Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... 21:10 - Jun 6 with 8895 viewsReuser_is_God

...that have resurfaced this week.

That’s utterly ridiculous isn’t it?

Surely people can see that he’s changed in that time? He was 18 ffs.

Also, who even has the time on their hands to dig this stuff out?
[Post edited 6 Jun 2021 21:26]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:25 - Jun 6 with 2691 viewsSonOfSpock

Am surprised that in this day of agents and 'advisors' that nobody had the foresight to have a quick word and ask "is there anything on social media that is going to bring yourself or the team into disrepute before you play for England?"

You'd hope that Ollie would have removed it in the first place with 9 years of life experience, showing he's dense.

However, I certainly don't think he can be retrospectively punished for something at 18. If you can't get a second chance at his age then it's pretty poor form.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:29 - Jun 6 with 2678 viewsXYZ

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:09 - Jun 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

To be fair, I had not realised he had not deleted them and assumed someone had dragged them up from elsewhere (i.e. saved them). Having said that, how much stuff would be on a social media account from 8-10 years ago that you would not give a second thought to?

Possibly the lesson here is that those in the public eye ought to clear their account from pretty much everything.

I'm not a public persona and have no wish to be. I'm also not a "matured" racist or sexist so don't need to worry about past social media posts. There's probably a couple of bad jokes they'd find.

I feel sorry for him a bit in that the main culprit here, the ECB, are going to use him to cover up their own failings, whilst acting as judge, jury and prosecution counsel.

Why didn't they ask the "is there anything in your past that could embarrass us? question. Where's the player education?
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:36 - Jun 6 with 2654 viewsZXBlue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:18 - Jun 6 by vapour_trail

No I’m not.

I don’t accept that it’s ok to write off stuff because someone was young. I know people who were arseholes when they were young and they remain so to this day.

Steve has covered it a lot better then I have.

Noone is writing it off.

But to pick him and then punish for something done long beforehand, which he distances himself from, is just playing to the crowd ratehrt han being reasonable and fair.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 23:19 - Jun 6 with 2598 viewsSeablu

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 21:47 - Jun 6 by 26_Paz

No, I asked because the question of whether or not it can be put down to the folly of youth kind of depends upon the severity of the initial tweets

I can see now why you ended up mopping out train carriages.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 23:36 - Jun 6 with 2562 viewsHARRY10

You rather overlook the part sponsorship plays in sport

Companies associate themselves with the types of sport that reflect the image they wish to put out - and so will decide when that image is in danger of being tarnished, and take action to protect that image.

Who pays the piper calls the tune - not that difficult a concept to grasp, I would have thought.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 01:34 - Jun 7 with 2539 viewsRyorry

Yes it is ridiculous, bearing in mind that every criminal conviction for anything <= a term of 4 years imprisonment would have been "spent" by now, and employers legally obliged to give equal consideration when taking on new staff to even such a serious ex-offender as one deemed needing 4 years in jail:- http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/spentposter/

Added to which he had forgotten that those old tweets were still in existence, was only just over the age 18 yr old threshold of juvenile/adult when he wrote them, & expressed clearly genuine contrition in the statement he read out a few days ago.

Looks like someone with a grudge has got what they wanted, otherwise why the timing just before Robinson's debut Test?

Everyone deserves a second chance, and if the ECB had any sense they'd have used him as a positive example of how people can change from expressing totally unacceptable & disgraceful views in their youth, to becoming educated & enlightened role models 8 or 9 years later.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 2:02]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 06:06 - Jun 7 with 2497 viewsgordon

Quite a few people missing the point here! If the Daily Mail release part 2 of their exclusive on the morning of the second test with Robinson in the team, that's you all sacked as Chair of the ECB for your error in judgement.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 07:55 - Jun 7 with 2444 viewshomer_123

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 22:08 - Jun 6 by Steve_M

It’s the right decision, the ECB has to stand for inclusivity and can not just pass these tweets by. Eighteen is old enough to know better and whilst Robinson seems to be genuinely apologetic cricket can’t have the entire debate about BLM that Holding and Rainsford-Brent started last year and say’ oh well, it was just teenage bantz’.

It’s really unfortunate and the appropriate reaction should be a short suspension rather than a permanent ban.

Social media usage for anyone who is, or wants to be, in the public eye is a nightmare. Always worth pausing before pushing the send button

Indeed Steve.

I can't see how defending tweets from eight years ago around racism and sexism is remotely OK.

Anyone who suggests 'it's a different era' or 'he was only 18' misses the point entirely.

No one is perfect and, as you say, this being called out and short suspension seems appropriate but to ignore it altogether undermines the move to removing all forms of discrimination.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 10:35 - Jun 7 with 2392 viewshatch

The culture secretary has decided to have his say on the matter:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57383097
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 10:41 - Jun 7 with 2381 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 10:35 - Jun 7 by hatch

The culture secretary has decided to have his say on the matter:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57383097

Of course he has.

I'm sure Robinson is delighted with is intervention.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:04 - Jun 7 with 2324 viewsManchesterblue

The same people who want him hung drawn and quartered, also forgive Shemima Begum because she was young and didn't know what she was doing.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:26 - Jun 7 with 2291 viewsDanTheMan

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:04 - Jun 7 by Manchesterblue

The same people who want him hung drawn and quartered, also forgive Shemima Begum because she was young and didn't know what she was doing.

Amazing how you manage to fit not one but two strawmen in one sentence. Bravo.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:27 - Jun 7 with 2285 viewsBeckets

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:26 - Jun 7 by DanTheMan

Amazing how you manage to fit not one but two strawmen in one sentence. Bravo.

Johnson has waded in now.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:34 - Jun 7 with 2255 viewsManchesterblue

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:27 - Jun 7 by Beckets

The bullying is strong with this one.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:44 - Jun 7 with 2241 viewsLord_Lucan

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:04 - Jun 7 by Manchesterblue

To be fair, I don't think people are suggesting forgiving Begum and letting her walk free, more so that she should be accepted back into UK, interrogated and serve some kind of sentence - although if I have that wrong then your point stands.

As for Robinson, well I suppose with everything people should always have a second chance with anything they might have said or done when they were younger but it might also be wise to look at his recent behaviour as well, something I, along with most know nothing about.

I mean, if no one got second chances in life then I suggest everyone would be in a bit of a pickle.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:53 - Jun 7 with 2205 viewsDanTheMan

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 13:27 - Jun 7 by Beckets

I can see why this needs to go all the way to the Prime Minister... I'm sure he does not have better things to be talking about.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 15:26 - Jun 7 with 2148 viewsMaySixth

I assume Craig Overton's 2014 suspension has been mentioned on here?

The vast majority know nothing about it yet he could play this week as a replacement for a racist.

ECB in a tricky position.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 15:27]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 15:59 - Jun 7 with 2105 viewswkj

In all honesty giving people a free pass because they were 18 when they did it an 9 years have passed is no different from giving someone a free pass because they were young and committed a crime. Whilst grievous crimes and making racist posts may seem different - the effects someone's word has on other people are dangerous if viewed by a devout lunatic.

When I was 18, I don't recall any time where I thought racist language was okay, not even for a 'laugh'. So honestly, I am glad he's being met with repercussions.

P.S. People don't magically change what they think in 9 years - so, correct decision imho.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:07 - Jun 7 with 2097 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 15:26 - Jun 7 by MaySixth

I assume Craig Overton's 2014 suspension has been mentioned on here?

The vast majority know nothing about it yet he could play this week as a replacement for a racist.

ECB in a tricky position.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 15:27]

I was certainly unaware, so thanks for prompting me to google!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/dec/13/ashar-zaidi-somerset-craig-overton

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:20 - Jun 7 with 2084 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 15:59 - Jun 7 by wkj

In all honesty giving people a free pass because they were 18 when they did it an 9 years have passed is no different from giving someone a free pass because they were young and committed a crime. Whilst grievous crimes and making racist posts may seem different - the effects someone's word has on other people are dangerous if viewed by a devout lunatic.

When I was 18, I don't recall any time where I thought racist language was okay, not even for a 'laugh'. So honestly, I am glad he's being met with repercussions.

P.S. People don't magically change what they think in 9 years - so, correct decision imho.

Totally agree with you about the potentially damaging effect of words, but totally disagree about people changing what they think.

Whilst some people might not change what they think, some people undoubtedly do, even radically so like myself, who at 18 was still living with conservative parents & bro in sheltered, commuter-belt Surrey, but by 27 was a trained, experienced probation officer working in inner-city + sink estate in Leeds. Encountered quite a few people in those years in both my professional & personal life who'd similarly turned their thinking around.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:22 - Jun 7 with 2080 viewswkj

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:20 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Totally agree with you about the potentially damaging effect of words, but totally disagree about people changing what they think.

Whilst some people might not change what they think, some people undoubtedly do, even radically so like myself, who at 18 was still living with conservative parents & bro in sheltered, commuter-belt Surrey, but by 27 was a trained, experienced probation officer working in inner-city + sink estate in Leeds. Encountered quite a few people in those years in both my professional & personal life who'd similarly turned their thinking around.

The issue is, there is nothing to say he has, or has not changed his ways. There is no guarantee either way.

The only truth is, he has much more at stake now than he did back then.

So a free pass because of age is not a good enough reason.

Crybaby

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:29 - Jun 7 with 2066 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:22 - Jun 7 by wkj

The issue is, there is nothing to say he has, or has not changed his ways. There is no guarantee either way.

Nobody said anything about giving him a "free pass", of course he needs to face up to the justifiable criticism of what he did back then.

But saying he shouldn't play for England now because "The issue is, there is nothing to say he has, or has not changed his ways. There is no guarantee either way"

Is saying that people should be punished for their *possible* thoughts. Which would be bang out of order in my book. The issue of the police locking people up for *potential* crimes they hadn't "yet" committed, was roundly condemned when it was mooted a year or two back iirc.

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:35 - Jun 7 with 2063 viewsitfcjoe

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:22 - Jun 7 by wkj

I don't think that is true, when he was young he nearly threw his career away, was sacked by his county in 2014 (Yorkshire) when he was 21 and has admitted he was an absolute waster. Jason Gillespie said of him "When a player consistently displays behaviour that isn’t professional, there has to be a point in time when you say 'look, this isn’t really working, you’re obviously not that bothered about playing for the club'. That point came, and it was tough" and that "He’s got to learn about his game and about being a professional sportsman. I think there will be a future for him in the professional game, but I think he needs to learn a lot, and I think he can do it."

He has gone away and through and is now vice captain at Sussex after getting himself back on track and is now in a leadership role at a county club.

I think it's fair to say there is evidence he has changed his ways, without even looking too far into the detail. I don't disagree the suspension is wrong though, it probably is right all things considered - but I hate the way certain people are written off because of mistakes they made when were young and stupid.....he is without sin and all that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:43 - Jun 7 with 2037 viewsMattinLondon

People change - sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

This seems to be a growing trend on social media of digging up things from the past and then hanging the individual with it. Thinking about it, it’s not really a new thing as newspapers have been publishing old photos of celebrities for decades if they think there’s enough scandal in them.

His tweets were in bad taste but I don’t think he should be punished for something he wrote as a young adult. Give him the benefit and move on.
Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:48 - Jun 7 with 2020 viewswkj

Cricket: Ollie Robinson suspended for his tweets from 8/9 years ago... on 16:35 - Jun 7 by itfcjoe

I don't think that is true, when he was young he nearly threw his career away, was sacked by his county in 2014 (Yorkshire) when he was 21 and has admitted he was an absolute waster. Jason Gillespie said of him "When a player consistently displays behaviour that isn’t professional, there has to be a point in time when you say 'look, this isn’t really working, you’re obviously not that bothered about playing for the club'. That point came, and it was tough" and that "He’s got to learn about his game and about being a professional sportsman. I think there will be a future for him in the professional game, but I think he needs to learn a lot, and I think he can do it."

He has gone away and through and is now vice captain at Sussex after getting himself back on track and is now in a leadership role at a county club.

I think it's fair to say there is evidence he has changed his ways, without even looking too far into the detail. I don't disagree the suspension is wrong though, it probably is right all things considered - but I hate the way certain people are written off because of mistakes they made when were young and stupid.....he is without sin and all that

I hate the way certain people are written off because of mistakes they made when were young and stupid

Is no more, or less, valid than having the following point of view either.

I hate the way certain people are given a free pass because of mistakes they made when were young and stupid

He is suspended, not fired.

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024