Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. 19:35 - Jun 8 with 6246 viewsBlueBadger

Phil has very kindly said he will pass this on.

Long term stadium announcer Rob Chandler has officially announced his departure from Portman Road, so please, leave your messages to say 'thank you'.

It would be nice if we could keep the comments positive please - the old saying of if you have nothing nice to say... would be appropriate here - it is the very least he deserves.

I'm by no means a PR regular attendee but he was always an important part of the matchday experience and one of life's rare constants, be it anouncing the line ups to the sly digs the announcing Norwich scores it will not be the same at PR.

Good luck to Rob in whatever you're doing next.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 20:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 17:39 - Jun 9 with 938 viewsSamWhiteUK

Thank you Rob for your contribution to matchdays. As a supporter in their mid twenties, I've heard your voice at 99.9% of the matches I've attended and you've always been missed in your absence. PR will be a different place without your voice over the tannoy. I'll always remember taking my girlfriend to her first Town game and her knowing who you were by voice alone
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 20:57 - Jun 9 with 879 viewsBlueBadger

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 17:16 - Jun 9 by blaggers

So my comment gets deleted and this one stays?

We knew what you meant, no-one got a clue what Texters is banging on about.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 23:52 - Jun 9 with 837 viewsblaggers

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 20:57 - Jun 9 by BlueBadger

We knew what you meant, no-one got a clue what Texters is banging on about.

Fair point.

Poll: What happens next?

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 19:29 - Jun 10 with 746 viewsStourbridgeblue

My favourite RC moment. After Van Nistelroy had dived to win a penalty telling the ground staff to "be careful in the penalty area, its very slippery in there"
Hope the team can entertain you as much as you've entertained us.

Poll: What do you want on Sunday?

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 10:50 - Jun 11 with 666 viewsbrazil1982

IMO, one of the best. I travel to a lot of away games, and other places as a neutral, and honest Rob you really are one of the best in the country.

You will be missed.
All the best.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 20:49 - Jun 12 with 552 viewsSuperCoops

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 22:31 - Jun 8 by Eiffel78

A huge part of the matchday experience for so many years, it never feels quite right when someone else has taken over for odd games. I remember my first game back in 1998, a 3-1 win over Charlton, with about 50 of us going from my school as part of a promotion and he gave us a special shout out before the game (his brother, my history teacher, had organised us going down, so there was a connection). Through all the ups and downs, he's been there; the joy of Wembley and the pain of relegation, getting in trouble for pointing out Man City's goal in the FA Cup shouldn't have happened, stabbing a Norwich shirt with a pitchfork after wearing it for Children in Need, getting behind the idea to play Tom Hark for that game against Sheffield United, so many memories... matches won't be the same without him and whoever comes next has some very big shoes to fill.
Thanks for everything Rob, you made the matchday experience so much better for thousands of people and you'll be missed.

Edit: been reminded it was Mark Murphy who actually wore the shirt. But it was the stabbing that made us laugh.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 22:44]

The shirt stabbing was Mark Murphy wearing the Norwich kit for the kick the ball into the boat challenge they did in aid of Children in Need. Murphy removed his Norwich shirt to reveal a Town one. Rob kicked the Norwich shirt along the ground a few times before stabbing it with the groundsman's pitch fork.

I had recorded this and had it on YouTube at the time, seeing it as a light hearted moment. It transpired it got Rob into a lot of trouble at that time (would have been the 6-0 Bristol City win around about 2006?). There were news articles calling for him to be sacked from the Norfolk radio station he was working at the time. I was unaware of the reaction until Rob contacted me and asked me to remove it.

As part of his tribute on Twitter by EADT (I think), I reopened that video and shared it as a good memory. Within 10 minutes, Rob had messaged me begging to remove it again as he didn't want to open up more flak. Sorry, Rob. Thought it was pretty amusing, still a bit surprised they got upset about it - especially as they knew he's a Town fan and was doing the PA at the time.

But of course, it's OK for them to put "Scum" on their scoreboard for one of our games when we had been beaten (at Man Utd??)!
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 22:42 - Jun 13 with 487 viewsEiffel78

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 20:49 - Jun 12 by SuperCoops

The shirt stabbing was Mark Murphy wearing the Norwich kit for the kick the ball into the boat challenge they did in aid of Children in Need. Murphy removed his Norwich shirt to reveal a Town one. Rob kicked the Norwich shirt along the ground a few times before stabbing it with the groundsman's pitch fork.

I had recorded this and had it on YouTube at the time, seeing it as a light hearted moment. It transpired it got Rob into a lot of trouble at that time (would have been the 6-0 Bristol City win around about 2006?). There were news articles calling for him to be sacked from the Norfolk radio station he was working at the time. I was unaware of the reaction until Rob contacted me and asked me to remove it.

As part of his tribute on Twitter by EADT (I think), I reopened that video and shared it as a good memory. Within 10 minutes, Rob had messaged me begging to remove it again as he didn't want to open up more flak. Sorry, Rob. Thought it was pretty amusing, still a bit surprised they got upset about it - especially as they knew he's a Town fan and was doing the PA at the time.

But of course, it's OK for them to put "Scum" on their scoreboard for one of our games when we had been beaten (at Man Utd??)!

I remember it more now. You're right, it was Mark Murphy wearing it. Memory got muddled. I also uploaded it on here a year or two later. Someone said it might be embarrassing for him so I dropped a quick email asking if it would cause him any problems (which was the last thing I wanted to do) and received a very short reply saying take it down. Of course I did as he wanted
Lost the video now as it wasn't recoverable when a previous laptop died.
The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 23:54 - Jun 13 with 477 viewsSuperCoops

The Official TWTD 'Thank you Rob Chandler' thread. on 22:42 - Jun 13 by Eiffel78

I remember it more now. You're right, it was Mark Murphy wearing it. Memory got muddled. I also uploaded it on here a year or two later. Someone said it might be embarrassing for him so I dropped a quick email asking if it would cause him any problems (which was the last thing I wanted to do) and received a very short reply saying take it down. Of course I did as he wanted
Lost the video now as it wasn't recoverable when a previous laptop died.

I was actually surprised at the level of uproar and trouble it seemed to cause Rob. Even when it reappeared a few weeks back (bearing in mind it had been well over 10 years), he seemed a bit prickly and wanted it removed immediately.

Sorry Rob!

EDIT: There was an article on one of the Norwich news sites which I had discovered leading to kick it all off about the shirt stabbing, but can't find it now.

But I did come across this article where Rob seems to have fallen foul of the sensitive Budgies:

PA Man in Row Row 26th Feb 2002 09:58
Town PA man and Radio Broadland presenter Rob Chandler is at the centre of controversy after repeating allegations of a bust-up between Norwich City players after the Canaries' 3-0 win against Preston on his Norfolk-based radio show. 0

[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 0:00]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024