Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you support the banning of heading a football? 08:40 - May 20 with 1453 viewsKropotkin123

Would you support the banning of heading a football?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 09:06 - May 20 with 1374 viewsgordon

Seem to remember that Steve McManaman had a ban in place to stop him going up for a header and it didn't do him any harm.
Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 09:14 - May 20 with 1333 viewsbluelagos

If it were shown to contribute to dementia in later life, without hesitation.

I think the evidence is building, albeit not quite conclusive yet. Maybe the evidence as it exists only relates to times when footballs where much heavier / harder?

On balance I'll go with "I'll follow the science" :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 09:20 - May 20 with 1301 viewshype313

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 09:14 - May 20 by bluelagos

I think the evidence is building, albeit not quite conclusive yet. Maybe the evidence as it exists only relates to times when footballs where much heavier / harder?

Think that's where I am, at the moment it is centered around the vintage that used heavy leather balls that people now use in gyms to throw at their stomachs.

These days it might be different with the lighter balls, but I still think regardless of weight, repeatedly hitting something with your head is surely not good for you.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 09:22 - May 20 with 1293 viewsKropotkin123

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 09:14 - May 20 by bluelagos

The case studies from this generation won't be available for a while yet, which makes it way more difficult to prove it scientifically in the moment.

We know that repetitive hits to the head is not good for the brain. So I think (not science of course) there will be a high chance that it will cause issues later in life.

I always used to shirk headers and it is one of the primary reasons I preferred to be an attacking midfielder when playing casually or just opt for 5-aside.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 10:18 - May 20 with 1195 viewsDarth_Koont

Same here.

Would be very strange for the game though. And if you can’t use your head, you’d just see balls lumped up to defenders who then have to control it rather than clear it. Which would probably be the most effective way of creating chances even at a very high level.

Pretty sure it would demand another change of rules somewhere.

Pronouns: He/Him

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 10:47 - May 20 with 1147 viewsOsborneOneNil

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 10:18 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

Same here.

Would be very strange for the game though. And if you can’t use your head, you’d just see balls lumped up to defenders who then have to control it rather than clear it. Which would probably be the most effective way of creating chances even at a very high level.

Pretty sure it would demand another change of rules somewhere.

It would look ridiculous. Corner into the box, players trying to chest or shoulder it in. Be more bicycle kicks!!
Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 10:51 - May 20 with 1131 viewsDarth_Koont

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 10:47 - May 20 by OsborneOneNil

It would look ridiculous. Corner into the box, players trying to chest or shoulder it in. Be more bicycle kicks!!

Or short corners for the rest of eternity ... (shudder)

Pronouns: He/Him

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 11:03 - May 20 with 1102 viewsIpswichKnight

Could make it a bit like hockey where an aerial ball is considered dangerous if launched close to another player and only one person is allowed to win the ball and control it everyone else has to be 5m away. The biggest problem is deciding who is allowed to win the contest to control the ball if it’s landing between 2 players would also need 2 referees one to decide if it was a safe launch and one to decide who is allowed to control the ball on landing.
Login to get fewer ads

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 11:06 - May 20 with 1097 viewsElephantintheRoom

80% of Town fans happy to pay the costs of compenation, and legal parasite's fees I see.

I suspect it is inevitable at some point in the not too distant future, though a few major tweaks to the law might be necessary such as no hoofing the ball above head height.

Id be a bit happier to see the end of the offside law. That little tweak did wonders for hockey.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 11:16 - May 20 with 1064 viewsOriginalMarkyP

It is a hard one. Because it's such a defining part of the game.

Obviously players health has to come first, but I remember watching this on TV as a kid and it beening so exciting...

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 11:23 - May 20 with 1046 viewsChurchman

How about giving them helmets like NFL players. Could be entertaining.

Seriously, they are not using the heavy footballs used in the 70s and 80s that’d shake your brain and clunk your teeth together when you headed them. It really depends what the science people say about modern equipment impact.
Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 12:00 - May 20 with 1010 viewsKropotkin123

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 11:16 - May 20 by OriginalMarkyP

It is a hard one. Because it's such a defining part of the game.

Obviously players health has to come first, but I remember watching this on TV as a kid and it beening so exciting...

Yeah, no doubt some great headers have been scored over the years. The two that stand out in my memory being Van Persie's diving header and Ronaldo's one/ones where he levitates for about a minute.

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 12:16 - May 20 with 975 viewsmonty_radio

"Following the science" isn't going well. Turns out that just like sociology it can be manipulated to produce whatever conclusion you desire. The risks are obvious, but the frequency/extent of heading required to lead to dementia are going to be very hard to quantify.

Obviously the threat and the clamour are not going away so, in this risk-averse world, a set of limitations will probably emerge such as:

No heading under 18 years of age
No heading outside the penalty area
Any head injury leads immediately to the end of the player's match
Heading only allowed in practice sessions under the same rules, but, additionally, for only a set period of time within the training match.

Every one of these, and any other measures that can be thought up, will be subject to endless debate, but unless we want to see a game which uses hands to bring the ball down above head height, it's a debate that needs to start and conclude soon, or the matter will be taken out of football's own hands.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 12:27 - May 20 with 951 viewsGarv

Maybe I'm being naive here but if you ban heading in football then what happens to Rugby?

Surely you have to accept a certain amount of risk with any sport don't you?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 12:30 - May 20 with 946 viewsdirtyboy

Are we only going to allow body punches in boxing next?

I don't think so, as already said, the ball is nothing like it used to be and we all have risks every day in our workplaces.

That being said, we played 5-a-side with no overhead height for years with no issues....but wouldnt' have stopped me from attempting a header at shin height.
Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 12:36 - May 20 with 935 viewsmaccyd9

Absolutely not and thankfully can't see it ever happening.

I'd like to see the statistics on how many footballers have gone on to suffer illnesses as a result of heading a football in their career where it can be solely attributed to football.

How many in the last 20 years have suffered any change in brain function where footballs have become lighter?

We have to be careful we don't live in a world where every single risk is considered and changed regardless of the outcome.

I'm pretty certain, very few footballers would want this and even less fans. It's part and parcel of the job in my opinion and would change the face of the game forever.

For example, they'd be very little need for big centre backs who are less technical. It'd be easy to name a long list of players almost instantly who have made a career from being a dominating centre back at Town.

What's next, no head punches in boxing? No overarm serves in tennis? Touch tackling in rugby?

What I would say, is that I'd be amazed if there's an issue with this in the future. Gone are the days where players would spend hours heading a ball in training and that's probably the key change, if any, that's need to be looked at.
Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 12:43 - May 20 with 916 viewsMattinLondon

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 12:27 - May 20 by Garv

Maybe I'm being naive here but if you ban heading in football then what happens to Rugby?

Surely you have to accept a certain amount of risk with any sport don't you?

Do they head the ball in rugby?
Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 12:49 - May 20 with 901 viewsmaccyd9

Would you support the banning of heading a football? on 12:43 - May 20 by MattinLondon

Do they head the ball in rugby?

No but there was a recently retired player who was diagnosed with Dementia due to the significant head trauma they receive. He said this was primarily down to training.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024