Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for scholars of the English language 17:54 - Jun 25 with 1754 viewsGeoffSentence

Is there an equivalent of the verb 'to show' but for smell.

To show means that there s something you would like someone to see, as in 'I would like to show you something'

But if there was something you wanted to smell, is there a word that would work in the same way?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Question for scholars of the English language on 17:57 - Jun 25 with 1736 viewsMullet

Huff this buh

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Question for scholars of the English language on 17:58 - Jun 25 with 1721 viewsChiefXL

Waft?
Question for scholars of the English language on 18:02 - Jun 25 with 1717 viewsDarth_Koont

Smell my cheese!

Substitute “cheese” accordingly.

Pronouns: He/Him

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:03 - Jun 25 with 1714 viewsGeoffSentence

Question for scholars of the English language on 17:57 - Jun 25 by Mullet

Huff this buh

'I would like to huff you my malodorous emission'

That's the kind of usage I am after, not sure that's correct.

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:23 - Jun 25 with 1682 viewsBigManBlue

Don’t think so. A modal + infinitive, or passive construction are the only general uses that come to mind.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:25 - Jun 25 with 1674 viewsMullet

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:03 - Jun 25 by GeoffSentence

'I would like to huff you my malodorous emission'

That's the kind of usage I am after, not sure that's correct.

Definitely is

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:31 - Jun 25 with 1663 viewsMerseyBlue

'I would like to give you a sniffter' a double f to avoid confusion with a small amount of alcohol.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:36 - Jun 25 with 1648 viewsGeoffSentence

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:23 - Jun 25 by BigManBlue

Don’t think so. A modal + infinitive, or passive construction are the only general uses that come to mind.

UNless you care to explain that as if speaking to a simpleton (toptip: I am one) I will have to invoke google to understand all that.

Login to get fewer ads

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:44 - Jun 25 with 1623 viewsRyorry

Just "send you some smells/whiffs/scents/fragrances/perfumes"? (select noun of your choice). Or "blow some your way" if referring to farts.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

[Redacted] on 19:14 - Jun 25 with 1603 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Question for scholars of the English language on 19:34 - Jun 25 with 1570 viewsNthQldITFC

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:23 - Jun 25 by BigManBlue

I just upvoted that on the basis that it sounds very impressive, even though I don't know what it means. A bit like classical music to me.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Question for scholars of the English language on 19:39 - Jun 25 with 1555 viewsRyorry

Question for scholars of the English language on 19:34 - Jun 25 by NthQldITFC

I just upvoted that on the basis that it sounds very impressive, even though I don't know what it means. A bit like classical music to me.

My take on this re classical music is that I actually don't *want* explanations of how or why individual pieces work, because that, for me, destroys their magic by reducing the pieces to nuts & bolts.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Question for scholars of the English language on 19:46 - Jun 25 with 1542 viewsjeera

You're switching roles with those examples though.

In one you are the subject whereas in the second example the other person is the subject.

So you are asking something of someone else; to smell. It is they who are the subject.

In the first sentence is it you who is actively showing them whatever it is you are showing them. We will assume your innocence here and that is is a kumquat or something you have on display.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Question for scholars of the English language on 19:49 - Jun 25 with 1536 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Sniff this.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Question for scholars of the English language on 19:50 - Jun 25 with 1534 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The closest I can think of is "to waft":

"I wafted the cherrywood smoke from the barbecue towards those seated around the table, and they salivated expectantly."

To create a current of air in order to move airborne particles in a particular direction; to put a smell in front of a person.
Question for scholars of the English language on 19:54 - Jun 25 with 1524 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Question for scholars of the English language on 19:50 - Jun 25 by ArnoldMoorhen

The closest I can think of is "to waft":

"I wafted the cherrywood smoke from the barbecue towards those seated around the table, and they salivated expectantly."

To create a current of air in order to move airborne particles in a particular direction; to put a smell in front of a person.

My second best would be "to perfume".

My third best would be "to aromatise".

My fourth best would be "to atomise", in the precise sense of the noun "atomiser".

And in last place: "to air freshen" verb. What an air freshener does.
Question for scholars of the English language on 20:07 - Jun 25 with 1506 viewsjeera

Question for scholars of the English language on 19:54 - Jun 25 by ArnoldMoorhen

My second best would be "to perfume".

My third best would be "to aromatise".

My fourth best would be "to atomise", in the precise sense of the noun "atomiser".

And in last place: "to air freshen" verb. What an air freshener does.

Exude?

Emit?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Question for scholars of the English language on 21:02 - Jun 25 with 1463 viewsBigManBlue

Question for scholars of the English language on 18:36 - Jun 25 by GeoffSentence

UNless you care to explain that as if speaking to a simpleton (toptip: I am one) I will have to invoke google to understand all that.

Tldr - probably, nothing. It’s one of those verbs where there is no active accusative meaning, maybe because it’s derived from a sensory perception. For what it’s worth I believe that ‘show’ comes from the Middle English for ‘to reveal’ in a prophetic sense, so it would have originally had a more intellectual than visual sense.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2021 21:03]

Question for scholars of the English language on 21:05 - Jun 25 with 1458 viewsBigManBlue

Question for scholars of the English language on 19:34 - Jun 25 by NthQldITFC

Much obliged - 18 months of teaching English to slavic speakers has turned me into a pedant of the highest order....

Question for scholars of the English language on 21:13 - Jun 25 with 1444 viewsronnyd

Question for scholars of the English language on 21:05 - Jun 25 by BigManBlue

Much obliged - 18 months of teaching English to slavic speakers has turned me into a pedant of the highest order....

.... and it shows. Just kidding mate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024