Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... 13:47 - May 17 with 15260 viewsKropotkin123

Personally I remember Nabil Abidallah was a Dutch international at multiple youth levels and at the time I expected him to break into the team, but he didn't go on to have a decent career.

Who did you think was going to be the next big thing for us?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:29 - May 17 with 1765 viewssoupytwist

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:18 - May 17 by PhilTWTD

In the Newcastle game he had Chris Waddle on his feet applauding a particular moment of skill.

Just looked up a few of the Newcastle players from that game and Peter Ramage was assistant coach at Phoenix Rising. Played for them / Arizona United for a year or so from May 2016 and coached from August 2018. He's now back at Newcastle.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:34 - May 17 with 1754 viewsbluelagos

Adam Tanner certainly went off the rails a bit and was well regarding when he first broke into the first team.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:42 - May 17 with 1740 viewsMattinLondon

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:18 - May 17 by PhilTWTD

In the Newcastle game he had Chris Waddle on his feet applauding a particular moment of skill.

There’s an old saying that ‘youth is wasted on the young’ and maybe this is particularly true of ex-footballers who, when they are much older, they look back on their life and think ‘why didn’t I just knuckle down?
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:51 - May 17 with 1718 viewslongtimefan

Elliott Hewitt was one that great things were expected of given the clubs chasing him when he signed for us. Unfortunately it never happened for him or us.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:56 - May 17 with 1713 viewsbariotneblue

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 14:14 - May 17 by Keno

oh for a new Jamma!!

one of my favourite all time Town players and vastly underrated

I lived in Lewes for a couple of years and Jammu was playing for Lewes FC a the time. Absolutely top man. Always came to have a pint with me in the club house afterwards and happy to chat about the glory days.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:58 - May 17 with 1703 viewsjungleboy

Kevin O'Callaghan. Could have won us the league in 1981 and 82 but promise not fulfilled.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 18:00 - May 17 with 1678 viewschrismakin

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:51 - May 17 by longtimefan

Elliott Hewitt was one that great things were expected of given the clubs chasing him when he signed for us. Unfortunately it never happened for him or us.

What happened to him...

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 18:03 - May 17 with 1681 viewsxrayspecs

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:56 - May 17 by hype313

I think what this shows is that you can be amazing at 16 and then average once you hit 18, so many 16yr olds I knew back in the day thought they would make it but struggled to push on when entering mens football.

If we actually look at it in the past 20 years only Bramble, Dyer, Ambrose, Bent, Wickham, Rhodes have all gone onto better things, and then think how many hundreds if not thousands of young lads in that period that didn't push on.

Just goes to show how hard it is to make it, that's my solace anyway...

Playing age group football is very different to playing in the first team, typically only a few in each year group are able to make that transition.

The difficulty is that at most clubs you have to step up very quickly else you will be let go. Clubs cannot afford to give you game time if you are not ready, and if you are not ready, you will not get the game time needed to develop.
Login to get fewer ads

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 18:03 - May 17 with 1682 viewsScottCandage

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 14:04 - May 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

Genuinely think any comparisons were based on him having similar hair to Stevie G.

IIRC, the nickname also came about because Velice put Gerrard in his pocket in the Macedonia/England match when his name became known. I thought we found a future winner. But we found a guy who had already played his best game,.
Jason Dozzell, Flynn Downes, Armando Dobra, Luke Wolfenden..... on 18:03 - May 17 with 1681 viewsxrayspecs

Jason Dozzell, Flynn Downes, Armando Dobra, Luke Wolfenden..... on 17:03 - May 17 by unstableblue

.... Teddy Bishop, Nydam, El Mizuoni.... etc etc

Harsh on Jason
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 18:26 - May 17 with 1651 viewsHipsterectomy

Connor Wickham. From the number of scouts who attended our games, and from what I remember a few big clubs touted him and his family with free tickets and things (Arsenal regularly from what I remember). Seemed he could have any club he wanted and be regarded as an important player for them. He was getting national praise for his England yoof performances...then chooses Sunderland and is shifted to Palace after a few loans. Just over 100 apps in the Prem considering his potential is disappointing. He’s only 28 but you have to feel that his Prem days are over

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 18:41 - May 17 with 1634 viewschrismakin

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 18:26 - May 17 by Hipsterectomy

Connor Wickham. From the number of scouts who attended our games, and from what I remember a few big clubs touted him and his family with free tickets and things (Arsenal regularly from what I remember). Seemed he could have any club he wanted and be regarded as an important player for them. He was getting national praise for his England yoof performances...then chooses Sunderland and is shifted to Palace after a few loans. Just over 100 apps in the Prem considering his potential is disappointing. He’s only 28 but you have to feel that his Prem days are over

Out of contract...... town return on the cards?......

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 19:00 - May 17 with 1623 viewsChurchman

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 18:41 - May 17 by chrismakin

Out of contract...... town return on the cards?......

I hope not. Whatever his age his best years are behind him. 41 appearances for Palace in 5 years, 13 for Wednesday last season. Barring nostalgia, why would we want him?
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 19:03 - May 17 with 1615 viewschrismakin

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 19:00 - May 17 by Churchman

I hope not. Whatever his age his best years are behind him. 41 appearances for Palace in 5 years, 13 for Wednesday last season. Barring nostalgia, why would we want him?

Seeing Mgoldrick play so often at Sheff utd. Gives you hope it can be done in our favour for once

Rather than us getting a huws.. judge type pro injury player..

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 19:03 - May 17 with 1619 viewscatch74

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 18:00 - May 17 by chrismakin

What happened to him...

Think he’s at MK Dons!? Our level!!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 19:13 - May 17 with 1599 viewsSwansea_Blue

Gerard Nash. Was highly rated coming through before his knee (I think) gave up.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 22:57 - May 17 with 1501 viewscressi

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 19:03 - May 17 by catch74

David Barnes left back think went to Birmingham
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 23:06 - May 17 with 1496 viewshoppy

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:34 - May 17 by bluelagos

Adam Tanner certainly went off the rails a bit and was well regarding when he first broke into the first team.

I thought he was usually one to toe the line...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 23:09 - May 17 with 1490 viewsMattinLondon

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 23:06 - May 17 by hoppy

I thought he was usually one to toe the line...

Only if the line involved a credit card, a tenner and was situated in a nightclub toilet.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 10:43 - May 18 with 1327 viewsSaleAway

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 13:50 - May 17 by Kropotkin123

He had the luckiest hat-trick I've ever seen. I can't even remember the details now. But I was amazed at the time.

I remember that too - watford? 2 goalkeeping howlers..

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 10:50 - May 19 with 1236 viewsSharkey

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 19:03 - May 17 by catch74

I thought he was at Grimsby? (If we're talking about Hewitt)
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 10:58 - May 19 with 1233 viewsPhilTWTD

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 16:38 - May 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

I saw Stuart Niven play at Bramall Lane, think it mayve been his only appearance.

Looked a tidy player.
[Post edited 17 May 2021 16:39]

I know some of his youth team contempories were perplexed why he got his chance in the first team so early as was far from a standout performer for them.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 15:02 - May 19 with 1072 viewsRadlett_blue

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 17:56 - May 17 by bariotneblue

I lived in Lewes for a couple of years and Jammu was playing for Lewes FC a the time. Absolutely top man. Always came to have a pint with me in the club house afterwards and happy to chat about the glory days.

For a player who could strike a ball well, he scored remarkably few goals in his career - 21 in 439 games so about 2 per full season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 08:49 - May 20 with 969 viewsSharkey

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 10:50 - May 19 by Sharkey

I thought he was at Grimsby? (If we're talking about Hewitt)

I see yesterday he signed for Mansfield.
Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 10:39 - May 20 with 908 viewssolemio

Most promising Town player who didn't make it... on 13:47 - May 17 by homer_123

Michael Cole.

Did OK at Fulham if I'm remembering correctly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024