPhilTWTD

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:38 - May 17 by PrideOfTheEast

There was a youth player called Robert Dickinson in the early 2000s who didn't play for our first team but was considered by Ambrose, Bent and others to be the best player of their age group. I don't think he made it anywhere after he left us.

He didn't, was playing at a local non-league level around Leeds last I remember. Was clearly very talented but think he may have carried a bit of weight and not sure he had the dedication required.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:21 - May 17 with 2079 viewsoneoffposter

Lee Durrant

Chris Keeble

Stuart Niven
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:25 - May 17 with 2058 viewsTrumptonBlue

Lee Norfolk. Looked decent in his couple of games in the Prem, I thought.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:27 - May 17 with 2053 viewssoupytwist

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:19 - May 17 by PhilTWTD

He didn't, was playing at a local non-league level around Leeds last I remember. Was clearly very talented but think he may have carried a bit of weight and not sure he had the dedication required.

He scored twice in a 5-0 U17 Playoff Final First Leg win against a Newcastle side that included Michael Chopra back in May 2001. Of our team that day 5 went on to have varying levels of success in the pro game.
https://www.nufc.com/html/2000-01html/2001-05-19ipswichu17a.html

Was on trial at West Ham and then Boston three years later -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/ipswich_town/2677253.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/ipswich_town/3040833.stm

Could be that he ended up in Yorkshire at Bardsey -
https://thedribblingcode.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/sat-18-may-2013-wetherby-athle
[Post edited 17 May 2021 16:32]
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:38 - May 17 with 2015 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:21 - May 17 by oneoffposter

Lee Durrant

Chris Keeble

Stuart Niven

I saw Stuart Niven play at Bramall Lane, think it mayve been his only appearance.

Looked a tidy player.
[Post edited 17 May 2021 16:39]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:40 - May 17 with 2009 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Billy Clarke... I thought he was going to be the next Michael Owen!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:40 - May 17 with 2011 viewsParisBlue

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:42 - May 17 by vilanovablue

No worries with Man City literally over run with talent it takes a little longer. I could see him ending up at Leicester a decent but not brilliant prem side. However playing regularly in their development squad isn't a bad place to be.

He's 19 next month so I guess he'll be available for a loan next season at some level (not sure he'll fit Cook's profile)

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:41 - May 17 with 2011 viewsJohnWarksTash

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:21 - May 17 by oneoffposter

Lee Durrant

Chris Keeble

Stuart Niven

Lee Durrant was in the year above me at school and i beat him in a penatly shoot out competition as school...so I guess that means I was better than him? :)

Him and his brother Gary were well known around Lowestoft as being football superstars...big fish in a small pond I guess.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:52 - May 17 with 1996 viewsTieDyedIn95

It's amazing that with the hype around say a Nabil, Chris Hogg, Justin Miller, Matt Bloomfield and a few others from around that time the player to have a sustained Ipswich first team run was Arran Lee Barratt.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:55 - May 17 with 1981 viewsKeno

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:19 - May 17 by PhilTWTD

If you take out the bit about being clearly talented your last sentence could be applied to me

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:56 - May 17 with 1975 viewshype313

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:52 - May 17 by TieDyedIn95

It's amazing that with the hype around say a Nabil, Chris Hogg, Justin Miller, Matt Bloomfield and a few others from around that time the player to have a sustained Ipswich first team run was Arran Lee Barratt.

I think what this shows is that you can be amazing at 16 and then average once you hit 18, so many 16yr olds I knew back in the day thought they would make it but struggled to push on when entering mens football.

If we actually look at it in the past 20 years only Bramble, Dyer, Ambrose, Bent, Wickham, Rhodes have all gone onto better things, and then think how many hundreds if not thousands of young lads in that period that didn't push on.

Just goes to show how hard it is to make it, that's my solace anyway...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:02 - May 17 with 1957 viewsMullet

Jordan Rhodes

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jason Dozzell, Flynn Downes, Armando Dobra, Luke Wolfenden..... on 17:03 - May 17 with 1955 viewsunstableblue

.... Teddy Bishop, Nydam, El Mizuoni.... etc etc

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:18 - May 17 with 1939 viewsPhilTWTD

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:27 - May 17 by soupytwist

He scored twice in a 5-0 U17 Playoff Final First Leg win against a Newcastle side that included Michael Chopra back in May 2001. Of our team that day 5 went on to have varying levels of success in the pro game.
https://www.nufc.com/html/2000-01html/2001-05-19ipswichu17a.html

Was on trial at West Ham and then Boston three years later -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/ipswich_town/2677253.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/ipswich_town/3040833.stm

Could be that he ended up in Yorkshire at Bardsey -
https://thedribblingcode.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/sat-18-may-2013-wetherby-athle
[Post edited 17 May 2021 16:32]

In the Newcastle game he had Chris Waddle on his feet applauding a particular moment of skill.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024