Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here 21:21 - Jun 12 with 1185 viewsSteve_M

He is right to be though, all a bit of a mess at the moment.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/eng-vs-nz-2021-2nd-test-edgbaston-fortress-ed

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 21:31 - Jun 12 with 1124 viewsIpswichKnight

It is a mess, you have no confidence that we won’t be 50/3 or worse, we don’t have a number 3 and an opener for whose technique has been worked out by most of the worlds top bowlers, Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood must be thinking it’s Christmas if our current top 3 is named at the Gabba.

We should never go into a test without a spinner Root needs to be insistent that it happens. Our catching is appalling who ever the fielding coach is they ain’t doing a good job.
Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 21:39 - Jun 12 with 1092 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 21:31 - Jun 12 by IpswichKnight

It is a mess, you have no confidence that we won’t be 50/3 or worse, we don’t have a number 3 and an opener for whose technique has been worked out by most of the worlds top bowlers, Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood must be thinking it’s Christmas if our current top 3 is named at the Gabba.

We should never go into a test without a spinner Root needs to be insistent that it happens. Our catching is appalling who ever the fielding coach is they ain’t doing a good job.

Burns and Sibley are still the most productive of the many openers played since Strauss retired in 2012, not perfect but probably ok compared to the middle order mess.

Think the wider point about the ECB marginalising First Class cricket is as important, that absolute farce of the Hundred at the expense of both the county championship and the very successful T20 blast just bizarre.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 22:49 - Jun 12 with 983 viewsReuser_is_God

Our batting has been absolutely abject for 5 consecutive tests now.

Crawley & Pope could be so good but they just can’t survive an over of okay-ish bowling. Dan Lawrence is abut Pietersen-esque in how he plays a lot of unusual shots but I fear he’ll get worked over by the Aussies.

If Stokes & Buttler don’t find form for the India series then we are doomed.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 23:14 - Jun 12 with 950 viewsGuthrum

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 21:31 - Jun 12 by IpswichKnight

Problem is, we need to find a decent quality, in-form spinner who doesn't refuse to play the red-ball game. Leach is the closest we have and he doesn't appear to be quite good enough. Something has gone wrong with Moeen Ali. Part-timer Root is almost as effective as they are currently - but that adds an extra burden to the Captain and one of our few reliable batsmen.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 23:32 - Jun 12 with 924 viewsMelford

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 21:39 - Jun 12 by Steve_M

Burns and Sibley are still the most productive of the many openers played since Strauss retired in 2012, not perfect but probably ok compared to the middle order mess.

Think the wider point about the ECB marginalising First Class cricket is as important, that absolute farce of the Hundred at the expense of both the county championship and the very successful T20 blast just bizarre.

There's nothing wrong with Burns and The Vicar. I think they are a very good opening pair.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 07:42 - Jun 13 with 771 viewschicoazul

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 23:32 - Jun 12 by Melford

There's nothing wrong with Burns and The Vicar. I think they are a very good opening pair.

They aren’t. None of our batsmen are apart from Root, he’s the only bat who averages 40+ in Tests. Our batsmen are pathetically bad and have been for years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 09:24 - Jun 13 with 667 viewsGuthrum

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 23:32 - Jun 12 by Melford

Sibley just seems unable to pick up the scoring rate. All very well to have someone occupying the crease for three sessions, but not if they're only going to put on 20 or 30 runs in the process. He'd be better coming out just before the tail, to support the last proper batsman.

For all his notoriously defensive play, Boycott averaged 47 in Tests and 56 in First Class matches. Sibley's figures are 31 and 39 respectively.

Burns is much better in that respect, but still quite fragile. Crawley is really struggling - if you take out that humungous 267 against Pakistan (the only time he's scored more than 66), he's averaging 19 in Tests, at No. 3, the most vital position in building a good innings.

We can't have Joe Root coming out at No. 4 with the new ball still fresh and (often much) less than 50 on the board. It gives him too much to do and deprives the team of wickets in hand thus constraining the middle order big hitters (when present).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 11:35 - Jun 13 with 605 viewsIpswichKnight

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 09:24 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Sibley just seems unable to pick up the scoring rate. All very well to have someone occupying the crease for three sessions, but not if they're only going to put on 20 or 30 runs in the process. He'd be better coming out just before the tail, to support the last proper batsman.

For all his notoriously defensive play, Boycott averaged 47 in Tests and 56 in First Class matches. Sibley's figures are 31 and 39 respectively.

Burns is much better in that respect, but still quite fragile. Crawley is really struggling - if you take out that humungous 267 against Pakistan (the only time he's scored more than 66), he's averaging 19 in Tests, at No. 3, the most vital position in building a good innings.

We can't have Joe Root coming out at No. 4 with the new ball still fresh and (often much) less than 50 on the board. It gives him too much to do and deprives the team of wickets in hand thus constraining the middle order big hitters (when present).

As Michael Vaughan rightly said you can’t have Sibley batting with anyone else like him the scoring rate goes nowhere and let’s the bowling side build pressure. He can build an innings around other players, Sir Alistair Cook as he anchored an innings while the likes of Pieterson and co upped the scoring rate.

The ECB have thrown millions on the hundred for a competition that I’m not is really needed. I get they are looking to get more families to cricket like the big bash but that budget I feel would have been better spent with the counties to improve the T20, the forward thinking counties would deliver on that premise if given the support instead the ECB have disenfranchised the whole of East England and told us support the North London team! It’s also shoved the county championship further to the edges.
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 12:14 - Jun 13 with 573 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 11:35 - Jun 13 by IpswichKnight

As Michael Vaughan rightly said you can’t have Sibley batting with anyone else like him the scoring rate goes nowhere and let’s the bowling side build pressure. He can build an innings around other players, Sir Alistair Cook as he anchored an innings while the likes of Pieterson and co upped the scoring rate.

The ECB have thrown millions on the hundred for a competition that I’m not is really needed. I get they are looking to get more families to cricket like the big bash but that budget I feel would have been better spent with the counties to improve the T20, the forward thinking counties would deliver on that premise if given the support instead the ECB have disenfranchised the whole of East England and told us support the North London team! It’s also shoved the county championship further to the edges.

I'm only on the fringes of cricket (enjoy watching/listening to Tests & some 1-dayers/T20) but from that boundary it feels to me like that 'hundred' comp is just another distraction that few people either know or care about - in fact which actually dilutes interest in cricket still further.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 12:23 - Jun 13 with 555 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Dobell sounds seriously annoyed here on 21:39 - Jun 12 by Steve_M

I think people look at their techniques and the fact that they both are unique in style and uneasy on the eye they are given little leeway. Then you compare that with someone like Ollie Pope, who looks terrific at the crease, plays some lovely shots and then gets himself out after 20 balls. There doesn’t seem to be as many question marks over him compared to Sibley, who in comparison has consistently scored more runs than Pope over recent series.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024