Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A possible cause of long Covid may have been found 11:42 - Jun 29 with 1569 viewsStokieBlue

It seems that some C19 infections result in dormant viruses already within the person to be reactivated. Specifically the virus causing concern is the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV).

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-06/wo-lcs062221.php

It could be that C19 reactivates the virus, it could be that it's inhibiting the immune systems responses that keep these viruses dormant or it could be that the body is putting so much effort into fighting off C19 that it doesn't concentrate on these other viruses.

If it turns out that EBV is a major cause of long covid then knowing that will allow scientists and doctors to work on a treatment which would be great news although it's too early to tell if this is actually the case.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 11:52 - Jun 29 with 1462 viewsRyorry

Very interesting - thanks for posting that 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 12:59 - Jun 29 with 1329 viewshomer_123

"...or it could be that the body is putting so much effort into fighting off C19 that it doesn't concentrate on these other viruses."

That's the one that 'feels' right doesn't it (yes, I know that's not scientific). Feels logical to me that the body works so hard that it allows typically dormant viruses to come back (even if not fully).

There are eight dormant herpes viruses if memory serves, from chickenpox to cold sores. I'm sure it's >90% of humans have at least one herpes virus!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 13:21 - Jun 29 with 1278 viewsBloomBlue

The Brian Epstein virus sounds like it would be Long, Long, Long Covid?
A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 21:48 - Jul 6 with 1006 viewsStokieBlue

Let's hope this research is accurate and they can work quickly to find a treatment as the modelling is showing there could be up to 5000 cases of long covid per day over the summer given the rule changes post the 19th July:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/06/data-predicting-2m-uk-summer-covid

SB

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 21:56 - Jul 6 with 940 viewsOldsmoker

Of course the right-wing nutters will say the EBV virus was allowed to enter our country during the last Labour government 'cos they're soft on immigration.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 22:18 - Jul 6 with 843 viewschrismakin

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 21:48 - Jul 6 by StokieBlue

Let's hope this research is accurate and they can work quickly to find a treatment as the modelling is showing there could be up to 5000 cases of long covid per day over the summer given the rule changes post the 19th July:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/06/data-predicting-2m-uk-summer-covid

SB

This is so important

Reading tonight, expectation is 100k daily cases, maybe 100 deaths per day, by summer, how many thousand of long covid cases is it going to start.......

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 22:52 - Jul 6 with 744 viewsPinewoodblue

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 21:48 - Jul 6 by StokieBlue

SB

I'm sure that, as in the past, we are being given worst case scenario figures it really doesn't help. There is a clue when they use the word 'could'.

As a matter of interest a relative was hospitalised following vaccination when the vaccine triggered a dormant virus. Think you will find that most of us are carrying a dormant virus of some sort .

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 23:02 - Jul 6 with 696 viewsStokieBlue

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 22:52 - Jul 6 by Pinewoodblue

I'm sure that, as in the past, we are being given worst case scenario figures it really doesn't help. There is a clue when they use the word 'could'.

As a matter of interest a relative was hospitalised following vaccination when the vaccine triggered a dormant virus. Think you will find that most of us are carrying a dormant virus of some sort .

It was nearly 30,000 cases today and we are still under restrictions, lets see in 4 or 5 weeks time when everything is open and there are no masks if 100,000 was the "worst case scenario".

I don't think you can dismiss things because of the word "could". In any modelling you aren't going to say "will definitely", it's just never done.

Which other numbers are you thinking of which were worst case? They usually give a range due to the uncertainty of variables.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 23:06 - Jul 6 with 677 viewswkj

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 23:02 - Jul 6 by StokieBlue

It was nearly 30,000 cases today and we are still under restrictions, lets see in 4 or 5 weeks time when everything is open and there are no masks if 100,000 was the "worst case scenario".

I don't think you can dismiss things because of the word "could". In any modelling you aren't going to say "will definitely", it's just never done.

Which other numbers are you thinking of which were worst case? They usually give a range due to the uncertainty of variables.

SB

I think we're at the tipping point now. If we don't ease the lockdowns, then more and more people are just going to stop following the rules. If we do end up in another lockdown over Christmas, I would not be shocked to see a lot of civil unrest, even if it is the right decision.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 23:30 - Jul 6 with 606 viewsPinewoodblue

A possible cause of long Covid may have been found on 23:02 - Jul 6 by StokieBlue

SB

They didn't give a range they have been making clear statements could clearly represents the worst case scenario.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024