Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jaroslav Drobný 10:22 - Jun 21 with 1486 viewsHipsterectomy

I was wikipedia’ing some old Town seasons and saw we released him one summer. I’d never heard of the guy but looked him up and he had a relatively ok career as a (backup) keeper in the bundesliga.

This must have been the time we were shifting between Price and Supple.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Jaroslav Drobný on 10:25 - Jun 21 with 1444 viewssolemio

And there was me thinking he was a Wimbledon Singles champion and also French Open.
Few under the age of 65 would remember him!
Jaroslav Drobný on 13:25 - Jun 21 with 1181 viewsronnyd

Jaroslav Drobný on 10:25 - Jun 21 by solemio

And there was me thinking he was a Wimbledon Singles champion and also French Open.
Few under the age of 65 would remember him!

I'm 76 so i certainly remember him. All amateur players those days.
Jaroslav Drobný on 14:11 - Jun 21 with 1067 viewsblueislander

Jaroslav Drobný on 13:25 - Jun 21 by ronnyd

I'm 76 so i certainly remember him. All amateur players those days.

He never actually won Wimbledon , but he was pretty good. He was Czech , then Egyptian than became British. He would have been a contemporary of the likes of Tony Trabert, Lew Hoad, Ken Rosewall etc. The nearest we came to a Brit winning Wimbledon in those days was Bobby Wilson who was a perennial quarter finalist.

Correction he did win Wimbledon in 1954 beating Rosewall. Curiously this didn’t count as a British victory.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2021 14:15]
Jaroslav Drobný on 14:33 - Jun 21 with 1011 viewsBlueastheycome

About 9 years ago, me and my old man tried to pass some time in a long car journey by naming all the keepers we've had at Town since the turn of the millennium.

We were horrified by how many we've actually had and if I do recall it came to well over 20 odd. We had forgotten so many too that just as we thought we had named them all, another one would pop into our head!
Jaroslav Drobný on 15:16 - Jun 21 with 936 viewsHipsterectomy

Jaroslav Drobný on 14:33 - Jun 21 by Blueastheycome

About 9 years ago, me and my old man tried to pass some time in a long car journey by naming all the keepers we've had at Town since the turn of the millennium.

We were horrified by how many we've actually had and if I do recall it came to well over 20 odd. We had forgotten so many too that just as we thought we had named them all, another one would pop into our head!

There was a point we would go through 3 or 4 loan goalkeepers a season. It was really bizarre

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Jaroslav Drobný on 15:28 - Jun 21 with 908 viewsBlueastheycome

Jaroslav Drobný on 15:16 - Jun 21 by Hipsterectomy

There was a point we would go through 3 or 4 loan goalkeepers a season. It was really bizarre

and for the record.. It is obviously impossible to accurately recall now but I would hazard a guess that the one you named wouldn't have got a mention
Jaroslav Drobný on 16:37 - Jun 21 with 800 viewsChurchman

Jaroslav Drobný on 14:11 - Jun 21 by blueislander

He never actually won Wimbledon , but he was pretty good. He was Czech , then Egyptian than became British. He would have been a contemporary of the likes of Tony Trabert, Lew Hoad, Ken Rosewall etc. The nearest we came to a Brit winning Wimbledon in those days was Bobby Wilson who was a perennial quarter finalist.

Correction he did win Wimbledon in 1954 beating Rosewall. Curiously this didn’t count as a British victory.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2021 14:15]

Oddly, my parents saw that match at Wimbledon and were caught on Pathe news (or whatever the equivalent then was). Drobny definitely did beat Rosewall.

The next time my dad was on tv was when the Sky cameras caught him looking like Widow Twanky with a plastic bag on his head to keep the rain off at Carrow Road before the 1992 Monday night 2-0 game.
Jaroslav Drobný on 18:09 - Jun 21 with 720 viewsSuperCoops

I think this was around the time we had Mike Pollitt on loan for the one game. Also, I believe we had Nathan Abbey for a short time as keeper before letting him go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024