Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No Alexander-Arnold in England squad 08:44 - May 24 with 2992 viewsMaySixth

Baffling IMO

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 08:48 - May 24 with 2633 viewsCrockerITFC

Has it been announced?
No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 08:58 - May 24 with 2558 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't think any squad has been announced?

As I understand it, the rationale is that TAA isn't a very good defender, but great going forward. Liverpool have a system which can accommodate that, but possibly England don't?

We also have lots of good options in the position.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:01 - May 24 with 2530 viewsMrTown

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 08:58 - May 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

I don't think any squad has been announced?

As I understand it, the rationale is that TAA isn't a very good defender, but great going forward. Liverpool have a system which can accommodate that, but possibly England don't?

We also have lots of good options in the position.

That would be my thought process personally on it.

I think he's very good going forward, but can be exposed defensively.

I don't think it's a huge problem as it will be made out if TAA isn't taken, as you rightly say, we have many options there, I think Trippier and Walker will be the ones taken.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:03 - May 24 with 2512 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:01 - May 24 by MrTown

I don't think it's a huge problem as it will be made out if TAA isn't taken, as you rightly say, we have many options there, I think Trippier and Walker will be the ones taken.

Also Reece James and Wan-bissaka as options.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:05 - May 24 with 2474 viewsMetal_Hacker

Two RB's and one who can double up as an emergency CB or part of a three at the back,both of who have just won their respective league titles - I'm quite happy with the decision IF this is the case

Poll: If it were one or the other

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:07 - May 24 with 2442 viewschicoazul

I’d be amazed if he doesn’t go but Southgate does like Walker who can play in a couple of roles. And Trippier just won La Liga.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:11 - May 24 with 2397 viewsKropotkin123

I've been reading, rather than watching. But people have said Trippier had an excellent season and he appears to be first choice on form. I'd prefer were people picked on merit, rather than historically good performances. So I have no issues with leaving TAA out. He'd obviously walk into the vast majority of teams, so it's nothing against TAA, who I think is a fantastic player.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:15 - May 24 with 2366 viewsrickw

I think James will go too as we have a 26 man squad.

Personally I'd take TAA + AWB - the best attacking of the 5 and the best defensive one, the other 3 are perhaps more rounded players but are much of the same - there's no tactical reason to sub one for another

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Login to get fewer ads

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:20 - May 24 with 2326 viewsBlueBlood90

I agree.

Trent is our best right back by some distance.

Genuinely baffles me how Kyle Walker plays every week at City. He's so poor.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:24 - May 24 with 2295 viewstractordownsouth

Hasn’t been announced but David Ornstein reckons this is true and he’s usually bang on. Apparently it’s Walker, Trippier and James going. I don’t really understand that.

As I said on another thread, I think you choose 1 of Walker/James, 1 of Trent/Trippier and then take Wan-Bissaka as a defensive option if you have 3 right backs. Don’t see the need to have both Walker and James as they both do the same job.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:35 - May 24 with 2207 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:24 - May 24 by tractordownsouth

Hasn’t been announced but David Ornstein reckons this is true and he’s usually bang on. Apparently it’s Walker, Trippier and James going. I don’t really understand that.

As I said on another thread, I think you choose 1 of Walker/James, 1 of Trent/Trippier and then take Wan-Bissaka as a defensive option if you have 3 right backs. Don’t see the need to have both Walker and James as they both do the same job.

I think this is going to be over blown as an issue.

Story is we have 5 very good right backs and a couple will miss out. Meh.

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:36 - May 24 with 2188 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:20 - May 24 by BlueBlood90

I agree.

Trent is our best right back by some distance.

Genuinely baffles me how Kyle Walker plays every week at City. He's so poor.

He isn't though.

He's great going forward, but suspect as a defender.

Walker isn't poor.

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:41 - May 24 with 2155 viewsI_LOVE_GOLLOB

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:36 - May 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

He isn't though.

He's great going forward, but suspect as a defender.

Walker isn't poor.

Totally agree..

Why have a defender, in a defence, when he can't defend. And Walker for me all day long.

Poll: How would you kill a budgie?

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:49 - May 24 with 2064 viewsSwansea_Blue

Chambo misses out again then

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:55 - May 24 with 2007 viewsclive_baker

Predictable, given Gareth clearly doesn't rate him, but still an odd one IMO. Despite our strength at right back, TAA is versatile, can play left or right, could even sit in front of the defence if needs must. I would've thought he would be an ideal squad player.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:58 - May 24 with 1968 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:55 - May 24 by clive_baker

Predictable, given Gareth clearly doesn't rate him, but still an odd one IMO. Despite our strength at right back, TAA is versatile, can play left or right, could even sit in front of the defence if needs must. I would've thought he would be an ideal squad player.

I'm not sure TAA can play on the left, and we are not short of options there either, same with CDM.

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:01 - May 24 with 1934 viewshoppy

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:49 - May 24 by Swansea_Blue

Chambo misses out again then

Probably to give him time for sorting a new club out. Southgate has been more than fair with him on that.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:10 - May 24 with 1878 viewsMrTown

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:11 - May 24 by Kropotkin123

I've been reading, rather than watching. But people have said Trippier had an excellent season and he appears to be first choice on form. I'd prefer were people picked on merit, rather than historically good performances. So I have no issues with leaving TAA out. He'd obviously walk into the vast majority of teams, so it's nothing against TAA, who I think is a fantastic player.

No I agree, I think TAA is a terrific footballer, has achieved so much at such a young age, but I do think his form has dipped, Liverpool and England do play in different ways, and TAA is suspect defensively imo.

If I'm picking my team tomorrow Trippier starts. I think he has had such a good season at Athletico. Also a very good deliver of the ball and free kick taker in his own right.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:13 - May 24 with 1873 viewsitfcjoe

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:24 - May 24 by tractordownsouth

If TAA doesn't go - the 3 who presumably do will be Walker, James and Trippier. The former two will be the starting RBs in the CL final, and the other has just won La Liga.

All have been good for England, and taken the chances here. TAA is excellent for Liverpool, but he hasn't done it for England for one reason or another. Wan-Bissaka offers zero going forwards.

Just feels like getting back to the days of having lots of quality in each position, which means quality players will miss out - and those who are a better fit for England in style of play, or personality, or whatever Southgate is selecting on, will get the nod.

People make too much about club form, it's obviously important, but it isn't going to make you usurp players who have been good for England previously

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:15 - May 24 with 1839 viewsJakeITFC

James going over Alexander-Arnold is an absolute travesty.
No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:20 - May 24 with 1799 viewsLankHenners

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:55 - May 24 by clive_baker

Southgate very much someone who likes players he can trust. Not to say TAA is untrustworthy but Trippier and Walker have always performed well for England and are much more defensively secure than TAA.

Given that it’s not a huge shock if he doesn’t play, no matter what people like Gary Linekar try and say. Even so, there’s a strong argument for him being in the squad as there may be a time late on in a knockout match we need to load the box with crosses and having someone of TAA’s ability to do that would be a useful asset. Similarly, Jack Grealish’s ability to win set pieces is a very useful weapon to have in knockout football, even if his path to starting is blocked by others.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:34 - May 24 with 1684 viewsshamboy

I love TAA as a player as he can be marvellously progressive and delivers the ball brilliantly BUT he has had a poor season by the standard he set himself and there was a stage in the mid season when he lost his way so that even his strengths became a challenge. He seems to be on his way back to where he was, and we will see if he gets the trip.
No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:45 - May 24 with 1603 viewsmikeybloo88

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 09:58 - May 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not sure TAA can play on the left, and we are not short of options there either, same with CDM.

What we are short of though is players who can put in the quality of delivery which TAA does...for that reason alone I'd take him as an option to put on if we're chasing a goal. For me Walker and James also go as they can both play as a speedy right sided cb if required. Trippier doesn't do it for me....
No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:47 - May 24 with 1572 viewstractordownsouth

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:13 - May 24 by itfcjoe

If TAA doesn't go - the 3 who presumably do will be Walker, James and Trippier. The former two will be the starting RBs in the CL final, and the other has just won La Liga.

All have been good for England, and taken the chances here. TAA is excellent for Liverpool, but he hasn't done it for England for one reason or another. Wan-Bissaka offers zero going forwards.

Just feels like getting back to the days of having lots of quality in each position, which means quality players will miss out - and those who are a better fit for England in style of play, or personality, or whatever Southgate is selecting on, will get the nod.

People make too much about club form, it's obviously important, but it isn't going to make you usurp players who have been good for England previously

I don't agree with Trent not going but you could make a case for AWB or Tripper over him, not Reece James though.

Agreed on the second point, sod's law with positional imbalance. We have the first choice RBs from Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Atletico and two of them won't get in the squad, yet we'll end up with Jordan Pickford starting. Similar to the mid 2000s where we'd have Sol Campbell on the bench and Paul Scholes out of position but Paul Robinson in the first XI.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:47 - May 24 with 1568 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No Alexander-Arnold in England squad on 10:45 - May 24 by mikeybloo88

What we are short of though is players who can put in the quality of delivery which TAA does...for that reason alone I'd take him as an option to put on if we're chasing a goal. For me Walker and James also go as they can both play as a speedy right sided cb if required. Trippier doesn't do it for me....

Like others have said, he does that for Liverpool... not so much this season, but hasnt replicated it for England.

Im not too fussed really. Dont mind if he goes, dont mind if he doesnt.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024