Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death 11:51 - Jun 23 with 868 viewsSteve_M

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/23/police-officer-guilty-of-manslau

Good.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 11:56 - Jun 23 with 832 viewsPositivelyPortman

The utter b@stard.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 11:56 - Jun 23 with 832 viewsPinewoodblue

Be nice to hear an explanation as to why it took so long.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 11:58 - Jun 23 with 805 viewsSteve_M

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 11:56 - Jun 23 by Pinewoodblue

Be nice to hear an explanation as to why it took so long.

At least in part because of a decade of cuts to every aspect of the criminal justice system.

Whether the police made every effort to assist the investigation, which I think is what you are implying is possible, is unknown.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 11:59 - Jun 23 with 804 viewsEastTownBlue

Jury still considering the assualt charge against his colleague.
Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 23:06 - Jun 23 with 667 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Relieved and pleased for Dalian's family.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 23:17 - Jun 23 with 652 viewsOldsmoker

The first time in 35 years a police officer has been convicted of manslaughter whilst on duty.
The number of deaths involving the police since 1990 are 1,786.

https://www.inquest.org.uk/deaths-in-police-custody

Make of that what you will.
My take is that none of those 1,786 were as famous as Dalian Atkinson at the time of their death.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 07:37 - Jun 24 with 588 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 23:17 - Jun 23 by Oldsmoker

The first time in 35 years a police officer has been convicted of manslaughter whilst on duty.
The number of deaths involving the police since 1990 are 1,786.

https://www.inquest.org.uk/deaths-in-police-custody

Make of that what you will.
My take is that none of those 1,786 were as famous as Dalian Atkinson at the time of their death.

For a bit of useful context, “deaths involving police” includes deaths where police were the ‘last professional contact’ and in some cases deaths that occur weeks after police release someone from custody will be included in these numbers.

Therefore the number of convictions are understandably low.

Also worth pointing out those total numbers would be far lower without the wide ranging cuts which have wiped out other aspects of support workers and who would instead have been ‘last professional contact’ and police would not have been needed to fill in the gaps which they are (for the most part) not the most appropriate agency to deal
Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 08:46 - Jun 24 with 537 viewsbluelagos

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 07:37 - Jun 24 by King_of_Portman_Rd

For a bit of useful context, “deaths involving police” includes deaths where police were the ‘last professional contact’ and in some cases deaths that occur weeks after police release someone from custody will be included in these numbers.

Therefore the number of convictions are understandably low.

Also worth pointing out those total numbers would be far lower without the wide ranging cuts which have wiped out other aspects of support workers and who would instead have been ‘last professional contact’ and police would not have been needed to fill in the gaps which they are (for the most part) not the most appropriate agency to deal

I don't wish to be overly blunt, but given the "context" of your post let me share one quick thought.

We are often told about the "bad apples" and how "no one hates bad cops more than good cops"

Which is reassuring. But then I read your post. Am sure you and others think of you as a "good cop"...why wouldn't they eh.

And I think about how some "good cops" bend over backwards to cover up for, protect and hide the badduns.

And then I wonder what a "good cop", what would be their first reaction be to yesterday's news? To be utterly ashamed and to condemn the disgusting action of that copper who killed Dalian? Or to worry about themselves and their own / police reputation first?

Clear to me from your post, that it appears your first reaction was the second of the two.

I won't labour the point, I'll just ask you maybe have a day off rather than trying to argue about "understandably low" level of convictions, which for "context" - before yesterday was actually nil.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 09:22 - Jun 24 with 511 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 08:46 - Jun 24 by bluelagos

I don't wish to be overly blunt, but given the "context" of your post let me share one quick thought.

We are often told about the "bad apples" and how "no one hates bad cops more than good cops"

Which is reassuring. But then I read your post. Am sure you and others think of you as a "good cop"...why wouldn't they eh.

And I think about how some "good cops" bend over backwards to cover up for, protect and hide the badduns.

And then I wonder what a "good cop", what would be their first reaction be to yesterday's news? To be utterly ashamed and to condemn the disgusting action of that copper who killed Dalian? Or to worry about themselves and their own / police reputation first?

Clear to me from your post, that it appears your first reaction was the second of the two.

I won't labour the point, I'll just ask you maybe have a day off rather than trying to argue about "understandably low" level of convictions, which for "context" - before yesterday was actually nil.

I think you have misread or misinterpreted any (if not all) of my posts involving policing and I try not to get involved as I appreciate the strength of feeling on the matter.

I’ve never said anything to glorify or blindly defend policing. I have been critical but try to add an objective viewpoint as with everything there is terrible, good and a whole swathe of in between.

I’ve never said anything that would lead you to take such a stance with me and am baffled that because you see me as a police officer (not sure I’ve ever said I was) that I should ‘take a day off’ adding to threads about policing.
and as I don’t shout about how terrible this situation has been I am a ‘bad apple’ I don’t think it needs to be said that it is a devastating and truly horrendous thing to happen and I am pleased that some justice has been served… but like I said, I don’t think that is up for debate in anyone’s eyes
Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 19:32 - Jun 25 with 419 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Manslaughter conviction over Dalian's death on 08:46 - Jun 24 by bluelagos

Very difficult to comment on general cases.

This case was absolutely clear and yet took 5 years to come to court. Why was that? The only doubt could have been whether the correct conviction was murder or manslaughter, surely.

Without looking at other cases it is difficult to know whether this was a one-off case or whether the assertion that it attracted media attention that other cases did not. It is a legitimate concern that the latter may be true.

I also still fear that the Home Secretary may have something to say/action to take on this case. She chose to suggest increased use of tasers as it came to its conclusion so there is little doubt she will not see this as a racially-motivated manslaughter, despite the overwhelming evidence that it was. A simple reading of the language describing Monk's fears demonstrates the racial element.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024