Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gwion Edwards 10:39 - Jun 10 with 4202 viewsNazemariner

Football fans never fail to amaze me.

He was one of few players in the squad that could beat a man, put in a cross, and contribute with his fair share of goals, yet many are glad to see the back of him.

If we can bring in a better player to replace him then great, but that is far from guaranteed. And the suggestion that players whom we have barely even see play are superior to him, just beggars belief.
Gwion Edwards on 12:43 - Jun 10 with 1363 viewsMetal_Hacker

Gwion Edwards on 12:41 - Jun 10 by MrTown

'He can put a cross in'

'He can put a cross in' + the opposite stand

Poll: If it were one or the other

Gwion Edwards on 12:44 - Jun 10 with 1353 viewsMrTown

Gwion Edwards on 12:43 - Jun 10 by Metal_Hacker

'He can put a cross in' + the opposite stand

Beautifully placed from the East of England into the Cobbold.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Gwion Edwards on 12:45 - Jun 10 with 1348 viewsMetal_Hacker

Gwion Edwards on 12:44 - Jun 10 by MrTown

Beautifully placed from the East of England into the Cobbold.

And to think some think he'll get better

Gwion Edwards on 13:17 - Jun 10 with 1320 viewsEnigma_Blue

Gwion Edwards on 12:36 - Jun 10 by Metal_Hacker

I think you've ended the argument here by this comment

The only way you get more consistent performances is by a more consistent performer

To be fair to Edwards he was absolutely flying the last season up until he got injured. As is so often the case after a player comes back from injury they lose all the momentum they built up before hand.

Also to be fair on him, he didn't often get to play in his favoured position on the left.
When he did play there and was able to cut in on to his right foot he looked a much more dangerous player. That's why his performances were far more consistent for Peterborough and he looked a stand out performer at LG1 level at least.

If Lambert & Cook had played him more often on the left i think he would have scored and created a good few more than he did.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 15:04]
Gwion Edwards on 13:25 - Jun 10 with 1304 viewsistanblue

Gwion Edwards on 10:45 - Jun 10 by N2_Blue

Are you sure you were watching Gwion Edwards!?

He really has been nothing special at all. The occasional ok game and goal but seriously if you think Edwards is the type of player we should be persevering with you obviously want Town to be in L1 for the foreseeable future.

Edwards in a bang average L1 player...we need far better and are signing better...if you don't believe Burns is superior then yes you haven't seen him but many of us have because we take an interest in football outside of PR

Burns is better, yes. But Edwards would be a perfectly adequate squad player at this level.
Gwion Edwards on 13:27 - Jun 10 with 1301 viewsCaptMickMills

Agree. Until he got injured last season he was our best player. Regularly able to beat a player and get cross in. Played better on left but often played on right towards end of season. Goal threat when played on left. Alsovwas prepared to tackle back.

Will do well for Wigan if he stays fit. I would have been totally OK with him staying.
Gwion Edwards on 13:28 - Jun 10 with 1301 viewstractorboy1978

Gwion Edwards on 13:17 - Jun 10 by Enigma_Blue

To be fair to Edwards he was absolutely flying the last season up until he got injured. As is so often the case after a player comes back from injury they lose all the momentum they built up before hand.

Also to be fair on him, he didn't often get to play in his favoured position on the left.
When he did play there and was able to cut in on to his right foot he looked a much more dangerous player. That's why his performances were far more consistent for Peterborough and he looked a stand out performer at LG1 level at least.

If Lambert & Cook had played him more often on the left i think he would have scored and created a good few more than he did.

There's a reason the usually very savvy wheeler dealers of Fry and MacAnthony sold him for only £700k.
Gwion Edwards on 13:39 - Jun 10 with 1266 viewsMetal_Hacker

Gwion Edwards on 13:17 - Jun 10 by Enigma_Blue

It's all thinks and thoughts and ifs and buts though - fact of the matter regardless of injury ,who the manager was /is etc the long and short of it is he was far too inconsistent for me in all fairness

To be able to get promoted from any league surely there has to be a degree of consistency , a genuine 7 out of 10 every game ? He's not the type of player to offer us that and never will be IMHO but again it's all down to personal opinions. Some rave about Nors but again I tend to lean the other way . Beauty of football I guess
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 13:40]

Login to get fewer ads

Gwion Edwards on 14:09 - Jun 10 with 1227 viewsEnigma_Blue

Gwion Edwards on 13:28 - Jun 10 by tractorboy1978

There's a reason the usually very savvy wheeler dealers of Fry and MacAnthony sold him for only £700k.

And there is a reason why Wigan want him. He is of decent LG1 standard.
Gwion Edwards on 14:12 - Jun 10 with 1218 viewsSharkey

Gwion Edwards on 11:09 - Jun 10 by cvillageblue

Even with my default setting of defending very Welsh speaking player (os which Wes Burns is also one you may be interested to know) I struggled to remember a meaningful contribution by him in 2021.

I have memories of being at a game at Old Trafford, in the very front row near the dug-outs (so watching at about knee-level), and a player got injured and while waiting for the game to re-start Clayton Blackmore and Geraint Williams were chatting in Welsh a few yards from me. It made a big impression on me at the time, that they would naturally switch to Welsh in the middle of a game, but now I wonder if it actually happened, as I've never seen it conformed that Williams speaks Welsh.
Gwion Edwards on 14:16 - Jun 10 with 1210 viewsEnigma_Blue

Gwion Edwards on 13:39 - Jun 10 by Metal_Hacker

It's all thinks and thoughts and ifs and buts though - fact of the matter regardless of injury ,who the manager was /is etc the long and short of it is he was far too inconsistent for me in all fairness

To be able to get promoted from any league surely there has to be a degree of consistency , a genuine 7 out of 10 every game ? He's not the type of player to offer us that and never will be IMHO but again it's all down to personal opinions. Some rave about Nors but again I tend to lean the other way . Beauty of football I guess
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 13:40]

Yes I get what you are saying but who out of our squad over the past two seasons could you describe as being a consistent 7/10 performer?

Overall Edwards has been a let own, but for me he gets a disproportionate amount of criticism as during his time at the club the rest of the squad have been equally as inconsistent if not worse. I would say Jackson has been more of a disappointment and his transfer fee was more than double that of Edwards.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 14:20]
Gwion Edwards on 14:25 - Jun 10 with 1186 viewsMetal_Hacker

Gwion Edwards on 14:16 - Jun 10 by Enigma_Blue

Yes I get what you are saying but who out of our squad over the past two seasons could you describe as being a consistent 7/10 performer?

Overall Edwards has been a let own, but for me he gets a disproportionate amount of criticism as during his time at the club the rest of the squad have been equally as inconsistent if not worse. I would say Jackson has been more of a disappointment and his transfer fee was more than double that of Edwards.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 14:20]

I couldn't describe anyone as a consistent 7/10 over the past few seasons which is why we're ripping it all up perhaps - no guarantees with this theory obviously BUT definition of madness if we continue the way we were

PC will live by the sword or die by it - the supporters will just have to accept his better judgement for now and the results will speak for themselves

As for people being too judgmental with Edwards , to a point I'd agree but the type of player he is , I suppose it comes with the territory too . If nothing is being created etc then he'll get pelters , pretty much like Nsiala gets them when he concedes a penalty

Gwion Edwards on 14:35 - Jun 10 with 1173 viewsArnieM

Gwion Edwards on 12:45 - Jun 10 by Metal_Hacker

And to think some think he'll get better

He did that deliberately. It’s a two fingers up to the manager and us fans. And people want him to stay , lol !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Gwion Edwards on 16:54 - Jun 10 with 1104 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Gwion Edwards on 17:00 - Jun 10 with 1086 viewssaffers12

Gwion Edwards on 16:54 - Jun 10 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

gone
Gwion Edwards on 17:01 - Jun 10 with 1084 viewsStokieBlue

He's officially gone:

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Gwion Edwards on 17:11 - Jun 10 with 1045 viewsblaggers

Gwion Edwards on 10:49 - Jun 10 by jayessess

Incredibly inconsistent, technically very poor and 14 goals in 3 seasons isn't a "fair share" for a forward.

He was likely one of the best paid wingers in the division and was 60th for dribbles completed, 49th for crosses completed and 100th for chance creation.

Also had a woeful penchant for a totally needless yellow card.

Poll: What happens next?

Gwion Edwards on 17:49 - Jun 10 with 1006 viewslazyblue

Because he gave up last season , we know what he can do but his standards dropped far too much .
Gwion Edwards on 20:06 - Jun 10 with 977 viewsLeoMuff

Gwion Edwards on 17:49 - Jun 10 by lazyblue

Because he gave up last season , we know what he can do but his standards dropped far too much .

For me this was the concern, clearly on his day a very decent league 1 player, he also had one decent champ season in an appalling side.

However, he pretty much downed tools with the others towards the end, even when play offs were very achievable, attitude issue that it looks like we are addressing

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Gwion Edwards on 20:11 - Jun 10 with 974 viewscressi

Gwion Edwards on 11:21 - Jun 10 by N2_Blue

Not unreasonable, no, but don't think it beggars belief.

I think you've also got to understand there are a large percentage of supporters that don't rate Edwards. It's because there is something in it, he's really not been very good at all but you are entitled to your opinion of course. I just think it's misjudged personally.

And no player can prove himself with 'us' until he's signed and played games under our manager

Based on Edwards contributions of the last 3 years I'd much rather we moved him on and tried to sign better. Of course there is no guarantee, but to move forward we have to try. Stick with Edwards and we will not improve, he's had 3 years and done very very little, surely you can't want to build a team capable of achieving promotion with Edwards as a focal point based on what he has achieved....which is not a great deal.

The only thing I can say positive was he didn't spend a lot of time injured.
But one good game in 5/6 in league one not good enough needs to play well eight out of ten consistently to get out of this league goes for all the players.
Gwion Edwards on 20:14 - Jun 10 with 970 viewschrismakin

Excellent work by the club. Up the offer to Edwards so that Wigan spend more on their wage offer reducing their % turnover pot.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Gwion Edwards on 20:19 - Jun 10 with 963 viewsbazza

Gwion Edwards on 11:04 - Jun 10 by Nazemariner

Yet it seems that PC wanted to keep him and offered him a contract?

Selling pies at half time .
Gwion Edwards on 21:25 - Jun 10 with 932 viewsWestcountryblue

I am a little disappointed to see Edwards go.

While I'll agree that he was incredibly frustrating and inconsistent, I do think he would've been good, versatile back up. Always useful to have some legs off the bench.

Looking at the wages and fees we are paying, I'm not too concerned though.
Gwion Edwards on 21:25 - Jun 10 with 930 viewsChurchman

He was part of the problem, not the solution. Good luck to the bloke, but personally I’m glad he’s gone.
Gwion Edwards on 21:49 - Jun 10 with 901 viewsSwansea_Blue

He was nowhere near as bad as people make out. Or at least he was far from the worst in a poor team. Certainly replaceable though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024