Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Explain this one to me 19:09 - May 17 with 4438 viewsbluelagos

If a young kid gets one of those electric scooters and rides it on the road and/or pavement - he's liable to a fine.

Yet old people are allowed to do both on a mobility scooter thingy.

Why the inconsistency?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Explain this one to me on 20:34 - May 17 with 873 viewsbluelagos

Explain this one to me on 20:31 - May 17 by Meadowlark

Momentum = mass x velocity.

For those that cannot figure this out, low weight and fast is equally dangerous as heavy weight and slow.
Both should be licensed and insured IMO.

Finally, a voice of reason on this thread.

I thought I was on my own Meadowlark :-)

Explain this one to me on 20:35 - May 17 with 872 viewsSpruceMoose

Explain this one to me on 20:33 - May 17 by jeera

They certainly did.

They were a sturdy ol' thing tbf and quite progressive for their day.

It was even too classy to peg cardboard to the back wheel. None of that tack for this mean machine.

I inherited one as a kid from somewhere or other. It was probably about twenty years old at that point! Built like a tank though. Lovely blue colour.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Explain this one to me on 20:35 - May 17 with 873 viewsjeera

Explain this one to me on 20:18 - May 17 by bluelagos

I'd love to get one. Jumping on/off the paths on the way back from the pub. What could go wrong? :-)

I think this would actually sell tickets.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Explain this one to me on 20:36 - May 17 with 871 viewsjontysnut

I was in Liverpool at the weekend and they have scooters for hire where you pick them up and dump them. It was a nightmare, you can't hear them coming and people just don't care.
Explain this one to me on 20:36 - May 17 with 867 viewsjeera

Explain this one to me on 20:35 - May 17 by SpruceMoose

I inherited one as a kid from somewhere or other. It was probably about twenty years old at that point! Built like a tank though. Lovely blue colour.

Mine was blue and I'm roughly 20 years older than you.

You're welcome.

Explain this one to me on 20:38 - May 17 with 864 viewsbluelagos

Explain this one to me on 20:35 - May 17 by jeera

I think this would actually sell tickets.

My last bicycle tumble back in November was in Manningtree in front of a gaggle of old ladies. Think I should have charged them for the show.

Explain this one to me on 20:40 - May 17 with 853 viewsbluelagos

Explain this one to me on 20:36 - May 17 by jontysnut

I was in Liverpool at the weekend and they have scooters for hire where you pick them up and dump them. It was a nightmare, you can't hear them coming and people just don't care.

There's a few cities where they are trialing them for hire. Closer to home Colchester is one of them.

Explain this one to me on 20:40 - May 17 with 849 viewsSpruceMoose

Explain this one to me on 20:36 - May 17 by jeera

Mine was blue and I'm roughly 20 years older than you.

You're welcome.

Dad? Is that you?
[Post edited 17 May 2021 20:40]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Explain this one to me on 20:41 - May 17 with 848 viewsjeera

Explain this one to me on 20:38 - May 17 by bluelagos

My last bicycle tumble back in November was in Manningtree in front of a gaggle of old ladies. Think I should have charged them for the show.

" a gaggle of old ladies."

This should be the recognised formal term.

Explain this one to me on 20:42 - May 17 with 844 viewsNthsuffolkblue

For those that cannot figure this out, low weight and fast is equally dangerous as heavy weight and slow.

Your physics is correct but slow is more likely to be avoidable.

It is more when either comes into collision with traffic at 20-30 mph. The e-scooter is more likely to lead to injuries. Plus the likelihood of collision with pedestrians on the pavement is higher the higher the speed.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Explain this one to me on 20:47 - May 17 with 837 viewsbluelagos

Explain this one to me on 20:42 - May 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

Your physics is correct but slow is more likely to be avoidable.

It is more when either comes into collision with traffic at 20-30 mph. The e-scooter is more likely to lead to injuries. Plus the likelihood of collision with pedestrians on the pavement is higher the higher the speed.

You seen the way some of the oldies drive these things in Supermarkets?

Proper menaces some of them.

Explain this one to me on 20:51 - May 17 with 832 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Explain this one to me on 20:47 - May 17 by bluelagos

You seen the way some of the oldies drive these things in Supermarkets?

Proper menaces some of them.

Any old person in a supermarket is a proper menace that you are best trying to get out of the way of ... including the shelf stackers.

I actually think there should be a fairly slow speed limit on the mobility scooters.

The best answer for the e-scooters is probably having some sort of age limit and licence system but I am not sure that is especially workable. I wonder what their top speed is.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Explain this one to me on 20:55 - May 17 with 829 viewsbluelagos

Explain this one to me on 20:51 - May 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

Any old person in a supermarket is a proper menace that you are best trying to get out of the way of ... including the shelf stackers.

I actually think there should be a fairly slow speed limit on the mobility scooters.

The best answer for the e-scooters is probably having some sort of age limit and licence system but I am not sure that is especially workable. I wonder what their top speed is.

The ones in Colchester are limited to 15 mph. I think otherwise you'd easily get 25 mph on some of them. Presumably that could increase in time.

If they do legalise them, would be easy to enough to class them similar to say a 50cc scooter. 16 minimum age (or is it 17?), cbt test, insurance before you can ride them on the road, no riding of them on pavements etc. Could even make helmets compulsory to keep the parents happy.

Explain this one to me on 20:56 - May 17 with 826 viewsjeera

Explain this one to me on 20:40 - May 17 by SpruceMoose

Dad? Is that you?
[Post edited 17 May 2021 20:40]

Sorry son.

She never told me at the time she was married.

Explain this one to me on 21:16 - May 17 with 806 viewsJ2BLUE

It's best not to pick at the inconsistencies in society! Whole can of worms there.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Explain this one to me on 22:00 - May 17 with 790 viewsStokieBlue

Whilst the general point is correct what is actually the issue here is the kinetic energy and in that case speed is actually more of a factor than mass given in the velocity is squared when you do the calculation.

So high speed and light is worse than heavy and slow once you reach a certain threshold.

But you are right that low weight and fast is very dangerous and I agree they should probably be licenced.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Explain this one to me on 23:18 - May 17 with 764 viewsHARRY10

They have added to the fun of driving a transit van.

Previously it was the odd numpty staring down at his/her pecking box , fingers going like some morse code operative on speed.

The fun was when in slow moving traffic then would cross the road totally oblivious to much else around them. A good sharp blast on the horn provides a welcome bit of amusement

Much as the scooter dckheads. I nearly hit one over the week-end, but he matched to get on the pavement and behind a bus shelter at the last moment.

But on a serious note there needs to be action taken sooner rather than later, as the idea that these things are entitled to go anywhere, at any speed possible with the only sanction seeming to be a hefty fine imposed on anyone caught on a scooter with lights
Explain this one to me on 06:01 - May 18 with 732 viewsRyorry

Explain this one to me on 20:12 - May 17 by bluelagos

What are you guys like! The same can be said of pushbikes. Plenty of kids do stupid things on push bikes - but we don't ban them because of the actions of a few.

On the latest 'SAS - Who Dares Wins' wannabes, there's a guy in his 20s who met the love of his life. They were going to be married, but then he bought her an electric scooter & she was killed riding it.

Poor man was in total pieces, he'd clearly volunteered to take part in the show because he simply didn't care any more what happened to him or his body. Is still in the last 16 because as Staff Andy said, "we can see something in you".

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Explain this one to me on 06:23 - May 18 with 720 viewstortoise

I don’t know what the law is, but you must be able to ride them somewhere because in Nottingham the council provides them free for people to get about like the bike schemes...
Explain this one to me on 06:49 - May 18 with 711 viewsEly_Blue

Explain this one to me on 20:22 - May 17 by SpruceMoose

It's the same here. They're actually a huge danger to cyclists who, in my experience here, take the rules of the road and their own safety pretty seriously. But when you have electric bikes weaving and overtaking serious cyclists (and the Citi Bike day trippers), and going the wrong way along bike lanes, then there's a serious accident waiting to happen.

That's not even discussing the danger to pedestrians when someone zips past you at 20mph without making much noise.

It's something that's definitely seemed to become more of an issue during the pandemic.

You lost me at cyclist and taking safety seriously!

I’m not sure where you live but it must be an anomaly about cyclists who care about safety!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Explain this one to me on 09:19 - May 18 with 689 viewsbluelagos

Explain this one to me on 06:23 - May 18 by tortoise

I don’t know what the law is, but you must be able to ride them somewhere because in Nottingham the council provides them free for people to get about like the bike schemes...

So Nottingham is one of the places where they are have a scheme to hire them. It is part of a national trial that hopefully will lead to them being legalised for everyday punters.

Fantastic alternative to taking the car for the short journeys so many people seem to be addicted to.

Explain this one to me on 09:36 - May 18 with 677 viewsnoggin

Explain this one to me on 20:07 - May 17 by StokieBlue

Because one is a death trap and was right banned previously in my opinion and the other goes at about 5mph and is massive.

Really not a fan of the electric scooters, I think the injury rate from them will be proven to be pretty high in a few years time.

Hopefully I am wrong.

SB

They are indeed dangerous and they are also an eyesore. We have had a rental system here for a couple of years and they are everywhere. Drunk people ride them home, kids ride 3 up and they are disgarded in the road to be a traffic hazzard. They're pretty expensive too but cheaper than a taxi home from the pub.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Explain this one to me on 09:39 - May 18 with 675 viewsStokieBlue

Explain this one to me on 09:19 - May 18 by bluelagos

So Nottingham is one of the places where they are have a scheme to hire them. It is part of a national trial that hopefully will lead to them being legalised for everyday punters.

Fantastic alternative to taking the car for the short journeys so many people seem to be addicted to.

Once again though, your experiences of them are very limited and in a rural environment. I wonder if you'd have the same opinions if you lived in a crowded city and had seen their usage there over a long period.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-users

It's illegal to use them on the roads or in public spaces but I see them used all the time, all day, every day. Why is that tolerated if they are illegal? You also need a driving licence to use one which clearly isn't the case for a lot of kids using them. In the end it's a motorised vehicle and you've always needed a licence to use one of those whatever the form.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Explain this one to me on 09:41 - May 18 with 670 viewsnoggin

Explain this one to me on 09:19 - May 18 by bluelagos

In theory, yes, but in practice, the public are dicks and abuse the scooters.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Explain this one to me on 09:44 - May 18 with 665 viewsbluelagos

Explain this one to me on 09:39 - May 18 by StokieBlue

Once again though, your experiences of them are very limited and in a rural environment. I wonder if you'd have the same opinions if you lived in a crowded city and had seen their usage there over a long period.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-users

It's illegal to use them on the roads or in public spaces but I see them used all the time, all day, every day. Why is that tolerated if they are illegal? You also need a driving licence to use one which clearly isn't the case for a lot of kids using them. In the end it's a motorised vehicle and you've always needed a licence to use one of those whatever the form.

SB

I experienced them first hand in Paris. Worked a treat as it happens. Reckon in built up areas with heavy traffic they would help alleviate congestion and make everyone's journeys better.

As to why are they largely tolerated at the moment given their use on public roads/paths is not permitted - I guess that is a wider question around policing resources and policing priorities. They probably consider their use to be no more harmless than say cyclists on pavements.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024