Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mechanic help please... 12:29 - Jun 28 with 998 viewsSparky85

I have a 2011 ford focus diesel and after a weekend breakdown, I need 2 new fuel injectors.

I have been quoted various prices to buy them (£150-£300 each). Mechanic is saying £700-£800 each to buy and install.

Is he right, or am I being overcharged?
Mechanic help please... on 12:34 - Jun 28 with 964 viewswkj

Really depends on the engine. When I had mine go on a 2008 Astra Estate, I was quoted £600-£900 for one. I decided to SORN the car and sell it to someone as a fixer-upper.

Sadly though, I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of your repair comes close or exceeds the value of the vehicle. Having 2 go at once is not good luck, and I hope it isn't symptomatic of a larger issue.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mechanic help please... on 12:36 - Jun 28 with 943 viewsdickie

I had big problems with a Mondeo TDCI. Injectors at the time were 250 a pop and i needed four. I bought some second hand ones in the hope that I could just limp the car through another year before scrapping it but then the fuel pump kicked the bucket writing the thing off. Thusly, I'll never buy a common rail diesel car again.

What's the car worth?
Mechanic help please... on 12:38 - Jun 28 with 934 viewshype313

Mechanic help please... on 12:36 - Jun 28 by dickie

I had big problems with a Mondeo TDCI. Injectors at the time were 250 a pop and i needed four. I bought some second hand ones in the hope that I could just limp the car through another year before scrapping it but then the fuel pump kicked the bucket writing the thing off. Thusly, I'll never buy a common rail diesel car again.

What's the car worth?

Duel Mass Flywheels are also a big problem for Mondeo's and Focus around that time.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mechanic help please... on 12:39 - Jun 28 with 924 viewsEly_Blue

Get rid and get a half decent car 😂

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Mechanic help please... on 12:39 - Jun 28 with 922 viewsSparky85

Mechanic help please... on 12:34 - Jun 28 by wkj

Really depends on the engine. When I had mine go on a 2008 Astra Estate, I was quoted £600-£900 for one. I decided to SORN the car and sell it to someone as a fixer-upper.

Sadly though, I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of your repair comes close or exceeds the value of the vehicle. Having 2 go at once is not good luck, and I hope it isn't symptomatic of a larger issue.

It's the 1.6 turbo diesel

Apparently an issue with the engine year. .
Mechanic help please... on 12:40 - Jun 28 with 913 viewsSparky85

Mechanic help please... on 12:36 - Jun 28 by dickie

What's the car worth?

£2,500 according to we buy any car
Mechanic help please... on 12:40 - Jun 28 with 909 viewshype313

Mechanic help please... on 12:40 - Jun 28 by Sparky85

So you'll get offered £350 then.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mechanic help please... on 12:42 - Jun 28 with 896 viewsclive_baker

Had the same issue on a Golf diesel in the past, cost about £500 for 1 IIRC.

As others have said, be mindful not to overspend on a 10 year old car, it might be a false economy, depending on mileage and general condition other than this issue of course.

I'm sure a mechanic only needs to open a bonnet and it's a couple of hundred quid nowadays.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Mechanic help please... on 12:43 - Jun 28 with 893 viewsChondzoresk

The cost is in the injectors. Fitting them is quite straightforward. I would shop around, get second and third quotes.
Mechanic help please... on 12:48 - Jun 28 with 856 viewsChondzoresk

Mechanic help please... on 12:40 - Jun 28 by Sparky85

Wouldn't use 'we buy any car'. Not good. As someone has already alluded to.....
'We offer £2,500', when they see it and its issues, it really will be £350, if you are lucky.
Mechanic help please... on 13:01 - Jun 28 with 804 viewsHARRY10

I would try these

https://www.whocanfixmycar.com/

i used Halfords as I had a free MOT - the work quoted to pass was around £540, I eventually got it done for £265 at one of these who quoted for the work, nearer as well

The work required goes to all local garages signed up, and they quote - make it binding before they start

Others I know have used this, and it works

Don't be frightened to admit your car has a problem or problems as I doubt Ford would be issuing faulty injectors

otherwise good luck
Mechanic help please... on 13:05 - Jun 28 with 785 viewsfootball89

I did mine myself on a 1.8 s max, depends on how accessible they are, they also may need coding to the ecu.
Mechanic help please... on 13:19 - Jun 28 with 741 viewsSparky85

Thanks for your help everyone.
Mechanic help please... on 13:35 - Jun 28 with 687 viewsjeera

Mechanic help please... on 12:38 - Jun 28 by hype313

Duel Mass Flywheels are also a big problem for Mondeo's and Focus around that time.

Yes I can confirm that, bloody things rattling away knowing that's a whole new sodding kit that's required.

As for matey's, his is the TDCI.

I had a Focus TDCi and it was the worst thing I've ever bought. Nightmare of a vehicle and wouldn't wish them on anyone.

To the OP, get rid before the next things goes, then the next and so on.

Bottomless money pit.

Edit: mistake edited.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2021 13:38]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mechanic help please... on 13:42 - Jun 28 with 654 viewsSparky85

Mechanic help please... on 13:35 - Jun 28 by jeera

Yes I can confirm that, bloody things rattling away knowing that's a whole new sodding kit that's required.

I had a Focus TDCi and it was the worst thing I've ever bought. Nightmare of a vehicle and wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Bottomless money pit.

Thanks jeera

Everyone pretty much confirmed what I thought. Brilliant little car while it was running. But steering rack went last year (£1,000) and now this will likely be more.
Mechanic help please... on 13:52 - Jun 28 with 635 viewsSmithy

Mechanic help please... on 13:35 - Jun 28 by jeera

Bottomless money pit.

yep agree with that, had a petrol Focus and the car was superb, moved and had more miles to travel so went for the diesel, absolute bag of cr*p.

Injectors are relatively easy to replace if you know a little with cars, although I do think the Fords are hard to get to and probably need collaboration. Had a MG (bmw engine) and to replace was just remove and drop new one in, so easy, why can't all cars be like this?

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Mechanic help please... on 13:56 - Jun 28 with 624 viewsjeera

Mechanic help please... on 13:52 - Jun 28 by Smithy

yep agree with that, had a petrol Focus and the car was superb, moved and had more miles to travel so went for the diesel, absolute bag of cr*p.

Injectors are relatively easy to replace if you know a little with cars, although I do think the Fords are hard to get to and probably need collaboration. Had a MG (bmw engine) and to replace was just remove and drop new one in, so easy, why can't all cars be like this?

Oh their petrol's have always been fine as far I'm concerned too.

I once bought an Orion when I was young, 1.4L which I drove to France and Belgium and all over the place here.

I had it for 8 years in the end because it was so reliable I didn't see the point in replacing it.

I still got £850 for it even then. Cracking little car.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mechanic help please... on 20:36 - Jun 28 with 524 viewsJamestownPrince

Hi,

Theres a channel on Youtube called SalvagerebuildsUK - they repaired a fair few work trucks (transit style) a while back and they all had similar issues - injectors!

If its only a couple that are damaged, it may be worth getting them "overhauled", although the others will end up going the same way... the poster that said its an easy enough fix once you have the parts seems correct

Heres a video about one of the Vauxhall vans where they had the same issue
Mechanic help please... on 20:39 - Jun 28 with 512 viewsChondzoresk

Mechanic help please... on 20:36 - Jun 28 by JamestownPrince

Hi,

Theres a channel on Youtube called SalvagerebuildsUK - they repaired a fair few work trucks (transit style) a while back and they all had similar issues - injectors!

If its only a couple that are damaged, it may be worth getting them "overhauled", although the others will end up going the same way... the poster that said its an easy enough fix once you have the parts seems correct

Heres a video about one of the Vauxhall vans where they had the same issue

Great channel to watch. They know their stuff these guys. I think they are from Kent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024