Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing 10:41 - Jun 10 with 4705 viewsMach_foreignBlue

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/karl-robinson-lashe

Sour grapes !

Lower leagues' nobody despite his 'fine brand of football'.

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 10:46 - Jun 10 with 4172 viewsWD19

Comment of the day:

"This is why holiday countries should be back on the green list. We now have to listen to Robinson all summer because he is stuck at home."
Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 10:52 - Jun 10 with 4039 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He's not wrong to be fair.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 10:52 - Jun 10 with 4048 viewscleggo

yes, Mr Robinson. That's because some teams in the league have 4 stands in their stadium so can afford to pay more than Oxford...
Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:13 - Jun 10 with 3815 viewsMrTown

I can understand frustrations when you are smaller club with lower budgets, but spending doesn't always equate to success. He's reached the play-offs two years in a row and doing a terrific job there.

But I guarantee if he had the budgets of the bigger sides, he wouldn't complain about spending it. But he is with smaller football club, and has to work within in his smaller budgets.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 11:34]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:16 - Jun 10 with 3771 viewsabracaDOBRA_

To be fair, I kinda get it.

It wasn't long ago when we were in the champ and struggling to compete with budget and wages etc. MM worked a miracle on the budget we were on.

I remember seeing Nodge, Boro, Derby and all these clubs spending millions and it really peed me off as we just couldn't do it

But I don't mind now we are on the good end of it. Bout time we had some investment and its well overdue
Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:31 - Jun 10 with 3605 viewsjayessess

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:16 - Jun 10 by abracaDOBRA_

To be fair, I kinda get it.

It wasn't long ago when we were in the champ and struggling to compete with budget and wages etc. MM worked a miracle on the budget we were on.

I remember seeing Nodge, Boro, Derby and all these clubs spending millions and it really peed me off as we just couldn't do it

But I don't mind now we are on the good end of it. Bout time we had some investment and its well overdue

Part of that frustration was that those three teams were historically clubs of similar size to us. Not sure why Oxford Untied (average attendance 7636) should expect to have a budget that's competitive with Sunderland (30118) or Ipswich (19549).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:33 - Jun 10 with 3562 viewschicoazul

OP does know we are currently lower league nobodies too, right?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:35 - Jun 10 with 3516 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:31 - Jun 10 by jayessess

Part of that frustration was that those three teams were historically clubs of similar size to us. Not sure why Oxford Untied (average attendance 7636) should expect to have a budget that's competitive with Sunderland (30118) or Ipswich (19549).

Yep that's a fair point I guess.

Can see it being frustrating when a 'big' club comes into someones league and then 'buys their way out of it' as such. It's like when we were the residents of the championship having been there for 15 odd years and seeing these ex prem teams come down and buy their way to promotion again and again.

Nothing wrong with it of course as its not against the rules. And when your clubs doing it its great but can see the annoyance
Login to get fewer ads

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:37 - Jun 10 with 3458 viewsStokieBlue

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 10:52 - Jun 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Up to a point he's right.

However the previous solution we had of an arbitrary cap for all teams regardless of income was also very wrong. At least what we have now should in some way be linked to the income of the clubs. It's not really the fault of bigger clubs that Oxford have less income.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:39 - Jun 10 with 3437 viewsTractorCam

Unlike that bell to be moaning about something.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

I think this emphasises what a tough league this season going to be.... betting on 11:40 - Jun 10 with 3406 viewsunstableblue

Sheff Weds
Sunderland
Wigan
Ipswich

Are going to have strong squads, and good managers.

These are the current odds in order (strong teams in there)

Sunderland
5/2
Sheffield Wednesday
11/4
Charlton
3/1
Ipswich
3/1
Portsmouth
4/1
Rotherham
4/1
Bolton
9/2
Lincoln
9/2
Oxford
9/2
Wycombe
11/2

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:44 - Jun 10 with 3366 viewsVic

He’s got a point. BUT ... it’s the same in whatever league you’re in in our country. Same 8n the premiership right down to non league football.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:53 - Jun 10 with 3255 viewsjayessess

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 11:35 - Jun 10 by abracaDOBRA_

Yep that's a fair point I guess.

Can see it being frustrating when a 'big' club comes into someones league and then 'buys their way out of it' as such. It's like when we were the residents of the championship having been there for 15 odd years and seeing these ex prem teams come down and buy their way to promotion again and again.

Nothing wrong with it of course as its not against the rules. And when your clubs doing it its great but can see the annoyance

I think the reality for Oxford United is that they're something like the 12th biggest club in League 1 in terms of fanbase and would've been the smallest in the Championship. They've punched above their weight for a couple of seasons, but if you don't take advantage when that happens, sooner or later you regress to the mean.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 12:13 - Jun 10 with 3126 viewsBlueBlood90

He makes a fair point but he didn't mind it when he was in a similar position throwing money around at MK Dons.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 12:17 - Jun 10 with 3069 viewsIpswichKnight

It’s dawning on a lot of people now that we have competent people who know what they are doing. They are all used to ME and us doing nothing until 5 mins before the close of the window.
Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 12:20 - Jun 10 with 3028 viewsJDB23

We barely spent 10k a week on a player in the Championship let alone this league with the restrictions we are now under.

Maybe Wednesday are but I thought they weren’t in the best financial position?
I think this emphasises what a tough league this season going to be.... betting on 12:21 - Jun 10 with 3010 viewsOwainG1992

I think this emphasises what a tough league this season going to be.... betting on 11:40 - Jun 10 by unstableblue

Sheff Weds
Sunderland
Wigan
Ipswich

Are going to have strong squads, and good managers.

These are the current odds in order (strong teams in there)

Sunderland
5/2
Sheffield Wednesday
11/4
Charlton
3/1
Ipswich
3/1
Portsmouth
4/1
Rotherham
4/1
Bolton
9/2
Lincoln
9/2
Oxford
9/2
Wycombe
11/2

Sheff Wed's will be no where near the top for me.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 12:46 - Jun 10 with 2828 viewsSlambo

Sorry, I don't get his point at all. Clubs can only spend what they themselves earn. That's the beauty of the salary cap protocol (or whatever it's called) in League 1, and why it should be implemented in every division. It gets the best of both worlds: clubs can't rely on the largesse of a rich benefactor to artificially gain an advantage, but can still utilise their natural assets as well benefit from their own business acumen...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 12:51 - Jun 10 with 2768 viewsBlueNomad

Instead of moaning maybe he should try using it to motivate his team to give the "big boys" a beating. I suspect that's what Mick did.
Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 13:03 - Jun 10 with 2660 viewsclive_baker

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 12:46 - Jun 10 by Slambo

Sorry, I don't get his point at all. Clubs can only spend what they themselves earn. That's the beauty of the salary cap protocol (or whatever it's called) in League 1, and why it should be implemented in every division. It gets the best of both worlds: clubs can't rely on the largesse of a rich benefactor to artificially gain an advantage, but can still utilise their natural assets as well benefit from their own business acumen...

I agree Slambo. Businesses in any sector spend to their means, and the restrictions that limit spending to a % of turnover are designed to make sure clubs are run sustainably. If a club is turning over significantly more than it's rivals due to having a higher demand for its product, then why shouldn't it be allowed to spend more. I really don't get the argument to be honest. The appetite to level a playing field and not allow clubs a competitive advantage doesn't sit well with me. Grow your supporter base, generate more revenues and you too can compete for the same players. If I opened a bank tomorrow I can't expect HSBC to not throw more money at their next CEO than I can afford to offer them.

Whether the restrictions in place are optimum is another question altogether.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 13:15 - Jun 10 with 2517 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 10:52 - Jun 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Wigan have 4 but couldn’t fill 1/2 of one!
I think this emphasises what a tough league this season going to be.... betting on 14:15 - Jun 10 with 2201 viewsunstableblue

I think this emphasises what a tough league this season going to be.... betting on 12:21 - Jun 10 by OwainG1992

Sheff Wed's will be no where near the top for me.

Not sure I agree, Darren Moore is a good manager proven in League 1....

And yes he didn't manage to keep Sheff Weds up, but not bad stats in the Championship for a team that was a bit lost:
Sheffield Wednesday 1 March 2021 Present 14 3 4 7 21.4

They will still retain good players, and bring in new. Despite financial challenge.

Paul Cook in a weak League One:

Ipswich Town 2 March 2021 Present 16 4 7 5 25.0

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

I think this emphasises what a tough league this season going to be.... betting on 14:20 - Jun 10 with 2166 viewstractorboy1978

I think this emphasises what a tough league this season going to be.... betting on 14:15 - Jun 10 by unstableblue

Not sure I agree, Darren Moore is a good manager proven in League 1....

And yes he didn't manage to keep Sheff Weds up, but not bad stats in the Championship for a team that was a bit lost:
Sheffield Wednesday 1 March 2021 Present 14 3 4 7 21.4

They will still retain good players, and bring in new. Despite financial challenge.

Paul Cook in a weak League One:

Ipswich Town 2 March 2021 Present 16 4 7 5 25.0

They aren't far off their players being able to rip up their contracts. And what's been going on is far from a good advert for signing new players. Who wants to go somewhere where the owner may decide on a whim not to pay you?
Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 15:34 - Jun 10 with 1937 viewsBlueNomad

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 13:03 - Jun 10 by clive_baker

I agree Slambo. Businesses in any sector spend to their means, and the restrictions that limit spending to a % of turnover are designed to make sure clubs are run sustainably. If a club is turning over significantly more than it's rivals due to having a higher demand for its product, then why shouldn't it be allowed to spend more. I really don't get the argument to be honest. The appetite to level a playing field and not allow clubs a competitive advantage doesn't sit well with me. Grow your supporter base, generate more revenues and you too can compete for the same players. If I opened a bank tomorrow I can't expect HSBC to not throw more money at their next CEO than I can afford to offer them.

Whether the restrictions in place are optimum is another question altogether.

Spot on! Oxford have a similar / larger catchment area to us. They need to generate crowds of c20k and then they would have more money to spend.
Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 16:01 - Jun 10 with 1757 viewsSlambo

Karl Robinson the first one who is moaning about we are allegedly doing on 15:34 - Jun 10 by BlueNomad

Spot on! Oxford have a similar / larger catchment area to us. They need to generate crowds of c20k and then they would have more money to spend.

Yep, exactly. There is no restriction on what you can spend on infrastructure, no..? So the owner of Oxford wants to put his money into good scouting networks, analytics, coaching, etc. This will improve the team, they'll get promoted, more fans will come to watch, sponsors will pay/pay more to sponsor them, and voila - they have more to spend on the playing squad..!

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024