Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th 21:55 - Jun 11 with 6676 viewsElderGrizzly

Announcement on Monday by Boris in a nationwide address.

Allows 10 million more people to get 2nd doses giving 80% protection vs Delta variant rather than 33%.

Traffic light travel system will also be ‘suspended’ for updates until the new date, so nothing else added to green list.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/covid-cases-in-england-rising-at-f
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:14 - Jun 11 with 3282 viewsHARRY10

That speech in full

" Wiffle, get covid sorted, waffle....waffle..piffle, on the beaches, piffle, not on the beaches......piffle....lie on the beach, lie to you, wiffle, waffle, lie in a ditch in front if bull dozing.....paffle, piffle, not me guv, blame Hancock, .............
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:36 - Jun 11 with 3224 viewsJ2BLUE

Not sure what the big deal is for the average person. I get it for businesses but the current level of restrictions aren't exactly strict are they?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:42 - Jun 11 with 3198 viewspositivity

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:36 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

Not sure what the big deal is for the average person. I get it for businesses but the current level of restrictions aren't exactly strict are they?

i feel for those who've planned weddings etc, but it's the right call

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:43 - Jun 11 with 3188 viewsBlueBadger

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:36 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

Listen, the minor inconvenience of a mask in Tescos for 30 minutes once a week is a big deal for the sort of people who describe those with genuine grievances as 'snowflakes'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:02 - Jun 12 with 3117 viewsStokieBlue

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:43 - Jun 11 by BlueBadger

Listen, the minor inconvenience of a mask in Tescos for 30 minutes once a week is a big deal for the sort of people who describe those with genuine grievances as 'snowflakes'.

I was on the tube for the first time in ages today.

I would put the mask wearing at 50% across the two journies even though it's illegal not to wear a mask. There is no enforcement and the majority were younger people.

Ancedotally it seems there is a good percentage who don't care about transmission and don't care about the law.

Perhaps my trip was unusual but then that would also be unusual.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:05 - Jun 12 with 3091 viewsSpruceMoose

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:02 - Jun 12 by StokieBlue

I would put the mask wearing at 50% across the two journies even though it's illegal not to wear a mask. There is no enforcement and the majority were younger people.

Ancedotally it seems there is a good percentage who don't care about transmission and don't care about the law.

SB

NY subway mask use is still up around the 90% mark judging from what I've seen recently. Anyone not wearing a mask is either mentally ill or looking for an excuse to run a box cutter across someone's cheek.

Mask use has always been incredibly high here though. I'm actually surprised to hear that maybe not the case in London. Although, and maybe I'm wrong, judging from the folk I know I thought mask use wasn't pushed as hard in the UK as it was in the US?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 0:11]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:14 - Jun 12 with 3063 viewsBlueBadger

SB

Seems to depend upon geographical area( and sometimes postcode), age, social class and education in the UK, quite often from pub to pub, never mind county to county in the UK. The landlord and landlady at our local are from the North West but before coming to Suffolk, they ran a boozer in Jaywick and currently have a second concern up in a rather sniffy corner of Norfolk.

They report(and I can only corroborate my local here) very good compliance here in CO10(possibly fuelled by their distinctly 'firm but fair' unofficial bar manager down here, patchy in Norfolk(the 'proper' locals mostly compliant, the posh incomers less so) and a bit of a nightmare in Burnley where they're from.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the problem is thick people.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:17 - Jun 12 with 3060 viewsElderGrizzly

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:43 - Jun 11 by BlueBadger

My Twitter replies are full of them from “it is unfair” through to full on Covid deniers and actual adults using the word sheeple
Login to get fewer ads

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:20 - Jun 12 with 3041 viewsSpruceMoose

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:17 - Jun 12 by ElderGrizzly

My Twitter replies are full of them from “it is unfair” through to full on Covid deniers and actual adults using the word sheeple

We know that there's no God by the simple fact that these people are still around to spread their vile hateful lies, conspiracy theories and wah wah-ing fifteen months into this thing, while many of us have good caring people who tried to do the right thing but are now either six feet under or existing as dust in a box on the fireplace.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 1:03]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:26 - Jun 12 with 3034 viewsElderGrizzly

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:20 - Jun 12 by SpruceMoose

We know that there's no God by the simple fact that these people are still around to spread their vile hateful lies, conspiracy theories and wah wah-ing fifteen months into this thing, while many of us have good caring people who tried to do the right thing but are now either six feet under or existing as dust in a box on the fireplace.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 1:03]

They are morons

For context, i’d suggested delaying was a good thing as above

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:39 - Jun 12 with 2988 viewsSpruceMoose

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:26 - Jun 12 by ElderGrizzly

They are morons

For context, i’d suggested delaying was a good thing as above

I've asked this about five times on here and not received an answer yet.

What do people want to do that they currently can't?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:41 - Jun 12 with 2982 viewsElderGrizzly

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:39 - Jun 12 by SpruceMoose

Oh and he’s a paranormal researcher who doesn’t believe in Covid
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 01:08 - Jun 12 with 2925 viewsjeera

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:39 - Jun 12 by SpruceMoose

I'd also like to ask this question.

Not to be awkward, but because I've been laid up somewhat and have missed a lot of this.

Everything I've seen seems to be open so what's the next stage?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 01:10 - Jun 12 with 2914 viewsSpruceMoose

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 01:08 - Jun 12 by jeera

I'd also like to ask this question.

Not to be awkward, but because I've been laid up somewhat and have missed a lot of this.

Everything I've seen seems to be open so what's the next stage?

I genuinely don't know. Probably because I'm not in the UK. Talking to people who are though, there doesn't seem to be much that you can't do. You can see friends, family, go to the pub, even go on holiday.

What do people want to do that they can't? Genuine question.

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 05:26 - Jun 12 with 2794 viewsbluelagos

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 01:10 - Jun 12 by SpruceMoose

I genuinely don't know. Probably because I'm not in the UK. Talking to people who are though, there doesn't seem to be much that you can't do. You can see friends, family, go to the pub, even go on holiday.

What do people want to do that they can't? Genuine question.

In no particular order.

Go to a football game with more than 25% capacity.
Go to a music festival
Go to a family wedding
Visit family overseas
Go on a motorbike trip to the Picos
Travel to Copenhagen to watch England in the knockout game.
Walk into a pub, smile at the landlord and order a pint.
Smile at the old lady in Tesco who looks scared to be within cat swinging distance of other shoppers.
Visit a gig
Go to a nightclub
Invite more than 5 mates for a beer
Not be asked for my phone number when i sit down for a coffee and ham sandwich
Properly plan a trip to South America to Patagonia
Not stand outside the bakery as its only 2 at a time
Go for a coffee in Brightlingsea without being barked at to 'stand behind the line'
Visit Argos without the prospect of having to 'stand inside the box'
Visit Halfords without having to explain to a member of staff why i want to go on.
Walk upto and chat to a stranger in a pub
Not follow a load of arrows ever again.
Be able to contemplate a holiday without being told I''m selfish.
Not listen to the hysterical "I saw 8 people chatting ..." rantings of anxious people.

I could go on, but you did ask. And btw, am more than happy to wait another 4 weeks if the numbers suggest it wise.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 06:04 - Jun 12 with 2744 viewsBarcaBlue

So no chance that Spain can be on the green list before July 19th, regardless of local factors?
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 06:43 - Jun 12 with 2662 viewspeterleeblue

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:14 - Jun 11 by HARRY10

That speech in full

" Wiffle, get covid sorted, waffle....waffle..piffle, on the beaches, piffle, not on the beaches......piffle....lie on the beach, lie to you, wiffle, waffle, lie in a ditch in front if bull dozing.....paffle, piffle, not me guv, blame Hancock, .............

You forgot Vaccine roll out, ruffle , ruffle.
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:21 - Jun 12 with 2572 viewslazyblue

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:42 - Jun 11 by positivity

i feel for those who've planned weddings etc, but it's the right call

At the end of the day a wedding day is so very hyped is ridiculous
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:33 - Jun 12 with 2538 viewsitfcjoe

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 05:26 - Jun 12 by bluelagos

In no particular order.

Go to a football game with more than 25% capacity.
Go to a music festival
Go to a family wedding
Visit family overseas
Go on a motorbike trip to the Picos
Travel to Copenhagen to watch England in the knockout game.
Walk into a pub, smile at the landlord and order a pint.
Smile at the old lady in Tesco who looks scared to be within cat swinging distance of other shoppers.
Visit a gig
Go to a nightclub
Invite more than 5 mates for a beer
Not be asked for my phone number when i sit down for a coffee and ham sandwich
Properly plan a trip to South America to Patagonia
Not stand outside the bakery as its only 2 at a time
Go for a coffee in Brightlingsea without being barked at to 'stand behind the line'
Visit Argos without the prospect of having to 'stand inside the box'
Visit Halfords without having to explain to a member of staff why i want to go on.
Walk upto and chat to a stranger in a pub
Not follow a load of arrows ever again.
Be able to contemplate a holiday without being told I''m selfish.
Not listen to the hysterical "I saw 8 people chatting ..." rantings of anxious people.

I could go on, but you did ask. And btw, am more than happy to wait another 4 weeks if the numbers suggest it wise.

Yep, there’s clearly lots we still can’t do - and the closer it pushes to start of football season the more likely it is we’ll see restricted capacities etc. Pre season another write off whixh I normally enjoy.

I have a couple of mates round for game on Sunday when I should be there, ditto for Friday where I’ve lost tickets for England c Scotland on home soil in a major tournament whixh should be a major occasion.

There are so many little things, for so many people, when the vaccine was seen as the way out, it seems as though the break between infections and hospitalisation has been made, and certainly the break between infection and death has been.

I’ve been fully compliant until now, and will continue to be so - but can’t say I support it any more when I’ve been positive about the slow unlocking generally……but it feels as though the Govt have let us down, again, with India not being on Red list…..and now we lose another summer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:35 - Jun 12 with 2528 viewsSaigonTractor

SB

I found the exact same thing when I was in London last weekend. It actually made me pretty uncomfortable, think when this is all over it's still going to take me a while to get used to not wearing a mask.
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th (n/t) on 07:44 - Jun 12 with 2480 viewsThisIsMyUsername

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:33 - Jun 12 by itfcjoe

Yep, there’s clearly lots we still can’t do - and the closer it pushes to start of football season the more likely it is we’ll see restricted capacities etc. Pre season another write off whixh I normally enjoy.

I have a couple of mates round for game on Sunday when I should be there, ditto for Friday where I’ve lost tickets for England c Scotland on home soil in a major tournament whixh should be a major occasion.

There are so many little things, for so many people, when the vaccine was seen as the way out, it seems as though the break between infections and hospitalisation has been made, and certainly the break between infection and death has been.

I’ve been fully compliant until now, and will continue to be so - but can’t say I support it any more when I’ve been positive about the slow unlocking generally……but it feels as though the Govt have let us down, again, with India not being on Red list…..and now we lose another summer

[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 7:50]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:50 - Jun 12 with 2441 views26_Paz

SB

I don’t think that’s typical in fairness. I am on public transport pretty much every day and would put it at least 80%. You are right there is no enforcement though.
It does depend on time of day. I find those going in for work tend to be very good so morning and evening high compliance. Middle of the day when you get leisure travellers this dips significantly.

The Paz Man

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:51 - Jun 12 with 2441 viewssolomon

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:14 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

Seems to depend upon geographical area( and sometimes postcode), age, social class and education in the UK, quite often from pub to pub, never mind county to county in the UK. The landlord and landlady at our local are from the North West but before coming to Suffolk, they ran a boozer in Jaywick and currently have a second concern up in a rather sniffy corner of Norfolk.

They report(and I can only corroborate my local here) very good compliance here in CO10(possibly fuelled by their distinctly 'firm but fair' unofficial bar manager down here, patchy in Norfolk(the 'proper' locals mostly compliant, the posh incomers less so) and a bit of a nightmare in Burnley where they're from.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the problem is thick people.

I know a few who refuse to wear them, I’d say they are not necessarily thick but have a history of being bloody awkward and a bit selfish.
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:51 - Jun 12 with 2438 viewsitfcjoe

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:50 - Jun 12 by 26_Paz

I don’t think that’s typical in fairness. I am on public transport pretty much every day and would put it at least 80%. You are right there is no enforcement though.
It does depend on time of day. I find those going in for work tend to be very good so morning and evening high compliance. Middle of the day when you get leisure travellers this dips significantly.

Around Ipswich >90% of people seem to be compliant with everything, hospital admissions are down this week in East of England as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:54 - Jun 12 with 2418 viewsbluelagos

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:33 - Jun 12 by itfcjoe

"There are so many little things, for so many people"

Much is just at the annoyance level, real petty nonsense tbh. But many businesses are not helping themselves imho.

The Argos experience was real. I went in to buy something. Was literally a max of 2 customers in the shop. Get masked up, knew what I wanted, go and order and pay for it.

Then I am told to stand "inside the box". They have a 1m wide box taped off with that black and yellow tape, like they use for danger. I am treated like a leper and ordered to wait there until I am waved forward. The girl giving me the box no longer does that, she places it down and steps back the required 2m before beckoning me forward to collect it and leave.

Now I have never been one for enjoying shopping, for me it has always been a functional thing rather than an enjoyable thing. But when it reaches the point where I am made to feel like a leper, I simply chose not to engage with businesses that treat me in that way.

That goes for a shop, a pub or a cafe. If you genuinely bark at me I'll choose to go elsewhere. I appreciate what is behind such conduct (a fear of spreading the virus, a desire to keep staff and customers safe) but there are ways of doing it and ways of not doing it.

I think the above experience, which is not unique and is being repeated in many places will be a real issue for businesses and will be contributing significantly to the slow uptake of trade once again. Spoke to girl in a motorbike clothing shop the other day and aside from 2 busy weeks when they reopened - their business is back at barely 50% of normal levels. There will be many other shops in similar positions am sure.

And to reiterate, I have no worries about extending the full reopening for a few more weeks. As irritating as it all is.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024