Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When moving houses (only a few miles) 18:36 - Jun 8 with 2442 viewsTractorWood

What approach would you recommend?

- men with ven
- proper removals company to do everything
- pack some yourself and get someone to shift it
- DIY

[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 18:37]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 18:40 - Jun 8 with 1731 viewsBluespeed225

Big van, couple of mates paid with dinner and beers, get loads of boxes, get all the prep' done you can, get a hotel the night before if you can pack up EVERYTHING, moved by lunchtime if keys are available. Good Luck with your move.
When moving houses (only a few miles) on 18:41 - Jun 8 with 1721 viewsBLUEBEAT

Depends what time you have.

Like many, have moved several times.

Best move was my last one and I had a weeks grace in regards to getting out of old property. So I did it myself with an estate car. Nice and chilled with one, two and sometimes three trips a day and it was done and saved a fair few quid too.

Poll: W or W

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 18:42 - Jun 8 with 1718 viewsbluelagos

So back in the day when I was happily married, I was faced with the costs of removals when my landlord offered a "man and van" service using his 'horse box'.

I thought he meant he had a van, the size of a horse box, but it was an actual horse box.

The smell, from the horses was quite strong and my Mrs went a bit mental and refused to put any of her clothes inside as she didn't want them to sell of horse manure. So she took her clothes and we loaded everything together whilst she spent the day cursing.

I would say she was unreasonable but the settee / bed / matress and a few other bits still smelled of horse sh1t about 2 months later, so she probably had a point. Though I did save a few hundred quid so all was not lost.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 18:42 - Jun 8 with 1714 viewsEwan_Oozami

You do realise that a men with a ven only does posh places....:-)

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 18:54 - Jun 8 with 1650 viewsbelgablue

We were fortunate enough recently to have to move for work reasons and therefore provided with the full packing and unpacking service from a removals company. If budget allows I would highly recommend above all others.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:16 - Jun 8 with 1610 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 18:42 - Jun 8 by Ewan_Oozami

Ah but they draw you a diagram.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:18 - Jun 8 with 1610 viewsjeera

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 18:42 - Jun 8 by Ewan_Oozami

Maybe they can do you a diagram showing you how the moving options compare.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:18 - Jun 8 with 1607 viewsFreddies_Ears

When I was a kid, we moved about 200m up the road, from no 36 to no 18. I never understood, until many decades later, why we had a full-on removal van! Having, since then, done pretty much every permutation of removal option, I'd still go for the best, most professional firm locally!
Login to get fewer ads

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:19 - Jun 8 with 1597 viewsfactual_blue

Leave all your old possessions behind and start again.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:22 - Jun 8 with 1590 viewsfooters

Just done it this week... One-man man and van job, forty-five an hour*, two-hour minimum. Then had self storage for a week at about £120 all in, so cost me £300 to move five minutes away!

But yeah, always pack yourself. Makes no sense paying someone else to do that.

Although I do question how much labour value I got out of £180... more like a taxi.

*Disclaimer: London prices.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 19:22]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:23 - Jun 8 with 1585 viewsjeera

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:18 - Jun 8 by Freddies_Ears

When I was a kid, we moved about 200m up the road, from no 36 to no 18. I never understood, until many decades later, why we had a full-on removal van! Having, since then, done pretty much every permutation of removal option, I'd still go for the best, most professional firm locally!

I've always moved myself, but for years had vans so that was obvious really.

The problem with owning vans is you would get a request every 5 minutes from someone and his dog asking if you could help them out with something.

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:25 - Jun 8 with 1573 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:23 - Jun 8 by jeera

The problem with owning vans is you would get a request every 5 minutes from someone and his dog asking if you could help them out with something.

Like moving home? Or possibly drawing a diagram. Depends on location I suppose.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:31 - Jun 8 with 1541 viewsjeera

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:25 - Jun 8 by You_Bloo_Right

Like moving home? Or possibly drawing a diagram. Depends on location I suppose.

Well it was usually the dogs needing the most help, what with not being equipped to do either without support.

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:32 - Jun 8 with 1541 viewstextbackup

luton van or two, and mates...

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:33 - Jun 8 with 1532 viewsjeera

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:32 - Jun 8 by textbackup

Exactly.

Approx £80 for the van and a few pints and a curry for the mates.

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:48 - Jun 8 with 1489 viewsblue62

I moved back in august, was a bit last minute so couldn’t get a removal company, so hired a van and me and mrs b62 did it all ourselves.

Knackering but saved £1000
When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:52 - Jun 8 with 1472 viewsHARRY10

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:56 - Jun 8 with 1458 viewsbluelagos

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:23 - Jun 8 by jeera

Just get a horse box. And if anyone still wants a favour, refer them to my ex-wife.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:58 - Jun 8 with 1444 viewsFunge

Moving house is total w@nk.

As others have said, get a couple mates to do it, then take them out properly for dinner and a couple of several drinks.

Might cost you £250 but it'll be more of a laugh with your mates (although still pretty, pretty crap), and you get a night out.

RKD helped me move some furniture one Saturday morning a few years back. We were both hanging, I was less than useless, we couldn't get some stupid wardrobe in the right room, and we ended up in the Gardeners Arms by midday. Pretty sure I still owe him for that.
When moving houses (only a few miles) on 20:02 - Jun 8 with 1427 viewsHARRY10

25.30 mins onward

be warned

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 20:13 - Jun 8 with 1400 viewsEdwardStone

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:58 - Jun 8 by Funge

Moving house is total w@nk.

As others have said, get a couple mates to do it, then take them out properly for dinner and a couple of several drinks.

Might cost you £250 but it'll be more of a laugh with your mates (although still pretty, pretty crap), and you get a night out.

RKD helped me move some furniture one Saturday morning a few years back. We were both hanging, I was less than useless, we couldn't get some stupid wardrobe in the right room, and we ended up in the Gardeners Arms by midday. Pretty sure I still owe him for that.

Hire a luton van with a tail lift

Loads of fun for kids of all ages
When moving houses (only a few miles) on 20:27 - Jun 8 with 1376 viewsBasuco

7.5 Tonne truck with tail lift and 3 men.
When moving houses (only a few miles) on 20:46 - Jun 8 with 1344 viewssuffolkpoker

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:32 - Jun 8 by textbackup

Rent from a fellow town van (my company) www.Econorent.co.uk
If you quote cheese to get a discount :)

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 23:31 - Jun 8 with 1233 viewseireblue

When moving houses (only a few miles) on 19:19 - Jun 8 by factual_blue

Leave all your old possessions behind and start again.

Hmmmm, Gav, when is the next upgrade due, I have an idea.
When moving houses (only a few miles) on 08:16 - Jun 9 with 1086 viewsKropotkin123

When I moved a couple of miles a couple of years ago I carried everything. That included 2x chest-of-draws. It was a super cheap way to do it... But it was a hot day (I guess that is better than rain) and I had loads of bruising all over my arms from where the edges dug in. lots of stopping and starting when carrying the heavy stuff - Very much the attitude, if I can carry it for 15 metres, I can carry it 15 metres X amount of times. I did the move over two days. I wouldn't recommend it.

The most recent time I moved I spent roughly £75 on one 1h trip for the really heavy stuff and carried the rest.

I think the approach I'd recommend depends on
- How long you have access to both properties
- How much stuff you have
- How much perseverance you have and what condition you are in (I'm not unhealthy, but I don't build muscle at a gym)
- How much money you have or how much you care to budget for this type of thing

General points
- You don't have to do one solution, you can mix it up
- I don't see much point in going with a proper removals company for a short distance over a man with a van.
- I don't see the point in doing multiple trips with a company, if you have a car. You can do lots of the light stuff yourself

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024