Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oi MerseyBlue 12:57 - Jun 17 with 1178 viewsLord_Lucan

Was it you I was discussing Stephen Morris's book with?

Anyhoo, after the first 5 minutes I nearly gave up but it has developed. I have travelled back and forth to Norwich twice listening to it and he has only just left school, so it covers a lot of his childhood.

He's no Hooky but it's fairly interesting.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Oi MerseyBlue on 13:24 - Jun 17 with 1126 viewsBlueastheycome

If you ever get the chance… pick up Bernard Sumner’s autobiography. It was one of the best autos I have ever read and I’ve read quite a few autos!

Also.. have you seen Peter Hook and the Light live? Half Joy D, half New Order. And he can carry off the Joy D stuff off superbly. If you shut your eyes you can really be taken there.

I believe Hooks son also performs in the band with him too (or at least did when I saw them)
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 13:24]
Oi MerseyBlue on 14:17 - Jun 17 with 1074 viewsLord_Lucan

Oi MerseyBlue on 13:24 - Jun 17 by Blueastheycome

If you ever get the chance… pick up Bernard Sumner’s autobiography. It was one of the best autos I have ever read and I’ve read quite a few autos!

Also.. have you seen Peter Hook and the Light live? Half Joy D, half New Order. And he can carry off the Joy D stuff off superbly. If you shut your eyes you can really be taken there.

I believe Hooks son also performs in the band with him too (or at least did when I saw them)

I want to read Bernards autobiography although to be honest i'm not sure how much of it I will believe, the other problem is that there isn't an audio version and for some reason my brain cannot read a book at the moment, I can't focus. Too much going on probably.

last time I saw Hooky was with New Order at Hyde Park.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Oi MerseyBlue on 15:09 - Jun 17 with 1051 viewsBarcaBlue

I think it was me chatting about the NO member books. I've heard snippets from the Morris book and he sounded a fine story teller.
Oi MerseyBlue on 15:11 - Jun 17 with 1044 viewsBlueastheycome

Oi MerseyBlue on 14:17 - Jun 17 by Lord_Lucan

I want to read Bernards autobiography although to be honest i'm not sure how much of it I will believe, the other problem is that there isn't an audio version and for some reason my brain cannot read a book at the moment, I can't focus. Too much going on probably.

That’s interesting. Why do you question Sumner? I recall there’s abit of beef there but from what I remember in the book he doesn’t go all out on Hook.

I found it fascinating as BS tells the story of the evolution of New Order from Joy Division. That weird in between bit after Curtis died and then the band exploring and being influenced by the New York club scene in the early 80’s and bringing it over here and in their music.

It’s been a while since I read it but it always sticks out as a really memorable book. Shame there is no audio version for you
Oi MerseyBlue on 15:23 - Jun 17 with 1030 viewsLord_Lucan

Oi MerseyBlue on 15:09 - Jun 17 by BarcaBlue

I think it was me chatting about the NO member books. I've heard snippets from the Morris book and he sounded a fine story teller.

To be honest he has a weird delivery. He sort of fails my "Would you want to go on the lash with him" test so I was sceptical from the start - although I obviously would go on the lash with him because of JD and NO - but you get what I mean.

Oi MerseyBlue on 15:29 - Jun 17 with 1023 viewsLord_Lucan

Oi MerseyBlue on 15:11 - Jun 17 by Blueastheycome

That’s interesting. Why do you question Sumner? I recall there’s abit of beef there but from what I remember in the book he doesn’t go all out on Hook.

I found it fascinating as BS tells the story of the evolution of New Order from Joy Division. That weird in between bit after Curtis died and then the band exploring and being influenced by the New York club scene in the early 80’s and bringing it over here and in their music.

It’s been a while since I read it but it always sticks out as a really memorable book. Shame there is no audio version for you

Now of course I don't personally know Barney or Hooky but I am a long standing New Order fan and from what I understand Barney is a bit of a snivelling little sh1t.

I watched New Order at The Ally Pally 2018 on the television the other evening and Barney was singing, Stephen was on the drums and Gillian was doing whatever she claims to do but without Hooky's presence Barney has got total control of how he wants things done and it was all whooping, above head hand clapping and generally being a bit poncey.

They may be calling themselves New Order and they may play New Order songs - but New Order they are not.

IMHO

Oi MerseyBlue on 15:40 - Jun 17 with 997 viewsMerseyBlue

Not me but will be having a look at Morris and Sumner's books on the basis of this thread, so cheers for that!

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Oi MerseyBlue on 16:12 - Jun 17 with 959 viewsurbanblue

Oi MerseyBlue on 13:24 - Jun 17 by Blueastheycome

I saw Hooky do Joy Division Orchestrated at Sydney Opera House in 2019. He had a brilliant singer channelling Ian Curtis.

Excellent gig

[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 16:14]
Login to get fewer ads

Oi MerseyBlue on 16:26 - Jun 17 with 934 viewsFunge

Oi MerseyBlue on 15:29 - Jun 17 by Lord_Lucan

Now of course I don't personally know Barney or Hooky but I am a long standing New Order fan and from what I understand Barney is a bit of a snivelling little sh1t.

I watched New Order at The Ally Pally 2018 on the television the other evening and Barney was singing, Stephen was on the drums and Gillian was doing whatever she claims to do but without Hooky's presence Barney has got total control of how he wants things done and it was all whooping, above head hand clapping and generally being a bit poncey.

They may be calling themselves New Order and they may play New Order songs - but New Order they are not.

IMHO

I'm down with this.

No Hooky = no New Order.

Saw Hooky and The Light at the budgie Waterfront a couple years ago; outstanding gig. Think I was at the same NO Hyde Park gig as you, 2006?

In similar news, Pixies without Kim are still pretty good.
Oi MerseyBlue on 16:45 - Jun 17 with 918 viewsLord_Lucan

Oi MerseyBlue on 16:26 - Jun 17 by Funge

I'm down with this.

No Hooky = no New Order.

Saw Hooky and The Light at the budgie Waterfront a couple years ago; outstanding gig. Think I was at the same NO Hyde Park gig as you, 2006?

In similar news, Pixies without Kim are still pretty good.

Yes I think it was 2005 or 2006

I think Hooky had just become sober, it was a great sunny day / evening.

I think Moby was supporting and once finished 100's of people left. I could never really make that out.

Edit; Oh and by the way, I asked around for an England flag for you but I was always asked if you were a responsible person or would you get hammered and lose the flag.

Sorry I couldn't help.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 16:47]

Oi MerseyBlue on 18:49 - Jun 17 with 872 viewsgainsboroughblue

Oi MerseyBlue on 14:17 - Jun 17 by Lord_Lucan

Was that in 2002? I was there too if so and it absolutely rained like a b****rd.

Edit. Actually, ignore me. I saw them at Finsbury Park. Dee Dee Ramone had died the day before.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 18:50]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Oi MerseyBlue on 18:57 - Jun 17 with 853 viewsLord_Lucan

Oi MerseyBlue on 18:49 - Jun 17 by gainsboroughblue

Was that in 2002? I was there too if so and it absolutely rained like a b****rd.

Edit. Actually, ignore me. I saw them at Finsbury Park. Dee Dee Ramone had died the day before.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 18:50]

No, it was definitely 2005 or 2006, I know this because Dalai took a new bird along and she coincided with those years.

Oi MerseyBlue on 20:57 - Jun 17 with 798 viewsBarcaBlue

Oi MerseyBlue on 15:29 - Jun 17 by Lord_Lucan

IMHO

I'm not sure I see things that way although that is probably the take from Hooky's book. By his own admission he could be a real d1ck himself til he gave up the booze.

Sumner gives a very different version, I assume Morris wil be similar given the animosity between Gillian and Hooky. You can let us know when you get past his schooldays.

I kind of agree about New Order without Hooky, very much a greatest hits tribute band. They have so many great songs that are never played live. I'd still go and see them if they popped up in Catalonia, Peter Hook too.
Oi MerseyBlue on 21:20 - Jun 17 with 778 viewsBarcaBlue

Forgot to mention, I have 2 dogs, huskie / rottweiler cross. Lovely dogs but always winding each other up, I was going to say fighting with each other but that would give the wrong impression. Anyhow, I agreed with my kids to get them as puppies with the proviso I got to choose the names. - Barney and Hooky..

They are siblings, deep down I'm sure they love each other but it's always Barney who gets his way.
Oi MerseyBlue on 21:25 - Jun 17 with 773 viewsLord_Lucan

Oi MerseyBlue on 20:57 - Jun 17 by BarcaBlue

I'm not sure I see things that way although that is probably the take from Hooky's book. By his own admission he could be a real d1ck himself til he gave up the booze.

Sumner gives a very different version, I assume Morris wil be similar given the animosity between Gillian and Hooky. You can let us know when you get past his schooldays.

I kind of agree about New Order without Hooky, very much a greatest hits tribute band. They have so many great songs that are never played live. I'd still go and see them if they popped up in Catalonia, Peter Hook too.

Understand what you are saying but it's been an opinion held by a few for many years.

I will indeed let you know what Hooky says but from what I know about Stephen Morris he will be middle of the road, he drives a Volvo FFS

There was a thread last week about either this, or covers -or something similar, and someone - I think it was Vapours - put a link up to Radiohead doing Ceremony, It was brilliant and I hadn't heard it before. I can't stop playing it!

Oi MerseyBlue on 21:36 - Jun 17 with 758 viewsLord_Lucan

Oi MerseyBlue on 21:20 - Jun 17 by BarcaBlue

Forgot to mention, I have 2 dogs, huskie / rottweiler cross. Lovely dogs but always winding each other up, I was going to say fighting with each other but that would give the wrong impression. Anyhow, I agreed with my kids to get them as puppies with the proviso I got to choose the names. - Barney and Hooky..

They are siblings, deep down I'm sure they love each other but it's always Barney who gets his way.

Ha, yeah, I make that right.

My first dog as an adult I called Burley (RIP). We have a couple at the moment called Bellatrix (not my doing) and Sir Bobby. All English Bull Terriers.

Lovely beasts - but Sir Bobby is a complete Motherfecker.

If you view any pictures of my grandkids you will see Sir Bobby in the frame, he guards them constantly. It's actually quite amazing.

I'm digressing but dogs are brilliant, there is no way I could be without one in the house.

Huskie / Rottweiler cross sounds blooming fantastic by the way, although I'm guessing the Husky has taken over on the hair front, which would be a problem for me.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 21:37]

Oi MerseyBlue on 21:52 - Jun 17 with 742 viewsjeera

Oi MerseyBlue on 21:36 - Jun 17 by Lord_Lucan

Ha, yeah, I make that right.

My first dog as an adult I called Burley (RIP). We have a couple at the moment called Bellatrix (not my doing) and Sir Bobby. All English Bull Terriers.

Lovely beasts - but Sir Bobby is a complete Motherfecker.

If you view any pictures of my grandkids you will see Sir Bobby in the frame, he guards them constantly. It's actually quite amazing.

I'm digressing but dogs are brilliant, there is no way I could be without one in the house.

Huskie / Rottweiler cross sounds blooming fantastic by the way, although I'm guessing the Husky has taken over on the hair front, which would be a problem for me.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 21:37]

You named your dog Bellatrix?

Bellatrix.

I hope for your sake it never gets out and you have to go looking for it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Oi MerseyBlue on 22:01 - Jun 17 with 733 viewsLord_Lucan

Oi MerseyBlue on 21:52 - Jun 17 by jeera

You named your dog Bellatrix?

Bellatrix.

I hope for your sake it never gets out and you have to go looking for it.

No.

No I didn't.

Everyone except me named the mutt Bellatrix. I had no say whatsoever. I was completely overuled.

I believe it's a stoopid Harry Potter thing.

On a positive note - by tradition Bull Terriers are named with a B. So we've had Burley, Bellatrix** and Sir Bobby, the next one is going top be called Beattie.

**Poor old Bellatrix is the most inoffensive dog and snuggles up to me of an evening, I can't believe I'm even dismissing her name. She would be heartbroken if she found out.

Oi MerseyBlue on 22:06 - Jun 17 with 720 viewsjeera

Oi MerseyBlue on 22:01 - Jun 17 by Lord_Lucan

No.

No I didn't.

Everyone except me named the mutt Bellatrix. I had no say whatsoever. I was completely overuled.

I believe it's a stoopid Harry Potter thing.

On a positive note - by tradition Bull Terriers are named with a B. So we've had Burley, Bellatrix** and Sir Bobby, the next one is going top be called Beattie.

**Poor old Bellatrix is the most inoffensive dog and snuggles up to me of an evening, I can't believe I'm even dismissing her name. She would be heartbroken if she found out.

It made me smile.

And I actually had to look it up.

First glance I assumed it was an Asterix the Gaul reference - which as I'm sure you agree, wouldn't have been so bad.

Sorry!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Oi MerseyBlue on 07:12 - Jun 18 with 632 viewsFunge

Oi MerseyBlue on 16:45 - Jun 17 by Lord_Lucan

Yes I think it was 2005 or 2006

I think Hooky had just become sober, it was a great sunny day / evening.

I think Moby was supporting and once finished 100's of people left. I could never really make that out.

Edit; Oh and by the way, I asked around for an England flag for you but I was always asked if you were a responsible person or would you get hammered and lose the flag.

Sorry I couldn't help.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 16:47]

Actual lol (as the kids say)

Today's gonna be fun.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024