Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I read somewhere that the one.... 11:08 - May 18 with 4152 viewsOriginalMarkyP

...trait Cook hates in a player more than anything else is a 'sulker'.

Its been attributed to players who he has got rid of before. I wonder who our 'sulkers' are? I have a sneaky feeling Doz might be one.
[Post edited 18 May 2021 11:09]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

I read somewhere that the one.... on 12:38 - May 18 with 787 viewsGarv

I read somewhere that the one.... on 12:17 - May 18 by EastTownBlue

I stand corrected. I’m surprised they send that out.

I think the scum comment was said with some kind of irony or sarcasm but the tone of the whole thing was fairly uncomfortable. Grown men saying sh!t every other word. Just odd.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I read somewhere that the one.... on 12:40 - May 18 with 775 viewschrismakin

I read somewhere that the one.... on 12:29 - May 18 by pointofblue

The issue is peaks isn’t it? At his best Woolfenden is better than McGuiness and Nsiala but, for whatever reason, and I think there’s some fair reasons why away from the player, he didn’t show it last season. Does Cook feel he can get the best out of him? If not have to wonder why not; it could be he just feels Woolfenden needs a fresh start, or deserves first team football which we can’t necessary offer next year, or it could be attitude. The one thing which continues to bug me is wasn’t he the only player to stay behind when Cook realised the squad was not up to holding a double training session?

Edwards at his peak is certainly worth a go but, from experience, he turns up at the start of the season then does very little after the initial burst. Nolan has flattered to deceive so often - his peak was at Shrewsbury but we’ve never seen it with us; we’ve got more out of Dozzell and Bishop than him. Dobra was a spark that gave so many of us hope at the end of the season; a flash of skill and flair. At his age surely another season is worth a go though I do understand the attraction of loaning him out.

I think you've picked up on something within the peak stuff, we've needed peak performances from our squad as their peak levels were the only way to a succesful result, which you're not actually always going to have every week, you need at least a 7/10 to get ugly wins sometimes.

With our lot, you pretty much needed them on point and with their peak performances each game, there wasn't really a middle ground where as players you could get away with a 7/10 from a wolfenden, or a 7/10 for a dozzel, as anything less than their utmost best wasn't good enough.

In the past we had a berra, where a 7/10 performance would still be faily solid, or a tabby 7/10 . Hope all that makes sense. It does to me, but appreciate writing it may read differently to how I'm thinking it.

Dobra, I am very very surprised. I felt off the bench he had a mix bag of games, then he had his starts and he looked incredibly dangerous. Raw of course but offer me Bennetts or Dobra and it's Dobra all day long. Dobra refusing a loan last season can be taking 2 ways. 1 - determination to succeed at town or 2 - couldnt' be bothered. Which is it? using the OP in the way it was intended, perhaps Dobra is one of those players? again guesswork on my side. But I Cant' see any reason why PC would not be interested in him when you look over PC sides of past and how Dobra would be an ideal right sided attacking threat for his 4 2 3 1 style.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I read somewhere that the one.... on 12:52 - May 18 with 736 viewsabracaDOBRA_

I read somewhere that the one.... on 12:21 - May 18 by JackSted

When's the signing mate?

Admittedly didn't happen yesterday but he was at the club. I wouldn't make that up. I'd literally put my mortgage on him being at Playford Road yesterday.

Probably shouldn't have assumed he was signing though but being at the club is a good sign.
I read somewhere that the one.... on 12:52 - May 18 with 738 viewsSitfcB

I read somewhere that the one.... on 12:25 - May 18 by J2BLUE

Can you give me one example of Dozzell sulking?

@ Sitters - Or Woolf?

@ poster i've forgotten - Or Bishop?

Just one will do...

Think Lambert said as much once.

Deleted all his Instagram posts a while back.

The tweets he likes on twitter.

FWIW I don’t think Bishop or Dozzell are sulkers.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

I read somewhere that the one.... on 13:17 - May 18 with 689 viewsjayessess

I read somewhere that the one.... on 12:29 - May 18 by pointofblue

The issue is peaks isn’t it? At his best Woolfenden is better than McGuiness and Nsiala but, for whatever reason, and I think there’s some fair reasons why away from the player, he didn’t show it last season. Does Cook feel he can get the best out of him? If not have to wonder why not; it could be he just feels Woolfenden needs a fresh start, or deserves first team football which we can’t necessary offer next year, or it could be attitude. The one thing which continues to bug me is wasn’t he the only player to stay behind when Cook realised the squad was not up to holding a double training session?

Edwards at his peak is certainly worth a go but, from experience, he turns up at the start of the season then does very little after the initial burst. Nolan has flattered to deceive so often - his peak was at Shrewsbury but we’ve never seen it with us; we’ve got more out of Dozzell and Bishop than him. Dobra was a spark that gave so many of us hope at the end of the season; a flash of skill and flair. At his age surely another season is worth a go though I do understand the attraction of loaning him out.

Dobra's just bizarre for me.
You've got an attacking player who can play across the forward line who won't count towards squad limits or SMCP salary costs and is already useful as an impact substitute. In terms of squad planning, he's an absolute gift!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I read somewhere that the one.... on 13:52 - May 18 with 641 viewsIllinoisblue

Where did you read that?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I read somewhere that the one.... on 13:58 - May 18 with 630 viewsWD19

I read somewhere that the one.... on 13:52 - May 18 by Illinoisblue

Where did you read that?

There is mention of it here.

The fact it is spontaneously mentioned makes it likely it is a regular part of his spiel.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/how-paul-cook-turned-around-wigan-athl
I read somewhere that the one.... on 13:59 - May 18 with 625 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I read somewhere that the one.... on 13:52 - May 18 by Illinoisblue

Where did you read that?

I was trying to find out a bit more about Ian Craney and read an article in the Liverpool Echo I think, can't remember sorry! Otherwise I'd have supported with a link. But I did read it, not Def Info honest!

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Login to get fewer ads

I read somewhere that the one.... on 14:25 - May 18 with 579 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I read somewhere that the one.... on 11:33 - May 18 by reusersfreekicks

More guesswork!!

Thats kind of what you get with a forum.

If we're honest, especially this one.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I read somewhere that the one.... on 14:40 - May 18 with 552 views66notout

I read somewhere that the one.... on 11:11 - May 18 by WD19

If that is true, it explains why he didn't much like any of them.

Biggest bunch of victims you are ever likely to see.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but how would you react if a new manager rolled up and said about you and your colleagues what Cook said about the players as he chucked them under the bus. Hardly a motivational speech was it? The end result was that a team that had won three on the trot and were unbeaten in five only won four of the 16 with Cook in charge.
Anything less than promotion next season will see Cook gone but a lack of results by the end of October is more likely to signal his departure. Obviously, as a Town fan, I hope he succeeds but I’m far from convinced about the way he is going about it.
I read somewhere that the one.... on 14:47 - May 18 with 539 viewschrismakin

I read somewhere that the one.... on 14:40 - May 18 by 66notout

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but how would you react if a new manager rolled up and said about you and your colleagues what Cook said about the players as he chucked them under the bus. Hardly a motivational speech was it? The end result was that a team that had won three on the trot and were unbeaten in five only won four of the 16 with Cook in charge.
Anything less than promotion next season will see Cook gone but a lack of results by the end of October is more likely to signal his departure. Obviously, as a Town fan, I hope he succeeds but I’m far from convinced about the way he is going about it.

He didn't just roll up and start slag ging them off though

"Our players need belief and confidence now and need to know I believe in them and I believe we can be successful this season. If they keep listening to me in interviews saying I’m not happy with this and I’m not happy with that, then they’ll go the other way on me. That’s not what I want. "

"They've been criticised for two years... imagine what a little cuddle would do for them' - Cook"

Two different cooks.

The latter quote was the beginning of his reign here, the former came after and as the performances continued to be lacklustre it got worse.

Trust is clearly big for Cook, as below shows. And he mentions the same as Chambers did, fans see what happens on the pitch, not what goes on off it.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/paul-cook-seeking-players-put-his-po

[Post edited 18 May 2021 14:54]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I read somewhere that the one.... on 14:53 - May 18 with 526 viewsPositivelyPortman

I read somewhere that the one.... on 14:40 - May 18 by 66notout

No kidding?

He tried the kid gloves for a few weeks, then he found out that none of them were prepared to undertake double training to help them improve, so he kicked them in the tookers.
I’d have done the same too.
They’re supposed to be professional athletes and they’re well remunerated.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024