Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns 09:43 - Jun 21 with 926 viewsThisIsMyUsername

So will/should our winter lockdown this year be to protect the NHS from Covid, or flu, or both?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57550596

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 10:10 - Jun 21 with 860 views26_Paz

Hopefully there won’t be any further lockdowns. A lock down for flu would seem very heavy handed and face much resistance

The Paz Man

Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 10:18 - Jun 21 with 848 viewsStokieBlue

I know you're not happy with how things have gone the last year (I doubt many people are) but this is very different to locking down for C19.

The reasons flu "might" be worse than C19 this year are:

- We probably won't be locked down
- Nobody got flu last year because we had restrictions against C19
- We have very effective vaccines for C19 now (better than the flu ones)

Please lets not start getting into a C19 and flu equivalence mindset again. Flu has an R of about 1.2, the Delta variant has an R of >6. C19 also has a higher mortality rate than seasonal flu.

Even without lockdowns flu simply won't spread as quickly as C19 and it won't kill as many people. Hopefully there will also be an mRNA vaccine for flu at some point which could possibly be more effective.

If you really want to help reduce the effect of flu this winter then you can continue to wear your mask in the winter months when in enclosed public spaces but I know you're very against that as well so I am not really sure what you want to hear.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

OPEN BENIDORM!!! (n/t) on 10:21 - Jun 21 with 827 viewsBloots

Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 10:18 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

I know you're not happy with how things have gone the last year (I doubt many people are) but this is very different to locking down for C19.

Please lets not start getting into a C19 and flu equivalence mindset again. Flu has an R of about 1.2, the Delta variant has an R of >6. C19 also has a higher mortality rate than seasonal flu.

Even without lockdowns flu simply won't spread as quickly as C19 and it won't kill as many people. Hopefully there will also be an mRNA vaccine for flu at some point which could possibly be more effective.

If you really want to help reduce the effect of flu this winter then you can continue to wear your mask in the winter months when in enclosed public spaces but I know you're very against that as well so I am not really sure what you want to hear.

SB

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 10:36 - Jun 21 with 795 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 10:18 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Good post and your key comment is about the R rate being much higher for Covid than flu. I also don't seriously expect at all a lockdown due to flu.

The BBC's lead caption is clearly intended to make people think 'things are going to be bad again this winter - this time from the flu'.

It will be 'interesting' to see whether flu has more of an impact this year compared to previous years, for example if peoples' natural defences have decreased; how many people do pass away from a renewed flu wave vs Covid; and any commentary as to whether one is more or less acceptable than the other.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 10:39 - Jun 21 with 779 viewsGuthrum

Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 10:36 - Jun 21 by ThisIsMyUsername

Good post and your key comment is about the R rate being much higher for Covid than flu. I also don't seriously expect at all a lockdown due to flu.

The BBC's lead caption is clearly intended to make people think 'things are going to be bad again this winter - this time from the flu'.

It will be 'interesting' to see whether flu has more of an impact this year compared to previous years, for example if peoples' natural defences have decreased; how many people do pass away from a renewed flu wave vs Covid; and any commentary as to whether one is more or less acceptable than the other.

Bear in mind that the 'Flu itself has taken a hit from lockdowns and mask-wearing. Meaning there could be fewer new variants around and a reduced number of existing carriers to catch it from.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 13:18 - Jun 21 with 631 viewsronnyd

What on earth are the media going to find to fill our pages/screens with when Covid finally (hopefully) disappears.
Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 13:56 - Jun 21 with 580 viewsStokieBlue

Flu could be a bigger problem than Covid this winter, expert warns on 13:18 - Jun 21 by ronnyd

What on earth are the media going to find to fill our pages/screens with when Covid finally (hopefully) disappears.

Hopefully lots of stuff on climate change given that seems to be the next thing on the list that people don't believe in after C19.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024