Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Big Match Revisited 12:22 - May 29 with 2024 views66notout

Just came across this on ITV 4. It’s our FA Cup sixth round defeat at Everton in 1980. Warky played despite missing the previous week’s 6-0 win over Manchester United because his father had just died. He wasn’t right and Sir Bob sent on The Beat and he famously headed in when he climbed above the crossbar and nodded down into the net.
[Post edited 29 May 2021 12:25]
The Big Match Revisited on 12:30 - May 29 with 1987 viewsLord_Lucan

Best thing about that game was when they had a minutes silence before the start and 8000 Ipswich fans were singing "Dixie Dean, Dixie Dean, can you hear us in your box"

These days the reaction would be a 20 pager of how awful that was.

Pretty glad I'm in the twilight of my life to be honest, the current generation are boring enough, I dread to think what the next lot will be like.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Big Match Revisited on 12:39 - May 29 with 1943 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Big Match Revisited on 12:30 - May 29 by Lord_Lucan

Best thing about that game was when they had a minutes silence before the start and 8000 Ipswich fans were singing "Dixie Dean, Dixie Dean, can you hear us in your box"

Pretty glad I'm in the twilight of my life to be honest, the current generation are boring enough, I dread to think what the next lot will be like.

We played them again in the sixth round at Goodison five years later and Harry Catterick died of a heart attack just after the game.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Big Match Revisited on 13:59 - May 29 with 1792 viewsChurchman

I didn’t go to the game, but I was absolutely gutted we lost. I’d seen all our home games and a number of the away ones. We were in really good form and murdered Everton only month before. I was sure we’d win or at least get a replay. Oh well.
The Big Match Revisited on 14:05 - May 29 with 1785 viewsMattinLondon

The Big Match Revisited on 12:30 - May 29 by Lord_Lucan

Back then football was football...players went on the piss the night before, you could actually break someone’s legs and get way with it, you could throw bananas at black players, pitches were just mud, and stadiums were giant urinals. Ah, takes be back.

Actually, glad those days are over.
The Big Match Revisited on 14:13 - May 29 with 1772 viewsLord_Lucan

The Big Match Revisited on 14:05 - May 29 by MattinLondon

Back then football was football...players went on the piss the night before, you could actually break someone’s legs and get way with it, you could throw bananas at black players, pitches were just mud, and stadiums were giant urinals. Ah, takes be back.

Oh don't be such a tart.

No one is glorifying bananas being thrown so stop trying to impose sh1t that isn't there - just for the glorification of an uppie from an associated gaggle of big girls blouses.

Ipswich crew back then was a melting pot of races and we lived in racial harmony - as the song goes, Ipswich lives in racial harmony. I am proud to have been a part of that whole scene. If you weren't there at the time you won't understand it but some of the older guys will - especially madmouse who occasionally pops up on here as he was a big honkie presence with the brothers.

Whilst other teams fans were visiting PR to Sieg Heil because they knew that our lads were black and white we stuck it to them. We didn't need to bang on about a load of sh1t, we just got on with it and we were a band of brothers.

British Movement turned up big time once and they got booted out of town with no mistake, battered and bruised they were. The Falcon boys were the deal - so don't come on here and preach to me about a load of sh1te.

I am proud to say I have the tee shirt.
[Post edited 29 May 2021 22:38]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

The Big Match Revisited on 14:35 - May 29 with 1719 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I remember it being a bloody lively and long walk back to the station.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

The Big Match Revisited on 14:44 - May 29 with 1691 viewsLord_Lucan

The Big Match Revisited on 14:35 - May 29 by StochesStotasBlewe

I remember it being a bloody lively and long walk back to the station.

Yeah that was crazy.

All those scousers on Stanley Park with their Stanley knifes. God knows what would have happened if we had won.

Police brutality at it's finest as well, truncheons dished out to innocent Ipswich scarfers and their families. Brutal stuff. Merseyside Babylon excelled The Met back then.

The Big Match Revisited on 14:46 - May 29 with 1674 viewsMattinLondon

The Big Match Revisited on 14:13 - May 29 by Lord_Lucan

Oh don't be such a tart.

No one is glorifying bananas being thrown so stop trying to impose sh1t that isn't there - just for the glorification of an uppie from an associated gaggle of big girls blouses.

Ipswich crew back then was a melting pot of races and we lived in racial harmony - as the song goes, Ipswich lives in racial harmony. I am proud to have been a part of that whole scene. If you weren't there at the time you won't understand it but some of the older guys will - especially madmouse who occasionally pops up on here as he was a big honkie presence with the brothers.

Whilst other teams fans were visiting PR to Sieg Heil because they knew that our lads were black and white we stuck it to them. We didn't need to bang on about a load of sh1t, we just got on with it and we were a band of brothers.

British Movement turned up big time once and they got booted out of town with no mistake, battered and bruised they were. The Falcon boys were the deal - so don't come on here and preach to me about a load of sh1te.

But I like being a tart.
Login to get fewer ads

The Big Match Revisited on 14:47 - May 29 with 1671 viewsLord_Lucan

The Big Match Revisited on 14:46 - May 29 by MattinLondon

But I like being a tart.

What you doing next Thursday?

The Big Match Revisited on 14:52 - May 29 with 1652 viewsChurchman

The Big Match Revisited on 14:05 - May 29 by MattinLondon

That’s a very strange comment. Nobody is endorsing the racism, dangerous stadia, awful facilities or the over the top tackle.

The game was very different in every way. Plenty has changed since then that’s brilliant including ending the above. However there is lots thats changed I don’t agree with and don’t like. It’s the way of things.
The Big Match Revisited on 15:01 - May 29 with 1621 viewsMattinLondon

The Big Match Revisited on 14:47 - May 29 by Lord_Lucan

What you doing next Thursday?

Washing my hair.
The Big Match Revisited on 15:17 - May 29 with 1603 viewsjontysnut

The Big Match Revisited on 14:44 - May 29 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah that was crazy.

All those scousers on Stanley Park with their Stanley knifes. God knows what would have happened if we had won.

Police brutality at it's finest as well, truncheons dished out to innocent Ipswich scarfers and their families. Brutal stuff. Merseyside Babylon excelled The Met back then.

I remember bouncing along at Lime Street singing we are the blues, we are the blues.. before Merseyside's finest started whacking people. Marched to the ground and scary bus ride back with rumours of stabbings, slashings etc. Long old special train ride back.
The Big Match Revisited on 15:48 - May 29 with 1552 viewsLord_Lucan

The Big Match Revisited on 15:01 - May 29 by MattinLondon

Washing my hair.

And by the way, I apologise if I came across a bit narky - It was completely uncalled for - but I have a bee in a bonnet about things like this. I grew up when racism was 100% worse than it is now, I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.

Whilst I completely agree that there is a kind of inbuilt racism to this day in many aspects of life I refuse to be beaten with a stick because I don't make it my goal to headline it at every opportunity. In my very humble opinion I believe the only tackle to beat racism is time - and this seems to be working to a point. If you never grew up in the 70's and 80's then you actually have no insight to how far we have moved on.

If a black man wants to highlight racism to me then he can bend my ears for as long as he wants and I will happily pay for the beers all night. If a white man feels the need to drone on then he can do one of two things, he can either feck right off or do something worthwhile behind the scenes - as I believe my son is doing and fair play to him.
[Post edited 29 May 2021 22:46]

The Big Match Revisit on 15:49 - May 29 with 1547 viewsgarygboltonblue

Oh don't be such a tart.

Agree lord although I have to say one of the worst away days I have experienced: I went with a group of guy’s from Bures ,Tiptree and Colchester in 2 cars,

When near the ground we got directed down a side street when we looked behind us there was a gang of Everton fans who just ran at us the, coppers with their extra long truncheons stood at the top end of the street watching as I like to think battle ensued but in reality it was survival happy days.
The Big Match Revisited on 15:58 - May 29 with 1524 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The Big Match Revisited on 15:01 - May 29 by MattinLondon

Washing my hair.

Thats not what you said to me.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The Big Match Revisited on 17:01 - May 29 with 1441 viewsyesjohn99

Oh don't be such a tart.

You’ve ticked all the boxes there.
The Big Match Revisited on 19:03 - May 29 with 1341 viewsBlueastheycome

The Big Match Revisited on 15:48 - May 29 by Lord_Lucan

And by the way, I apologise if I came across a bit narky - It was completely uncalled for - but I have a bee in a bonnet about things like this. I grew up when racism was 100% worse than it is now, I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.

Whilst I completely agree that there is a kind of inbuilt racism to this day in many aspects of life I refuse to be beaten with a stick because I don't make it my goal to headline it at every opportunity. In my very humble opinion I believe the only tackle to beat racism is time - and this seems to be working to a point. If you never grew up in the 70's and 80's then you actually have no insight to how far we have moved on.

If a black man wants to highlight racism to me then he can bend my ears for as long as he wants and I will happily pay for the beers all night. If a white man feels the need to drone on then he can do one of two things, he can either feck right off or do something worthwhile behind the scenes - as I believe my son is doing and fair play to him.

I think you should have given this gentleman a chance (or a ‘virtual’ round of beers as you stated it) rather than shooting him down
[Post edited 29 May 2021 19:04]
The Big Match Revisited on 19:20 - May 29 with 1305 viewsLord_Lucan

The Big Match Revisited on 19:03 - May 29 by Blueastheycome

I think you should have given this gentleman a chance (or a ‘virtual’ round of beers as you stated it) rather than shooting him down
[Post edited 29 May 2021 19:04]

I did apologise for being Narky.

The Big Match Revisited on 19:23 - May 29 with 1302 viewsfooters

The Big Match Revisited on 19:20 - May 29 by Lord_Lucan

I did apologise for being Narky.

What was the thinking behind disturbing the minute's silence though, that's the bit I don't get. Obviously am missing something there as a spring chicken...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Big Match Revisited on 12:34 - May 30 with 963 viewsbournemouthblue

This one seems to get repeated a lot, rather than our semi final win against West Brom for example

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Big Match Revisited on 12:42 - May 30 with 951 viewsDarth_Koont

The Big Match Revisited on 15:48 - May 29 by Lord_Lucan

An element of time, yes. But there’s no excuse for decades to pass or that racism becomes more subtle and structural instead.

If we’re vigilant and honest with each other and ourselves then racism can be more quickly called out and sidelined.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Big Match Revisited on 12:43 - May 30 with 944 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Big Match Revisited on 12:34 - May 30 by bournemouthblue

This one seems to get repeated a lot, rather than our semi final win against West Brom for example

Was the WBA semi covered by ITV though? I couldn't remember the commentary from it so looked on You Tube and found this but the commentary feels like it's been added on and not the original.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Big Match Revisited on 12:58 - May 30 with 916 viewsChurchman

The Big Match Revisited on 12:43 - May 30 by gainsboroughblue

Was the WBA semi covered by ITV though? I couldn't remember the commentary from it so looked on You Tube and found this but the commentary feels like it's been added on and not the original.

No, I remember jubilantly watching the highlights on Match of the Day, so suspect it was BBC only.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024