Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pat Nevin 18:44 - May 23 with 1250 viewsWickwar_Blue

Currently reading Pat Nevin’s autobiography “The Accidental Footballer”. He’s always been one of my favourite pundits on 5 Live and obviously I knew about his love of alternative music. (There’s some great bits including where he meets Morrissey.

What I didn’t know was that we nearly signed him. He had a week’s trial and even (as a 17 year old) had a time training with the first time team (where he revelled in a battle with Terry Butcher.) SBR was 50/50 about offering him a contract because, at the time, we had a Gatesy in the team (Nevin was a number 10 at the time rather than a winger). He told Bobby that he wasn’t even sure he wanted to become a professional footballer...... pity as he was a cracking winger.
Pat Nevin on 18:54 - May 23 with 1186 viewsBarcaBlue

I remember him as a big Joy Division fan at a time when just about all footballers would list Phil Collins or Dire Staits as their favourite music in the programme fact files. They all liked steak & chips too.
Pat Nevin on 00:09 - May 24 with 904 views66notout

Pat Nevin on 18:54 - May 23 by BarcaBlue

I remember him as a big Joy Division fan at a time when just about all footballers would list Phil Collins or Dire Staits as their favourite music in the programme fact files. They all liked steak & chips too.

And Muhammad Ali was the person they most wanted to meet.
Pat Nevin on 07:18 - May 24 with 800 viewshype313

Pat Nevin on 00:09 - May 24 by 66notout

And Muhammad Ali was the person they most wanted to meet.

And favourite TV show was Only Fools and Horses.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Pat Nevin on 07:19 - May 24 with 799 viewsdocklandsblue

I haven’t read the book yet, but I’ve worked with him a fair bit over the years.

The best story I’ve ever heard him tell is the time he made it a condition of a contract extension that he would be subbed at half time in a pre season game so he could dash off to a gig. He attended in full kit with a Mac over the top (I think it was The Fall - but I could be wrong).

He also said he used to routinely fly to Scotland for midweek gigs breaking curfew, because back in the day without phones and social media, the club would never find out or believe anyone who told them.

He is a top bloke and always gets his round in too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024