Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ouch! 22:02 - Jun 29 with 2021 viewsScuzzer

Not much doubt about that red surely.

Established 1968

Ouch! on 22:02 - Jun 29 with 1719 viewsGuthrum

Grisly challenge.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ouch! on 22:03 - Jun 29 with 1710 viewsVic

Amazed his leg didn’t snap in two.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Ouch! on 22:03 - Jun 29 with 1705 viewsSteve_M

Nope. Still think this is going to penalties.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ouch! on 22:06 - Jun 29 with 1677 viewsWacko

He clearly played the ball, eyes fixed on the ball, don't know how he could've done anything differently to win that challenge. It's not like he could predict where that guy's knee was. Total accident for me

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Ouch! on 22:07 - Jun 29 with 1657 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ouch! on 22:06 - Jun 29 by Wacko

He clearly played the ball, eyes fixed on the ball, don't know how he could've done anything differently to win that challenge. It's not like he could predict where that guy's knee was. Total accident for me

Yeah, but which ball?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ouch! on 22:09 - Jun 29 with 1633 viewsDubtractor

He had eyes on the ball, but it was reckless and out of control. You can't go in for challenges studs first and at knee height.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Ouch! on 22:10 - Jun 29 with 1634 viewshomer_123

Feet high...not in control....potential leg breaker. No brainer.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Ouch! on 22:10 - Jun 29 with 1634 viewsChurchman

Studs up knee and above height, flying in? Dangerous play, see you later. In the good ole days, that would have been a friendly hello, but much as I mourn their passing, those days have gone.

A leg breaker red for me.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 22:15]
Login to get fewer ads

Ouch! on 22:12 - Jun 29 with 1610 viewsEastTownBlue

Playing the ball first disappeared from the laws many years ago.
Ouch! on 22:14 - Jun 29 with 1592 viewsWacko

Ouch! on 22:10 - Jun 29 by Churchman

Studs up knee and above height, flying in? Dangerous play, see you later. In the good ole days, that would have been a friendly hello, but much as I mourn their passing, those days have gone.

I get all your points and it looked very bad but it was more of a volley clearance rather than a sliding challenge so I disagree that he was out of control.

Ljungberg makes my exact point as I write

Ouch! on 22:15 - Jun 29 with 1589 viewsbluestandard

I was about to say something similar. Of course it looks horrendous, but the guy was going for the ball, and made full contact with the ball. By the time his leg followed through and made contact with the other guys leg, the ball was above his head. Surely a high tackle should be penalised when the ball is on the ground / in the control of the other player, not when the ball has bounced high and is there to be won. Appreciate that this might not be the majority view though. Terrible accident for me.
Ouch! on 22:16 - Jun 29 with 1572 viewsNthQldITFC

I kind of agree with both sides, because he didn't actually go in studs up, but he got to the ball very much first, played upwards through the ball to clear it, and then his leg naturally ended up in a studs first position. I honestly don't know what you can do in that situation, but these days I guess you would have to pull out. Bad luck all round.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Ouch! on 22:17 - Jun 29 with 1560 viewsRocky

Not a leg breaker for me. He went for the ball and caught it on the full volley.
Very unlucky to get the red.
Ouch! on 22:18 - Jun 29 with 1546 viewstrncbluearmy

Went for the ball,no intent, not even a yellow
Ouch! on 22:18 - Jun 29 with 1547 viewsbluestandard

Ouch! on 22:16 - Jun 29 by NthQldITFC

I kind of agree with both sides, because he didn't actually go in studs up, but he got to the ball very much first, played upwards through the ball to clear it, and then his leg naturally ended up in a studs first position. I honestly don't know what you can do in that situation, but these days I guess you would have to pull out. Bad luck all round.

I think if you’re going to judge a red card on consequences alone ie. ignore intent and context of the challenge etc, then yes this is a red card all day long.
Ouch! on 22:20 - Jun 29 with 1530 viewsChurchman

Ouch! on 22:14 - Jun 29 by Wacko

I get all your points and it looked very bad but it was more of a volley clearance rather than a sliding challenge so I disagree that he was out of control.

Ljungberg makes my exact point as I write

I get what you are saying especially with how things look in slow motion. But even playing rubbish local league football back in the days of mud and black and white, if somebody had come in studs up on anyone in my team like that, his card would have been marked for later. Not as bad as the old over the top or crunch from behind, but in my view, still not a good thing.
Ouch! on 22:21 - Jun 29 with 1524 viewsJakeITFC

Ouch! on 22:09 - Jun 29 by Dubtractor

He had eyes on the ball, but it was reckless and out of control. You can't go in for challenges studs first and at knee height.

IMO it’s not a challenge - he’s just kicked a bouncing ball.
Ouch! on 22:24 - Jun 29 with 1509 viewsBonchosBicycle

Ouch! on 22:17 - Jun 29 by Rocky

Not a leg breaker for me. He went for the ball and caught it on the full volley.
Very unlucky to get the red.

Looks like the Ukrainian should have just gone off. Studs hit the guy in the chest.
Ouch! on 22:25 - Jun 29 with 1496 viewsNthQldITFC

Ouch! on 22:18 - Jun 29 by bluestandard

I think if you’re going to judge a red card on consequences alone ie. ignore intent and context of the challenge etc, then yes this is a red card all day long.

As horrific as it looked in real time, I think you'd have to take context into account and call that an unfortunate accident, especially given VAR allows the ref time to consider the context.

Ouch! on 22:28 - Jun 29 with 1480 viewsWacko

Ouch! on 22:21 - Jun 29 by JakeITFC

IMO it’s not a challenge - he’s just kicked a bouncing ball.

Yes because the Ukrainian wasn't in control of the ball, he was just chasing it. There could easily have been a Swede in his place instead

Ouch! on 22:32 - Jun 29 with 1462 viewsNthQldITFC

Ouch! on 22:28 - Jun 29 by Wacko

Yes because the Ukrainian wasn't in control of the ball, he was just chasing it. There could easily have been a Swede in his place instead

Watching online and a bit delayed but at 28:28 in extra time there was a challenge on the edge of the box where a Ukrainian kicked through the ball and a Swedish defender's momentum carried him on to the Ukrainian's studs in exactly the same way. No weight in it so not mentioned in commentary, but exactly the same situation, bar the consequences and severity.

Ouch! on 22:37 - Jun 29 with 1421 viewsZXBlue

Agreed. The other player ran into his foot.
Ouch! on 22:38 - Jun 29 with 1415 viewsWacko

Ouch! on 22:32 - Jun 29 by NthQldITFC

Watching online and a bit delayed but at 28:28 in extra time there was a challenge on the edge of the box where a Ukrainian kicked through the ball and a Swedish defender's momentum carried him on to the Ukrainian's studs in exactly the same way. No weight in it so not mentioned in commentary, but exactly the same situation, bar the consequences and severity.

Haha I was about to say the same

Ouch! on 22:40 - Jun 29 with 1402 viewsDarth_Koont

Really shyte rule. Clearly stretching for the ball and the opposition player ran into him.

Is a clash of heads in an aerial challenge a head butt now? If not, why not?

Pronouns: He/Him

Ouch! on 22:46 - Jun 29 with 1384 viewsPhilTWTD

Ouch! on 22:40 - Jun 29 by Darth_Koont

Really shyte rule. Clearly stretching for the ball and the opposition player ran into him.

Is a clash of heads in an aerial challenge a head butt now? If not, why not?

Indeed, how did it differ from the incident in the England game where Saka got caught by a German player's follow through? Wouldn't even have been a foul a little while ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024