Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. 19:18 - Jun 12 with 2476 viewsnoggin

Last summer, we were called to a cardiac arrest of an 82 year old man. The man had collapsed on his boat and that was 20 km away from us. The guy's brother was with him when he collapsed and he had started chest compressions. Thankfully the boat was tied up and not at sea.
When we finally arrived on scene,the local fire truck was already there and the water fairies were doing CPR. As we arrived at the boat, they shocked him with their defib and continued compressions. As I climbed onto the boat, he woke up. He couldn't remember being unwell but he knew where he was and what day it was. The HEMS helicopter landed close by and the patient walked to greet the doctor.
Such an outcome is very rare for someone so old but it goes to show how quick thinking and actions can really save a life. The guy was flown to hospital where he was stented and is now living a completely normal life.
Respect to those who worked on CE because their quick response has more than likely saved his life.

Learn CPR folks. One day you might just be there when someone collapses and imagine the feeling if you save that person's life. There is no better feeling, believe me.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:22 - Jun 12 with 2070 viewsBlueBadger

I would like to second this. Had a 50 year old guy in the other week. All told, a 30 minute 'down time' but got a prompt shock and family did effective CPR immediately.

That chap is now on his way home and looking forward to the birth of his first grandchild next month.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 17:15]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:27 - Jun 12 with 2010 viewsRyorry

I'd love a refresher on CPR, but Covid has put a stopper on hiring our village hall for a first-aid course, not to mention the minimum number of people willing to sign up for it (village is tiny).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:29 - Jun 12 with 2004 viewsnoggin

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:27 - Jun 12 by Ryorry

I'd love a refresher on CPR, but Covid has put a stopper on hiring our village hall for a first-aid course, not to mention the minimum number of people willing to sign up for it (village is tiny).

I never even considered that Ryorry. Even watching a decent YouTube video will help refresh your memory. Any help is better than no help.

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:29 - Jun 12 with 2001 viewsBlueBadger

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:22 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

I would like to second this. Had a 50 year old guy in the other week. All told, a 30 minute 'down time' but got a prompt shock and family did effective CPR immediately.

That chap is now on his way home and looking forward to the birth of his first grandchild next month.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 17:15]

Additionally:

https://www.resus.org.uk/public-resource/how-save-lives-cpr

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:31 - Jun 12 with 2003 viewseastangliaisblue

I'll third this. I had to perform CPR on a male in his late 50's when in the Fire Service and it saved his life. Another important thing to mention is find out where your nearest Defib is people.

Edit: That also includes crew mates performing CPR.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 19:51]
A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:34 - Jun 12 with 1966 viewsRyorry

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:29 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

Additionally:

Excellent, I'll create a proper study period to get that into my head, thanks 👍

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 20:01 - Jun 12 with 1862 viewsfabian_illness

We did first aid courses in the scouts when I was a kid.
We practiced on a rubber dummy they used to bring round in a suitcase.

A good few years later, I was fitting some new rads at a house and the lady came rushing in saying her husband had collapsed whilst cutting up some firewood.
Luckily I was able to remember the training, the ambulance crew arrived and took over but unfortunately the gentleman died a little later.
I was thankful for the fact I’d learnt, not a nice outcome that day but at least I was able to try.
A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 20:13 - Jun 12 with 1818 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 20:01 - Jun 12 by fabian_illness

We did first aid courses in the scouts when I was a kid.
We practiced on a rubber dummy they used to bring round in a suitcase.

A good few years later, I was fitting some new rads at a house and the lady came rushing in saying her husband had collapsed whilst cutting up some firewood.
Luckily I was able to remember the training, the ambulance crew arrived and took over but unfortunately the gentleman died a little later.
I was thankful for the fact I’d learnt, not a nice outcome that day but at least I was able to try.

Same happened to Miss Slave while gardening for an aged couple...learn folks!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 21:25 - Jun 12 with 1700 viewsMeadowlark

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:31 - Jun 12 by eastangliaisblue

I'll third this. I had to perform CPR on a male in his late 50's when in the Fire Service and it saved his life. Another important thing to mention is find out where your nearest Defib is people.

Edit: That also includes crew mates performing CPR.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 19:51]

Why is "male" now the way that blokes are referred to?
I've noticed it a lot when police are speaking about incidents too. Is there an agenda I'm not aware of?
A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 21:32 - Jun 12 with 1680 viewsjeera

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 21:25 - Jun 12 by Meadowlark

I've noticed it a lot when police are speaking about incidents too. Is there an agenda I'm not aware of?

I think maybe you're just noticing?

It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

And I can remember yesterday quite clearly so it's not my memory.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 21:36 - Jun 12 with 1647 viewsJ2BLUE

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 21:25 - Jun 12 by Meadowlark

It's always been that way in my lifetime.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 21:55 - Jun 12 with 1621 viewseastangliaisblue

It's just what the emergency services refer to. Or did when i was in the Fire Service anyway. There's no hidden agenda.
A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 22:49 - Jun 12 with 1557 viewsBlueBadger

Its how emergency service professionals are taught to hand over from one to another. There's no agenda beyond 'we need to communicate information really quick sharpish'.

Personally, I hand people over with something like 'Shirley* is a 63 year old lady from....' but then, I'm mostly not handing people over in immediate crisis, because we've already passed that point and we're in the more distinctly grey area of 'might qualify for ITU at some point, but I might need to do a sales pitch at some point'.

*Not their real name, obviously

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 22:51 - Jun 12 with 1559 viewsBlueBadger

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:34 - Jun 12 by Ryorry

Excellent, I'll create a proper study period to get that into my head, thanks 👍

You have genuinely gladdened my heart with this post, Ryorrers. Just remember - if you're not utterly knackered after 90 seconds you aren't doing CPR properly.

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 23:01 - Jun 12 with 1537 viewsSuperblue95

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 22:51 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

You have genuinely gladdened my heart with this post, Ryorrers. Just remember - if you're not utterly knackered after 90 seconds you aren't doing CPR properly.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 23:16 - Jun 12 with 1520 viewsfooters

This is going to be a silly late-night post but I said much the same earlier in person and think it's pretty valid.

You, noggin, and anyone who does this for a living or volunteers to do it in a work capacity or in their free time, I have so much time and respect for you.

I'm a coward and freely admit it.

Not so long ago, few years maybe, there was a guy who'd come off his motorbike at a junction near my old house - I saw people running over to him to help but I admit I turned the other way because I couldn't deal with the situation and feel properly sh1t for doing it. The extent of his injuries just terrified me and not knowing what to do just made me feel very lost, being honest, and I walked away.

Any of you who don't do that and don't shirk away from these horrible situations are absolute heroes, and my thoughts and thanks go out to you all. If we had more brave peeps like your and fewer d1cks like me the world would be a better place.

I can't remember the exact game recently but there's a great clip of a player opening another's mouth to get his tongue out from his throat to stop him choking - that's the sort of info amd action we need to drill into the youngsters to take into everyday life. That goalie's immediate reaction to that probably saved that fella's life.

Was a really touch and go moment earlier in the game - and all my thoughts go to Eriksen - but just makes you think how precious it all is and how little any of the other boll0cks actually matters.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 23:47 - Jun 12 with 1463 viewsWeWereZombies

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 23:16 - Jun 12 by footers

This is going to be a silly late-night post but I said much the same earlier in person and think it's pretty valid.

You, noggin, and anyone who does this for a living or volunteers to do it in a work capacity or in their free time, I have so much time and respect for you.

Not so long ago, few years maybe, there was a guy who'd come off his motorbike at a junction near my old house - I saw people running over to him to help but I admit I turned the other way because I couldn't deal with the situation and feel properly sh1t for doing it. The extent of his injuries just terrified me and not knowing what to do just made me feel very lost, being honest, and I walked away.

Any of you who don't do that and don't shirk away from these horrible situations are absolute heroes, and my thoughts and thanks go out to you all. If we had more brave peeps like your and fewer d1cks like me the world would be a better place.

I can't remember the exact game recently but there's a great clip of a player opening another's mouth to get his tongue out from his throat to stop him choking - that's the sort of info amd action we need to drill into the youngsters to take into everyday life. That goalie's immediate reaction to that probably saved that fella's life.

Was a really touch and go moment earlier in the game - and all my thoughts go to Eriksen - but just makes you think how precious it all is and how little any of the other boll0cks actually matters.

Was this the clip you were thinking of?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 00:36 - Jun 13 with 1416 viewsRyorry

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 22:51 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

That's the kind of basic info that can make all the difference if people ever encounter such real life situations, & I'll remember it if I do thanks - albeit I hope I never need to!

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 06:00 - Jun 13 with 1318 viewsnoggin

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 23:16 - Jun 12 by footers

Being afraid of the sight of someone who is suffering doesn't make you a coward footers, it shows you care. Remember, when I do my job, I have time to prepare myself for what I might see and plan what I must do. I also have at least one colleague and an ambulance full of equipment at my disposal, as well as the opportunity to request HEMS.

Advice if you are ever at the scene of a serious incident again, dial 999. That is the most important job and might well be what saves the victim. Another very important job is to stop traffic from approaching the scene. If possible, divert cars away so that medics can work unhindered and if necessary, the helicopter can land.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 6:05]

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:03 - Jun 13 with 1155 viewsRyorry

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 06:00 - Jun 13 by noggin

Being afraid of the sight of someone who is suffering doesn't make you a coward footers, it shows you care. Remember, when I do my job, I have time to prepare myself for what I might see and plan what I must do. I also have at least one colleague and an ambulance full of equipment at my disposal, as well as the opportunity to request HEMS.

Advice if you are ever at the scene of a serious incident again, dial 999. That is the most important job and might well be what saves the victim. Another very important job is to stop traffic from approaching the scene. If possible, divert cars away so that medics can work unhindered and if necessary, the helicopter can land.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 6:05]

Are you still in Norway? Have a vague recollection you were contemplating returning to the UK.

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:10 - Jun 13 with 1134 viewsSwansea_Blue

Compound fractures of at least 3 ribs should be the absolute minimum. Def info.

Good post noggers and badge - great idea for a simple video refreshers for those of us who have learnt before but may be a bit rusty.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:21 - Jun 13 with 1108 viewsRyorry

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:10 - Jun 13 by Swansea_Blue

Compound fractures of at least 3 ribs should be the absolute minimum. Def info.

Good post noggers and badge - great idea for a simple video refreshers for those of us who have learnt before but may be a bit rusty.

"A bit"? The course I did was 15-20 years ago, and I think I've forgotten *everything*! Can't even remember correct side for recovery position - is it the left?

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:30 - Jun 13 with 1096 viewsSwansea_Blue

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:21 - Jun 13 by Ryorry

"A bit"? The course I did was 15-20 years ago, and I think I've forgotten *everything*! Can't even remember correct side for recovery position - is it the left?

I must be about the same. I remember that the mouth and nose are best for keeping airflow going, as the results are less predictable using other orifices!

I think I need a substantial refresher

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:36 - Jun 13 with 1086 viewsRyorry

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:30 - Jun 13 by Swansea_Blue

I must be about the same. I remember that the mouth and nose are best for keeping airflow going, as the results are less predictable using other orifices!

I think I need a substantial refresher

Could we maybe get a group going on here watching the link Badger posted & asking any questions, maybe Phil/Gav would sticky it? I think people are more likely to engage & complete if it's done as a community activity.

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:40 - Jun 13 with 1083 viewsSwansea_Blue

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 19:29 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

Additionally:

That’s an excellent resources. Should be essential viewing for everyone. Quite surprising to hear the UK has very low recovery rates for cardiac arrests out in the community. Presumably there’s a whole host of contributors from too little CPR knowledge in the community to medical response times, etc?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024