Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In amongst all this England angst.... 23:06 - Jun 22 with 1182 viewsBlueBadger

...have we all forgotten that Scotland, the Norwich City of International Football(Archie Gemmil scored a goal once, you know) have failed yet again, to make the knock-outs?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

In amongst all this England angst.... on 23:12 - Jun 22 with 1137 viewshoppy

But they'll still be involved in the round of 16, won't they? Isn't Glasgow hosting one of the games next Tuesday evening?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

In amongst all this England angst.... on 23:30 - Jun 22 with 1097 viewsWeWereZombies

Ahem

Scotland has more than one airport

And more than two cathedrals

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

In amongst all this England angst.... on 23:39 - Jun 22 with 1060 viewstractordownsouth

I'm surprised they didn't get through after their 0-0 win on Friday

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

In amongst all this England angst.... on 23:58 - Jun 22 with 1004 viewsStewart27

No it’s ok.

This tournament was a massive success for the participants.
In amongst all this England angst.... on 00:00 - Jun 23 with 998 viewsButterbing

You’ve made the “Norwich of international football” joke a few times with no bites. Give it up.
In amongst all this England angst.... on 06:51 - Jun 23 with 808 viewsBlueBadger

In amongst all this England angst.... on 00:00 - Jun 23 by Butterbing

You’ve made the “Norwich of international football” joke a few times with no bites. Give it up.

+1

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

In amongst all this England angst.... on 07:41 - Jun 23 with 725 viewsWeWereZombies

It does ring hollow now that Nodge are in the top division again (well, for a season at least...) but the bigger question, for me anyway, is whether this was a brief flowering of Scotland's potential or, as I hope, a project that Steve Clarke will be allowed to progress.

And Carrot Road will never resound to the type of vocal ability on show at Hampden.

In amongst all this England angst.... on 08:36 - Jun 23 with 655 viewsGeoffSentence

I blame Andy Murray.

They are so focussed on him playing tennis that they have forgotten how to play team sports.

It's no coincidence that now he is done, their rugby and football teams have improved a bit.

It must be a little embarrassing for Scotland to have never made it through to the seconnd round of a tournament though. Wales do it every now and then, Northern ireland have managed it twice and yet Scotland can't do it. Even in this day and age of extended qualification and tournaments in which more teams go through than dont.

Still as Andy Murray ages and declines expect their rugby and football teams to get better. Unless they find another tennis superstar in the glens somewhere.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

In amongst all this England angst.... on 09:31 - Jun 23 with 581 viewsWeWereZombies

In amongst all this England angst.... on 08:36 - Jun 23 by GeoffSentence

I blame Andy Murray.

They are so focussed on him playing tennis that they have forgotten how to play team sports.

It's no coincidence that now he is done, their rugby and football teams have improved a bit.

It must be a little embarrassing for Scotland to have never made it through to the seconnd round of a tournament though. Wales do it every now and then, Northern ireland have managed it twice and yet Scotland can't do it. Even in this day and age of extended qualification and tournaments in which more teams go through than dont.

Still as Andy Murray ages and declines expect their rugby and football teams to get better. Unless they find another tennis superstar in the glens somewhere.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19387800.rangers-mad-tom-stoltman-wins-worl

In amongst all this England angst.... on 09:42 - Jun 23 with 556 viewsSwansea_Blue

In amongst all this England angst.... on 07:41 - Jun 23 by WeWereZombies

It does ring hollow now that Nodge are in the top division again (well, for a season at least...) but the bigger question, for me anyway, is whether this was a brief flowering of Scotland's potential or, as I hope, a project that Steve Clarke will be allowed to progress.

And Carrot Road will never resound to the type of vocal ability on show at Hampden.

My question is where have all the decent Scottish players gone? Once upon a time they used to have some real top class talent.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

In amongst all this England angst.... on 09:44 - Jun 23 with 549 viewsSouperJim

Irony alert

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

In amongst all this England angst.... on 09:57 - Jun 23 with 519 viewsWeWereZombies

In amongst all this England angst.... on 09:42 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

My question is where have all the decent Scottish players gone? Once upon a time they used to have some real top class talent.

Robertson, McTominay, Fraser (on the rare occasions he is fit) and Tierney are class. Gilmour, Patterson and probably Kevin Nisbet are going to be. However, that's only half a team and the shortcomings elsewhere get exploited by the workmanlike sides such as Croatia and the Czech Republic.

But I think the big problem lying ahead for Scotland is who replaces David Marshall as goalkeeper in a year or two as he (and Craig Gordon) get too old for international football, I don't see any obvious candidates developing at the moment.

In amongst all this England angst.... on 10:03 - Jun 23 with 505 viewsDarth_Koont

Scotland are the Ipswich of International Football. Not good enough when it counted. 😢

Pronouns: He/Him

In amongst all this England angst.... on 10:22 - Jun 23 with 471 viewsDarth_Koont

In amongst all this England angst.... on 09:57 - Jun 23 by WeWereZombies

Robertson, McTominay, Fraser (on the rare occasions he is fit) and Tierney are class. Gilmour, Patterson and probably Kevin Nisbet are going to be. However, that's only half a team and the shortcomings elsewhere get exploited by the workmanlike sides such as Croatia and the Czech Republic.

But I think the big problem lying ahead for Scotland is who replaces David Marshall as goalkeeper in a year or two as he (and Craig Gordon) get too old for international football, I don't see any obvious candidates developing at the moment.

Agree re: keepers coming through. We may squeak a year or two more from Marshall but we need someone else to emerge sharpish.

I’m actually quite positive despite going out. Most of the time over the last 30 or so years we’ve not had any genuine quality but I think with Tierney, Robertson and Gilmour we have the world-class players we’ve missed. Then add in the next level of McTominay, Fraser, Adams, McGinn and Armstrong we’ve got more of the solid Prem players we’ve been missing. That’s as good a base as I can remember since the early 80s – and still relatively young too.

We were undone by the Czechs and the Croats by differences in finishing. We probably won’t get lucky with some wunderkind attacking player but if the overall team can develop and start putting more pressure on the opposition then we should create more and better chances at least.

Also my dark horse player to come into this team and sharpen it going forward is Ryan Gauld. He’s been out in the wilderness for a while but looks like he had a great season in Portugal and seems to be realising his potential.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024