Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question about land borders if I may... 12:10 - Jun 29 with 821 viewsclive_baker

Forgive me if this is stoopid, I've never had to consider it before. I moved out of a London flat in 2020 where my borders were clearly defined and easy to interpret. Now I'm in the sticks, all I have to go off is a site plan that was purchased as part of the conveyancing work, and shows a red line that isn't particularly precise. It doesn't detail any trees at the back of my plot, so I'm not sure if they're mine or not. If they're not, then they're public I guess as I back on to a public space. Anyone know where to start in determining this?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:17 - Jun 29 with 780 viewsLord_Lucan

Is there a small fence behind or in front of the trees?

I'm no expert on this but I think the red line should have a small right angle at the end going back or forward which determines who owns the fence - or trees.

Or something like that.

I am sure someone will give you an accurate answer so I'm not sure why i have bothered to write this really.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:19 - Jun 29 with 753 viewsclive_baker

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:17 - Jun 29 by Lord_Lucan

I'm no expert on this but I think the red line should have a small right angle at the end going back or forward which determines who owns the fence - or trees.

Or something like that.

I am sure someone will give you an accurate answer so I'm not sure why i have bothered to write this really.

The fence is on 'my side' of the trees, so in front. That's the issue really, they've grown so big they're damaging the fence and I wondered if I can just start lopping them back, which I guess I can't if they're not mine.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:19 - Jun 29 with 753 viewsUB9Blue

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:17 - Jun 29 by Lord_Lucan

Or something like that.

Ownership of boundary fences used to be denoted with a red T against those that you were responsible for.

Not sure if they still do that these days.
Question about land borders if I may... on 12:21 - Jun 29 with 739 viewsUB9Blue

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:19 - Jun 29 by clive_baker

The fence is on 'my side' of the trees, so in front. That's the issue really, they've grown so big they're damaging the fence and I wondered if I can just start lopping them back, which I guess I can't if they're not mine.

Any tress that overhang your property can be cut back along a vertical line above your boundary but I believe that you have to offer the offcuts back to the owner of the trees.
Question about land borders if I may... on 12:22 - Jun 29 with 728 viewsLord_Lucan

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:19 - Jun 29 by UB9Blue

Ownership of boundary fences used to be denoted with a red T against those that you were responsible for.

Not sure if they still do that these days.

Yes, that is what I was clumsily trying to explain.

My hunch is that they aren't Clives trees if they are behind a fence - but he is perfectly entitled to cut down anything that is overhanging the fence and chuck the branches back over - or whack a load of copper nails in the trees.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:25 - Jun 29 with 704 viewsWeWereZombies

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:19 - Jun 29 by clive_baker

You need to check with the local authority for TPOs (Tree Preservation Orders) before you start lopping. If there are none I suggest you go for it, in these budget constrained times I am sure the council will feel happy about you doing their work for them (and you are entitled to remove any part of a tree that encroaches upon your land - and you should leave the branches on the 'tree' side of the fence.)

As a courtesy to your neighbours it would be a good idea to ask around and see if anyone has an 'emotional' attachment to the trees so that you can explain to them why you are lopping them back. One of those 'stitch in time' things, usually ten times harder to get your point across after the event than doing so beforehand.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:27 - Jun 29 with 693 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

This might help - http://www.boundary-problems.co.uk/boundary-problems/fences.html

Similar to what Lucan says, T-Mark might be on your deeds or plan.
Question about land borders if I may... on 12:31 - Jun 29 with 660 viewsHARRY10

https://www.avsfencing.co.uk/news/which-side-of-the-fence-is-mine/

check with the council to see if any of the trees have a preservation order (TP0) before starting any work on them
Login to get fewer ads

[Redacted] on 12:42 - Jun 29 with 616 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Question about land borders if I may... on 14:05 - Jun 29 with 487 viewsGuthrum

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:21 - Jun 29 by UB9Blue

Any tress that overhang your property can be cut back along a vertical line above your boundary but I believe that you have to offer the offcuts back to the owner of the trees.

In case they have fruit on them (which was the original purpose of that stipulation).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Question about land borders if I may... on 16:49 - Jun 29 with 411 viewsallezlesbleus

Question about land borders if I may... on 12:25 - Jun 29 by WeWereZombies

You need to check with the local authority for TPOs (Tree Preservation Orders) before you start lopping. If there are none I suggest you go for it, in these budget constrained times I am sure the council will feel happy about you doing their work for them (and you are entitled to remove any part of a tree that encroaches upon your land - and you should leave the branches on the 'tree' side of the fence.)

As a courtesy to your neighbours it would be a good idea to ask around and see if anyone has an 'emotional' attachment to the trees so that you can explain to them why you are lopping them back. One of those 'stitch in time' things, usually ten times harder to get your point across after the event than doing so beforehand.

Slightly off track, but this is a true (and shocking story).

I live in rural Normandy and several years ago, I was at the mechanics in the local village when several blacked out vans went straight through the crossroads at about 100kms per hours. Anyone coming the other way would have been wiped out. My mechanic and I agreed that something serious had happened and I later found out that 2 guys were cutting down a tree and someone came up and shot one dead and seriously wounded the other.

It transpires that the shooter had sold the farm to another farmer, but had told him not to cut this one specific tree down, as he had planted it as a young child, with his (now deceased) father.

The farmer and a friend decided to cut the tree down and the shooter saw this and decided to seek retribution.

I often drive past the farm and cannot help feeling amazing sadness that 2 young children will grow up knowing that their father was killed for cutting down a tree.........mental.
Question about land borders if I may... on 17:00 - Jun 29 with 389 viewsOldsmoker

Question about land borders if I may... on 14:05 - Jun 29 by Guthrum

In case they have fruit on them (which was the original purpose of that stipulation).

This was a problem between 2 of my neighbours.
Neighbour A cut some overhanging branches off neighbour B tree and threw them back into his garden. Neighbour B got his son to help him throw them back into neighbour A garden. Neighbour A told neighbour B they were his and neighbour B said no they weren't and it was up to him to dispose of them.
The council agreed with neighbour B.
If you prune stuff on your side of the fence then it is your responsibility to dispose of it. If there is fruit, then you hand the fruit, and only the fruit, to the owner of the tree.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024