Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th 21:55 - Jun 11 with 6698 viewsElderGrizzly

Announcement on Monday by Boris in a nationwide address.

Allows 10 million more people to get 2nd doses giving 80% protection vs Delta variant rather than 33%.

Traffic light travel system will also be ‘suspended’ for updates until the new date, so nothing else added to green list.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/covid-cases-in-england-rising-at-f
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:54 - Jun 12 with 1700 viewsSomethingBlue

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 00:02 - Jun 12 by StokieBlue

I was on the tube for the first time in ages today.

I would put the mask wearing at 50% across the two journies even though it's illegal not to wear a mask. There is no enforcement and the majority were younger people.

Ancedotally it seems there is a good percentage who don't care about transmission and don't care about the law.

Perhaps my trip was unusual but then that would also be unusual.

SB

Not unusual at all, I've been taking the tube pretty often and would say it's generally been 50-70% and getting lower. Enforcement is as you say zero, guess staff fear not having the strength in numbers if someone absolutely kicks off.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:02 - Jun 12 with 1662 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 23:43 - Jun 11 by BlueBadger

Listen, the minor inconvenience of a mask in Tescos for 30 minutes once a week is a big deal for the sort of people who describe those with genuine grievances as 'snowflakes'.

Is not wearing a mask part of 'freedom day?'

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:06 - Jun 12 with 1659 viewsbluelagos

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:02 - Jun 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Is not wearing a mask part of 'freedom day?'

Don't think it's clear yet. I can't see them being retained in shops, maybe on public transport.

At the speedway, which is outside ffs, you have to wear one. Proper hot at the last 2 meets at Ipswich and fair to say compliance was dropping with the heat making them uncomfortable for many.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:17 - Jun 12 with 1640 viewsvapour_trail

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:50 - Jun 12 by 26_Paz

I don’t think that’s typical in fairness. I am on public transport pretty much every day and would put it at least 80%. You are right there is no enforcement though.
It does depend on time of day. I find those going in for work tend to be very good so morning and evening high compliance. Middle of the day when you get leisure travellers this dips significantly.

This is also my experience.

Lots of pious folk on this thread. This extension will have negative implications for a lot of people. It may be necessary and we will live with it and that is fine, but the responses on this thread thoroughly piss me off and I will try to avoid engaging with these people to avoid an internet argument that benefits nobody.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:25 - Jun 12 with 1631 viewsStokieBlue

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:50 - Jun 12 by 26_Paz

I don’t think that’s typical in fairness. I am on public transport pretty much every day and would put it at least 80%. You are right there is no enforcement though.
It does depend on time of day. I find those going in for work tend to be very good so morning and evening high compliance. Middle of the day when you get leisure travellers this dips significantly.

I think you're probably right with regards to mask compliance with commuters and that the time of day affects the usage.

As I said, my example was ancedotal and I haven't got other times to include in my sample. It was just a tad annoying to see so many people brazenly break the rules.

There was one woman on the who looked incredibly uncomfortable. She was sitting down wearing her mask then people sat either side of her with no masks and then two blokes got on and stood right over her with no masks.

She shouldn't have to be put in that position because there is no enforcement. I felt really sorry for her because you could see she wasn't happy but there was nothing she could do.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:33 - Jun 12 with 1601 views26_Paz

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:25 - Jun 12 by StokieBlue

I think you're probably right with regards to mask compliance with commuters and that the time of day affects the usage.

As I said, my example was ancedotal and I haven't got other times to include in my sample. It was just a tad annoying to see so many people brazenly break the rules.

There was one woman on the who looked incredibly uncomfortable. She was sitting down wearing her mask then people sat either side of her with no masks and then two blokes got on and stood right over her with no masks.

She shouldn't have to be put in that position because there is no enforcement. I felt really sorry for her because you could see she wasn't happy but there was nothing she could do.

SB

I have seen a bit of that. People looking uncomfortable when maskless people sit near them and not really knowing what to do. Agree enforcement is poor. I saw some transport police telling people to put masks on yesterday but that was literally the first time in months.
A pretty unrelated but funny story … the other week I saw a woman pretty much push through a crowd of people to get on and make sure she got a seat (there were loads anyway). Then a few stops further down someone sat in the seat next to her and she started kicking off about distancing, hilariously hypocritical!

The Paz Man

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:14 - Jun 12 with 1560 viewsurbanblue

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:54 - Jun 12 by bluelagos

"There are so many little things, for so many people"

Much is just at the annoyance level, real petty nonsense tbh. But many businesses are not helping themselves imho.

The Argos experience was real. I went in to buy something. Was literally a max of 2 customers in the shop. Get masked up, knew what I wanted, go and order and pay for it.

Then I am told to stand "inside the box". They have a 1m wide box taped off with that black and yellow tape, like they use for danger. I am treated like a leper and ordered to wait there until I am waved forward. The girl giving me the box no longer does that, she places it down and steps back the required 2m before beckoning me forward to collect it and leave.

Now I have never been one for enjoying shopping, for me it has always been a functional thing rather than an enjoyable thing. But when it reaches the point where I am made to feel like a leper, I simply chose not to engage with businesses that treat me in that way.

That goes for a shop, a pub or a cafe. If you genuinely bark at me I'll choose to go elsewhere. I appreciate what is behind such conduct (a fear of spreading the virus, a desire to keep staff and customers safe) but there are ways of doing it and ways of not doing it.

I think the above experience, which is not unique and is being repeated in many places will be a real issue for businesses and will be contributing significantly to the slow uptake of trade once again. Spoke to girl in a motorbike clothing shop the other day and aside from 2 busy weeks when they reopened - their business is back at barely 50% of normal levels. There will be many other shops in similar positions am sure.

And to reiterate, I have no worries about extending the full reopening for a few more weeks. As irritating as it all is.

I know I'm not in the UK so can't comment about personal experience, but from talking to friends and family there seemed a genuine belief that once the vaccine was rolled out things would go back to normal. Now that doesn't appear to be the case I am picking up complete disappointment and frustration.

I spoke to my Sister only yesterday who described going for a meal that seemed like an ordeal. A mate, who loves the pub, says he is not bothering any more and that the rules do not make the experience enjoyable.
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:18 - Jun 12 with 1543 viewsVic

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 07:21 - Jun 12 by lazyblue

At the end of the day a wedding day is so very hyped is ridiculous

Not when you’ve paid out a few thousand quid it isn’t!!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:18 - Jun 12 with 1543 viewsurbanblue

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 06:04 - Jun 12 by BarcaBlue

So no chance that Spain can be on the green list before July 19th, regardless of local factors?

I'm not sure whether Factors knows the answer to that!
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:22 - Jun 12 with 1525 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:06 - Jun 12 by bluelagos

Don't think it's clear yet. I can't see them being retained in shops, maybe on public transport.

At the speedway, which is outside ffs, you have to wear one. Proper hot at the last 2 meets at Ipswich and fair to say compliance was dropping with the heat making them uncomfortable for many.

Perhaps they were worried about all that dust!

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:25 - Jun 12 with 1523 viewsSteve_M

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:14 - Jun 12 by urbanblue

I know I'm not in the UK so can't comment about personal experience, but from talking to friends and family there seemed a genuine belief that once the vaccine was rolled out things would go back to normal. Now that doesn't appear to be the case I am picking up complete disappointment and frustration.

I spoke to my Sister only yesterday who described going for a meal that seemed like an ordeal. A mate, who loves the pub, says he is not bothering any more and that the rules do not make the experience enjoyable.

The real point here is that the roll out hasn’t got far enough, infections are currently rising amongst the cohort not fully vaccinated. There’s a lot of regional variation too as well but the demographic split of pretty stark.

Another month should hopefully make a difference. I’m not bothered about wearing a mask, it’s a minor inconvenience, but I would like to get back to watching live sport and music above all else. That’s getting there (I went to Lord’s for the T20 this week but not quite normal).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:30 - Jun 12 with 1509 viewsVic

Sounds like there was a bit of misunderstanding as to how long the vaccine would take to get things back to normal. Personally I always assumed it would take a while for it to roll out.

I find it mildly frustrating that the whole country is now likely to be affected because some groups of people were vaccine cautious and have allowed this new variant to get a hold. Now we here in sleepy Suffolk where take up is over 90% are going to be held back by places where take up was only 50 - 60%.

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:31 - Jun 12 with 1501 viewsbluelagos

So I went to a pub at Orford this week, sit down and there are signs saying it's an app service. Don't carry a flash phone so can't use it.

Wonder inside and upto the bar only to be told I can not order at the bar. I should use the app.

Get into a discussion over my lack of a phone. Meanwhile another customer is waving the app at the bar staff stating it doesn't work and he's tried 3 times to order his meal. Now they want my details for test and trace. Even though I am soon to be sitting outside.

Eventually they agree to take our orders by hand, but we have to go outside first. So I wonder out and the tables are full bar one. I hot foot it to the table and another customer if left with no where to sit.

The staff were great, took out orders, food was nice. But the wait for the orders, drinks, food - if you want a drink you sit trying to get the attention of staff. It kind of makes the experience of going for a couple of pints a whole lot less pleasurable. And people are voting with their feet.

The sooner the rules are ditched and hospitality is returned to normal, the sooner these businesses can pick up again. In my village there are 4 pubs. Only 1 was open on Bank holiday monday evening. The other 3 closed due to lack of customers. When drinking (like shopping) is made a chore, people will do less of it. And they are, make no bones about it.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:35 - Jun 12 with 1495 viewsvapour_trail

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:30 - Jun 12 by Vic

Sounds like there was a bit of misunderstanding as to how long the vaccine would take to get things back to normal. Personally I always assumed it would take a while for it to roll out.

I find it mildly frustrating that the whole country is now likely to be affected because some groups of people were vaccine cautious and have allowed this new variant to get a hold. Now we here in sleepy Suffolk where take up is over 90% are going to be held back by places where take up was only 50 - 60%.

I really don’t think you should be blaming a very small percentage of the population who are resistant to the vaccination for the extension. There’s still a much larger cohort yet to receive that protection.

You could have a look at the government for once again being so late in taking action when the risk was apparent to all of us, because Johnson didn’t want to call of his trip to India and got his priorities all wrong, again.

More broadly, this risk was always in play.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:42 - Jun 12 with 1484 viewsVic

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:35 - Jun 12 by vapour_trail

I really don’t think you should be blaming a very small percentage of the population who are resistant to the vaccination for the extension. There’s still a much larger cohort yet to receive that protection.

You could have a look at the government for once again being so late in taking action when the risk was apparent to all of us, because Johnson didn’t want to call of his trip to India and got his priorities all wrong, again.

Yep I agree that some of the blame lies at the governments door. But we as a population do surely have some responsibility in this as well. I’m not trying to be argumentative, but can it not be said that had the take up been as high in the northwest as it is in Suffolk it’s at least possible that the Delta variant wouldn’t have got a foothold so quickly. It’s like when the small group of lads messed about in class and everyone got detention.

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:46 - Jun 12 with 1467 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:42 - Jun 12 by Vic

Yep I agree that some of the blame lies at the governments door. But we as a population do surely have some responsibility in this as well. I’m not trying to be argumentative, but can it not be said that had the take up been as high in the northwest as it is in Suffolk it’s at least possible that the Delta variant wouldn’t have got a foothold so quickly. It’s like when the small group of lads messed about in class and everyone got detention.

Thankfully the population has the lateral flow tests to help keep our children and us all safe....oh!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/us-health-agency-gives-innova-late

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:48 - Jun 12 with 1467 viewspointofblue

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:35 - Jun 12 by vapour_trail

The irony is Brexit was partially about taking control of our borders (supposedly). We could have followed Australia’s route and shut them but for some reason deemed it unnecessary to do so. We’re now a state which should never have happened. Delaying step four is the only option but it was preventable.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:52 - Jun 12 with 1461 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 09:31 - Jun 12 by bluelagos

So I went to a pub at Orford this week, sit down and there are signs saying it's an app service. Don't carry a flash phone so can't use it.

Wonder inside and upto the bar only to be told I can not order at the bar. I should use the app.

Get into a discussion over my lack of a phone. Meanwhile another customer is waving the app at the bar staff stating it doesn't work and he's tried 3 times to order his meal. Now they want my details for test and trace. Even though I am soon to be sitting outside.

Eventually they agree to take our orders by hand, but we have to go outside first. So I wonder out and the tables are full bar one. I hot foot it to the table and another customer if left with no where to sit.

The staff were great, took out orders, food was nice. But the wait for the orders, drinks, food - if you want a drink you sit trying to get the attention of staff. It kind of makes the experience of going for a couple of pints a whole lot less pleasurable. And people are voting with their feet.

The sooner the rules are ditched and hospitality is returned to normal, the sooner these businesses can pick up again. In my village there are 4 pubs. Only 1 was open on Bank holiday monday evening. The other 3 closed due to lack of customers. When drinking (like shopping) is made a chore, people will do less of it. And they are, make no bones about it.

We will have to meet for a drink sometime when you are out on one of your jaunts...Miss Slave just asked if you ever got that bus, I said sorry just motorbikes, she says "nah it's over!"

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:21 - Jun 12 with 1421 viewsLord_Lucan

You make a fair point, in fact a very good point.

I would probably have gone for a pint last night but I couldn't be arsed to go through the rigmarole of phoning for a seat and hoping that they had a space at the bar as I wouldn't want to be on the sad bastard alone table.

The pub I am talking about spent a lot of money on high quality acrylic screens and they have a great table service system, it is very effective.

I was in there last Friday and the system was working so well that I asked the landlord if he was going to continue with this operation after Covid. He said he probably will for a few reasons, mainly I think because it cost him a pretty penny and he had nowhere to store the screens so if he binned them he would have to go through the motions again in the event of Covid2

For that pub it wouldn't bother me as the service is great, the only thing that narks me a bit is that the screens prevent you from chatting the barmaids up after you have had a few pints and your brain has shrunk your stomach, given you more hair and fixed your teeth.

I joke but I think it's a fair point, part of going to the pub is having idle chit chat with the wench or ne'er do well behind the bar.

Covid has also given the excuse for firms to cut back on services. I went to the sorting office last week but it was closed because of Covid, WTF? There is no reason, it is an excuse, it's another Covid Con.

I am also guilty of this, if one of our deliveries fails because the warehouse guy is a cretin - blame covid. Anything bad happens - blame Covid, people have no choice but to accept it. In fact people are now conditioned inasmuch that if they don't accept it they think they are committing a heinous crime

It's a bit like criticising footballers for taking the knee.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:22 - Jun 12 with 1419 viewsStokieBlue

I'm not a huge fan of ordering to the table through the apps but I know quite a few people who prefer it and hope that it's the way things will continue.

Each to their own I guess.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:31 - Jun 12 with 1398 viewsFunge

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:17 - Jun 12 by vapour_trail

Lots of pious folk on this thread. This extension will have negative implications for a lot of people. It may be necessary and we will live with it and that is fine, but the responses on this thread thoroughly piss me off and I will try to avoid engaging with these people to avoid an internet argument that benefits nobody.

Very much agree with all of this.
June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:36 - Jun 12 with 1385 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:21 - Jun 12 by Lord_Lucan

You make a fair point, in fact a very good point.

I would probably have gone for a pint last night but I couldn't be arsed to go through the rigmarole of phoning for a seat and hoping that they had a space at the bar as I wouldn't want to be on the sad bastard alone table.

The pub I am talking about spent a lot of money on high quality acrylic screens and they have a great table service system, it is very effective.

I was in there last Friday and the system was working so well that I asked the landlord if he was going to continue with this operation after Covid. He said he probably will for a few reasons, mainly I think because it cost him a pretty penny and he had nowhere to store the screens so if he binned them he would have to go through the motions again in the event of Covid2

For that pub it wouldn't bother me as the service is great, the only thing that narks me a bit is that the screens prevent you from chatting the barmaids up after you have had a few pints and your brain has shrunk your stomach, given you more hair and fixed your teeth.

I joke but I think it's a fair point, part of going to the pub is having idle chit chat with the wench or ne'er do well behind the bar.

Covid has also given the excuse for firms to cut back on services. I went to the sorting office last week but it was closed because of Covid, WTF? There is no reason, it is an excuse, it's another Covid Con.

I am also guilty of this, if one of our deliveries fails because the warehouse guy is a cretin - blame covid. Anything bad happens - blame Covid, people have no choice but to accept it. In fact people are now conditioned inasmuch that if they don't accept it they think they are committing a heinous crime

It's a bit like criticising footballers for taking the knee.

You just couldn't help yourself at the end there could you...and when all the rest had been so uncontroversial! ;)

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:39 - Jun 12 with 1383 viewsLord_Lucan

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 08:17 - Jun 12 by vapour_trail

Thing is Vapes, you have your head screwed on, you generally post extremely balanced views on all sorts of issues.

Gotta say though I'm in favour of a sort of feck it, let's get on with it approach.

I don't think you should compare this sort of view to that of a David Icke type.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:39 - Jun 12 with 1375 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:22 - Jun 12 by StokieBlue

I'm not a huge fan of ordering to the table through the apps but I know quite a few people who prefer it and hope that it's the way things will continue.

Each to their own I guess.

SB

Ideally the food will arrive via the medium of robot....should help with the property price boom too as hardly any actual workers will be needed any more. #dystopianfutures

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:45 - Jun 12 with 1375 viewsLord_Lucan

June 21st unlocking to become July 19th on 10:36 - Jun 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

You just couldn't help yourself at the end there could you...and when all the rest had been so uncontroversial! ;)

You'll all miss me when I'm dead Stevey.

There will be no acrylic screens at my wake.

And there will also be no Footers, he has been very horrid to me of late.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024