Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AJ v Fury - looks like it's off 11:14 - May 20 with 2222 viewsHerbivore

Wilder is enforcing his rematch clause and an arbitrator has upheld that Fury has to fight him next. Interestingly despite Team Fury's proclamations of the AJ fight being done, they already had a venue booked for July for a third fight with Wilder. Seems they've not really been negotiating in good faith, and that also tallies with them basically letting Eddie Hearn do all the leg work to make the fight happen. Not sure Fury and his team want the fight as much as they claim to.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:18 - May 20 with 1658 viewsfooters

If it means having Fury Wilder 3 and then AJ Usyk in between, that's not a bad run of fights. Although I really don't know why Wilder wants to go there again - money, of course, but Fury edged the first and we all know what happened in the second. If I were him I'd step aside and make a few million for doing nowt!

Ruiz Wilder would be another good one if the undisputed does go ahead though. And also the Usyk Joyce fight makes sense for Usyk while he's still learning at heavyweight.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:26 - May 20 with 1623 viewsHerbivore

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:18 - May 20 by footers

If it means having Fury Wilder 3 and then AJ Usyk in between, that's not a bad run of fights. Although I really don't know why Wilder wants to go there again - money, of course, but Fury edged the first and we all know what happened in the second. If I were him I'd step aside and make a few million for doing nowt!

Ruiz Wilder would be another good one if the undisputed does go ahead though. And also the Usyk Joyce fight makes sense for Usyk while he's still learning at heavyweight.

Wilder is a bit of a mentalist. He's convinced he only lost the second fight because his costume was heavy. He hasn't realised that Fury basically showed that if you walk him down and don't give him space to wing in a telegraphed right hand then he can't fight for sh!t.

I'm not convinced by Usyk at heavy yet. Not many cruisers step up and do well. He's a talented fighter but does he have the power to deter the top heavies and does he have the whiskers to take their punches? Think he needs a couple more fights before stepping up to elite level.

The AJ v Fury fight needs to happen really, it should happen now. At heavy it only takes one big or lucky punch for plans to go tits up. It does seem that Fury and his team have very quickly accepted that they'll fight Wilder next rather than looking at ways around it, which says a lot.

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:42 - May 20 with 1565 viewsJ2BLUE

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:26 - May 20 by Herbivore

Wilder is a bit of a mentalist. He's convinced he only lost the second fight because his costume was heavy. He hasn't realised that Fury basically showed that if you walk him down and don't give him space to wing in a telegraphed right hand then he can't fight for sh!t.

I'm not convinced by Usyk at heavy yet. Not many cruisers step up and do well. He's a talented fighter but does he have the power to deter the top heavies and does he have the whiskers to take their punches? Think he needs a couple more fights before stepping up to elite level.

The AJ v Fury fight needs to happen really, it should happen now. At heavy it only takes one big or lucky punch for plans to go tits up. It does seem that Fury and his team have very quickly accepted that they'll fight Wilder next rather than looking at ways around it, which says a lot.

It does need to happen but having it in Saudi Arabia has completely ruined it. Two mega rich British fighters going over there for yet more money. Why not fill Wembley?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:45 - May 20 with 1548 viewshype313

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:42 - May 20 by J2BLUE

It does need to happen but having it in Saudi Arabia has completely ruined it. Two mega rich British fighters going over there for yet more money. Why not fill Wembley?

Was watching Dan Rafael and Gareth Davies discussing this on a pod yesterday, basically Wembley at full capacity still can't compete with the money the Saudi's are offering, as sad as it is.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:46 - May 20 with 1545 viewsHerbivore

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:42 - May 20 by J2BLUE

Wembley won't be able to be full for a while yet I imagine. There'll be a rematch clause and I imagine the plan would be for a second fight to take place here. I agree though that it's not ideal by any means, it's a money driven business.

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:46 - May 20 with 1539 viewshype313

If Fury is true to his word when he says belts mean nothing, then he should drop them all to face AJ.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:49 - May 20 with 1527 viewsKropotkin123

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:46 - May 20 by hype313

If Fury is true to his word when he says belts mean nothing, then he should drop them all to face AJ.

Because belts mean more to AJ and he would just try and get Wilder first.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:50 - May 20 with 1525 viewsKropotkin123

Wilder says he wants 20m to step aside. so it depends how much they would be willing to give up on the Fury side of the "purse"

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Login to get fewer ads

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:57 - May 20 with 1491 viewsBloomBlue

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:46 - May 20 by Herbivore

Wembley won't be able to be full for a while yet I imagine. There'll be a rematch clause and I imagine the plan would be for a second fight to take place here. I agree though that it's not ideal by any means, it's a money driven business.

That's what Hearn said on Radio5 a few weeks ago when discussing the fight he said Wembley would have been the preferred choice but they had to assume they wouldn't be allowed a full Wembley and actually at that point they weren't even guaranteed any audience at Wembley. Therefore they were talking to other venues (he said LA was ruled out for the same reason), nothing was confirmed at that point but somewhere in the Middle East was favorite then
AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:58 - May 20 with 1489 viewsHerbivore

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:50 - May 20 by Kropotkin123

Wilder says he wants 20m to step aside. so it depends how much they would be willing to give up on the Fury side of the "purse"

Wilder's camp are saying they want the fight, not step aside money. I'm sure $20m would do it though, that's far more than he's ever earned for actually taking a fight. The Saudis have deep pockets so might cover it, but at the minute it looks like Fury and his camp are quite keen to fight Wilder next. They already had a venue booked for it.

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:10 - May 20 with 1451 viewsKropotkin123

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 11:58 - May 20 by Herbivore

Wilder's camp are saying they want the fight, not step aside money. I'm sure $20m would do it though, that's far more than he's ever earned for actually taking a fight. The Saudis have deep pockets so might cover it, but at the minute it looks like Fury and his camp are quite keen to fight Wilder next. They already had a venue booked for it.

Not sure why you downvoted the AJ comment. He has said for a long time that unifying the belts is a primary aim. He sees it as his legacy.

Here's the first random article from google - https://www.sportingnews.com/au/boxing/news/anthony-joshua-tyson-fury-wbc-heavyw

""I'm keen on getting my hands on" Tyson Fury's WBC title."

"Fighting for the WBC would be an honour. It's a prestigious belt, it's one that I'm keen on getting my hands on."

"But Joshua is eyeing Fury and the full collection of heavyweight championships, telling Sky Sports: "It's always been my wish. Not just the WBC but competing with the toughest challenges that the heavyweight division has to offer."
[Post edited 20 May 2021 12:11]

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:17 - May 20 with 1407 viewsHerbivore

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:10 - May 20 by Kropotkin123

Not sure why you downvoted the AJ comment. He has said for a long time that unifying the belts is a primary aim. He sees it as his legacy.

Here's the first random article from google - https://www.sportingnews.com/au/boxing/news/anthony-joshua-tyson-fury-wbc-heavyw

""I'm keen on getting my hands on" Tyson Fury's WBC title."

"Fighting for the WBC would be an honour. It's a prestigious belt, it's one that I'm keen on getting my hands on."

"But Joshua is eyeing Fury and the full collection of heavyweight championships, telling Sky Sports: "It's always been my wish. Not just the WBC but competing with the toughest challenges that the heavyweight division has to offer."
[Post edited 20 May 2021 12:11]

He wants to unify but as per your quote he also wants to take on the toughest challenges. The idea that he'd go after Wilder instead of Fury if Fury drops the belt is fanciful for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the belt would be unlikely to just be handed to Wilder, he'd likely have to fight Dillian Whyte for it. Secondly, even if the WBC did hand the belt to Wilder, I seriously doubt AJ would want to fight a paper champion coming off a humiliating loss. He'd still be all over the Fury fight.

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:23 - May 20 with 1386 viewsKropotkin123

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:17 - May 20 by Herbivore

He wants to unify but as per your quote he also wants to take on the toughest challenges. The idea that he'd go after Wilder instead of Fury if Fury drops the belt is fanciful for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the belt would be unlikely to just be handed to Wilder, he'd likely have to fight Dillian Whyte for it. Secondly, even if the WBC did hand the belt to Wilder, I seriously doubt AJ would want to fight a paper champion coming off a humiliating loss. He'd still be all over the Fury fight.

Wilder is still a tough challenge (no matter how ordinary Fury's excellent performance made him seem), and when Wilder had the belt AJ was focused on getting him.

Good point about DW though, probably right in that respect.

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:27 - May 20 with 1366 viewsHerbivore

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:23 - May 20 by Kropotkin123

Wilder is still a tough challenge (no matter how ordinary Fury's excellent performance made him seem), and when Wilder had the belt AJ was focused on getting him.

Good point about DW though, probably right in that respect.

Fury is not the first fighter to have made him look ordinary. If Ortiz wasn't about 60 he'd have already exposed Wilder. A fight with Wilder at this point has zero credibility given how easily Fury dispatched him last time. Him being given the belt back (unlikely to happen) wouldn't change that. That's why I'm surprised that Fury's team seem so happy to immediately admit defeat and be pursuing the rematch.

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:28 - May 20 with 1360 viewsBarneycurley

Hes beaten old mate Wilder twice now - nothing to see there of course he wants AJ but he wants it on his terms and rightfully so.

Hes the draw card not plugger Joshua

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:37 - May 20 with 1341 viewsHerbivore

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:28 - May 20 by Barneycurley

Hes beaten old mate Wilder twice now - nothing to see there of course he wants AJ but he wants it on his terms and rightfully so.

Lolz.

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 14:29 - May 20 with 1235 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 12:28 - May 20 by Barneycurley

Disagree.

They are both huge draws. Fighting each other is the biggest fight in the sport by a mile.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 14:34 - May 20 with 1216 viewsHerbivore

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 14:29 - May 20 by The_Romford_Blue

Disagree.

They are both huge draws. Fighting each other is the biggest fight in the sport by a mile.

If we're talking purely in financial and PPV terms then AJ is the bigger draw by a fairly significant margin.

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 14:41 - May 20 with 1200 viewsfooters

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 14:34 - May 20 by Herbivore

If we're talking purely in financial and PPV terms then AJ is the bigger draw by a fairly significant margin.

Fury's probably a bigger draw in the States though, right? Tbh, if you disregard the belt situation it's probably 50/50 really. 60 to the winner, 40 the loser.

I think Fury has the beating of him actually.

Should be a good fight this weekend too with Taylor Ramires.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 14:50 - May 20 with 1178 viewsHerbivore

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 14:41 - May 20 by footers

Fury's probably a bigger draw in the States though, right? Tbh, if you disregard the belt situation it's probably 50/50 really. 60 to the winner, 40 the loser.

I think Fury has the beating of him actually.

Should be a good fight this weekend too with Taylor Ramires.

Not really. The Wilder v Fury fights didn't do all that much business in the US, I don't think the even sold out the arena and that was with a US opponent. They managed about 800k PPV buys, which is reasonable but not amazing given how heavily the fight was promoted.

Fury has had to travel for his three biggest fights precisely because he's not got huge drawing power. AJ has drawn over 1m PPV buys several times now, Fury hasn't managed it once. AJ drew three times as many buys as Fury when he fought Wlad. AJ makes bare coin.

I think AJ is going to bang him, if it ever happens. He's got the size to not be easily dominated by Fury and he's got good enough handspeed and footwork to get through and land. It's an interesting fight though and one where there's no outcome that would be a huge surprise.

Edit - that said, I'm pretty sure they agreed a 50/50 split even though AJ could in theory demand a higher split. That's because he genuinely wants the fight, I'm less convinced Fury is as keen.
[Post edited 20 May 2021 14:51]

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 20:25 - May 20 with 1012 viewsChrisd

Who honestly wants to see Fury vs Wilder III? Unless Wilder has improved significantly over the last 15 months while he’s remained non-active, the bloke can’t box and Fury showed up those limitations in both their previous contests. I find it laughable that this announcement is made, just days after the confirmation of the AJ vs Fury contest. To me, it’s like boxing is deliberately putting up barriers so we don’t have a unified heavyweight champion. I can only speak for me, but I’m sick and tired of this shadow boxing, we’ve all waited long enough, any other contest is just not worth bothering with whether that’s Wilder, Ruiz, Uysk or Whyte. Fury and AJ need to sort out first who is the real heavyweight No.1, the sideshows should be put on hold for the integrity of heavyweight boxing.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 20:43 - May 20 with 979 viewsJ2BLUE

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 20:25 - May 20 by Chrisd

Who honestly wants to see Fury vs Wilder III? Unless Wilder has improved significantly over the last 15 months while he’s remained non-active, the bloke can’t box and Fury showed up those limitations in both their previous contests. I find it laughable that this announcement is made, just days after the confirmation of the AJ vs Fury contest. To me, it’s like boxing is deliberately putting up barriers so we don’t have a unified heavyweight champion. I can only speak for me, but I’m sick and tired of this shadow boxing, we’ve all waited long enough, any other contest is just not worth bothering with whether that’s Wilder, Ruiz, Uysk or Whyte. Fury and AJ need to sort out first who is the real heavyweight No.1, the sideshows should be put on hold for the integrity of heavyweight boxing.

Why does boxing need multiple world champions anyway? I'm sure none of them want to concede any control but surely if you hold one belt and the other guy holds three you're not really world champion...

With that said i'd like to see Whyte win a world title. Never warmed to AJ and love to see Whyte fight him again and win somewhere down the line. I like Usyk as well.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 20:55 - May 20 with 963 viewsChrisd

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 20:43 - May 20 by J2BLUE

Why does boxing need multiple world champions anyway? I'm sure none of them want to concede any control but surely if you hold one belt and the other guy holds three you're not really world champion...

With that said i'd like to see Whyte win a world title. Never warmed to AJ and love to see Whyte fight him again and win somewhere down the line. I like Usyk as well.

I’d like to see Whyte fight Wilder, that would be a tasty encounter. For me, Uysk needs to prove himself more at the heavyweight level he’s had a couple of fights and not been that impressive since stepping up. I scratch my head how he can come straight into the heavyweight division, be ranked so highly by the various boxing boards and yet to fully prove his credentials against serious opponents. Although he beat Chisora, it wasn’t that convincing, Chisora for all his heart and durability is probably a couple of steps down from being an elite level fighter IMO.
[Post edited 20 May 2021 20:58]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 22:53 - May 20 with 860 viewsBarneycurley

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 14:50 - May 20 by Herbivore

Not really. The Wilder v Fury fights didn't do all that much business in the US, I don't think the even sold out the arena and that was with a US opponent. They managed about 800k PPV buys, which is reasonable but not amazing given how heavily the fight was promoted.

Fury has had to travel for his three biggest fights precisely because he's not got huge drawing power. AJ has drawn over 1m PPV buys several times now, Fury hasn't managed it once. AJ drew three times as many buys as Fury when he fought Wlad. AJ makes bare coin.

I think AJ is going to bang him, if it ever happens. He's got the size to not be easily dominated by Fury and he's got good enough handspeed and footwork to get through and land. It's an interesting fight though and one where there's no outcome that would be a huge surprise.

Edit - that said, I'm pretty sure they agreed a 50/50 split even though AJ could in theory demand a higher split. That's because he genuinely wants the fight, I'm less convinced Fury is as keen.
[Post edited 20 May 2021 14:51]

He hasn't genuinely wanted lots of fights, he's dodged plenty of opportunities going the easy routes - or so he thought.

He got exposed by ARJ and he will be schooled by Fury - when the fighters are relatively comparable brains beat brawn every time. Fury is a smart boxer and he'll show it given the chance.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 23:00 - May 20 with 848 viewsHerbivore

AJ v Fury - looks like it's off on 22:53 - May 20 by Barneycurley

He hasn't genuinely wanted lots of fights, he's dodged plenty of opportunities going the easy routes - or so he thought.

He got exposed by ARJ and he will be schooled by Fury - when the fighters are relatively comparable brains beat brawn every time. Fury is a smart boxer and he'll show it given the chance.

Which opportunities has he dodged? That's a hot take.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024