Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... 21:10 - Jun 6 with 8765 viewsReuser_is_God

...that have resurfaced this week.

That’s utterly ridiculous isn’t it?

Surely people can see that he’s changed in that time? He was 18 ffs.

Also, who even has the time on their hands to dig this stuff out?
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 21:26]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:14 - Jun 6 with 4726 views26_Paz

What did the tweets say?

The Paz Man

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:16 - Jun 6 with 4719 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It smacks of something someone was well aware of and waited to bring out at just this moment.

There has to be a point at which we can recognise that people's views and opinions change. If someone refused to condemn their past offensive Tweet it is different but when it is clearly historic and clearly no longer their opinion it seems harsh at best for them to be punished.

What happens if someone now drags up another one he made 7 or 8 years ago? Does that get covered by this punishment or receive a further one?

The other side to this is that all youngsters need to realise their online posting can have future consequences.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:19 - Jun 6 with 4692 viewsRozz

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:14 - Jun 6 by 26_Paz

What did the tweets say?

Various were dragged up spanning from racist, to sexist to just plain unsavoury, including use of N word and Gary Speed jokes.

The timing of their dredging up doesn't quite sit right, but he certainly wasn't a nice bloke at 18 by the looks of things.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:27 - Jun 6 with 4600 viewsvapour_trail

You know him well?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:27 - Jun 6 with 4597 viewsgtsb1966

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:19 - Jun 6 by Rozz

Various were dragged up spanning from racist, to sexist to just plain unsavoury, including use of N word and Gary Speed jokes.

The timing of their dredging up doesn't quite sit right, but he certainly wasn't a nice bloke at 18 by the looks of things.

Let's not hang the bloke for something he said at 18. If representing England and being 9 years older has made him more responsible then we should move on.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:28 - Jun 6 with 4586 viewsChrisd

Yes, completely agree. I appreciate he shouldn’t have sent them, but we’ve all said and done stupid things when we’ve been young. Is he that same person now? I doubt it very much. This is yet another example of where the modern world is going mad.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:29 - Jun 6 with 4566 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:19 - Jun 6 by Rozz

He might not have been, but that doesn’t mean he’s that same person now.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:30 - Jun 6 with 4557 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:27 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

You know him well?

If his views were the same today as they were then he wouldn’t have got this far in his career.

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:35 - Jun 6 with 4504 viewsvapour_trail

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:30 - Jun 6 by Reuser_is_God

If his views were the same today as they were then he wouldn’t have got this far in his career.

Maybe. Maybe not.

He may well have a different outlook on life these days, but the ecb does have a responsibility here. I believe the ecb have stood him down whilst they investigate which seems reasonable.

Lots of hand wringing about the world going mad, but not much to see here really. I’m sure Robinson will have the opportunity to explain his earlier comments and expect we will see him on an international field in time, albeit there may be a sanction.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:40 - Jun 6 with 4448 viewsSeablu

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:14 - Jun 6 by 26_Paz

What did the tweets say?

The sort of ignorant dross you’d have no problem with.
You mindlessly up-arrowed the OP, then had to ask what he’d actually said.
You’re an absolute clown wherever you wash up on this forum.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 23:08]
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:46 - Jun 6 with 4413 viewsXYZ

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:35 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

Maybe. Maybe not.

He may well have a different outlook on life these days, but the ecb does have a responsibility here. I believe the ecb have stood him down whilst they investigate which seems reasonable.

Lots of hand wringing about the world going mad, but not much to see here really. I’m sure Robinson will have the opportunity to explain his earlier comments and expect we will see him on an international field in time, albeit there may be a sanction.

ECB have been questioned on racism recently (re umpire appointments, I believe) - no due diligence carried out on a new player without the common sense/ decency to delete offensive old social media posts.

The ECB will now do what they think they should be seen to be doing and may over-react.

I'm not sure why some think that a 18 year-old racist/ sexist loses those traits by aging 8 years.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:47 - Jun 6 with 4394 views26_Paz

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:40 - Jun 6 by Seablu

The sort of ignorant dross you’d have no problem with.
You mindlessly up-arrowed the OP, then had to ask what he’d actually said.
You’re an absolute clown wherever you wash up on this forum.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 23:08]

No, I asked because the question of whether or not it can be put down to the folly of youth kind of depends upon the severity of the initial tweets

The Paz Man

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:47 - Jun 6 with 4414 viewshatch

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:27 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

You know him well?

I’ve spent the weekend with some cricketers in Margate where he grew up and they played with him. He wasn’t painted in a brilliant picture from those that knew him fairly well.

Still, it’s a harsh lesson to learn. I do think more effort should be made to correct our social media footprint though, I’ve checked all my posts from a similar age to ensure there is nothing derogatory as I feel it’s important to me and I’m not on the verge of being a well known sportsman.

Harsh possibly, but sometimes lessons need to be learnt to avoid repeats.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:49 - Jun 6 with 4376 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:46 - Jun 6 by XYZ

ECB have been questioned on racism recently (re umpire appointments, I believe) - no due diligence carried out on a new player without the common sense/ decency to delete offensive old social media posts.

The ECB will now do what they think they should be seen to be doing and may over-react.

I'm not sure why some think that a 18 year-old racist/ sexist loses those traits by aging 8 years.

So you didn’t mature as a person in the 8/9 years after being 18?

Poor you.

Evans out

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:54 - Jun 6 with 4334 viewsvapour_trail

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:49 - Jun 6 by Reuser_is_God

Poor you.

You’re making assumptions on Robinson without any intel. You’re talking bo11ocks.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:55 - Jun 6 with 4321 viewsXYZ

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:49 - Jun 6 by Reuser_is_God

Poor you.

I knew a few racists at 18 and they weren't going to change.

Does one "mature" out of racism? I doubt it. They learn how to hide it better, maybe.

Still, interesting you see racism as being part of the human maturation process. Says a bit.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:57 - Jun 6 with 4309 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:46 - Jun 6 by XYZ

I don't think anyone said that. He has clearly stated he does not hold those views now and that he regrets having made the comments hasn't he?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:59 - Jun 6 with 4291 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:54 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

You’re making assumptions on Robinson without any intel. You’re talking bo11ocks.

He’s literally said so himself.

Evans out

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:02 - Jun 6 with 4263 viewsXYZ

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:57 - Jun 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't think anyone said that. He has clearly stated he does not hold those views now and that he regrets having made the comments hasn't he?

He said what he had to say at the time. I blame the ECB for putting him there (no due diligence), although he obviously hadn't "matured" enough to delete the tweets.

I think that taking the time to ensure there's no more recent such activity is best for all concerned. Dropping him for the next test is just easy PR for the ECB, nothing more. They should have been able to do the research in a couple of days.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:03 - Jun 6 with 4251 viewsvapour_trail

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:59 - Jun 6 by Reuser_is_God

He’s literally said so himself.

That’s that then is it? Case closed. I think the ecb are probably well advised to do some due diligence

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:05 - Jun 6 with 4246 viewsWD19

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:54 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

Are you familiar with his career?

He basically got sacked when younger for being a waster and had to start again and work his way up.

The ECB are right to do something, but I am hoping that he was due to miss the 2nd test as part of the general squad rotation anyway and that he will still get a second go this summer.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 22:09]
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:08 - Jun 6 with 4227 viewsSteve_M

It’s the right decision, the ECB has to stand for inclusivity and can not just pass these tweets by. Eighteen is old enough to know better and whilst Robinson seems to be genuinely apologetic cricket can’t have the entire debate about BLM that Holding and Rainsford-Brent started last year and say’ oh well, it was just teenage bantz’.

It’s really unfortunate and the appropriate reaction should be a short suspension rather than a permanent ban.

Social media usage for anyone who is, or wants to be, in the public eye is a nightmare. Always worth pausing before pushing the send button

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:09 - Jun 6 with 4205 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:02 - Jun 6 by XYZ

He said what he had to say at the time. I blame the ECB for putting him there (no due diligence), although he obviously hadn't "matured" enough to delete the tweets.

I think that taking the time to ensure there's no more recent such activity is best for all concerned. Dropping him for the next test is just easy PR for the ECB, nothing more. They should have been able to do the research in a couple of days.

To be fair, I had not realised he had not deleted them and assumed someone had dragged them up from elsewhere (i.e. saved them). Having said that, how much stuff would be on a social media account from 8-10 years ago that you would not give a second thought to?

Possibly the lesson here is that those in the public eye ought to clear their account from pretty much everything.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:13 - Jun 6 with 4167 viewsZXBlue

Absurd. He was picked post tweets and should not be punished for the past, retrospectively in that way.

They were crass tweets, but by no means the nastiest, and he has clearly distanced himself from his younger silliness.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:18 - Jun 6 with 4123 viewsvapour_trail

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:05 - Jun 6 by WD19

Are you familiar with his career?

He basically got sacked when younger for being a waster and had to start again and work his way up.

The ECB are right to do something, but I am hoping that he was due to miss the 2nd test as part of the general squad rotation anyway and that he will still get a second go this summer.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 22:09]

No I’m not.

I don’t accept that it’s ok to write off stuff because someone was young. I know people who were arseholes when they were young and they remain so to this day.

Steve has covered it a lot better then I have.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024