Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Southgate 20:50 - Jun 5 with 3707 viewsvapour_trail

I consider England very lucky to have this man as our manager. Aside from a first semi final in a generation, the complete overhaul of the squad and dedication to the promotion of youth, he is just a very decent human being. I imagine the players are grateful to have this man in charge. A worthy successor to Sir Bob.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57370117

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Gareth Southgate on 21:20 - Jun 5 with 3563 viewstractordownsouth

I haven’t always agreed with his tactics but the 2018 World Cup was a really good time. He also seems like a great mentor to the younger players and commanding the respect of such a talented squad requires a great deal of good man management.

I remember he was brilliant in the aftermath of the Bulgaria game in the qualifiers, saying he would fully support the team walking off due to racist abuse, even it meant we would have to forfeit the match.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Gareth Southgate on 21:55 - Jun 5 with 3493 viewseireblue

Liked this quote

"The team spoke about it together and we came up with the conclusion that regardless of what goes on around, we're still going to participate in the kneeling, and I think that's a great idea."
Gareth Southgate on 21:59 - Jun 5 with 3469 viewsJ2BLUE

Hated the booing at the Riverside. It's bad when it's random clubs but at least they aren't representing us. When England fans do it, it reflects on us all. Utterly needless.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Gareth Southgate on 22:02 - Jun 5 with 3454 viewsm14_blue

I’m not convinced by him as a manager but no doubt whatsoever about him as a person - a thoroughly decent man.
Gareth Southgate on 22:06 - Jun 5 with 3442 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Gareth Southgate on 21:59 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

Hated the booing at the Riverside. It's bad when it's random clubs but at least they aren't representing us. When England fans do it, it reflects on us all. Utterly needless.

A reflection of the society we live in, unfortunately. What I did like was that it was fairly quickly drowned out by applause. All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

As for the OP, very well said.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Gareth Southgate on 22:15 - Jun 5 with 3409 viewssurreyblue

Fantastic ambassador for english football. When his time as England manager comes to an end I hope the FA find a role for him where he can continue to have an influence on the game. An absolute world away from the likes of Big Sam and Capello.
Gareth Southgate on 22:49 - Jun 5 with 3277 viewslowhouseblue

he seems to be a very decent man.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Gareth Southgate on 23:04 - Jun 5 with 3219 viewsWallingford_Boy

Gareth Southgate on 22:49 - Jun 5 by lowhouseblue

he seems to be a very decent man.

Met him at a coaches conference, a really top bloke who LOVES the game.

He told me as a grassroots coach to keep silent through the game, other than the odd word of encouragement, just let them play, let them make their own decisions, then at the end, whatever the result, keep it positive.

Great advice.

RIP Sir Bobby

Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Southgate on 23:12 - Jun 5 with 3192 viewsMelford

Gareth Southgate on 22:15 - Jun 5 by surreyblue

Fantastic ambassador for english football. When his time as England manager comes to an end I hope the FA find a role for him where he can continue to have an influence on the game. An absolute world away from the likes of Big Sam and Capello.

I think he's changed the whole culture of the national team, from the Golden Generation tabloid fodder on the front and back of the papers. Just watched a really good Darren Bent interview how the national team was dominated by the big cheeses who played for the big four and everybody else was made to feel a bit inferior, he told a story about how he was in a lift with a senior member of the squad at the time who completely blanked him the whole he was in there. Can't see that kind of thing happening under Southgate.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Gareth Southgate on 23:24 - Jun 5 with 3126 viewsjeera

Yes he's always seemed like a good guy.

And he's never looked back since the whole pizza thing.

As Melford says, he came in and cut the ties with that celebrity era.

It's weird how we had so much talent all that time and yet achieved nothing of note, but this feels different.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Gareth Southgate on 08:55 - Jun 6 with 2843 viewsTractorJack

Gareth Southgate on 23:12 - Jun 5 by Melford

I think he's changed the whole culture of the national team, from the Golden Generation tabloid fodder on the front and back of the papers. Just watched a really good Darren Bent interview how the national team was dominated by the big cheeses who played for the big four and everybody else was made to feel a bit inferior, he told a story about how he was in a lift with a senior member of the squad at the time who completely blanked him the whole he was in there. Can't see that kind of thing happening under Southgate.

Sad to admit but I watch the training clips the England YouTube channel put out and the team spirit always seems great.
Gareth Southgate on 08:59 - Jun 6 with 2827 viewsfergalsharkey

Gareth Southgate on 22:02 - Jun 5 by m14_blue

I’m not convinced by him as a manager but no doubt whatsoever about him as a person - a thoroughly decent man.

Not convinced!!

who would have convinced you, Fabio,Sven,Hodgson?

get a life m8, the guys the best since Bob however i think Hoddle without the obvious hiccup would have done well.

I would like to know who you would have as England manager instead?

Poll: Cook out?

Gareth Southgate on 09:03 - Jun 6 with 2802 viewsHerbivore

He's a top man. He made England likeable again and he's managed to create an environment where the team is more important than a few big egos. His stance on taking the knee and other issues shows that he's an intelligent and decent guy as well. Whether he can do the goods with England on the pitch now and in the future, who knows? But I think it's hard to argue that he hasn't done an excellent job in a number of ways.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Gareth Southgate on 09:41 - Jun 6 with 2715 viewsSomethingBlue

He's a proper human being — a really bright, pretty normal guy really and his moral compass is spot on. The way he dealt with that yesterday was quite brilliant, I don't know how many in his shoes could have done it that well. If we had more people like him in key positions representing the country then what a nice place we'd be in.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 9:50]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Gareth Southgate on 09:48 - Jun 6 with 2680 viewsblueislander

Gareth Southgate on 09:41 - Jun 6 by SomethingBlue

He's a proper human being — a really bright, pretty normal guy really and his moral compass is spot on. The way he dealt with that yesterday was quite brilliant, I don't know how many in his shoes could have done it that well. If we had more people like him in key positions representing the country then what a nice place we'd be in.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 9:50]

My wife was his school nurse, and she says he and his brother were really polite lads. She did have to administer treatment frequently for cuts and bruises sustained from their obsession with football
Gareth Southgate on 10:01 - Jun 6 with 2641 viewsm14_blue

Gareth Southgate on 08:59 - Jun 6 by fergalsharkey

Not convinced!!

get a life m8, the guys the best since Bob however i think Hoddle without the obvious hiccup would have done well.

Blimey.

I just think he's overly cautious give the amount of attacking talent we have. The world cup was a success, but a qualified one, now we need to really kick on.

I would love him to prove me wrong.
Gareth Southgate on 10:23 - Jun 6 with 2584 viewsPositivelyPortman

Not convinced!!

Calm down love.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Gareth Southgate on 11:51 - Jun 6 with 2486 viewsbluelagos

His unequivocal backing of his players for their choices in taking the knee, in the face of criticism from the usual suspects is most admirable and speaks volumes for him as a person.

A fine and worthy stand.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Gareth Southgate on 12:25 - Jun 6 with 2442 views26_Paz

Gareth Southgate on 10:01 - Jun 6 by m14_blue

Blimey.

I just think he's overly cautious give the amount of attacking talent we have. The world cup was a success, but a qualified one, now we need to really kick on.

I would love him to prove me wrong.

Agreed re the World Cup. Yes, we got the the semis, fantastic, but we were incredibly fortunate in terms of our route there. Drawing that Croatia side in a World Cup semi was an incredible opportunity squandered. They had some decent players but no doubt about it we should have been beating teams like that.

The Paz Man

Gareth Southgate on 14:16 - Jun 6 with 2347 viewsmanagement

Record in Finals
Wins vs Tunisia, Panama, Sweden, Spain, Croatia, Iceland x2, Belgium.

Draws vs Colombia, Croatia, Switzerland, Denmark.

Defeats vs Belgium x3, Croatia, Spain, Holland, Denmark.

A record comparable with Paul Lamberts in Division One at Portman Road, can't say I would be satisfied with that.

Lets see how he does this time.
Gareth Southgate on 14:55 - Jun 6 with 2291 viewsmikeybloo88

Not convinced!!

Venables was the best manager since Sir Bobby, with Hoddle just behind. Southgate is uninspiring as a manager...I think he's wasted the chance to bed down a really good 4-3-3 over the last year with his obsession with 5 at the back and 2 defensive mids. He's too loyal to out of form favourites like Sterling and Rashford...England could and should now be a well oiled tried and tested offensive unit with Foden, Mount and Grealish at its heart and the only fly in the ointment should have been the sudden arrival of Bellingham.
Gareth Southgate on 15:06 - Jun 6 with 2265 viewsBiGDonnie

Would have been a world cup final if Harry Kane weren't such a greedy B******!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024