Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... 09:33 - Jun 1 with 5795 viewsBloots

....people that can't pronounce the word "ask/asked".

Highlighted by Darren Bent on TalkSport this morning.

When did "Arks" and "Arksed" become commonplace?

He's not even "youth".

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:35 - Jun 1 with 2748 viewsfooters

Just West Indian tingz, innit?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:36 - Jun 1 with 2735 viewsfabian_illness

Mine is when TWTD posters change the title of their reply to make a point.
Only eejts, perverts and deviants on 09:40 - Jun 1 with 2695 viewsKeno

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:36 - Jun 1 by fabian_illness

Mine is when TWTD posters change the title of their reply to make a point.

do that

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:42 - Jun 1 with 2685 viewsclive_baker

Not sure what Bent's heritage is but I've noticed it of Jamaican people specifically. Not sure why, presumably 'ask' is hard to pronounce. My old colleague said it, and one of my friends is of Jamaican descent and he says it. Although curiously he says asking, not arksing. But arks instead of ask. Not sure it has anything to do with youth though, I've heard proper Brixton Caribbean oldies saying aks when I lived there.

Not as annoying as a friend who says 'generally' ever other word. Especially as I think he means 'genuinely', which would be equally as annoying, but at least make more sense.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:42 - Jun 1 with 2677 viewschicoazul

Could of

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

In on 09:43 - Jun 1 with 2667 viewsDarth_Koont

Only eejts, perverts and deviants on 09:40 - Jun 1 by Keno

do that

deed

Pronouns: He/Him

Only eejts, perverts and deviants on 09:43 - Jun 1 with 2664 viewsGuthrum

Only eejts, perverts and deviants on 09:40 - Jun 1 by Keno

do that

Oh. I shall have to start doing that, then.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Only eejts, perverts and deviants on 09:47 - Jun 1 with 2621 viewsfactual_blue

Only eejts, perverts and deviants on 09:43 - Jun 1 by Guthrum

Oh. I shall have to start doing that, then.

But you're not an eejit.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:51 - Jun 1 with 2596 viewsEwan_Oozami

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:42 - Jun 1 by clive_baker

Not sure what Bent's heritage is but I've noticed it of Jamaican people specifically. Not sure why, presumably 'ask' is hard to pronounce. My old colleague said it, and one of my friends is of Jamaican descent and he says it. Although curiously he says asking, not arksing. But arks instead of ask. Not sure it has anything to do with youth though, I've heard proper Brixton Caribbean oldies saying aks when I lived there.

Not as annoying as a friend who says 'generally' ever other word. Especially as I think he means 'genuinely', which would be equally as annoying, but at least make more sense.

Born in Tooting....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

I'm sure it fairly prevalent in the.... on 09:54 - Jun 1 with 2578 viewsBloots

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:42 - Jun 1 by clive_baker

....non afro Caribbean community too.

Osmosis I guess.

Same with "gotten" which has snuck it's way into modern language from the Yanks.

It actually takes longer to say "gotten" than "got"!!

I'm old and confused.

My pet peeve is people pointlessly baiting others... on 09:55 - Jun 1 with 2576 viewsKropotkin123

The English language hardly helps with pronunciation. 20 vowel sounds represented by 5 vowels + y, and they don't even bother to stick to their lanes.

Consonants hardly perform better. X = KS. C pointlessly takes the place of S or K, unless it is followed by an H.

Some words are just simply spelt wrong in the dictionary - Phoenix. No one can convince me that is correct.

And then we are supposed to blame the kids for giving up on trying, when their schools are underfunded.

But it's okay, we've elected another Etonian, as he just gets it. Says it like it is. A man of the people.

So, I guess my pet peeve is people having pet peeves about consequences and not causes.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2021 10:55]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:55 - Jun 1 with 2570 viewsclive_baker

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:51 - Jun 1 by Ewan_Oozami

Born in Tooting....

My guess is it must be hard for Caribbeans to pronounce 'ask', with their accent. So I guess some of those UK born of Caribbean descent that grew up around that pronunciation (parents / grandparents etc) probably just learnt that as the way to say it.

I might start using it.

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:55 - Jun 1 with 2580 viewsfooters

While we're on it, I've a new girl in my team who, like, says like, you know, like every other, like, word and it's, like, well annoying.

Lucky that you managed..... on 09:56 - Jun 1 with 2556 viewsBloots

My pet peeve is people pointlessly baiting others... on 09:55 - Jun 1 by Kropotkin123

The English language hardly helps with pronunciation. 20 vowel sounds represented by 5 vowels + y, and they don't even bother to stick to their lanes.

Consonants hardly perform better. X = KS. C pointlessly takes the place of S or K, unless it is followed by an H.

Some words are just simply spelt wrong in the dictionary - Phoenix. No one can convince me that is correct.

And then we are supposed to blame the kids for giving up on trying, when their schools are underfunded.

But it's okay, we've elected another Etonian, as he just gets it. Says it like it is. A man of the people.

So, I guess my pet peeve is people having pet peeves about consequences and not causes.

....to crowbar a bit of politics into it.

We're missing that on here.

Sigh.

Bleedin' kids.... on 09:57 - Jun 1 with 2547 viewsBloots

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:55 - Jun 1 by footers

While we're on it, I've a new girl in my team who, like, says like, you know, like every other, like, word and it's, like, well annoying.

....they're bare annoying.

Innit.

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:57 - Jun 1 with 2548 viewsclive_baker

Aks her to stop.

Are you arksing for trouble? (n/t) on 09:58 - Jun 1 with 2540 viewsBloots

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:55 - Jun 1 by clive_baker

My guess is it must be hard for Caribbeans to pronounce 'ask', with their accent. So I guess some of those UK born of Caribbean descent that grew up around that pronunciation (parents / grandparents etc) probably just learnt that as the way to say it.

I might start using it.

Lucky that you managed..... on 10:05 - Jun 1 with 2496 viewsKropotkin123

Lucky that you managed..... on 09:56 - Jun 1 by Bloots

....to crowbar a bit of politics into it.

We're missing that on here.

Sigh.

Take it as you wish, sigh, but that is still my pet peeve.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:06 - Jun 1 with 2494 viewsSeablu

That drives me feckin potty.
Our new recruitment girl does that, along with literally using the word literally like literally every sentence.
All with a dreadful vocal fry that she thinks makes her sound clever.
I want her to work permanently from home.
I'm sure it fairly prevalent in the.... on 10:09 - Jun 1 with 2480 viewssolemio

I'm sure it fairly prevalent in the.... on 09:54 - Jun 1 by Bloots

....non afro Caribbean community too.

Osmosis I guess.

Same with "gotten" which has snuck it's way into modern language from the Yanks.

It actually takes longer to say "gotten" than "got"!!

I'm old and confused.

I don't mind 'gotten' as it is an old English word which went over to America with the early settlers. They've kept the old English; we haven't.
My pet peeve is people pointlessly baiting others... on 10:10 - Jun 1 with 2481 viewsbluelagos

My pet peeve is people pointlessly baiting others... on 09:55 - Jun 1 by Kropotkin123

Yep.

People who worry other people's grammar, accents or pronunciation are nearly as bad as people complaining about what day of the week people mow their lawn.

Far more important things to irritate you (Except the misuse of Euro2020 obs)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:13 - Jun 1 with 2463 viewsfactual_blue

Well, so long as can flip the burgers as well as the rest of your team...

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:14 - Jun 1 with 2461 viewssolemio

Two young women behind me on a bus - pre Covid - I counted 83 "like" usages in a fairly short journey, and one of them didn't say it at all.

That is like dreadful.
My pet peeve is people pointlessly baiting others... on 10:14 - Jun 1 with 2452 viewsfactual_blue

My pet peeve is people pointlessly baiting others... on 10:10 - Jun 1 by bluelagos

Yep.

People who worry other people's grammar, accents or pronunciation are nearly as bad as people complaining about what day of the week people mow their lawn.

Far more important things to irritate you (Except the misuse of Euro2020 obs)

There's a full stop missing from your last sentence.

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:14 - Jun 1 with 2451 viewsfooters

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:13 - Jun 1 by factual_blue

Well, so long as can flip the burgers as well as the rest of your team...

I expected better from you than this cheap tap-in.

And anyway, she's on fries.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024