Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player dedication and Ipswich Town 10:12 - May 21 with 2416 viewsTieDyedIn95

We all remember when Shane Supple retired and let slip some players weren't interested in having success here, and were dreading the thought of playing in the Playoffs as it would interrupt their holiday plans.

The reasons I bring this up is I have seen the images and banter doing the rounds on social media of a number of our first team squad already on holiday with each other, some of which are the released (or soon to be sold) players. Now while I have no issue with people taking a holiday after a hard years work and what not, the 2020-21 season is not even over at this stage, I was wondering with Covid and what not doing the rounds how early would the guys have to have booked these trips in advance?

I know we haven't looked like reaching the Playoffs for months but still, if they did book these trips when we were still technically within a shout of getting Playoffs and promotion, that may at least explain some of the lack of urgency in the play towards the end of the season.

If that were the case then Paul Cook coming in and ripping up that culture is definitely a good thing. I could be wrong and they all booked last minute flights to Portugal (which is where I think they are) but I don't know if you can actually do that right now.
[Post edited 21 May 2021 10:14]

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:15 - May 21 with 2362 viewsSouperJim

Pretty sure you can get a flight to Portugal for about £20 at the drop of a hat right now.

Edit: in fact a 2 minute look on google tells me I can book a holiday in Portugal flying out as soon as tomorrow if I feel so inclined. So your theory is pretty much dead in the water.
[Post edited 21 May 2021 10:20]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:16 - May 21 with 2337 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

"Hard years work" - guffaw.
Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:16 - May 21 with 2346 viewsmaccyd9

As much as I'm not a fan of Norwood and Bishop and would not be sad to see them both moved on, I think you are over thinking this. They are entitled to a break like anyone else.

That said, I would much prefer to see insta pictures of our players from a Gym or showing that the hard work for next season starts now.

Especially those two who have poor fitness records. It's a short career and everything is put under the microscope, sometimes they just need to play the game a bit.
Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:20 - May 21 with 2289 viewschrismakin

Problem we have had for many years is buying the wrong players for the aim of the club

Under mick it was players who could get a draw out of games and be happy

Under Hurst lower league players who hadnt even played the level we needed

Cook... needs players who could all lead. Want to win absolutely every game we play and hurt when we dont. Be ready for the next level before we even make it there.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:22 - May 21 with 2269 viewschrismakin

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:16 - May 21 by maccyd9

As much as I'm not a fan of Norwood and Bishop and would not be sad to see them both moved on, I think you are over thinking this. They are entitled to a break like anyone else.

That said, I would much prefer to see insta pictures of our players from a Gym or showing that the hard work for next season starts now.

Especially those two who have poor fitness records. It's a short career and everything is put under the microscope, sometimes they just need to play the game a bit.

Entitled to a break..Norwood had more than most players other than KVY lol.

O would say the walking should do him well. But the booze will probably counter it. *

Disclaimer. If he drinks

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:26 - May 21 with 2240 viewsJammyDodgerrr

They have a lot of money so booking things at incredibly short notice doesn't affect them. Pretty straightforward.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:29 - May 21 with 2207 viewsPositivelyPortman

Jaysus mate.
It’s a bit sad following possibly ex Town players and their every movement on social media and then reporting it on here to stir things up.
Let it go love.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:29 - May 21 with 2205 viewstractorboy1978

Social media is the issue here. I have absolutely no idea why people need to constantly publicise everything they are doing, but it is even more daft for professional footballers who know they get scrutinised by keyboard warriors for everything they do (reasonable and unreasonable).

A decade ago players went and got pissed in Marbella and nobody knew about it or even cared.
[Post edited 21 May 2021 10:31]
Login to get fewer ads

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:37 - May 21 with 2110 viewsSamWhiteUK

Norwood has already been posting pictures of his muscle therapy that he's been having, to be fair
Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:47 - May 21 with 2000 viewsBlueBadger

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:37 - May 21 by SamWhiteUK

Norwood has already been posting pictures of his muscle therapy that he's been having, to be fair

Latest progress:

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:56 - May 21 with 1945 viewsabracaDOBRA_

They booked it last minute. Norwood quote tweeted the hotel when they opened their doors last week after being allowed due to COVID. It hasn't been open until just recently so wouldn't have been able to book
Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:21 - May 21 with 1744 viewsitfcjoe

In fairness to those two, Norwood has been posting pictures of muscle therapy he’s having and Bishop is often on Instagram showing pictures of him in the gym.

Thibk people over analyse what is a 4-5 day break fro players at the end of a tough season where it’s been Saturday-Tuesday for the last few montha

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:22 - May 21 with 1726 viewsitfcjoe

When we were in the play offs last, both Murphy and McGoldrick moved house in the days leading up to one of the legs, and another player had to cancel their wedding

Everything is totally over analysed

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:45 - May 21 with 1530 viewsMattinLondon

Supple retired in 2009 the issues he highlighted, though related, aren’t the same that affect the team now.

Holidays are cheap and most companies are desperate for bums on aeroplanes that they would happily have rearranged the players booked holidays for two, three, four weeks later. For all we know the players on holiday only booked them two weeks ago.

There are many sticks to beat the players with but not on going on a beach holiday.
Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:46 - May 21 with 1518 viewsMattinLondon

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:22 - May 21 by itfcjoe

When we were in the play offs last, both Murphy and McGoldrick moved house in the days leading up to one of the legs, and another player had to cancel their wedding

Everything is totally over analysed

Totally agree. Players have a life outside of football and so make plans and rearrange plans depending on schedules.
Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:49 - May 21 with 1507 viewsBlueySwede

That statement from Supple was in 2009. A lot of water has crossed under the bridge since then. I don´t think Mick would have tolerated players being more interested in holidays than reaching the playoffs.
Also I don´t think Supple meant every player at the club was like that.
I don´t believe for one minute that our players haven´t cared or tried because of early holiday plans. More to do with poor confidence and realising that you probably aren´t good enough and won´t be on the journey with Cook and the new owners.
I wish them a good holiday.
Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:52 - May 21 with 1479 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

What?! A few mates have gone on a golf break to Portugal for a couple of days at the end of the season?????!!!!!

BURN THEM
[Post edited 21 May 2021 11:53]
Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:57 - May 21 with 1425 viewsTieDyedIn95

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:29 - May 21 by PositivelyPortman

Jaysus mate.
It’s a bit sad following possibly ex Town players and their every movement on social media and then reporting it on here to stir things up.
Let it go love.

Just seen what's being shared, hardly following it but using the question, which I think is a fair one, to have a personal dig at me says more about you and your mind to be honest.

You are trying to stir it here, not me.

Grow up.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:58 - May 21 with 1405 viewsTieDyedIn95

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 10:56 - May 21 by abracaDOBRA_

They booked it last minute. Norwood quote tweeted the hotel when they opened their doors last week after being allowed due to COVID. It hasn't been open until just recently so wouldn't have been able to book

That's all I was really interested in. I don't know what the state with the UK-EU booking up due to the Covid as I remembered there were some restrictions.

Are they even testing people coming to and from the UK?

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 12:00 - May 21 with 1352 viewsMattinLondon

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:58 - May 21 by TieDyedIn95

That's all I was really interested in. I don't know what the state with the UK-EU booking up due to the Covid as I remembered there were some restrictions.

Are they even testing people coming to and from the UK?

Does it really matter when they booked their holidays?
Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 12:16 - May 21 with 1280 viewsonemarcusstewart

Richie Wellens said same thing 3 years later

Wellens: Town Players Don't Care 29th Oct 2012 09:08
Loan midfielder Richie Wellens laid into Town’s permanent signings after Saturday’s dismal defeat to Sheffield Wednesday, claiming he and his fellow temporary signings are the only ones who care. Caretaker-manager Chris Hutchings similarly pointed the finger at players in his post-match press conference after the game. 139

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 12:42 - May 21 with 1155 viewsBryanPlug

Player dedication and Ipswich Town on 11:45 - May 21 by MattinLondon

Supple retired in 2009 the issues he highlighted, though related, aren’t the same that affect the team now.

Holidays are cheap and most companies are desperate for bums on aeroplanes that they would happily have rearranged the players booked holidays for two, three, four weeks later. For all we know the players on holiday only booked them two weeks ago.

There are many sticks to beat the players with but not on going on a beach holiday.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024